Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Blackwell Chronicles (On Hiatus)

Comments

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I'm finally here baby :sunglasses:
    The old references to other vamps flew over my head but I didn't care. There's something awesome about the vampire rockstar character even though I feel like everyone's tried it (I have a bunch squirreled away for safekeeping)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @InfraGreen Welcome to the thread! :smile:
    Haha well hopefully you remember Verena, she's kind of important :sweat_smile: The other vamps haven't really been explored in much detail so far :) Oh yeah, of course I had to do a vampire rockstar, it's just too good to miss in a vampire story :smiley:
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    More progress:
    1.5 - I love the way Morgyn talks, the sort of sarcastic, witty, slightly condescending tone. Curious as to what happened to the previous Sage now...I have a love-hate relationship with that garish leopard print tent XD I love how it’s the only proof Cordelia has of the whole situation.

1.6 I love that the Charm family own a little shop there! I like that Dandy has bought joy to Cordelia’s life. He’s given her a reason to laugh again and it’s sweet.

1.7 Nothing like that awful swarm of early morning customers X_X Gah, I hope the sprites don’t make things bad for her at her new job!

1.8 I can imagine actually watching one of those magic duels to be quite scary at first XD God I absolutely love your portrayal of Morgyn so much. I absolutely agree that Morgyn strikes me as the kind with some kind of a darker side to them. Makes you wonder if the ‘ready to rip out...old mentor’ line is an offhand joke or...something else. Heck, maybe their entire witty banter is a front for something darker. I can imagine most Practical spellcasters being considered boring by everyone else, I don’t imagine Simeon being a barrel of laughs either : p

1.9 Good old Morgyn, not even subtle dragging Cordie to the romance festival, bless them :p I really liked how Morgyn responded to Cordie’s question with ‘I am...Untamed’ as well.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    @InfraGreen Welcome to the thread! :smile:
    Haha well hopefully you remember Verena, she's kind of important :sweat_smile: The other vamps haven't really been explored in much detail so far :) Oh yeah, of course I had to do a vampire rockstar, it's just too good to miss in a vampire story :smiley:

She is unforgettable but let's be real, I am that stupid. :p
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @SnowBnuuy Oh wow, you've had quite the binge-reading session! :flushed:
    1.5 - I love the way Morgyn talks, the sort of sarcastic, witty, slightly condescending tone. Curious as to what happened to the previous Sage now...I have a love-hate relationship with that garish leopard print tent XD I love how it’s the only proof Cordelia has of the whole situation.
    Morgyn is one of the characters who are very alive in my head, I hear their yapping all the time :lol: (In the least crazy way possible :sweat_smile: ). Hehe that tent was almost a character of its own in those early chapters.
    1.6 I love that the Charm family own a little shop there! I like that Dandy has bought joy to Cordelia’s life. He’s given her a reason to laugh again and it’s sweet.
    I figured they needed some kind of magical jobs - I don't remember if they start off with any by default but owning a magical supply store that's been in Glimmerbrook for ages and has been run by the family for years seemed fitting :blush: Dandy is a sweetheart!
    1.7 Nothing like that awful swarm of early morning customers X_X Gah, I hope the sprites don’t make things bad for her at her new job!
    It's going better than her previous job, at the very least!
    1.8 I can imagine actually watching one of those magic duels to be quite scary at first XD God I absolutely love your portrayal of Morgyn so much. I absolutely agree that Morgyn strikes me as the kind with some kind of a darker side to them. Makes you wonder if the ‘ready to rip out...old mentor’ line is an offhand joke or...something else. Heck, maybe their entire witty banter is a front for something darker. I can imagine most Practical spellcasters being considered boring by everyone else, I don’t imagine Simeon being a barrel of laughs either : p
    Ooh, I like the way you think. Indeed, how much can Morgyn be trusted to be telling the truth, and on the flipside, are their jokes really just jokes? They certainly don't seem the most forthcoming.
    1.9 Good old Morgyn, not even subtle dragging Cordie to the romance festival, bless them :p I really liked how Morgyn responded to Cordie’s question with ‘I am...Untamed’ as well.
    I suppose that depends on what Morgyn's intentions were at the festival - it is a bit peculiar that they brought her there and them did not reciprocate her advances... Thank you! At that point I still had some readers referring to Morgyn as "he", so this was my way of trying to highlight their pronouns without making a fuss about it :smile:

@InfraGreen I wish the LOL button was still a thing! :joy:
    Post edited by ThePlumbob on
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob
    Your headcanons on Morgyn are quite similar to mine, in that they come across as having dubious morals, a witty sense of humour and quite a sophisicated manner of speech. I really like the life you breathe into the premades!
    Yeah, that makes sense. I had to put an NB pride flag in the living room of one of my past challenge characters' rooms, so people would realise they weren't male without coming across as 'making a fuss' as you say.
    This was a comforting read before work and on my break today so I'll probably be back soon enough once I've caught up on my other stuff!

they/them or she/her
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @SnowBnuuy Aww, thank you! Just to give you a heads up, it may not always continue to be a comforting read; I do have the home page riddled with disclaimers for a reason :sweat_smile: I'm glad you are enjoying the story though! :blush:
  • Options
    Time to rewind a little.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    @ThePlumbob It’s fine, any story I can escape into is comforting for me even if things get deep : ) I appreciate the heads up though! I read through the disclaimers and it's all good ^u^

Time for my madwoman rambles again, up to 1.14...
    1.10- Dandy taking on the sprites instead of Cordelia was a nice touch on his part. I imagine that yelling at Morgyn like that will have its eventual consequences, but part of me is wondering whether some of the things going on is the sprites playing their tricks again, somehow...

1.11: I’m with Cordelia in that the Rite of Ascension sounds horrid. I imagine it feeling horrible, as the magic essentially binds with your blood or something...I like that a little girls’ night out made Cordie feel a little better though!

1.12: Me overthinking as usual, but one reason I like the sprites so much, is because part of me sees them as a metaphorical representation of Cordie’s struggles after all she’s been through, not being able to find a place etc. Like any mental struggle, They come and go at the worst of times, they feel like a curse, it seems as if they will never leave...and I kinda see Dandy taking on the sprites as Dandy helping her to cope with her troubles by being a friend to her.
    The carved pumpkins are cute!

1:13- that Spooky Day bowl where the hand pops out would probably make me jump tbh XD bless Cordie sticking up for Dandelion, though. I feel like Mischief and Untamed magic could be considered dangerous in their own ways.

