Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question for the technical know hows of PC's

Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
My pc has been randomly shutting down lately, with blue screens and telling me that I need to select the proper boot device. Probably my moldy oldy motherboard seeing the light at the end of the tunnel or sumn. But is there any way to actually see the error reports of it's shutdowns?
mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Comments

• Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    If there's a blue screen there's usually a error code you can write down and google. Write down any error codes you get is the first step.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Aine wrote: »
    If there's a blue screen there's usually a error code you can write down and google. Write down any error codes you get is the first step.

None show up :p That's the problem....there's just a qr code for some reason but I think that directs to microsoft support or something.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2020
    Yes, you can check the event viewer. Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, but it is not easy to know what error to look for. Google is useful in order to read those error messages.

I would also run a CHKDSK on your hard drive since you got the error message that you needed to select a proper boot device. Maybe your hard drive is failing.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Could be a number of things. Is your PC overheating (checked if all fans are clean and working)? Are all drivers updated? It could be a RAM or harddrive failure, or even hardware/software conflict. Could be a failing power supply (it was in my case) or your motherboard, graphics card or CPU might need an upgrade.

Without an error message, its difficult to pinpoint what's wrong exactly. I'm no expert, though. Just a few suggestions :)
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    Yes, you can check the event viewer. Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, but it is not easy to know what error to look for. Google is useful in order to read those error messages.

I would also run a CHKDSK on your hard drive since you got the error message that you needed to select a proper boot device. Maybe your hard drive is failing.

Out of everything I really hope it's not my HDD ahaha.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Kathykins wrote: »
    Could be a number of things. Is your PC overheating (checked if all fans are clean and working)? Are all drivers updated? It could be a RAM or harddrive failure, or even hardware/software conflict. Could be a failing power supply (it was in my case) or your motherboard, graphics card or CPU might need an upgrade.

Without an error message, its difficult to pinpoint what's wrong exactly. I'm no expert, though. Just a few suggestions :)

Yes.

I'll double check my fans, last resort I might need to take it to the shop.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Can you back up the hdd before anything else happens?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Can you back up the hdd before anything else happens?

Yes! :D
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    My pc has been randomly shutting down lately, with blue screens and telling me that I need to select the proper boot device. Probably my moldy oldy motherboard seeing the light at the end of the tunnel or sumn. But is there any way to actually see the error reports of it's shutdowns?

Since you know your PC the best you might be able to pinpoint the issue better than us. Try to think which of your hardware devices are rather old, slow or causing problems lately. You could find the culprit. However I think it could be a hard drive issue like the rest said.

The "select proper boot device" is an issue I had as well once. You have Windows installed in a hard drive or SSD etc.(whichever you own). When your PC is booting up, it is booting Windows from that device it is installed on.
    If that hard drive is not working properly the system will give you this error cause it can't properly locate and successfully boot your operating system (Windows for example) from your hard drive.

I'm guessing this could be a result of tons of different issues as well. I'm just giving you a possible theory.
    Give us an update if you find the problem an successfully fix it!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?