August 16 - Ready for the Friday Highlight? Check it out here!
August 16 - Guru Garage day! SimGurus are ready to continue with the Guru Games - details here!
August 15 - We have updated the forum rules. Learn more here.

If they were doing a major free update, what would you want to see?

Comments

  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 400 Member
    oh my gosh, free the babies already, they've been captive long enough!
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 288 Member
    Can we please have spiral staircases

    I've just had a thought that it would also be cool if ladders could be used as stairs.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 20
    Baby update and a fear emotion.

    It really would be nice if they brought back fear as an emotion, and if sims could have wildly varying fears depending on traits and such.
    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 110 Member
    A lot more traits and at least one more trait slot, if not two. My Sims feel too similar.

    The problem is I'm not sure allowing sims to have more traits would help them feel more individual. If anything, with how the mechanics work currently, it might blend them all together even more.

    Traits themselves need to be reworked to have more impact on gameplay. Right now most traits boil down to "gets a +1 [insert emotion here] moodlet at random", which... kinda plum.

    It would be nice not only to rework traits to give them more weight and more sim individuality, but also to allow up to four traits, but fewer if you want the trait to have more sway.

    So I could make a sim with only trait, or a sim with four.
    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 310 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    Jennifer_ wrote: »
    online play would be the dream, but it's probably not possible

    When I asked my roommate this was exactly what she said she wanted most. Multiplayer LAN and online Sims is the dream. And I'm not talking facebook games or Sims Mobile. But true multiplayer is so far afield that I want to chide myself for even wishing for it. But yeah, I'd love it if my roommate and I could be playing the same save at the same time. And like Minecraft or whatever, you can set permissions for what kind of game you want to be hosting. So it could be a free for all where we're live-destroying each other's builds during building just to be buttheads (lol)/grabbing their sims when they release control of them to go ruin their marriage or it could be like a "you can't control other people's lots or other people's sims and here's some strict rules for who can do what" thing, and each host could decide the rules for their game.

    I've always played sims with my closest friends, since I was kid. It would be nice to do that in-game somehow instead of just looking over each other's shoulders and talking about it. If my roommate and I could sit in a room together and talk about what we want to do next in the Sims the way we talk about Minecraft or Don't Starve or Guild Wars, that'd be great.

    This reminds of playing MMOs with my cousin back in the day when we were both obsessed with them, it'd be pretty much the best thing ever if we could do that with the sims. And yeah, there's so much that'd have to go into that even thinking about it seems silly, but man it would be awesome.

    And I've said this in other threads due to how many great ideas there are, but I'd love to see any of what's been mentioned in the thread make it to the game. I really love playing big families and friend groups so I'd love to see more well-defined family relationships, including being able to create certain relative relationships in CAS like cousins, aunts & uncles without first having to make a bunch of other related sims like parents and siblings who you'll just end up killing off for plot purposes anyway. I'd also like to see different friend groups or other relationship types be represented in CAS, because sometimes you just want to make a household of best friends, or enemies, or non-married lovers.

    Speaking of families and households, the reason object babies annoy me (and it is a minor annoyance mind you, but still something that strikes me as lazy and uninspired) is because they really don't seem like part of the family, but (SURPRISE~!) objects. Children are just freaking boring. There's so much potential for kids to invite / be invited to hang out at home with their friends, skip school to play at the arcade (sidenote: niche but arcades would be lit) or see a movie and then get in trouble for it, act up act school and get suspended (idk if this actually is in game, please tell me if it is), develop crushes on each other. Yet most child sim gameplay seems to be "do homework", "do extra credit", "do school project", and disciplining them for painting on the floor. Woo. Elders are just more vulnerable adults, not always being able to exercise or even woohoo safely, which I'm fine with, but they could use more stuff to do to make up for it. Canes and walkers would be cool, as well as some new and more varied skin details because no two people age the same. I remember thinking it'd be cool to have some of the vampire details be available for your more decrepit human sims, but liver spots and moles would also be a nice addition just for something new. New hairs would help, perhaps both glamorous retro & old Hollywood styles, as well as more "real life" thinning hairs and receding hairlines. I hold out no hope for this one but a new swatch of just plain white hair is necessary because the current white is quite clearly a cloudy gray. While I'm throwing long shots out there, how about a new event in San Myshuno for the old folks, a smorgasbord of activities including bingo, card games, mahjong, shuffle boarding, etc. If Spa Day is installed, add in some massage therapists and a place for our elders to soak their feet, they deserve it! And they finally get to connect with people their age who understand them instead of wading through a veritable sea of Young Adults! Playable pets would be appreciated, especially if they were given a complete overhaul to have more interactions (particularly with each other and objects they may find around the world), actual moods and moodlets which are properly color coded and, dare I say? PERSONALITIES!

