Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Knitting? What the...

Are you kidding me? How exciting will it be to watch my Sim sit in a chair or maybe, more excitingly, a sofa and manipulate two sticks to create a scarf, sweater, or hat!?! OMG how exciting! It simply takes my breath away. I can't imagine how marvelous it will be when that pack comes out. I bet it beats all sales of previous packs to date.

You all realize I'm being snarky?
My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8

Comments

• Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    It will be just as exciting as doing laundry! Or taking care of a newborn (this one is relative)!

The snark is strong with you :)
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited March 2020
    I love to knit. I can't wait to see my sims enjoying this awesome activity and to see how my sims teach this skill their children as well as my mom taught me and as I will teach my own daughter soon. Knitting is awesome. It brings me joy and peace. I think everyone should knit to bring joy and peace into their life :-P
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Hi ArcherDK, I love your avatar! And I'll take that as a compliment. But you are right. I've not yet used the laundry pack. It simply holds no interest for me. But most packs do have some stuff that I like. But man...knitting? That really does, lol, float my boat!

Really, laundry for players who like to make their games life like makes sense. But knitting? In real life, I do it once in a couple decades, I've got all kinds of projects started, but have never finished a single thing since I was in my teens 50 years ago. See? knitting at this time is simply ridiculous. But I'm sure somebody does it and likes it. I'm just not sure if they play the sims, lol
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hi. I knit regularly. I play the Sims. I found lots of other knitting Simmers back when I had a "share your crafting" thread in Off Topic here. I just can't knit & play Sims at the same time? Would need full voice control for that...

Current projects:
    - polishing off a black Aran sweater
    - wrist warmers made in two diagonal layers (a good swatch project)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Bearly_MediaBearly_Media Posts: 124 Member
    Knitting is a lot like the Murphy Bed; great to have--but how many households am I going to put a Murphy Bed in?

Laundry on the other hand is similar to kitchen appliances or bathroom plumbing--I'm going to have it in most households.

I can think of maybe a couple sims who will Knit. I really hope they don't give the Rocking Chair the same treatment as Lounge Chairs where you can't use your phone, tablet, or read a book on it.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    The Knitting aspect is fun, but as a general Crafter/Maker - I just want my Sims to have a craft room. :smiley: The knitting gives them something to do in said craft room, though I'd have preferred sewing (another riveting animation, I'm sure...)

But this latest vote for the Build/Buy stuff is the one I was waiting for. I just hope we get enough Craft Room decor and clutter.

No, not every sim is going to have it, but I haven't used the actual laundry stuff from Laundry day yet either (because I don't actually want my sims worrying about laundry) I've used everything else, though. Maybe try to look at the Arts and Crafts pack - and the winning theme was actually Arts and Crafts with knitting as the game play, not Knitting as the Theme - in the same way? What else can you use from it that's not the gameplay element?

and maybe join the push for Happy Haunts to be resurrected as a Ghost centered game pack.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @windweaver Thank you, you're too kind.
    I did, in fact, mean it as a compliment :)

When it comes to knitting - it's good to have it, but that's about it.
    I suppose it's better to have the option rather than not...

As for Laundry - I've played a lot with it and all I remember
    are endless animations related to clean clothing.
    I had to dot it out to make it bearable. Otherwise, it's exactly that - laundry.
    I have enough laundry in real life, thank you very much. Again - nice to have, but I can't justify it.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,611 Member
    Look at it this way, at least you can give your Elders something to do, that's actually productive. Some of us have been asking for this skill for a long time. Yeah, if all you do in your game is sit and watch a Sim skill, (because I'm getting the definite impression knitting will be a skill to develop) then woe is you. (To me that's grinding.) Me, I play full households and I create a story as things go along. Having Granny sitting back in her comfy chair and knitting stuff is great. Think of the presents she can hand out at Winterfest! Or, perhaps, she can add money to the family funds by selling her crafts. This will give her a sense of purpose. I also have Sims occasionally gather the dirty clothes and do the laundry. This makes for some gameplay when your active Sim is the only one on the lot during the course of a Sim day. Plus, it adds some realism. We can't have all Sims 'clean house', as that's reserved for Sims with the Neat trait. Which is too bad. Our Stay-at-Homes (Homemakers) can't even busy themselves making beds. Yeah, I realize these little details bore the beejeebies out of many of you, but I find them adding that piece of life to my game.