1.14- I can’t believe Lulu lied to Dandy like that! I know she’s the Sage of Mischief, but still that’s no excuse to lie to a friend.... Emilia and Darrel helping Cordie was a nice touch, and their little ‘superhero’ discussion was adorable : 3 I can already picture Morgyn being a very graceful skater. Under all that talented exterior though, I feel, lies a person with darker intentions...
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @SnowBnuuy Ok good, in that case hop right in :grimace: It's making me all nostalgic seeing your comments on the early chapters! :blush:
    1.10- Dandy taking on the sprites instead of Cordelia was a nice touch on his part. I imagine that yelling at Morgyn like that will have its eventual consequences, but part of me is wondering whether some of the things going on is the sprites playing their tricks again, somehow...
    This is a good point, how much of what Cordelia does is her personality, and how much is instigated by the sprites? Not that they necessarily compel her magically, but I'm sure years of being followed by them and trying to shake them has had an impact on her...
    1.11: I’m with Cordelia in that the Rite of Ascension sounds horrid. I imagine it feeling horrible, as the magic essentially binds with your blood or something...I like that a little girls’ night out made Cordie feel a little better though!
    A pessimist I see! You'll fit right in here then :D Maybe the Rite of Ascension is perfectly pleasant... though most things don't come without a trade-off. Then again, as Grace says here, it's not very common for a non-spellcaster to ascend anyway, since they need all three sages' blessings. Which is probably ot on the cards for Cordelia, even if she was inclined to pursue magic, heh.
    1.12: Me overthinking as usual, but one reason I like the sprites so much, is because part of me sees them as a metaphorical representation of Cordie’s struggles after all she’s been through, not being able to find a place etc. Like any mental struggle, They come and go at the worst of times, they feel like a curse, it seems as if they will never leave...and I kinda see Dandy taking on the sprites as Dandy helping her to cope with her troubles by being a friend to her.
    The carved pumpkins are cute!
    Overthinking is not a bad thing, it's definitely a smart decision not to take anything and anyone in the story at face value! I like your sprite theory, it definitely does seem that they have a connection to her mental wellbeing - and granted, they don't specifically "do" anything per say, apart from just be there, so their effects on her do impact her state of mind more than anything else! At least as far as we have seen, minus the events of chapter one where the sprites were rather proactive... I like your interpretation of Dandy's action's too :)
    1:13- that Spooky Day bowl where the hand pops out would probably make me jump tbh XD bless Cordie sticking up for Dandelion, though. I feel like Mischief and Untamed magic could be considered dangerous in their own ways.
    Oh, same! Yes, probably not wise of Cordie to be so reckless around the sages. Oof, which is more dangerous, Mischief magic or Untamed magic... Hold on to that thought!
    1.14- I can’t believe Lulu lied to Dandy like that! I know she’s the Sage of Mischief, but still that’s no excuse to lie to a friend.... Emilia and Darrel helping Cordie was a nice touch, and their little ‘superhero’ discussion was adorable : 3 I can already picture Morgyn being a very graceful skater. Under all that talented exterior though, I feel, lies a person with darker intentions...
    It is a bit odd that she just flat out lied to him without batting an eye, isn't it? She must have some practice, it would seem. I'm not overly keen on the Charms but they were definitely useful in this one! I do like their relationship as a couple, though. Of course Morgyn is a graceful skater. Morgyn would like you to know that they are brilliant and talented in every way imaginable and skating does not even begin to describe it and- I'll make them shut up :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob Thanks for your reply ^u^ It’s interesting hearing your responses and thoughts. The intrigue in the story has me hooked and you’ve done good to pace it well.

Anyway I’ve been bingeing again : p
    1.15: I love the idea of social potions being a way to cope with boring or awkward family functions XD Dandy calling Cordie his ‘best friend’ was so sweet. He’s so wholesome.

1.16: . “Contrary to popular belief, I don’t wake up this gorgeous, so I hope you don’t mind me being fashionably late.” This line made me laugh so much, it’s just such a Morgyn thing to say : p The Charm Manor is so nice, such a step up from the house in the base RoM and much more fitting for a long successful line of spellcasters! Yowch at Lulu implying Cordie deserved to be cursed with sprites XC

I feel like Morgyn and Simeon don’t hate Cordie, like Cordie thinks, but Lulu definitely has something of a chip of a shoulder about her. Interesting that Emilia had to become a caster to marry Darrel because of the family bloodline magic. I did laugh at that conversation at the end purely because of Morgyn’s witty comebacks, but I still feel like their humour is hiding something- but I’m not sure if it’s some kind of dark intention, or something has happened to them in the past and the constant jokes are they only way they cope.

1.17: Cordie’s little house isn’t that bad, Morgyn : p ooh the crystal fireplace is really nice!! The way you portray the mysterious nature of the Sages is really good as well. They’re almost as mysterious as the sprites sometimes : p I do love how Morgyn seems to come up when Cordie leasts expects them to and then they just disappear. I wonder what kind of coin that was?

1.18: Glimmerbrook is so pretty in the snow < 3 I knew Dandy wouldn’t pass up a chance for a snowball fight! Good on Dandy for standing up for himself and Cordie. Curious to know what these ‘reasons’ are Lulu has to dislike humans. I hope Cordie can still have a good Winterfest.

1.19: I love seeing Grace and Cordie having fun together, I really like Grace. Grace talking about Tomax learning under Morgyn, then her smile dropping, is making me go HMMM again...and that ending made me go HMMM...I feel like maybe she shouldn’t completely disregard what Grace has to say. Do not br blinded by your feelings, Cordie!

1.20: Wow, Gemma, watch your mouth! Youngins these days : p Morgyn’s lack of concern for anything, appearing/disappearing , beating around the bush and dubious morals...they all give me a sort of Cheshire Cat vibe. I did get a laugh out of the buzzer with Gemma, it’s the closest Gemma can get to getting her to be quiet! I’m glad Cordie enjoyed the night with Morgyn, but I think she needs to not ‘hang on’ to everything they say. Lulu with Dandelion, and Morgyn with Cordie- both sages know how to essentially wrap them around their little finger... It’s pretty manipulative.

Trouble is when you feel as if no-one wants you as a friend or otherwise in any way, you will happily allow yourself to get manipulated because you dismiss the red flags because at least you’re getting some kind of attention and affirmation (I know this by experience!) I understand that Cordie has dealt with being unwanted plenty of times in her life, and so I imagine this ‘on and off’ attention she’s getting from Morgyn is the best she’s going to get in her eyes, but I hope she can realise she has better friends, like Dandy and Grace.

I’m really hooked on this so far and I love with all of the characters and their varied and interesting personalities.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @SnowBnuuy Thank you so much <3 I try not to give too much away in my replies, so apologies if they're vague sometimes :D And wow, you've made quite a dent yet again!
    1.15: I love the idea of social potions being a way to cope with boring or awkward family functions XD Dandy calling Cordie his ‘best friend’ was so sweet. He’s so wholesome.
    Haha, yep, one way to deal with awkward extended family gettogethers :sweat_smile: Dandy is a sweetheart.
    1.16: . “Contrary to popular belief, I don’t wake up this gorgeous, so I hope you don’t mind me being fashionably late.” This line made me laugh so much, it’s just such a Morgyn thing to say : p The Charm Manor is so nice, such a step up from the house in the base RoM and much more fitting for a long successful line of spellcasters! Yowch at Lulu implying Cordie deserved to be cursed with sprites XC

I feel like Morgyn and Simeon don’t hate Cordie, like Cordie thinks, but Lulu definitely has something of a chip of a shoulder about her. Interesting that Emilia had to become a caster to marry Darrel because of the family bloodline magic. I did laugh at that conversation at the end purely because of Morgyn’s witty comebacks, but I still feel like their humour is hiding something- but I’m not sure if it’s some kind of dark intention, or something has happened to them in the past and the constant jokes are they only way they cope.
    Morgyn of course continues to be Morgyn. Oh I know, the houses in Glimmerbrook were a bit... questionable!