    On the note of personality, CAS traits really need to affect more of a sim's behavior so as to not get lost in every fleeting mood they find themselves in. Gloomy sims should actually feel gloomy, showing doubt even when happy or confident. Cheerful sims should actually feel cheerful, trying to look on the bright side even when mad or sad. I'm actually somewhat satisfied with hotheaded, because I notice them react differently in many situations than other sims and sometimes they actually feel angry, but even my beloved hotheaded sims fall short of my ideal of what a hotheaded sim should act like, based off of my understanding of the trait. I shouldn't be able to have my rude, mischievous, sadistic sims just walk in a hotheaded sim's home, slap them in the face, clog their toilet, kick their trash can, and be able to leave the hotheaded sim smiling and still have a good relationship with them because they gave them some complements and brightened their day. So many traits are missing, and less traits = smarter sims? The only thing that kind of makes up for this is all of the hidden traits a sim can acquire through gameplay (or cheats if you don't mind using them), which seems to disprove the less traits = smarter sims attitude anyway. And some hidden traits just make you feel less in control. Why can't I just decide during their creation whether or not a sim likes fruitcake, or knows how to use chopsticks? More trait synergy would also be nice. Maybe give ambitious sims an option to criticize a lazy or childish or goofball sim's outlook on life, and allow the lazy/childish/goofball sim to tease the ambitious sim for being so uptight. Hotheaded and gloomy sims are able to "Argue about Outlook on Life", which is a nice start, but overall the game seems lacking in these kinds of trait-specific interactions between sims, which makes the already flat conversations between seem even less meaningful. The fact that sims with certain traits don't react more negatively to the klepto-specific interactions of "Enthuse about Thrill of the Steal" and "Ask About Prized Possessions" genuinely shocked me. I imagine a good sim might become angry about what they perceive as intent to do wrong, but instead it just embarrasses them like any other failed social... which is B O R I N G. Here's where something like a burglar chance event could come in handy with fleshing out sims with certain traits. A hotheaded or materialistic sim could become angry that someone dares to take their things, a gloomy or good sim may get sad at the thought that someone really makes a living stealing from others, a family-oriented, snob or ambitous sim may become tense as they see it as a threat to their either peaceful family life or the life of prestige that they've worked so hard to attain. Active, self-assured, perfectionist, bro, mean & evil sims might become confident at the thought of stopping the burglar themselves, and erratic sims can simply pick a random reaction out of all of these as they latch onto the first idea that pops into their mind and runs with it. Knowing EA though, it's likely all sims would just be tense and do the same freak out animation they do for fires and sims in labor because recycling assets and giving everyone the same reactions are the easy (and cheap) way out.

    With moods, I'd like to see sims react more to each other's moods. So often when two sims are chatting, one is cheesing their face off as pleased as can be, while the other is steaming mad and gesturing angrily at the first sim, or their lip is quivering and they look seconds away from bursting into tears while forcing themselves to stay in the conversation. It'd be great if the happy sim noticed the second sim was mad or sad, got concerned and (assuming a good enough relationship between the two) autonomously tried calming them down or cheering them up. And yet, the happy sim just keeps chatting away about unrelated nonsense and the second sim is either forced to take it in stride, or rejects it and lowers the relationship with the first sim who, not taking the hint, will likely just keep doing the same thing and make things worse. Loner sims are some of the least intuitive. You're feeling tense because you're around a bunch of strangers, so why not retreat to somewhere less populated? No, you'd rather complain to the strangers about how tense they're making you? Really? I've suggestive this before, but instead of just giving a sim the nicely decorated moodlet, why not have a gloomy sim get sad at such a display of opulence when there are sims who don't have a place to live or can't afford to eat? Why not have a jealous or materialistic sim get upset that whatever nicely decorated place they're in is so much fancier than their own home? Why not have creative and art loving sims become inspired upon seeing such beauty, or have perfectionists normally just get the happy "Nicely Decorated" moodlet but like 10% of the time get confident "Master Critic" moodlet for spotting a forged painting in a museum or something?

