Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If You're Experiencing a Broken Save

Comments

• Options
    GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    Sounds like they never test these updates very well. I remember last year they had an build item in the game (Lin-Z Smart Speaker) that would corrupt your saves if you used it... they fixed since but it was a deadly bug.

This is the type of game you gotta backup stuff non stop, and not only that.. you need to read the forums like this place and the other EA bug forum whenever there is a big patch because these guys break the game whenever there is a large patch.

It sounds like even people on consoles are having their saves crashing, which likely reduces the chance its from one of our mods which is one good thing, it should be easier to pinpoint what is causing it I should hope.

Thanks for everyone posting about this bug, probably saved some of us some pain and we should just wait it out and not play the game until its completely fixed.

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Options
    evelewisevelewis Posts: 17 Member
    I've had issues with patches crashing saves that had been heavily modded in the past, but not to the extent it seems people are experiencing this go around. What worked for me was removing all my mods before downloading the patch, in addition to all the last exceptions. I then utilized Origin's "repair" game function, then downloaded the patch. I don't know if this would work for anybody else, but doing it this way worked well for me and I haven't had any issues accessing my saves.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited June 2020
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    sennawales wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    Everyone saying "this is why you backup": yes! I backed up! The back up won't play either. Backing up or not would not have helped or saved you from this "bug".

I'm not sure what is causing some saves to crash the game and not others but you press play and the game closes, that's what I know. I know repairing the game doesn't work. I know putting in my backups don't work. I know taking out my sims 4 folder and replacing the saves doesn't work. It's happening on consoles, mac and pc. Can a console even back up? Not helpful. Seems like we are waiting on a hotfix.

I did start a new save to test it and it's fine. I can exit, quit, save and re-load and it's fine but anything before the patch closes the game and origin.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    You need to remember to backup your saves, people! This situation is exactly why you do it, so that if it gets corrupted you still have it.

While this is good idea and one people should do, people have reported that they made a back up, then when the save crashed replaced it with the back up - only for the back up to also crash.

I'm still waiting on certain mods, so I've only tried two saves - one crashed (the one I never open except while playing without mods) and one didn't (a rags to riches that felt aimless so I stopped playing.)

The point of backing up is not to have a save to play with right now. It's to have an untouched file just in case it gets corrupted when you try to load it. Backing up a file doesn't change it, so why would you expect it to be magically fixed?

As @Camkat said, the installation of the patch might have been what corrupted the save. It happens. I've seen it happen more than once (not with Sims but with other programs.)

Actually, I said that it didn't. If that had been the case then my backups would have worked. ;) Although, at first, it was the prime suspect because lets face it, it normally is. No doubt that it's happened to some people, though I haven't heard that to be the case this time around in particular.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    edited June 2020
    I Just checked. My 100 generation legacy save still works after the update. :D

Now time to check my 3 other saves :( .
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    My latest save crashes. My oldest save still works. I didn’t check the ones in the middle. I’m hoping for an emergency patch Friday when the pack is released.
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    There's a white border line that appears around the loading screen when I try to load my saves. When it disappears, my saves crash. They better fix this soon.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    There's a white border line that appears around the loading screen when I try to load my saves. When it disappears, my saves crash. They better fix this soon.

Same white line here, but no crash.
  • Options
    A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    I have 8 saves, 6 have had cc/mods prior to the patch and all work fine. My SimsieSave which has never had mods/cc is fine. But my build save, which has never had mods/cc won’t open 🙁. It has builds in various stages of completion along with the Maxis default builds that shipped with each world.

I reset my Sims folder before the patch and only replaced my saves, tray, and options folders after the patch, and repaired my game. I just really hope they can fix it because I have several builds I was working on that I don’t want to lose.

It was my build save that crashed too. I didn’t try all of them though so I don’t know if any of the others would have crashed. I had one house that I’d been working on the roof for HOURS to get it to look like a picture I saw. I really hope I don’t lose it.

When I started writing this I was thinking, “maybe it crashed because we had unfinished builds” but, duh!, how would the game know it was unfinished? 🙄
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Wykkyd wrote: »
    My "testingcheats" command is not working. When I try to enable it, it tosses back "Unable to execute command" error. The "bb.moveobjects" works.

Anyone else have an issue with that after the patch?

Thanks in advance!

It’s working fine for me. I hope yours starts working soon!

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited June 2020
    Aine wrote: »
    You need to remember to backup your saves, people! This situation is exactly why you do it, so that if it gets corrupted you still have it.

Yeah, I've gotten lazy with that since I haven't had serious issues with TS4.
    I backed up as soon as I read about his. My main save worked, but I just poked around to check out the ladders and that poor quality MAC makeup. I haven't tried my other saves, but they aren't important.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    evelewis wrote: »
    I've had issues with patches crashing saves that had been heavily modded in the past, but not to the extent it seems people are experiencing this go around. What worked for me was removing all my mods before downloading the patch, in addition to all the last exceptions. I then utilized Origin's "repair" game function, then downloaded the patch. I don't know if this would work for anybody else, but doing it this way worked well for me and I haven't had any issues accessing my saves.