The sages definitely aren't on the same page when it comes to Cordelia. Simeon seems pretty neutral so far, Morgyn even somehwat intrigued. Lulu... is a different story. Interesting speculation about Morgyn's past!
    1.17: Cordie’s little house isn’t that bad, Morgyn : p ooh the crystal fireplace is really nice!! The way you portray the mysterious nature of the Sages is really good as well. They’re almost as mysterious as the sprites sometimes : p I do love how Morgyn seems to come up when Cordie leasts expects them to and then they just disappear. I wonder what kind of coin that was?
    It is not the most suitable abode for the winter, let's be honest :D Haha true, much like the sprites Morgyn has a way of appearing and disappearing, though in the sage's case, they're a welcome visitor in Cordelia's eyes, unlike the sprites :)
    1.18: Glimmerbrook is so pretty in the snow < 3 I knew Dandy wouldn’t pass up a chance for a snowball fight! Good on Dandy for standing up for himself and Cordie. Curious to know what these ‘reasons’ are Lulu has to dislike humans. I hope Cordie can still have a good Winterfest.
    It is, isn't it? Actually it's such a pretty world in general, shame it's so small. Lulu seems adamant that she has her reasons, though she definitely isn't very forthcoming about them, is she?
    1.19: I love seeing Grace and Cordie having fun together, I really like Grace. Grace talking about Tomax learning under Morgyn, then her smile dropping, is making me go HMMM again...and that ending made me go HMMM...I feel like maybe she shouldn’t completely disregard what Grace has to say. Do not br blinded by your feelings, Cordie!
    Grace is very chill. Probably not a good sign when something makes even an easy-going person like her pause. Of course, who knows what she bases her advice on, because she didn't really share that much either, but worth taking it into account in any case.
    1.20: Wow, Gemma, watch your mouth! Youngins these days : p Morgyn’s lack of concern for anything, appearing/disappearing , beating around the bush and dubious morals...they all give me a sort of Cheshire Cat vibe. I did get a laugh out of the buzzer with Gemma, it’s the closest Gemma can get to getting her to be quiet! I’m glad Cordie enjoyed the night with Morgyn, but I think she needs to not ‘hang on’ to everything they say. Lulu with Dandelion, and Morgyn with Cordie- both sages know how to essentially wrap them around their little finger... It’s pretty manipulative.

Trouble is when you feel as if no-one wants you as a friend or otherwise in any way, you will happily allow yourself to get manipulated because you dismiss the red flags because at least you’re getting some kind of attention and affirmation (I know this by experience!) I understand that Cordie has dealt with being unwanted plenty of times in her life, and so I imagine this ‘on and off’ attention she’s getting from Morgyn is the best she’s going to get in her eyes, but I hope she can realise she has better friends, like Dandy and Grace.
    Gemma Charm is not used not getting what she wants. I definitely see her as a bit of a spoilt brat, at least in this iteration :) Haha, Cheshire Cat. Oh yes, hanging on on everything Morgyn says is definitely exactly what Cordelia is doing. Seems those sages have a way with people.

Absolutely. If you're used to getting rejected and someone suddenly gives you all this special attention (and that someone happens to be an important influential spellcaster to top that), it would of course feel very validating. Even if they're a bit hot and cold. Especially when they're a bit hot and cold. After all, there's a reason Cordelia is all about Morgyn even though as you point out, there are now other people in her life that offer her a much more unconditional friendship.
    Thanks again, I'm really happy you're enjoying the story :blush:
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob
    Yeah exactly, Morgyn is using their influence to manipulate others, almost like a lot of IRL influential folk do...and to me that’s what it makes it so dark because that’s what it reminds me of. As with Grace that’s exactly it. When the chill or bubbly character goes into serious mode, you know something’s up. I wonder if we’ll ever encounter Tomax and find out what happened?

Get ready for round 3 of Blackwell rambles (sorry these ones are a bit long because I went into essay mode : p )
    1.21: Aww, so sweet of Cordie to get Dandy a violin for a present. Also love that she made it; another SimLit I’m reading mentioned about how a handmade gift means so much more, and it really does. < 3 Having that constant reminder of her mother’s death must be rough on Cordie, bless her. So we begin the chapter with a gift from the heart, and end the chapter with a gift...not from the heart, in my eyes. What Cordelia made was put together likely with scrap, but it meant something. What Morgyn got her was beautiful, luxury, but likely with no heartfelt feeling behind it.

On a side note, Dandy and Grace stand out to me as two of the only seemingly genuine people in Cordie’s life RN. Part of me is shipping Cordie and Dandy but I wonder if they’d be better off just as best buds.

1.22: ‘It’s all the dress’ NO Cordie you are lovely with or without the dress! Morgyn’s outfit really suits them. Masquerade masks are fitting, since both Morgyn and Cordie are both masking their true selves for different reasons.

That’refreshments’ comment by that woman...I am thinking- vampire maybe?
    I really, really liked the scene at the top of the estate, and the way that those awful memories come back to Cordie because of the masks. She tries and tries to shut it out, but they keep coming back, just like the sprites. I hope that her friends can help her try to heal as much as she can from the trauma.
    Morgyn trying to tell her it wasn’t her fault was interesting because it was the one line that didn’t come across as suspicious at all to me. ‘The prospect of having control...’ line sums up my idea of Morgyn very well.

1:23 Ooh, a chapter from Morgyn themselves! I honestly love the way you write their speech and thoughts, all very flowery and sophisticated. I can hear it in my head like I’m watching a movie and it’s great.
    Yikes, you should’ve seen my inner reaction to the ‘she rots’ line. Big wham moment for me. Maybe Morgyn did kill their teacher after all. I feel when Simeon said they didn’t, Simeon was told
    To keep his mouth shut. He doesn’t strike me as someone with much of a backbone.

Morgyn always strikes me as someone who would be power-hungry, but weirdly enough I don’t think it’s necessarily power that draws them. Morgyn strikes me as a darkly charismatic, magical genius, who feels unfulfilled by most things that would be a challenge to others. I see their power-hungriness as more of a desire for an intelligent mind to be constantly challenged, in a world where everything feels too simple for them.
    Oh! They were vampires after all. Interesting to see how the vampires will become intertwined in the story.

This chapter was a really eye opening look into Morgyn’s personality. You’ve done really well with this- it’s not edgy or corny, it’s all hidden underneath a veil of charisma and jokes and it makes them all the more unnerving. At first I laughed at Morgyn’s wit and sarcasm and then as time went on I was just :O

1.24: Cordie needs to try and let go of her attachment to Morgyn- but Morgyn knows how to rope her back in which is the problem ;_;
    ‘while a lot can be achieved through deceit, there is nothing in this world that hurts as much as the truth’... when an antagonist is lowkey making a lot of sense...She really does have a point.
    That vampire girl was creepy X_X I wonder if she’s been frozen in time as a young girl for years and years? Probably a good way to lure in worried people to drink their blood. Reminds me of a character I like from Skyrim.

1:25: ooh, new POV! I like that Micah tries to stop himself from feeding where possible due to guilt, whereas Verena fully embraces the typical vampire lifestyle. The idea of being in a child’s body for eternity honestly sounds like a curse in itself, though. Never growing up sounds great until you think about it in depth.

Enjoying it as always < 3
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy Never apologise for long comments! :)
    1.21: Aww, so sweet of Cordie to get Dandy a violin for a present. Also love that she made it; another SimLit I’m reading mentioned about how a handmade gift means so much more, and it really does. < 3 Having that constant reminder of her mother’s death must be rough on Cordie, bless her. So we begin the chapter with a gift from the heart, and end the chapter with a gift...not from the heart, in my eyes. What Cordelia made was put together likely with scrap, but it meant something. What Morgyn got her was beautiful, luxury, but likely with no heartfelt feeling behind it.