    I really didn't mean to type all of this but these are just some of the things I'd like to see put in the game. If you've read all of this, you are a trooper, lol.
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 121 Member
    I would like better plant-sims that are actually a permanent occult life state, and babies freed from their cribs.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 20
    GGgkkg wrote: »
    Children are just freaking boring. There's so much potential for kids to invite / be invited to hang out at home with their friends, skip school to play at the arcade (sidenote: niche but arcades would be lit) or see a movie and then get in trouble for it, act up act school and get suspended (idk if this actually is in game, please tell me if it is), develop crushes on each other.

    (Okay, firstly, I loved EVERYTHING you said, and thank you for writing all of it because it was such a delight to read.)

    Crushes are not in the game sadly (god that would be cute), but kids can get invited to skip school. Not to arcades or movies (because, again, they sadly don't exist), but usually to any community lot? (It seems to be a nightclub a LOT, which is hilarious to me. "Hello, yes, we, two ten year olds would like to enter this club on a schoolday at 11 in the morning")

    But it's still underdeveloped. They never get "caught" so far as I can tell, and never get in trouble. If you have parenthood I think it might affect their responsibility, and it might gently slow their progress on their grades? But that's it. The lack of interpersonal repercussions is really disappointing. They don't even get a confident "skipping school" moodlet or tense "worried about being caught" moodlet or anything. Basically you just take the kids to a lot to faff about and nothing about it impacts the game. It's a bummer.
    GGgkkg wrote: »
    Maybe give ambitious sims an option to criticize a lazy or childish or goofball sim's outlook on life, and allow the lazy/childish/goofball sim to tease the ambitious sim for being so uptight. Hotheaded and gloomy sims are able to "Argue about Outlook on Life", which is a nice start, but overall the game seems lacking in these kinds of trait-specific interactions between sims, which makes the already flat conversations between seem even less meaningful. The fact that sims with certain traits don't react more negatively to the klepto-specific interactions of "Enthuse about Thrill of the Steal" and "Ask About Prized Possessions" genuinely shocked me. I imagine a good sim might become angry about what they perceive as intent to do wrong, but instead it just embarrasses them like any other failed social... which is B O R I N G.

    For SURE! Again, the lack of meaningful interpersonal repercussions in game is really glaring. There should be more of a reaction when someone talks about stealing to a good sim (or a materialistic sim, who might be worried about their stuff!). Sims with different personalities (or too similar personalities) should be more of a challenge to get to like each other. Two hot-headed sims should be a NIGHTMARE to try to develop a positive relationship between, and left to their own devices should autonomously lean towards not liking each other. A family oriented sim and a sim who hates kids should be able to duke it out over whether kids are great. A foodie should be APPALLED by a glutton if they're sharing a meal together.

    It's wild to me that I can have my sims be glaringly awful or inappropriate and sims around them will barely notice.
    GGgkkg wrote: »
    With moods, I'd like to see sims react more to each other's moods. So often when two sims are chatting, one is cheesing their face off as pleased as can be, while the other is steaming mad and gesturing angrily at the first sim, or their lip is quivering and they look seconds away from bursting into tears while forcing themselves to stay in the conversation. It'd be great if the happy sim noticed the second sim was mad or sad, got concerned and (assuming a good enough relationship between the two) autonomously tried calming them down or cheering them up.

    Sims with good parenting will still not autonomously attempt to comfort their upset toddlers and it drives me bonkers that I have to tell a supposed good parent to address their two-year-old's tantrum instead of talking to them about princesses or whatever.
    GGgkkg wrote: »
    Loner sims are some of the least intuitive. You're feeling tense because you're around a bunch of strangers, so why not retreat to somewhere less populated? No, you'd rather complain to the strangers about how tense they're making you? Really?

    VEGETARIAN SIMS WILL AUTONOMOUSLY EAT MEAT EVEN IF OTHER OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE.

