Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing The Sims 4 Gives Me Anxiety Now

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    I don't really know what you mean by 'I wish (...) it would be easier to ignore'. Personally I haven't attended uni in TS4 ever since... I guess two days after launch. I find it so easy to ignore that, at times, I don't even remember it's there in the first place.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    I don't really know what you mean by 'I wish (...) it would be easier to ignore'. Personally I haven't attended uni in TS4 ever since... I guess two days after launch. I find it so easy to ignore that, at times, I don't even remember it's there in the first place.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the popups suggesting your sims go to university are what are making me anxious because it causes me to believe that university is very important to my sims. There are three in total, and one of them is gigantic. Whenever I see a popup relating to university, I feel pressured to prepare to send my sims, or else I feel like a jerk.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited March 2020
    Oh I see, I didn't even remember those. Well tell your sims that celebrity yields better benefits that any degree can provide them! Nothing beats the 'career hopper' perk. If you want the best for them, skipping uni is actually a must do ^.^
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    When TS4 Discover University came out, I bought it for the new CAS items, which imo are the best in any pack. However, I have an anxiety disorder, and I get triggered very easily. I don’t like sending sims to university, and I didn’t like it in TS3 either, because I prefer family play.

However, whenever I play a YA without sending them to university, a popup appears saying that they should consider further education, and this, for some reason, always triggers my anxiety. The only way I can continue playing the save without anxiety is to send the sim to university, even though I hate the whole thing.

After sending several generations of sims to university, setting the lifespan to long while they were there so they still had time to have a family afterwards, I got so frustrated that I killed off one of my sims so I wouldn’t have to send her to university. I saved over it and kept playing, but seeing her family constantly in tears over her death made me feel like a monster, so I deleted the save, and I haven’t played the game since.

At this point, I feel like I may never enjoy the game again. I don’t want to start a new save because, if I do, I’ll have to send more sims to university. I also don’t want to uninstall University because I like the CAS items. What should I do?!

The question is why do you feel pressure from the developers' message in game for you to use that pack? It's your game, ignore it and "Challenge Everything".
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    If you're willing to use a mod to get rid of the popups, @Simtown15, I can offer to share mine:
    http://bienchen83.bplaced.net/s4/mods/sims4me_noenrollmentandscholarshipinfo.rar
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    @83bienchen Sorry, but I'm wary of links to unfamiliar websites. Could you upload it to Mod the Sims instead?
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I'm very sorry, but I'm not uploading to MTS since several years anymore as I don't approve of their policies.

The file is lying on my own server, no danger whatsover, no upload services used, no adverts. Nothing.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    If the game is giving you that much anxiety, then surely the CAS items are no longer worth it, so you can just uninstall the DU expansion pack..?
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    @Simtown15 , @83bienchen is a very reputable modder. I've used several things from their site with no problem and fully trust anything I download from there.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I'll go check the website then. Thank you.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2020
    maybe you should just uninstall uni
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    It's interesting that the "Discover University" seems to be causing the most anxiety. That and "Cats & Dogs", are the only two game packs I don't have yet.
    As for myself, with family and friends getting really sick and some dying over the years in my life, I've refrained from getting the "Strangerville" expansion pack. Even though this is just a game, I don't need simulated diseases, infections, and deadly illness like that on my relaxation time. I have to deal with in real life all the time.

@83bienchen Thanks for the simple mod to disable what I call 'nag pop-ups', heh! If and when I get DU and that starts to drive me nuts, I know how to disable it now. Cheers.

@Babykittyjade I love the boats and swimming around chasing mermaids in Sulani. I know, I know, I'm just a big kid. :D:p;)

@Karon "Some people will start a business, some people will start a war..." is what I thought you wrote there when I was speed-reading your comment. Heh! (Well-written by the way, I had to read it twice to absorb it. Very insightful) :)

@Purrrmeow I've had a cat that got sick then got better, but then died a year later from a urinary tract blockage within an hour or so. I didn't catch it in time to take him to the vet. So part of the reasons I'm avoiding "Cats & Dogs". :|
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    @Admiral8Q thanks, I hope it helps with your writing.
  • Options
    @83bienchen Are you keeping your mod up-to-date? I'm considering re-installing the pack for the bathroom stalls and public showers.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I always stop aging at university and do two classes a week so no stress.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I get that anxiety thing too the more packs are added. I have too many options and too many phone calls or messages to say come out and dine with me, meet me at....., join us in the ......society, enroll in university etc., etc. I tend to turn them all down and carry on regardless and it doesn't appear to matter very much.

If that Rod Humble Tektonic effort is like this from the start I'm not buying it. I can just cope with getting this sort of stuff little by little as time goes by.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I've been having my sims do their university courses from home and I find it much more enjoyable this way. I tried the dorms with a few sims when the pack first released but it got old fast. There's really no benefit to living at the university campus. The events are boring, roommates are annoying and if I keep my sims at home with the family I can still enjoy playing with multiple sims while my student takes care of all the boring homework tasks. I know university is seemingly a hit when it comes to expansions packs but for me personally it falls very flat.

I'm thinking of having my next Sim commute -- my first Sim lived in the dorms and met her future husband so if you've got a Sim that doesn't socialize much going to college might be a good way to hook him/her up. One of my current Sims never went to college and is doing just fine in the Painter career. I like some of the extras that come with University packs; I plan on having my favorite Geek Liam O'Dourke get into robotics once I start playing him again. B) And I do like the campus activities; I had my Sim join the Art Society and thanks to that and Plopsy she made enough money painting to pay for her full college education, no loans needed. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Dijktafone wrote: »

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the popups suggesting your sims go to university are what are making me anxious because it causes me to believe that university is very important to my sims. There are three in total, and one of them is gigantic. Whenever I see a popup relating to university, I feel pressured to prepare to send my sims, or else I feel like a 🌺🌺🌺🌺.

There are supposedly a few perks, but they're easy to ignore; if you're not adverse to cheats you can even give your Sims a degree that way. Not everyone in Real Life goes off to University -- some just take night classes (you can use the Skill Classes to substitute) and they do just fine in life. I might send the younger son in my current family to University (he's still only a child); thinking his brother will probably go into the military. It's like going to Batuu -- you get the phone call and popup reminding you it's there, but you don't have to drop everything and go.

Deep breaths, my friend -- you'll be fine. I've dealt with anxiety before and I know it's not easy, just say, "No thanks" or "Not right now" and move on. B) Hugs. <3
  • Options
    @stilljustme2 It’s funny that you use Batuu as an example because it’s one of the few packs that I don’t have.
  • Options
    @stilljustme2 It’s funny that you use Batuu as an example because it’s one of the few packs that I don’t have.

Yeah, got it from a friend; it's a very niche pack, not for all my Sims but I think Sean McGowan in my current family will enjoy the trip (he's a Geek that I plan to start on Programming once he hits his Teen years); not sure if I'll send him before or after University.
  • Options
    Part 2 of this thread in case this one gets closed for necroposting:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/982260/how-do-i-face-my-fear#latest