Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion packs titles: GET and LIVING

leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
Somebody find a relation or a meta-theme at those 2?
Me yes and it is:

GET: Expansion Packs where main themes involve activities and those activities are developed in deep.
LIVING: EP where their themes are around a life-style, for the 2 for now, we get the busi city and the relaxing islands

Comments

• Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Gosh, I hadn't noticed it, but you are quite right! It does seem that "Living" EPs are focused more on different lifestyles and activities, whereas "Get" ones are more goal-oriented, with more linear gameplay and pre-determined options.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Gets get more gameplay contents than 'Living' that only constrained only in specific world.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited July 2019
    Get Living I think they're telling us something.

On a serious note, this makes a lot of sense. I wish they could find a nice balance because the "Get" packs (aside from Get Together) have worlds that are less fleshed out and the "Living" packs have beautiful worlds, but most of the gameplay is restricted to it.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Living: Nothing to do much in a new world and means live among nice scenery. World for $40 not much else.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Living: Nothing to do much in a new world and means live among nice scenery. World for $40 not much else.

I still look at the statements like this and think "What the f are they on about".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    This is why Seasons is the best pack. No "Get" and no "Living".
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Eh. It's the second worst expansion pack after Get To Work.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

couldnt agree more, that is true to cats and dogs too I assume.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    citysimmer wrote: »

On a serious note, this makes a lot of sense. I wish they could find a nice balance because the "Get" packs (aside from Get Together) have worlds that are less fleshed out and the "Living" packs have beautiful worlds, but most of the gameplay is restricted to it.

How so, thn both add only 1 aspiration, both at location category.
    That category (as the aspirations here) mean play in the world of that pack
  • Options

this is seious
  • Options
    rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member

I still look at the statements like this and think "What the f are they on about".

It’s probabally because the cinebar and a lot of people me included feel like there isn’t that much substantial gameplay with these types of packa and a LOT is left out for example

City living the world looks nice but the gameplay i extremely limited

Apartments are nice but you can’t build your own,place them in other worlds or customise the walls of existing ones

Festivals can’t be edited so it gets repetitive
    Plus most objects are base game ones that players barely used like the game thing and rockets

And other than that you get a singing skill
    A couple of nice jobs i will say that

But the gameplay itself feels shallow you run out of new things to do quickly and seems incredibly lazy compared to older apartment packs wich had a lot more gameplay there is no denying that

The same goes for island living wich is even worse in my opinion

The world is amazing i agree but i pay for more than esthetics here

The gameplay is swimming in the ocean but only in sulani we got this for free in ts3 but that’s besides the point

Two types of boats wich can only be used by one sim at a time

Festivals wich add nothing new really

One new semi playable career wich was fun imo for a little while

3 rabbit hole jobs wich should have been proffesion and playable

Diving wich is just a rabit hole nothing really special there

Mermaids are cool but don’t have a lot to them

And dolphins wich are nice

But they all have the same problem of they are nice things but get old really quick there is no depth there all just small things you play with a couple times and your done island living has this problem especially since there isn’t really a big game changer some would say it’s swimming in the ocean wich is great to finally have and im happy with it but on the other hand it’s not worth the price tag

The direction they went with was cool living on the island i just wish we could learn more of the history of the island like learn a new dance and those elementals are just another way to change emotions wich we already have 1000 Wats to do this it’s just the same stuff we already have with a new coat of paint on it but none of it actually changes the game
    You could say that it is better than island paradise bc it lags less but imo that’s not a fair comparison a game can run great but if it isn’t fun it’s not good
    And even island paradise was lacking depth
    But island living just feels like they ran out of time or they only care about how the game looks

I am happy for those who do love it it just wasn’t worth the price tag to me both of those expansions feel incomplete and this seems to be an ongoing trend with the sims 4 from the very beginning now im not here to hate on the game im saying this because i love the sims we all do and we want this game to be the best it can be it just isn’t this game is almost 5 years old and still isn’t as exciting and fun as ts2 a game that game out 15 years ago i really really miss the vision of will wright he just knew how to make the game great
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »

this is seious

I think I should take a break from The sims.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