    The number of times I've come across an unhappy uncomfortable vegetarian because of their own plum will they grabbed a hot dog even though there will also grilled cheese RIGHT THERE. What is the POINT of traits if they won't affect what decisions the sims will autonomously make.

    Instead the only thing that affects autonomous decisions is moods, and in theory traits affect mood by impacting what mood the sim will be in, but that's really really really not good enough (especially because it isn't even implemented well there), because a different trait should give you a different response to a mood! Pet loving sims should be more inclined to autonomously seek solace from their pets when they're sad, but they just cry under the covers like everyone else! Kleptomaniacs should steal to improve any of their bad moods, and on their own! Their traits should determine how they react to their feelings!

    GGgkkg wrote: »
    I've suggestive this before, but instead of just giving a sim the nicely decorated moodlet, why not have a gloomy sim get sad at such a display of opulence when there are sims who don't have a place to live or can't afford to eat? Why not have a jealous or materialistic sim get upset that whatever nicely decorated place they're in is so much fancier than their own home? Why not have creative and art loving sims become inspired upon seeing such beauty, or have perfectionists normally just get the happy "Nicely Decorated" moodlet but like 10% of the time get confident "Master Critic" moodlet for spotting a forged painting in a museum or something?

    This is a GREAT example of how traits and moods should work together.

    And whims should take all of this into account too.

    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • kween-kobikween-kobi Posts: 3 New Member
    All these ideas are amazing. One update or SP I'd be into is a preteen vibe. Like a family overhaul update.
    -Free the babies

    Better elder choices (after retirement jobs, hobbies, etc)

    -Preteen/tween (acne, hormones, options t ok pick sexual preference 😬😬 the whole nine)

    -New clothes for toddlers, kids, tweens (obvi), teens (only teens can wear not young adults), elders

    -Elder canes, wheelchairs, walkers

    -Wheelchair option in CAS 🙌🏾

    -Bring back imaginary friends (baby gets bear, toddler with level 2 imagination skill turns it into imaginary friend & options to keep or stop believing once they turn tweens)

    -Parents can teach children to ride bikes & toddlers to ride tricycles or bikes with training wheels.

    -Parents give Tweens "The Talk", teach to shave, teach about makeup, etc (Teens can give younger siblings advice about boys/girls, tips on puberty)

    -MORE FURNITURE!!! (sectionals, chaise lounges, etc)

    -Teaching teens to drive!!! (which obviously means bringing back our ability to drive lol)


    These are just a few ideas. I have so many they could make a GP or EP out of them lol.
  • sophlesimmersophlesimmer Posts: 19 Member
    This isn't really big, but to be able to make 2 sims dating in cas instead of just room mate or sister or dad or mom or stright to hubby/wife, and to add more family-related relationships ex. aunt, uncle, cousin etc.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 30,592 Member
    A total overhaul of the emotional/trait system. It's so freaking predictable and so underwhemlming and so overlapping it's become the TS4 joke.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/958714/cinebar-custom-content-clothes-updating-links/p1


  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 1,747 Member
    Draggable cribs. That's all I need. Thanks.
    565373_e9cb6146983e475e8583c15aa801e540~mv2.jpg
  • TyrircKidTyrircKid Posts: 52 Member
    Pointy ears on human sims.. them fixing the alien hair issues as i've noticed several varieties of those already (there is one with kid aliens where their hair color keeps changing compared to their eyebrows. and the one where you just can't choose the color the normal way..)
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 110 Member
    TyrircKid wrote: »
    Pointy ears on human sims.. them fixing the alien hair issues as i've noticed several varieties of those already (there is one with kid aliens where their hair color keeps changing compared to their eyebrows. and the one where you just can't choose the color the normal way..)

    Yes! What if I want to make an elf without CC?

    Plus, and I know I've talked about alien revamping, but alien hybrids should be able to have human skintones but pointy ears and alien eyes, etc. Basically Alien/Human genetics should be more complex, with more varieties possible in their offspring.