On a side note, Dandy and Grace stand out to me as two of the only seemingly genuine people in Cordie’s life RN. Part of me is shipping Cordie and Dandy but I wonder if they’d be better off just as best buds.
    I know exactly what other simlit you mean, even the exact chapter, because I'm a dork :sweat_smile: I would argue that in the other simlit, the handcrafted gift was even more meaningful than here, because the gift-giver in question had a almost unlimited means to buy a more standard gift and still dedicated the one thing they have in limited amounts, their time :blush:

In this scenario, Cordelia is pretty broke as we know, so in some ways the handmade gift is partly due to limited options :D But not to take away from her efforts, I agree it was a lovely gift! And you're right, there does seem to be a contrast between the two gifts referenced in this chapter.
    1.22: ‘It’s all the dress’ NO Cordie you are lovely with or without the dress! Morgyn’s outfit really suits them. Masquerade masks are fitting, since both Morgyn and Cordie are both masking their true selves for different reasons.

That’refreshments’ comment by that woman...I am thinking- vampire maybe?
    I really, really liked the scene at the top of the estate, and the way that those awful memories come back to Cordie because of the masks. She tries and tries to shut it out, but they keep coming back, just like the sprites. I hope that her friends can help her try to heal as much as she can from the trauma.
    Morgyn trying to tell her it wasn’t her fault was interesting because it was the one line that didn’t come across as suspicious at all to me. ‘The prospect of having control...’ line sums up my idea of Morgyn very well.
    Oh yes, like Mogyn says, everyone wears some kind of mask in their life, masquerade or not. Yes, that balcony scene was quite raw for Cordelia! Perhaps Morgyn is genuinely trying to console her. Perhaps not. Good job the next chapter gives us a glimpse into their mind!
    1:23 Ooh, a chapter from Morgyn themselves! I honestly love the way you write their speech and thoughts, all very flowery and sophisticated. I can hear it in my head like I’m watching a movie and it’s great.
    Yikes, you should’ve seen my inner reaction to the ‘she rots’ line. Big wham moment for me. Maybe Morgyn did kill their teacher after all. I feel when Simeon said they didn’t, Simeon was told
    To keep his mouth shut. He doesn’t strike me as someone with much of a backbone.

Morgyn always strikes me as someone who would be power-hungry, but weirdly enough I don’t think it’s necessarily power that draws them. Morgyn strikes me as a darkly charismatic, magical genius, who feels unfulfilled by most things that would be a challenge to others. I see their power-hungriness as more of a desire for an intelligent mind to be constantly challenged, in a world where everything feels too simple for them.
    Oh! They were vampires after all. Interesting to see how the vampires will become intertwined in the story.

This chapter was a really eye opening look into Morgyn’s personality. You’ve done really well with this- it’s not edgy or corny, it’s all hidden underneath a veil of charisma and jokes and it makes them all the more unnerving. At first I laughed at Morgyn’s wit and sarcasm and then as time went on I was just :O
    I love writing Morgyn in first person! Glad their personality "jumps out" at you :) Doesn't sound that Morgyn is particularly sad their old mentor is gone, that's for certain. It does seem there might be more to the story than what Morgyn and Simeon shared. True, we don't really know where Simeon's source of information on Morgyn killing or not killing Aine comes from. And he might be straight up lying. Can any of the sages be trusted? :D

Ooh, interesting. Morgyn does indeed seem to already be very powerful when it comes to untamed magic. So if one already is powerful beyond most people's imagination, what might they crave, I wonder?

And you made it to the vampires, woo!
    1.24: Cordie needs to try and let go of her attachment to Morgyn- but Morgyn knows how to rope her back in which is the problem ;_;
    ‘while a lot can be achieved through deceit, there is nothing in this world that hurts as much as the truth’... when an antagonist is lowkey making a lot of sense...She really does have a point.
    That vampire girl was creepy X_X I wonder if she’s been frozen in time as a young girl for years and years? Probably a good way to lure in worried people to drink their blood. Reminds me of a character I like from Skyrim.
    At the moment Morgyn is flat out ignoring Cordeilia, but of course, that in itself can draw a person in. Let's face it, it's not like she'll be forgetting that kiss at the Von Haunt Estate all that soon... well, perhaps with where things leave off at the end of this chapter, she may have more pressing problems, actually :sweat_smile:

L Faba does bring up a good point. It's probably not for Cordelia's benefit, but it is good advice nonetheless.

Ooh, another Skyrim fan! I love Skyrim a bit too much, though I haven't done the Dark Brotherhood storyline many times (comparative to the time I've sunk in Skyrim, I mean, haha).
    1:25: ooh, new POV! I like that Micah tries to stop himself from feeding where possible due to guilt, whereas Verena fully embraces the typical vampire lifestyle. The idea of being in a child’s body for eternity honestly sounds like a curse in itself, though. Never growing up sounds great until you think about it in depth.
    We are branching out, for sure! The vampires each have their own takes on how to be a vampire :) Oh yeah, being stuck in a child's body forever would definitely have disadvantages. Luckily it doesn't look that Verena doesn't let that bring her down, haha.
  • Options
    Crawling out of my goblin cave to comment again:
    1.26: I’m glad Micah is trying to be a ‘better’ vampire. I feel awful for Cordie; if I were her I’d be utterly terrified. I had a feeling he’d bang into Morgyn again. I really liked the scene where Morgyn takes Micah to all of these different places, I love the screenshots and the way you wrote that part.

judging by the end of the chapter maybe Micah is a smart cookie and can see through Morgyn like they were made of glass. I guess vampirism wasn’t all as it seemed at first, so that’s why Micah is more aware that this tantalising offer may be too good to be true.

1:27: I’m hoping Cordie can find a way out. I think a lot of Micah’s anger and standoffishness is partially due to some sort of fear/anxiety over his inner conflict. He isn’t like the other vampires but no doubt Verena would go through the roof if he spared Cordie.

‘Are you going to shine some light on this anticipated masterplan of yours?” Go Simeon! remember when I said he didn’t have a backbone? Micah is not making things easy for Morgyn, and Morgyn is doubting their control which they are used to having 100%. When a control freak loses total control, things get bad...This shift in the balance of power is really interesting. Master spellcaster VS master vampire!

1.28: Micah seems slightly less cold at the beginning of this chapter. I am absolutely loving this little war of words between Verena and Morgyn. Morgyn is definitely a little uneasy; for once they are not the one in control of the conversation. To be fair, Morgyn denying that was probably a good idea- I dread to think what an untamed magic wielding grand master vampire would be capable of! I really like the shot of Verena with her arm in front of her face, red eyes showing. Oh geez, now Cordie’s even further away from potential freedom.

1.29: Yes, Dandy! Stand up to Faba my precious elf child! She was so awful to poor Dandy, I want to hug him. Oh god, Faba’s going to likely be a target for Morphiating the grandmaster vampire...

1.30: I like the contrast between Delphine making a joke and Micah taking this very seriously. Then again, once excrement hits the fan it’ll be him who gets in trouble. “Maybe I’ve lost my mind, but you’ve lost your heart!” Bless Dandy, it seems he’s right...Simeon talking sense to the lot of them, listen to the Practical sage, Morgyn and Faba! There’s not one character I find boring in this story. Whoever is in the limelight you find a way to make them all interesting and I love that. Wow, that flashback...I really like that you only wrote a small bit to accompany the pics. It’s fun trying to put all the pieces of this story together.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy Welcome back! :blush:
    1.26: I’m glad Micah is trying to be a ‘better’ vampire. I feel awful for Cordie; if I were her I’d be utterly terrified. I had a feeling he’d bang into Morgyn again. I really liked the scene where Morgyn takes Micah to all of these different places, I love the screenshots and the way you wrote that part.

judging by the end of the chapter maybe Micah is a smart cookie and can see through Morgyn like they were made of glass. I guess vampirism wasn’t all as it seemed at first, so that’s why Micah is more aware that this tantalising offer may be too good to be true.
    For sure, Cordelia ended up in a terrible situation. The good news is that she's sharing a room with a vampire who hopes to aboid killing, the bad news is she's being used as "bait" to change his mind.

