Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When creating a family for multiple generations, do you play all of the descendants?

So like lets say your first generation has two kids. Then those two kids each have three kids. Do you play all of those sims? Or do you just choose one child to continue the legacy and let the others do their own thing?

Comments

• Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited August 2020
    I choose one to continue the legacy. I’ve never been one to play with multiple households at a time.
  • Options
    FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    Yup! On my legacy save, Garret (the founder) had a boy and a girl with Summer Holiday. When they died, I started to play with the boy in the same household and the girl married an alien disguised of asian Sim and moved to another lot.

Then I played with both households till they also got kids that had grown up and moved out. Now they are everywhere (one household on Newcrest, three on San Myshuno, one on Forgotten Hollow and one on Windenburg).
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I used to pick a heir and follow his/her story while letting the game take care of the others in ts3, but for some reason i am finding myself wanting to play with all descendants in the ts4 family i am focusing on.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I've tried to jump between families, but I get so wrapped up in what I have the current family pursuing that I'm reluctant to swap to another and leave the current one "on hold"

It's even more difficult if I don't really have a plan for them.

So I usually just stick to one heir and follow them. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    depends on the family, sometimes I'll leave the kids I don't play with their parents and switch between the two and other times I have branched out, one of my oldest families I no longer play I think I lost them, I let the youngest keep the house and the first and second moved out and had their lives before resurrecting them to play the second's households and the child of the first. As one side was a vampire and the other wasn't. It's fun if you're in the mood for it you decide how different or how similar each one grows up like it's a competition for who has the best life, otherwise well whichever one I like the most.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I was planning on rotating through whatever households I felt like playing with in this save, but I ended up only playing Villareal and yes, I do play all households because I have stories for all of them.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    No. There are too many descendants. I used to play them all in Sims 2 and with Sims 3, I had a one child policy but I don't do either of those anymore.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I just pick one kid to carry on the legacy. My sims tend to have a lot of kids so I couldn't really play them all anyway.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    In the sims 2 and 3 I play one child. Sims 4 I never have been able to play that way because there's no story progression for the game without mods. Everyone in the sims 4 stays idol without direction. I hate it.
  • Options
    MindofyMindofy Posts: 313 Member
    Yes! I start with a single sim, have them get married, start a family, then rotate with their kids when they move out. That way, the world never feels stale as each sim week, I'm playing a different household with different tasks, wants, and "feel." It's fun going between my normals, to my hippies, to my stangevillers, to my vamps, to my beach house, to my casters, etc... It's fun!
  • Options
    SimsSlaySimsSlay Posts: 57 Member
    Yes, majority of the time I’m playing with descendants with a twist. If my original sims have 4 kids, I will play all 4 sims but when those 4 start having their own kids, I will pick my favorite of the 4 and play that family only and continue on and on and on. I’m about 8 or 9 generations in to my current family.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It depends on the family. I usually make large, generational families anyway and am thusly attached to all the characters because I purposefully crafted them. In those cases when I split them between households, I micromanage them all.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    So like lets say your first generation has two kids. Then those two kids each have three kids. Do you play all of those sims? Or do you just choose one child to continue the legacy and let the others do their own thing?

I play with everybody. I have over 200 played Sims now, and it's been a battle to keep the number as low as it is.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    I became super attached to generation four and their children, and while I’ve mainly been focusing on one sim, I’m also invested in her cousin and her kids (who I had move in with her when they were teens). I’m trying to narrow my focus to one sim and recently separated the cousins due to an affair. My “favorite” is still a child, so I’m planning on rotating between the cousins for a bit, then when they’re all situated as adults probably narrow my focus on my favorite and her family... unless the game surprises me and my favorite changes (it has a few times this generation, lol).
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    My families usually have 9-15 kids each, so no, I can't haha. I pick my fav 3-4 per generation and rotate between them. If I can marry two families kids to each other I can get in an extra ;)
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    This is a problem for me. I want to play them all, but I want to only play one household.

Usually this means having a house full of 8 sims and only moving anyone out because I want a kid and there's no room. When I'm forced to move someone out I'm torn between setting them up with a spouse or giving them a kid and OMG NO I WON'T CONSTANTLY BE THERE TO WATCH THEM, and I don't want anyone in my family dying where I can't pick up their gravestone and put it in the family cemetery.

I've started making smaller families just so that I can micromanage easier. You get ONE kid, that kid is the heir no matter if they're weird-looking, and if the heir dies somehow (unlikely, but possible), then whoever's left gets another kid.

It's pretend, so I can be a control freak if I want. o.o
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    I'll play everyone to a point. Whenever I end up reaching the limit on household size, I'll take one or more of the younger characters and move them out to start over.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I choose 1 to continue the legacy, but I do check in on the others just to see how they're doing. :) MCCC makes that lots of fun.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I'm playing 4 premade families and 3 of them had 2 kids each while the other had 3 kids. So next generation will have 9 descendents!

I'm still deciding what to do. 9 households it's too much. It will take me forever to rotate anf i think i won't get as attached to each household as i am now. I also like to play 4 households in a 4 weeks seasons, so that way all households play in all seasons.

I'll play a bit more and try to figure out a solution for this.

For now i think that i'll have to decide in which ones i'll follow. If that is what im going to do then i won't choose the oldest but the one i find more interesting... or maybe i'll make some of the descendents live together...
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

I play every single one of them...until they run their course.
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    Yes, I play all of the descendants. Or how do you think I ended up with 270 Sims in my game? However, I now have a rule that a Sim has to die or move away (get deleted) until Another Sim can have a baby.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Yes, I do. I LOVE to play rotationally.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited August 2020
    Erja888 wrote: »
    Yes, I play all of the descendants. Or how do you think I ended up with 270 Sims in my game? However, I now have a rule that a Sim has to die or move away (get deleted) until Another Sim can have a baby.

Thats a cool work around! I might do that in my game.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited August 2020
    Erja888 wrote: »
    That's cool. How do you keep track of everyone and decide who gets to have a baby or get deleted?

I only limit occults because I don't want them overrunning my game. I had 681 sims the last I checked. Maybe I need to have a global population limit. I never really thought about it, though. I just let it grow organically.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yes, I've been playing nearly all of the descendants which is how I ended up with a huge rotation. I'm cutting back on that since I have so many sims, but yes, I do.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.