    But then, that plays into how genetics overall in the game should be more complex.
    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,546 Member
    Caw, star signs, preferences (food, music, color etc), step family recognition, cars are just some I’d love to see!
    giphy_1.gif
  • EliasLayous12EliasLayous12 Posts: 21 Member
    SPIRAL STAAAAAIRS!!!! still don't understand why they didn't include it in Island Living patch😭😭
  • simsteph21simsteph21 Posts: 10 New Member
    This isn’t necessarily a free update but something I would love to see are a whole bunch of ‘milestones’. I want to see things that feel like my sims are living and growing up and changing. For example, learning to talk, crawl, walk (if they ever update babies), crushes, exams, learning to ride a bike, proms, learning to drive, baby showers, bachelorette parties, honeymoons, mid life crises etc. I love feeling like my sims are growing up. They did this really well with toddlers. I love seeing them start to talk or when they start asking why, learning to sleep through the night, using spoons instead of their hands, being able to climb stairs. It’s really the little details that we are missing from sims 3 and I’m tired of waiting. I love the new pack but I already know I’m gonna get bored soon and then I won’t pick up the game for months especially because I’m not interested in the next 2 packs. PLS UPDATE BABIES ALREADY!!
  • GorgeoiousGorgeoious Posts: 44 Member
    All of the above and hotels.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 587 Member
    I'm pretty sure that everything I want has already been said.
    • Improved babies- Babies that can be made in CAS. Have traits similar to toddlers but more focused on babies (Fussy, observant, picky, smiley) Have some different outfits/sleepers to choose from. Cribs, changing tables, baby swing, play mat, playpen, walkers, rattles, teethers, etc. Can be taught to crawl.
    • Tweens- I hate how the teens have been implemented in the sims 4. I love the teens in the sims 2. They seem like typical teens. Also, their facial expressions are right on. In the Sims 4, I can barely tell a teen apart from an adult and they have no special features unless you count going to school/school projects. So older teens need an overhaul big time but I would also love tweens. The year's slumber parties begin and deep friendships. I would go into deep detail but it would take the whole page.
    • Wants/fears- Our sims need these and they should be based on their likes and dislikes and traits. So if you have a sim that has the three traits family oriented, ambitious, and goofball and likes playing the piano, outdoors, and reading books. Dislikes small talk, crowds, and sports. They should have wants and fears based on those things. They would want to get married, have kids, write a book/read a book, play the piano/own a piano and would fear things like being invited to a party, going/playing any sport, having meaningless conversations with people they don't know very well.
    • Likes/dislikes- This could range from what they like and dislike about other sims to what they like/dislike about things around them.
    • Stairs - L-shaped, U-shaped, Spiral, ladder
    • Attics
    • Bunkbeds - not just traditional either
    • More interactions between sims- Not recycled either. I want playing catch outside, tag, cops and robbers, showing off, etc.
    • Memories- similar to Sims 2 that they can think about and remember causing a reaction. If their spouse cheated, someone died or remember when they had their children or got married or that job promotion that they really wanted. It would just be nice if they thought about things that happened to them previously.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 25
    This is so massive a mechanical change that I feel like it would never come in an update, and would instead need to be, well, a whole new game (in Sims 5, if that ever happens?) but it definitely should be a base game level change:

    Non-mutual relationship bars.

    Currently sims generally agree with each other about how much they like one another, and so much interaction is lost based on that. You can't within gameplay have an unrequited love, or that oblivious guy who doesn't realize everyone hates him, or uneven parent/child dynamics (rebellious kids who hate their loving parents, loving kids whose neglectful parents have no opinion on them). If your sim hates someone, that someone hates them back. If they love someone, that someone loves them back. Two sims are never getting two different interpretations of their relationship, which is wild because I find most of dating and befriending and life to be navigating that confusing "are we on the same page?" space.

    Relationship levels should be potentially one-sided. With sims able to do things that might increase or decrease the relationship one-way. Like if your sim farts at the dinner table, the people present might get a lower relationship with that sim, but that sim doesn't lose any relationship towards them. If someone sees your sim playing the guitar like a master, that might make them like that sim a little bit (especially if the sim loves music).

    (Fame sort of works on this level, except fame is also universal where it shouldn't be. A sim is either universally famous or universally not. There's no "this sim is famous to art lovers only" or "this sim is famous among teenagers". And so while fame can create an imbalanced feeling of relationship, it's still really impersonal and not individualized.)