Micah is definitely not as wide-eyed and gullible about Morgyn as Cordelia. I'm sure the time he's had with Verena and her coven will have something to do with that. Oh, interesting, you think Micah chose to become a vampire?
    1:27: I’m hoping Cordie can find a way out. I think a lot of Micah’s anger and standoffishness is partially due to some sort of fear/anxiety over his inner conflict. He isn’t like the other vampires but no doubt Verena would go through the roof if he spared Cordie.

‘Are you going to shine some light on this anticipated masterplan of yours?” Go Simeon! remember when I said he didn’t have a backbone? Micah is not making things easy for Morgyn, and Morgyn is doubting their control which they are used to having 100%. When a control freak loses total control, things get bad...This shift in the balance of power is really interesting. Master spellcaster VS master vampire!
    Oh yes, Micah's struggle with being stuck in a room with a very palatable human is definitely not helping when it comes to him being "nice" to her. Not earing her is sort of the priority, lol. Though you're right, that's not a longterm scenario to maintain, especially with Verena eagerly awaiting how this turns out.

Hehe, Simeon may just have a bit of a backbone. Or at least, he has his priorities. They may not necessarily align with Cordelia's interests, but at least he's not reckless. Definitely a shift in control here. And Morgyn hates not being in control.
    1.28: Micah seems slightly less cold at the beginning of this chapter. I am absolutely loving this little war of words between Verena and Morgyn. Morgyn is definitely a little uneasy; for once they are not the one in control of the conversation. To be fair, Morgyn denying that was probably a good idea- I dread to think what an untamed magic wielding grand master vampire would be capable of! I really like the shot of Verena with her arm in front of her face, red eyes showing. Oh geez, now Cordie’s even further away from potential freedom.
    Yes, even Morgyn who is prone to taking big risks knows that giving Verena that kind of power would create more problems than good. Plus, as they say, it's not something they are allowed to do without the approval of the other sages, all three would need to agree to make her a spellcaster, which is just not going to happen...
    1.29: Yes, Dandy! Stand up to Faba my precious elf child! She was so awful to poor Dandy, I want to hug him. Oh god, Faba’s going to likely be a target for Morphiating the grandmaster vampire...
    Dandy did his best to fight for Cordie. That worked pretty well with L Faba, but probably didn't help a lot with Verena, oops. Yes, I can't imagine Verena will be pleased about L Faba's actions.
    1.30: I like the contrast between Delphine making a joke and Micah taking this very seriously. Then again, once excrement hits the fan it’ll be him who gets in trouble. “Maybe I’ve lost my mind, but you’ve lost your heart!” Bless Dandy, it seems he’s right...Simeon talking sense to the lot of them, listen to the Practical sage, Morgyn and Faba! There’s not one character I find boring in this story. Whoever is in the limelight you find a way to make them all interesting and I love that. Wow, that flashback...I really like that you only wrote a small bit to accompany the pics. It’s fun trying to put all the pieces of this story together.
    Yes, easy for Delphine to make a light of it, she's had no involvement and her dynamic with Verena is different than Micah's, since Verena did not turn Delphine. He's not wrong there will now be consequences for him no matter what. Lol, once excrement hits the fan, terrific phrasing :lol:

Aww, thank you so much, I'm glad you find them all interesting in their own way, even Simeon - who arguably is a little boring, but as we can see here that is sometimes the objectively better route to go.

There is a lot packed in that flashback, so much tha I had to keep it wordless :smile: That and I'd like to imagine that that's the way the vampire sees the memories when they feed, that they get to experience them but don't necessarily get the full context so it's all a bit jumbled up and confusing.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @ThePlumbob
    Yeah that’s a good idea. If you’ve ever played the first Mass Effect, I imagine the vampire’s ‘memory reading’ being similar to the visions Shepard gets from the beacon- a quick flash of images that make very little sense on their own. Also it means that Micah’s ability to read memories from the blood isn’t super overpowered since he can’t particularly piece them together fully.

Anyhow, sorry to be straight back again with a wall of comments, but I binge-read before work this morning : D
    1.31: Lulu may feel hurt by Dandy saying he’s not sure on her anymore, but she should listen to him. Morgyn, you should really check with Cordie before allowing Micah to live with her! It’s gonna be like Morgyn’s dragon hoard cave of people they ‘love’ (i.e: use) or something eventually. Interesting to see how Micah develops from here now he’s seemingly outcast from vamp society. Also I can’t help but feel the ‘gift’ given to Micah may be used against him.

1.32: “Do you see everyone in your life as a chess piece?” YES. THIS. Spot on Cordie. It’s taken her a while but she is starting to be rightfully suspicious. Cordie and Dandy together is always a heartwarming break. Amongst the lies, deceit and cover ups, Dandy is honest and wholesome and an all around precious bean.

1.33: ‘If he stayed in this house, he would be in Morgyn’s debt.’ This is my concern too. Interesting to see his thoughts on the people he drinks from as well, although I kinda feel bad for Darrel getting a vamp bite out of nowhere. I really like the connection between Darrel’s intense love making Micah yearn for his old life as a human as well. Welp, here goes another fake date! Good luck Micah...

1.34: I can see there’s something Morgyn doesn’t want to discuss. I wonder who will coax it out of them. Or what will. Micah is at least putting his foot down with the sage, and calling them out on their hypocrisies. I imagine that being a thing for any child spellcaster, a fear of wondering exactly what your magic is capable of. The fact that a lack of control over your power is a point of common understanding between Morgyn and Micah is good. Now I can see why Morgyn is so desperate for control, but they have clearly taken it to an unhealthy level. It’s good that they have found something in common with one another that they have not found with others, but I think Micah ought to try and back away from Morgyn in the romantic sense.

1.35: I thought when Tomax was first mentioned that he was another victim of the ol’ ‘date’ situation. Understandable for Grace to be concerned as well. I feel like Grace and Dandy are the voices of reason a lot of the time, bless them. Alongside Simeon.

1.36: Interesting, was Micah about to say he’s been around Cordie enough to be able to hold back off feeding on her? ‘Nothing in here was hers, it was all foreign’ This is how I feel. At least her cute lil shack was her own, and built from the ground up and not just magicked into existence. Cordie kicking off at Morgyn is great to be honest. She realises what they are like and she’s not having it.

1.37: Bless you Dandy, buying Cordie a bike ;-; I feel like Cordie feels like she needs others to complete her, but unlike Morgyn , Dandy and her are good together as friends and I hope maybe more at this point... YES! My little heart is all fuzzy when Cordie kisses Dandy, bless them both! I want to hug them...

1.38: Micah is so much harder to play than Cordie was, and I feel like deep down it’s getting to Morgyn. Slowly but steadily people are becoming suspicious and once-hidden memories are resurfacing. I’m enjoying seeing things unravel between Micah and Cordie. I agree with his views on fate; I can’t stand the whole ‘everything happens for a reason!’ thing to excuse someone else’s unfortunate situation.

