Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

holy bills!

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    GwastenMicaGwastenMica Posts: 76 Member
    I wonder if the size of the room where the thermostat is placed is having an effect. My sim's bill did not rise to an unexpected level but it is a smaller one-story home and the general living space is less than 1/2 the sq. ft. of the whole house.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I wonder if the size of the room where the thermostat is placed is having an effect. My sim's bill did not rise to an unexpected level but it is a smaller one-story home and the general living space is less than 1/2 the sq. ft. of the whole house.

I bet you're onto something. It would make sense that a smaller house would be easier to heat or keep cool.
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    According to the coding, the thermostat is supposed to increase bills by 25% or decrease them by 25% depending on which setting you use. Maybe the large bills are a bug or maybe something else is going on, such as having a garden with a lot of harvestables on the plants or in inventories, since that adds to the value of the house and therefore bills.
  • Options
    mollymegan30mollymegan30 Posts: 84 Member
    I always loved the challenge of high bills, but wowza - §26.000 is quite a lot. Is it a huge mansion or a smaller home?

its the size of a farm house
  • Options
    RassRass Posts: 29 Member
    I´ve made a test today after my family had a bill over 90.000, before it was 9.600. One week without thermostat in winter and the bill was back to normal. As said above the thermostat increases bills by 25% on warm, but what I miss is the time factor. There must be a difference if the thermostat is all day on or only 1 hour per day, how is this calculated?
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    You only need to turn the thermostat on when it's COLD or HOT or worse, not WARM or COOL.

Which means that it isn't a thermostat.
    A thermostat you set at the temperature you want, and if it is cooler or warmer than that it compensates. Which also means that you never should have to set it for "hot or cold" to "compensate" for outdoor temperatures.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    AmaBlackwoodAmaBlackwood Posts: 7 New Member
    > @mollymegan30 said:
    > I got my first bills and I started seasons on my game in late fall I turned on my thermostat to warmer costs more and my bill was $26,000!! haha (note to self set therm at cooler cost less!!)

Holy smokes! :D
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    You only need to turn the thermostat on when it's COLD or HOT or worse, not WARM or COOL.

A thermostat you set at the temperature you want, and if it is cooler or warmer than that it compensates. Which also means that you never should have to set it for "hot or cold" to "compensate" for outdoor temperatures.

But in Sims logic, it doesn't work like that at all.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    The most surreal thing in this thread is people considering 10k bills a completely normal thing to aspire to go back to.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    The most surreal thing in this thread is people considering 10k bills a completely normal thing to aspire to go back to.

That in itself is already outrageous.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    happyopi wrote: »

If you follow the method Maxis is calculating the bills, than 9.600 for my 278.000 household is right. That doesn´t mean that I find it "normal". But 90k bills for this household is a bug, and that is what´s not normal and I don´t like ;)
  • Options

But you only set it on when you feel cold or warm in your house!?

The whole thermostat is wired, first point is, we didn´t know what temperature is inside the houses. We know it, when the Sims will tell it us.
    Accepted Maxis said "the temp is the same everywhere, outside and inside". Therefor we didn´t know an exact degree, than you only have the option colder or warmer. That´s the way I understand it.