    IDK. For as long as I have been playing out unrequited love stories in my game in my head, it's a bummer we can't have like...actual unrequited love. I'd love to see it added.


    ETA: So apparently this already happens. I just never encounter it. So I'd like to amend this to say, non-mutual relationships should be able to occur more naturally and regularly in the game, and there should be more gameplay mechanics that come from it.
    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,069 Member
    The only thing that's missing is werewolves.
    I'd also like to see some genies and fairies as a part of an expansion, but witches and werewolves should be fleshed out like vampires since they're the holy trinity for me. :D
  • AkilAkil Posts: 175 Member
    I just want lot types to function differently. I don't enjoy how single minded sims are in this game and I miss when they would just use everything you placed on a lot. There are so many creative builds out there but in game play the only way to make sims utilize what you want is through clubs otherwise items get ignored completely. At the very very least I would like the ability to layer two lot types?

    Also I want the game to spawn NPC (bartenders, yoga instructors, ect) for the things you place down no matter the lot type. And maybe more than one you know? Are two bartenders really that crazy?
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 306 Member
    I want more genders: agender, cisgender, genderfluid, genderqueer, intersex, gender non-conforming, etc. Storytelling needs more diversity, because everything in the game is male and female and it gets boring.
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 163 Member
    I've mentioned in another discussion:
    I want a minimal education update where sims aged young adult through elder can use a computer or phone to sign up for "college" courses (that would either teach a skill, or be career related). The sims would remain living at home, commute to class, and return. They could take classes in addition to having a part time (or possibly full time) job. After they finish the courses, they get a boost in their salary, or new skills, or able to start a career at level 3.

    This is slightly similar to the Sims 3 concept of taking a painting/charisma/cooking, etc., classes by traveling community rabbit holes.

    It's a very simple take on adding University to the game, but this could be in addition to a GP/EP that explores the college life a bit deeper.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 110 Member
    Akil wrote: »
    Also I want the game to spawn NPC (bartenders, yoga instructors, ect) for the things you place down no matter the lot type. And maybe more than one you know? Are two bartenders really that crazy?

    Oh my god, yes. It drives me up a wall that I can plop a food stall down on a community lot, but it won't ever be manned by someone unless my sim personally hires them. Why can't someone automatically show up to sell hot dogs at this park?!? They will where the devs put the food stalls, but not where I do?
    6MHlTGt.png

    This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 117 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    This is so massive a mechanical change that I feel like it would never come in an update, and would instead need to be, well, a whole new game (in Sims 5, if that ever happens?) but it definitely should be a base game level change:

    Non-mutual relationship bars.

    Currently sims generally agree with each other about how much they like one another, and so much interaction is lost based on that. You can't within gameplay have an unrequited love, or that oblivious guy who doesn't realize everyone hates him, or uneven parent/child dynamics (rebellious kids who hate their loving parents, loving kids whose neglectful parents have no opinion on them). If your sim hates someone, that someone hates them back. If they love someone, that someone loves them back. Two sims are never getting two different interpretations of their relationship, which is wild because I find most of dating and befriending and life to be navigating that confusing "are we on the same page?" space.

    Relationship levels should be potentially one-sided. With sims able to do things that might increase or decrease the relationship one-way. Like if your sim farts at the dinner table, the people present might get a lower relationship with that sim, but that sim doesn't lose any relationship towards them. If someone sees your sim playing the guitar like a master, that might make them like that sim a little bit (especially if the sim loves music).

    (Fame sort of works on this level, except fame is also universal where it shouldn't be. A sim is either universally famous or universally not. There's no "this sim is famous to art lovers only" or "this sim is famous among teenagers". And so while fame can create an imbalanced feeling of relationship, it's still really impersonal and not individualized.)

    IDK. For as long as I have been playing out unrequited love stories in my game in my head, it's a bummer we can't have like...actual unrequited love. I'd love to see it added.


    ETA: So apparently this already happens. I just never encounter it. So I'd like to amend this to say, non-mutual relationships should be able to occur more naturally and regularly in the game, and there should be more gameplay mechanics that come from it.

    I've been noticng more and more "features" that just never appear in anyone's gameplay so I agree an update that makes these dynamics more front and center would be great! I have yet to see any unrequited crushes but would love them for story telling purposes.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top