It’s probabally because the cinebar and a lot of people me included feel like there isn’t that much substantial gameplay with these types of packa and a LOT is left out for example

City living the world looks nice but the gameplay i extremely limited

Apartments are nice but you can’t build your own,place them in other worlds or customise the walls of existing ones

Festivals can’t be edited so it gets repetitive
    Plus most objects are base game ones that players barely used like the game thing and rockets

And other than that you get a singing skill
    A couple of nice jobs i will say that

But the gameplay itself feels shallow you run out of new things to do quickly and seems incredibly lazy compared to older apartment packs wich had a lot more gameplay there is no denying that

The same goes for island living wich is even worse in my opinion

The world is amazing i agree but i pay for more than esthetics here

The gameplay is swimming in the ocean but only in sulani we got this for free in ts3 but that’s besides the point

Two types of boats wich can only be used by one sim at a time

Festivals wich add nothing new really

One new semi playable career wich was fun imo for a little while

3 rabbit hole jobs wich should have been proffesion and playable

Diving wich is just a rabit hole nothing really special there

Mermaids are cool but don’t have a lot to them

And dolphins wich are nice

But they all have the same problem of they are nice things but get old really quick there is no depth there all just small things you play with a couple times and your done island living has this problem especially since there isn’t really a big game changer some would say it’s swimming in the ocean wich is great to finally have and im happy with it but on the other hand it’s not worth the price tag

The direction they went with was cool living on the island i just wish we could learn more of the history of the island like learn a new dance and those elementals are just another way to change emotions wich we already have 1000 Wats to do this it’s just the same stuff we already have with a new coat of paint on it but none of it actually changes the game
    You could say that it is better than island paradise bc it lags less but imo that’s not a fair comparison a game can run great but if it isn’t fun it’s not good
    And even island paradise was lacking depth
    But island living just feels like they ran out of time or they only care about how the game looks

I am happy for those who do love it it just wasn’t worth the price tag to me both of those expansions feel incomplete and this seems to be an ongoing trend with the sims 4 from the very beginning now im not here to hate on the game im saying this because i love the sims we all do and we want this game to be the best it can be it just isn’t this game is almost 5 years old and still isn’t as exciting and fun as ts2 a game that game out 15 years ago i really really miss the vision of will wright he just knew how to make the game great

Conclusion?
    SimGurus should no make more LIVING packs
    EDIT: thinking better, simmers want a farming pack, and it can fit at a LIVING EP
    Farm Living
    as would be a rural world. I dunno than farms can fit at Willow Creek or Oasis Springs
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    The "living" EPs are about a world and lifestyle. A farm EP could be called "Country Living" for instance.
    The "Get" EPs are about gameplay. Now with Get together for instance there are both a nice world and gameplay aspect. Whereas in Island Living there's a beautiful world but the gameplay is mostly tied to that world.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Interestingly, the German name of Outdoor Retreat translates back to Outdoor Living. Anyone else think it should actually have been called that, introducing Granite Falls as a residential world, the Off the Grid trait and some objects that work with it, instead of a vacation destination??

... Okay, I'm getting carried away. But yeah, I noticed this too. :) And now I'm waiting for Arctic Living...
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Interestingly, the German name of Outdoor Retreat translates back to Outdoor Living. Anyone else think it should actually have been called that, introducing Granite Falls as a residential world, the Off the Grid trait and some objects that work with it, instead of a vacation destination??

... Okay, I'm getting carried away. But yeah, I noticed this too. :) And now I'm waiting for Arctic Living...

Outdoor Retreat isn't an EP.

And TS3 already has a SP called Outdoor Living.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Great.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

With this statment, new players will be fine buying all EP except the LIVING ones
    Aso I agree than living ones are restricted to the world. Its is true for Island Living, but also for City Living, as most of its "new" gameplay mechanics are restricted to San Myshuno