I had just repaired my game yesterday and I have no mods or cc and still one of my saves, my build save, crashed. I was able to open a different save and start a new one without problems but every time I tried the build save it shut down.

I can’t imagine what all these crashing saves have in common that all those others that didn’t crash don’t have. I’d hate to be the person trying to figure it out.
  • Options
    KolikokolitkaKolikokolitka Posts: 178 Member
    I've never backed up my saves but yesterday I was like "meh, why not" and I did backed it up. :smiley:
    EA ID: Simkiim (you can find all my Maxis-only builds on Gallery)
    My build previews on this site HERE.
  • Options
    Some people were thinking it’s got something to do with their Nvidia card but I’ve got a Radeon (I think- but for sure it’s not Nvidia) and I had a save crash too. But I had a different save load and consoles are crashing too so I don’t think it’s related to our computer’s specs but who knows what it could be.

It’s good to brainstorm possibilities but it’s probably going to be something like “if you’ve got a left handed toddler with maxed motor skill and level one potty training AND also a cat’s litter box that needs cleaning but only if it’s located on a floor other than the first floor” then your save will crash. But if your toddler’s right handed, it’s all good. 😁
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I'm normally backing up my TS4 files monthly. Periods when I play almost daily I really should consider backing up twice as often. I've decided to grab the patch tonight, knowing that if it breaks my main save I will not be able to play the game until there is a fix. That might be a good excuse for editing my latest video though, it should have been done a month ago... or I could simply spend the weekend cleaning my apt instead of getting pixel-eco ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    I only have one save. :# Welp too late now... my game is updating. Fingers crossed things work out for me lol.
  • Options
    turmalina007turmalina007 Posts: 118 Member
    I had one save but many households fit in it cause of rotational play. Now it`s broken. It happens everytime they have update before major pack. Can`t say i`m surprised.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I'm starting to think it might have something to do with a build/buy item from Tiny Living. It seems like most of the crashing comes from more recent saves, and they include build-only saves. That makes me think it's a build related issue. Or maybe even a combatibility issue with the patch before this one. But something specific that only some people have used while others haven't.

I'd be curious to see if anyone wanted to disable the Tiny Living pack in Origin and see if loading the game works. (Process of elimination.)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I've now played 3 previous different Saves all day with no crashes at all and have had no problems with any of them so the problems must either be with machines, updating, mods, cc or maybe virus checkers.

Just my experiences though, playing all packs and no additions.
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've now played 3 previous different Saves all day with no crashes at all and have had no problems with any of them so the problems must either be with machines, updating, mods, cc or maybe virus checkers.

Unfortunately, all three of those are ruled out by the fact that the same problem is happening across PC, Mac, and console players. It's unclear why some are experiencing it and others are not.

SimGuruNick actually just posted on his twitter that yes, a fix is in the works and that once that fix is released the saves should work as they did before. Whatever the problem is, the actual save file isn't it.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

Unfortunately, all three of those are ruled out by the fact that the same problem is happening across PC, Mac, and console players. It's unclear why some are experiencing it and others are not.

SimGuruNick actually just posted on his twitter that yes, a fix is in the works and that once that fix is released the saves should work as they did before. Whatever the problem is, the actual save file isn't it.

Must be some common denominator that they all use and I don't. It will be interesting to find out what it is! :)
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I'm starting to think it might have something to do with a build/buy item from Tiny Living. It seems like most of the crashing comes from more recent saves, and they include build-only saves. That makes me think it's a build related issue. Or maybe even a combatibility issue with the patch before this one. But something specific that only some people have used while others haven't.

I'd be curious to see if anyone wanted to disable the Tiny Living pack in Origin and see if loading the game works. (Process of elimination.)

My existing save crashed, and I don't own Tiny Living.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    I backed up my saves, tray, and mods just to be safe, in case my saves became corrupt. I also pulled out the one mod I had. It needed to be updated anyway. I did leave the cc in the folder. Not sure if taking out the mod prior to updating helped. But so far, I haven’t had any crashes in my main save. I haven’t tested the other ones though. I did download the updated version of UI cheats after I tested my game for about 10 minutes. Game seems to be running smoothly for now. I hope they put out a hotfix asap. I know with every patch we end up with bugs. But this is unacceptable. I’m sorry to everyone that can’t open their game. 😟
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

I'm wondering if it's something with sculpting the terrain, because the only save where I've done that extensively is my No Mods save (I generally build more than play in it.)

Then again, it's not like I've tried all of my saves.
  • Options
    HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    I was really looking forward to Eco Lifestyle, but it doesn't look like I'll be getting it any time soon. No point spending money when I can't even play my game! Hope this fix comes soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top