~No snark intended.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    @GalacticGal Like I said - it's good to have an option.
    You never know when it becomes useful.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I agree that with you that knitting is going to be boring to watch and I'm probably not going to enjoy watching my sims sit there. I will in all likely hood not buy this pack. However, the majority of the community disagrees since it did win the vote and it's why we are getting it in the first place. In my opinion there were more exciting things on the list to vote for, but *shrugs* that's how vote's go.

It is just a stuff pack though, if there's enough cute CAS and BB I could still be tempted into buying it on a sale. Depends what they might be able to knit too and sell it as extra craft and money making possibilities. I wouldn't rule out that type of game play for my sims either.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Idk what you are talking about, knitting may very well be the most exciting thing since...since...since..ummm...
    but seriously I like it, I like arts and crafts in general and are any of those exciting to watch? For a more than 1 household it is also a good way to keep one sim occupied while looking after the other, so you don't have to watch them knit.
    that said, Happy Haunts would've still been better (but hey, maybe we will at least get to knit a reaper doll).
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    Idk what you are talking about, knitting may very well be the most exciting thing since...since...since..ummm...
    but seriously I like it, I like arts and crafts in general and are any of those exciting to watch? For a more than 1 household it is also a good way to keep one sim occupied while looking after the other, so you don't have to watch them knit.
    that said, Happy Haunts would've still been better (but hey, maybe we will at least get to knit a reaper doll).

The reaper doll being included is what decides if I buy this pack :) No reaper no pack.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    It's what the community voted for.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I would rather have happy haunts than this knitting pack but i would rather have this knitting pack than tiny living.
  • Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    I'm starting to look at stuff packs as a duality: the gameplay/theme and the "stuff." Rarely, it feels, are the two connected.

Look at Movie Hangout. The gameplay/theme is movies and the stuff is Boho chic. Fitness Stuff has fitness gameplay and "modern" themed stuff.

So while the gameplay is knitting, the stuff looks to be Coachella chic, which is what I am more excited for.
  • Options
    RavenSpit wrote: »

What is this about a Happy Haunts? I haven't seen anything about it.

• Options
    To all the rest of the community: I'm really glad you all are happy. Lol, I guess I just expect the bar to be a bit higher. In The Sims 2 we had a sewing machine which your sim could make all the clothes in the CAS once they leveled up, that was fantastic. They could fix an old car and drive it, they could do all kinds of things from the hobby pack. That's where my high bar comes from. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, I just find knitting rather boring, but whatever floats your boat.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    What is this about a Happy Haunts? I haven't seen anything about it.

It was one of the SP concepts we could vote for, an occult/paranormal SP that could've included an occult carreer like being a grim reaper/ ghost hunter/psychic, or being able to hold a seance/use a ouija board. I think it came second in the ranking.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    HyawehHyaweh Posts: 36 Member
    I think people who voted for it (and i'm included in them) miss a lot of hobbies in the Sims. I agree with you and the sewing machine. It's very cool. And I'm glad that somehow my elders would be more concerned by this for once. Even if I know everyone can knit, I can't prevent to imagine my elders doing it, some interaction between my elders and my kids. I also chose some clothes and furnitures that change so we can have a new style.

I'm more of a family player so for me it's a good add in the game, I just hope they will bring the animation a little up for new stuff and also a little more fun as ts2.
    Sorry for my English, I'm French.
  • Options
    davidsaradavidsara Posts: 117 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? How exciting will it be to watch my Sim sit in a chair or maybe, more excitingly, a sofa and manipulate two sticks to create a scarf, sweater, or hat!?! OMG how exciting! It simply takes my breath away. I can't imagine how marvelous it will be when that pack comes out. I bet it beats all sales of previous packs to date.