The ‘chessboard’ in this story, as one of your commenters put it, is shifting and I can’t wait to see what happens next.
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy I haven't played Mass Effect, though I've heard good things! And yes, I try to make sure noone has absolute power, even the very powerful ones - everyone should have some weaknesses and limitations :)
    1.31: Lulu may feel hurt by Dandy saying he’s not sure on her anymore, but she should listen to him. Morgyn, you should really check with Cordie before allowing Micah to live with her! It’s gonna be like Morgyn’s dragon hoard cave of people they ‘love’ (i.e: use) or something eventually. Interesting to see how Micah develops from here now he’s seemingly outcast from vamp society. Also I can’t help but feel the ‘gift’ given to Micah may be used against him.
    You're right, Dandy has a point, maybe she should listen to him or explain herself, otherwise she'll end up losing him. Yes, amorgyn really should have checked with Cordelia, but as far as Morgyn is concerned, both Cordelia and Micah are homeless, so two birds, one stone... Though shacking up romantic interests is definitely an interesting choice, lol.
    1.32: “Do you see everyone in your life as a chess piece?” YES. THIS. Spot on Cordie. It’s taken her a while but she is starting to be rightfully suspicious. Cordie and Dandy together is always a heartwarming break. Amongst the lies, deceit and cover ups, Dandy is honest and wholesome and an all around precious bean.
    Cordelia went from thinking Morgyn was her sole saviour to realising things are not quite rosey (to put it mildly haha). She's been through a lot in a short space of time, poor thing. At least she has Dandy's friendship!
    1.33: ‘If he stayed in this house, he would be in Morgyn’s debt.’ This is my concern too. Interesting to see his thoughts on the people he drinks from as well, although I kinda feel bad for Darrel getting a vamp bite out of nowhere. I really like the connection between Darrel’s intense love making Micah yearn for his old life as a human as well. Welp, here goes another fake date! Good luck Micah...
    If Verena taught Micah anything, it's that there's a tradeoff for everything. He's definitely on the cautious side - though having left the coven, his options are pretty limited now. If it wasn't Darrel, it would have been someone else, now that there's a vampire in Glimmerbrook, he does have to feed. At least he is well-intentioned, for a vampire :lol:
    1.34: I can see there’s something Morgyn doesn’t want to discuss. I wonder who will coax it out of them. Or what will. Micah is at least putting his foot down with the sage, and calling them out on their hypocrisies. I imagine that being a thing for any child spellcaster, a fear of wondering exactly what your magic is capable of. The fact that a lack of control over your power is a point of common understanding between Morgyn and Micah is good. Now I can see why Morgyn is so desperate for control, but they have clearly taken it to an unhealthy level. It’s good that they have found something in common with one another that they have not found with others, but I think Micah ought to try and back away from Morgyn in the romantic sense.
    Morgyn definitely has some skeletons in the closet. Yes, childhood trauma where losing control caused a little spellcaster to cause the death of their family would definitely leave some marks when it comes to relationship in control. Morgyn has definitely taken it to an extreme, but then again, in their childhood losing control did have extreme consequences...
    1.35: I thought when Tomax was first mentioned that he was another victim of the ol’ ‘date’ situation. Understandable for Grace to be concerned as well. I feel like Grace and Dandy are the voices of reason a lot of the time, bless them. Alongside Simeon.
    We've heard it from a fair few people by now that Morgyn has quite the long list of exes. Tomax is indeed one of them, and still rather bitter. It's good that Cordelia has Grace and Dandy for a bit of outside perspective.
    1.36: Interesting, was Micah about to say he’s been around Cordie enough to be able to hold back off feeding on her? ‘Nothing in here was hers, it was all foreign’ This is how I feel. At least her cute lil shack was her own, and built from the ground up and not just magicked into existence. Cordie kicking off at Morgyn is great to be honest. She realises what they are like and she’s not having it.
    Perhaps... Though he did not end up saying that, so he may not be that confident about it :sweat_smile: The shack was basically the opposite of this house, yes. Clearly Morgyn doesn't get that. I'm proud of Cordelia for standing her ground with Morgyn here, hopefully she's learned her lesson.
    1.37: Bless you Dandy, buying Cordie a bike ;-; I feel like Cordie feels like she needs others to complete her, but unlike Morgyn , Dandy and her are good together as friends and I hope maybe more at this point... YES! My little heart is all fuzzy when Cordie kisses Dandy, bless them both! I want to hug them...
    A sweet one for a change. Dandy is so pure and lovely. He doesn't even quite realise what his feelings are, bless.
    1.38: Micah is so much harder to play than Cordie was, and I feel like deep down it’s getting to Morgyn. Slowly but steadily people are becoming suspicious and once-hidden memories are resurfacing. I’m enjoying seeing things unravel between Micah and Cordie. I agree with his views on fate; I can’t stand the whole ‘everything happens for a reason!’ thing to excuse someone else’s unfortunate situation.
    Micah is going in with a completely different attitude than Cordelia was, for sure. Plus he has an unfair advantage of seeing a chunk of Morgyn's past that Morgyn doesn't freely share with anyone. I guess that shifts the balance in their relationship from the get go. I kind of get the whole "everything happens for a reason" thing, at least, I wouldn't really want to undo any of my past, but Micah does not quite feel that way. I'm not sure if I believe in fate (I'm pretty flaky so it may well depend on the day), but you're right, often people just use "fate" as a convenient excuse.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @ThePlumbob Thanks for your response, I also sorry if my comments sound disjointed. I am really bad at organising ideas, and I type my thoughts out as I read instead of doing it at the end cuz my memory is garbage.
    1.39: The tree painting is pretty. I like that slowly but surely Micah and Cordie are getting to understand each other a little better. Understandable she’s concerned about Morgyn and Micah. I doubt she wants him to be used, the way they used her. Now I’m intrigued to see what’s at the Selvadoradian temples...although I doubt the field trip is going to go well. (On a side note who knew Morgyn would look pretty cute in lingerie? B^ ) )

1:40: Cordie’s face when Morgyn arrives in the store is just like ‘seriously? You?’. Ugh they are being so slimy and trying to play Cordie again, leave her alone Morgyn! This already doesn’t sound good. Ancient magic in the middle of the jungle, and a power-hungry sage...what could go wrong?

1.41: Despite having the Jungle pack I’ve never used it so it’s cool seeing Selvadorada. I love Cordie’s ‘shut up and let me like the lights’ response to Morgyn. Nothing wrong with being easily pleased! Given what happened to her own mother, Cordie’s ‘I like the thought she was everyone’s mother’ makes me feel bad for her ;_; Even though she said yes to the trip, at least now she can tell (for the most part) what’s bull and what isn’t when it comes to anything that comes out of Morgyn’s mouth.

1.42: the old shop is cool, slightly unnerving : p Wow, the back room with the map looks like some sort of cult hangout. Well at least paying with magic saves on the Simoleons. ‘I have everything under control’ sure Morgyn keep telling yourself that now that Cordie and Micah are onto you > : 3 I highly doubt Morgyn cares about her safety because of her. They care about her safety because they see her as an object to be used, and they can’t lose that.

1.43: I am really liking Micah as a character. I feel bad for him, seeing him cling onto any little thing that makes him happy, but that in itself is kinda relatable. Ooh, Micah could get through the tree! I did wonder whether or not he’d be able to. I still love Dandy so much as usual : p the Sylvan Glade’s lack of sun, and the plasma fruit give Micah the bit of freedom he’s been searching for, for years. No feeding off people, no waiting until sundown and no burning skin...A nice bit of heartwarming and I’m glad Micah gets a second chance at a more normal life. I doubt he’ll want to leave the Glade now (kinda wish I could hang with Dandy inside a tree for the rest of my life too.)

1.45: Ahh, we get to see through Morgyn’s eyes again...I’ll admit, I did feel quite bad when Morgyn said they’d lost their ‘sense of wonder’. Losing that emotional connection to the beauty of world sucks a lot, it really does. I am really liking how much this chapter is unravelling Morgyn’s past and innermost thoughts since they’ve kept it to themselves for so long, and that they see a little of their past self in Cordie and Micah.

Despite my constant ‘Morgyn is sus!’ rambles, I actually ended this bingeread with a slightly different outlook on them. Now that they are starting to process their childhood and trauma more, instead of keeping it to themselves and keeping it buried, maybe now they can eventually find it in themselves to work on un-doing some of the behaviours their past has instilled in them, like their desire for control over every situation. It’ll be interesting to see what happens, but it’s really good to see you write so in-depth about difficult subjects.

Slight overshare, but: Whilst I don’t deal with anything like trauma, I’ve had various experiences pile up over the years and they’ve really had a fun impact on my mental health XUX and some particular themes of this story is very eye opening and validating, in a way. So thank you : ) .
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @SnowBnuuy I tend to do the same thing when I comment! I think it's better to get your first genuine reaction anyway, rather than you going back to "revise" your initial impression of a chapter because new information came to light. So many things are a matter of perspective :)
    1.39: The tree painting is pretty. I like that slowly but surely Micah and Cordie are getting to understand each other a little better. Understandable she’s concerned about Morgyn and Micah. I doubt she wants him to be used, the way they used her. Now I’m intrigued to see what’s at the Selvadoradian temples...although I doubt the field trip is going to go well. (On a side note who knew Morgyn would look pretty cute in lingerie? B^ ) )
    Hard to say how much of it is her worrying about Micah being used and how much of it is jealousy - I'm not sure she's exactly "over" Morgyn :) She definitely has some conflicting feelings at the minute!
    1:40: Cordie’s face when Morgyn arrives in the store is just like ‘seriously? You?’. Ugh they are being so slimy and trying to play Cordie again, leave her alone Morgyn! This already doesn’t sound good. Ancient magic in the middle of the jungle, and a power-hungry sage...what could go wrong?
    Magic, jungle and Morgyn, what could possibly go wrong? :grimace:
    1.41: Despite having the Jungle pack I’ve never used it so it’s cool seeing Selvadorada. I love Cordie’s ‘shut up and let me like the lights’ response to Morgyn. Nothing wrong with being easily pleased! Given what happened to her own mother, Cordie’s ‘I like the thought she was everyone’s mother’ makes me feel bad for her ;_; Even though she said yes to the trip, at least now she can tell (for the most part) what’s bull and what isn’t when it comes to anything that comes out of Morgyn’s mouth.
    Selvadorada is beautiful! I don't send my sims there often enough. Cordelia's only been to a grand total of two places up till now, so she's definitely filled with wonder. Not even Morgyn can diminish her excitement. :D
    1.42: the old shop is cool, slightly unnerving : p Wow, the back room with the map looks like some sort of cult hangout. Well at least paying with magic saves on the Simoleons. ‘I have everything under control’ sure Morgyn keep telling yourself that now that Cordie and Micah are onto you > : 3 I highly doubt Morgyn cares about her safety because of her. They care about her safety because they see her as an object to be used, and they can’t lose that.
    The shop is really cool! (I did not make it, but the details of who did should be on my Credits page :smile: Definitely has that earie vibe I was after. Morgyn always has everything under control, obviously :lol:
    1.43: I am really liking Micah as a character. I feel bad for him, seeing him cling onto any little thing that makes him happy, but that in itself is kinda relatable. Ooh, Micah could get through the tree! I did wonder whether or not he’d be able to. I still love Dandy so much as usual : p the Sylvan Glade’s lack of sun, and the plasma fruit give Micah the bit of freedom he’s been searching for, for years. No feeding off people, no waiting until sundown and no burning skin...A nice bit of heartwarming and I’m glad Micah gets a second chance at a more normal life. I doubt he’ll want to leave the Glade now (kinda wish I could hang with Dandy inside a tree for the rest of my life too.)
    Poor Micah, he doesn't have a lot of stuff that makes him happy in his life. That could be changing now. It's probably a lot to take in, the fruit, the "sun" in Sylvan Glade... Let's see how Micah will cope with all these blessings :)
    1.45: Ahh, we get to see through Morgyn’s eyes again...I’ll admit, I did feel quite bad when Morgyn said they’d lost their ‘sense of wonder’. Losing that emotional connection to the beauty of world sucks a lot, it really does. I am really liking how much this chapter is unravelling Morgyn’s past and innermost thoughts since they’ve kept it to themselves for so long, and that they see a little of their past self in Cordie and Micah.

Despite my constant ‘Morgyn is sus!’ rambles, I actually ended this bingeread with a slightly different outlook on them. Now that they are starting to process their childhood and trauma more, instead of keeping it to themselves and keeping it buried, maybe now they can eventually find it in themselves to work on un-doing some of the behaviours their past has instilled in them, like their desire for control over every situation. It’ll be interesting to see what happens, but it’s really good to see you write so in-depth about difficult subjects.

Slight overshare, but: Whilst I don’t deal with anything like trauma, I’ve had various experiences pile up over the years and they’ve really had a fun impact on my mental health XUX and some particular themes of this story is very eye opening and validating, in a way. So thank you : ) .
    I'm going to assume this was 1.44 rather than 1.45, since that's the one that was written from Morgyn's POV :) I suppose Morgyn is not very emotionally connected to most things, including the beauty of the world. Presumably that was not always the case, as you say they do see a bit of their old self in both Micah and Cordelia. There are definitely parallels between some of the characters, even though the characters are quite different from each other :)

Haha, ramble away, Morgyn is kind of sus :lol: They have quite a few layers, so it's not surprising your opinion on them may change at times. They can certainly be pretty awful - but I don't think most people are awful simply for the sake of being awful, usually there's a reason we act a certain way, so I like to show as many angles as possible :)

Thank you for sharing that, it means a lot that you connect with the story on such a deep level! I've poured quite a bit of myself into BC, several of the characters have parts of me (or I am them? I don't know :smiley: ), so I'm always happy when people can relate to them.
  • Options
    Crawling out of my goblin cave again to share my thoughts
    1:45 (This time I actually get the chapter number right): That long shot of the jungle at the start looks so nice. Oh god, the arrow and lights scared me .O. ‘Inconvenient’ is an understatement for a poisoned arrow in the chest! Oh man, watching Morgyn grow weaker like that was super sad, and their death...Just as they came to understand themselves a bit more it happens! but I feel like they will be brought back somehow since there is that Dedeathify spell...I was not expecting that to happen though, not at all.

1:46 Just as Micah started to get his life on track he loses Morgyn, not just someone he dated but the one person who seemed to really get him and his experience. Ah and so he gets a glimpse into poor Cordie’s memories, and interesting that Cordie saw his memories as well. Oh God, Grace...It must be an awful thing to see happen to someone. I feel awful for Micah. Let’s see if the Sages can help.

1.47: Oh man, the stormy magic realm actually looks really cool. I only just realised seeing that picture, that with a sage dead the ‘balance’ would be upset. That completely skipped my mind until now : p Simeon’s nonchalance at Morgyn’s death was surprising. I did laugh at the ‘...found a way underEmilia’s Thumb’ comment.

1.48: Oh so it is a different Sage to the one who appeared in the flashbacks, I like her mysterious design. I can understand why Cordie feels so guilty, but she didn’t step on the trap with intention and it isn’t her fault that Morgyn is dead. I hope the poor girl can come to realise this. It’s good that Micah is understanding.