You all realize I'm being snarky?

remember the options were ghost/paranormal dlc, science heavy dlc, sports focused dlc or knitting dlc.
    2/4 of those were actual gameplay changing viable options, the other 2 were skill and cosmetic focused.
    if the majority want to focus on a stuff pack that they have to sit around and make the stuff (not customized mind like sims 3) then thats what we will get, no matter how gameplay changing a paranormal focused gameplay pack or science pack would have brought.
  • Options
    KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    Yep, knitting is wonderful and exciting and I am not ashamed to say that I was one of those people who voted for it :) I love to have simple things in my game. Realistic details. Ordinary hobbies. Maybe that's just me but I'd rather watch my sim knit next to a fireplace then send them hunting ghosts.
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited March 2020
    Look at it this way, at least you can give your Elders something to do, that's actually productive. Some of us have been asking for this skill for a long time. Yeah, if all you do in your game is sit and watch a Sim skill, (because I'm getting the definite impression knitting will be a skill to develop) then woe is you. (To me that's grinding.) Me, I play full households and I create a story as things go along. Having Granny sitting back in her comfy chair and knitting stuff is great. Think of the presents she can hand out at Winterfest! Or, perhaps, she can add money to the family funds by selling her crafts. This will give her a sense of purpose. I also have Sims occasionally gather the dirty clothes and do the laundry. This makes for some gameplay when your active Sim is the only one on the lot during the course of a Sim day. Plus, it adds some realism. We can't have all Sims 'clean house', as that's reserved for Sims with the Neat trait. Which is too bad. Our Stay-at-Homes (Homemakers) can't even busy themselves making beds. Yeah, I realize these little details bore the beejeebies out of many of you, but I find them adding that piece of life to my game.

~No snark intended.

But elders can do a lot of things. They can read and write books, draw and there is a flower arrangement table (with Seasons) which is also crafty... . They can play card games on the table. So i dont get it really.
    Knitting is not just for elders, we already voted for DIY instead of granny specific stuff.
    I mean seriously how many times does anyone use the flower arrangement table and the skill that comes with it. I bet, when this pack comes out everyone will be playing at speed 3 while the sim will knit.
    Well at least there will be a rocking chair...
    Oh and gift giving comes with seasons too ... not everyone has that... that will be 40$

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited March 2020
    PreCiious wrote: »

~No snark intended.

But elders can do a lot of things. They can read and write books, draw and there is a flower arrangement table (with Seasons) which is also crafty... . They can play card games on the table. So i dont get it really.
    Knitting is not just for elders, we already voted for DIY instead of granny specific stuff.
    I mean seriously how many times does anyone use the flower arrangement table and the skill that comes with it. I bet, when this pack comes out everyone will be playing at speed 3 while the sim will knit.
    Well at least there will be a rocking chair...
    Oh and gift giving comes with seasons too ... not everyone has that... that will be 40$

I'm hoping the sims will actually be able to knit in the chair. (I wouldn't put it past them to add the chair but can't use it to knit... *jaded*)

However, despite how I feel about knitting, I think I would even buy this pack if the chair could be used to have children and toddlers sit in an YA/Adult/Elder lap and read stories, cuddle and chat. That alone would make it worth the $10 to me.

I'm also really not understanding this need from everyone that our elders need stuff to do. They can do anything they want just like a YA. I've built a "senior centre" and "retirement home" in my game and use them both for my seniors. They can gather there and swim, work out, play games, write, read, "drink", horseshoes, fooseball, garden, flower arranging. They are what you make them.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,436 Member
    I like the idea of sims being creative and make clothing and objects by knitting them. Personally I would have preferred sewing but knitting is close enough.

But I do understand the OP. I had a very similar feeling when I first heard about laundry day stuff.

Luckily with stuff packs it is easy to skip one if the theme really bothers you. You won't have to miss out on any other gameplay if you don't get this stuff pack.