1.49: Good Fortune potion! Good thinking Cordie! I wondered when the voodoo doll would come into play > : 3 I can see why Micah is concerned but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures...

1.50: Ohh wait up, so she’s the mischief predecessor? No wonder she wasn’t bothered by the voodoo doll, she knows every trick in the book! Haruka is really cool, I like her hair. I really like that they use the triangle formation on the flooring pattern as well; I always headcanoned that floor pattern/rug design to be for that reason, for the three sages to perform combined rituals/spells of sorts. Woop there she is!

There’s Aine and she looks pretty mad...so would I be if I got torn from chilling in the netherworld. Here goes! I been waiting for Aine to return since the story started, I knew she’d turn up -U- On a side note she is my favourite of the premade sages, she looks like the oldest and wisest and most powerful. I see that the two Sages had issues with Aine as well and that they believe Morgyn to have become like she was...Well the ‘puppet master’ as someone in comments has called them has returned, but hey, the Sages will restore the balance hopefully! All is okay...for now!
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy I might jump between chapters in my responses here since I don't want to dwell on what's no longer relevant, apologies if my reply is jumbled!
    1:45 (This time I actually get the chapter number right): That long shot of the jungle at the start looks so nice. Oh god, the arrow and lights scared me .O. ‘Inconvenient’ is an understatement for a poisoned arrow in the chest! Oh man, watching Morgyn grow weaker like that was super sad, and their death...Just as they came to understand themselves a bit more it happens! but I feel like they will be brought back somehow since there is that Dedeathify spell...I was not expecting that to happen though, not at all.
    Hehe the main reason I noticed the misnumbering on the comments is because I knew what happens in 1.45 and i thought that seemed like a very casual reaction to Morgyn dying - probably wouldn't have picked up on it with other chapters :lol:

Just as Morgyn was getting to understand themselves... or just as you were getting to understand them? :wink:

Obviously you know what happens next, but I will say that I use the in game spell lore very loosely, as you may have noticed. Most of the spells I reference do exist in the game, but very advanced spells like Dedeathify can only by cast by the sage of the discipline - or as you learn in chapter 1.47, by sages joining forces. Otherwise every death would be far too easy to reverse and there would be no stakes. Same with becoming a spellcaster - I didn't want that to be possible for any rando, in fact I didn't even think someone could get to the magic realm without a spellcaster showing them. Basically my lore is based on the game one, bit on "hard mode" :D

(Side note, how underwhelming is the "out of the box" in game dedeathify spell? They could have recycled the ambrosia animation at the very least, it's so unceremonious!)
    1:46 Just as Micah started to get his life on track he loses Morgyn, not just someone he dated but the one person who seemed to really get him and his experience. Ah and so he gets a glimpse into poor Cordie’s memories, and interesting that Cordie saw his memories as well. Oh God, Grace...It must be an awful thing to see happen to someone. I feel awful for Micah. Let’s see if the Sages can help.
    Micah doesn't have the best of luck! Yes, her seeing his memories is unusual - though not impossible. As Micah tells us here, the prey sees what the vampire sees when they're being drank from, it's just that normally the vampire is completely immersed in the prey's memories while feeding.
    1.47: Oh man, the stormy magic realm actually looks really cool. I only just realised seeing that picture, that with a sage dead the ‘balance’ would be upset. That completely skipped my mind until now : p Simeon’s nonchalance at Morgyn’s death was surprising. I did laugh at the ‘...found a way underEmilia’s Thumb’ comment.
    Thank you! Yes, the balance is a bit of an issue :lol: Yes, Simeon did react in a strange way, didn't he? I wonder why...
    1.48: Oh so it is a different Sage to the one who appeared in the flashbacks, I like her mysterious design. I can understand why Cordie feels so guilty, but she didn’t step on the trap with intention and it isn’t her fault that Morgyn is dead. I hope the poor girl can come to realise this. It’s good that Micah is understanding.
    Different sage altogether, yes. Cordelia already has a tendency to blame herself, like with what happened to her mother - Morgyn did say that Micah and Cordelia had a lot in common, after all. Good thing they have each other right now.
    1.49: Good Fortune potion! Good thinking Cordie! I wondered when the voodoo doll would come into play > : 3 I can see why Micah is concerned but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures...
    Desperate indeed! Let's see if decisions that are born out of desperation are wise...
    1.50: Ohh wait up, so she’s the mischief predecessor? No wonder she wasn’t bothered by the voodoo doll, she knows every trick in the book! Haruka is really cool, I like her hair. I really like that they use the triangle formation on the flooring pattern as well; I always headcanoned that floor pattern/rug design to be for that reason, for the three sages to perform combined rituals/spells of sorts. Woop there she is!

There’s Aine and she looks pretty mad...so would I be if I got torn from chilling in the netherworld. Here goes! I been waiting for Aine to return since the story started, I knew she’d turn up -U- On a side note she is my favourite of the premade sages, she looks like the oldest and wisest and most powerful. I see that the two Sages had issues with Aine as well and that they believe Morgyn to have become like she was...Well the ‘puppet master’ as someone in comments has called them has returned, but hey, the Sages will restore the balance hopefully! All is okay...for now!
    Yes, Haruka was the mischief sage before L Faba, hence all the riddles she seems to enjoy so much :) Same, I thought there should be a point to those floor symbols, they look too ceremonial to be random decor!

Ooh, Aine is your favourite? Interesting! She was definitely not particularly liked by the current sages by the looks of it :sweat_smile: I agree that she would have been the oldest and most powerful, though that might not always be a good thing :smile: Although if she was the most powerful that would be peculiar combined with the rumours that Morgyn killed her. Then again, Simeon was adamant they were only rumours... although Aine certainly did not seem fond of Morgyn here... (Have I bamboozled you yet? :lol: )

Haha, that's the spirit!
  • Options
    @ThePlumbob
    Yeah the Dedeathify looks a lot cooler in this story than it does in the game. I was hoping it would like you say have the Ambrosia animation.

To be fair even simple things bamboozle me, I like reading but I’m not the most intelligent reader and I miss things and repeat myself a lot < : S

Yeah I feel you, I’ve had to sort of ‘control’ the in game spell lore as well, I like your ideas. In my own challenge thing, I passed off some of the stronger, more ‘ethically dubious’ spells like Necrocall,Dedeathify etc. as essentially being restricted to the elite spellcasters and the sages, and are forbidden to be practiced on school grounds (although some sages probably did at some point). Some spells like Dedeathify are so costly of ‘magical energy’ within the sim that the resulting magic overload from just one casting can be near fatal (or fully fatal if unlucky) so not worth the risk really. Repeated magic overload can cause a kind of nasty longterm illness in my headcanon, which is another deterrent to messing around with such magic.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Time for a new chapter! I'm attempting having an actual schedule, so hopefully Wednesdays can be update days - should be loose enough for me to actually manage!

We return to the magic realm today...
  • Options
    SquirrelTail15SquirrelTail15 Posts: 259 Member
    Oh. Uh-oh.
    Well, that sure is interesting. I wonder what Simeon's agenda is by making them agree to the vote thingy before he named Darrel as his successor - you'd think he'd be smarter than that.
    'L Faba is was her professional name' do you know, I still have a lot of trouble seeing it as 'l' Faba not El Faba - probably because when I first saw it in game I'd just been to see the show Wicked (in which the main witch is called Elphaba, and I guess it's a reference on behalf of EA?).
    banner.png