Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was Multitasking worth the loading screens?

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No - I dislike loading screens and was happy without Multitasking
    rune1973 wrote: »
    with multitasking do you mean like controlling 2 family's at one time or when you arnt controlling 1 it looks after itself and you can see another member of one of you other family's walking by your house in the streat.
    No, that’s rotational play ;) Multitasking means you give your sim two instructions and they start doing them in turns automatically.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    with multitasking do you mean like controlling 2 family's at one time or when you arnt controlling 1 it looks after itself and you can see another member of one of you other family's walking by your house in the streat.

Neither.
    Multitasking is when someone is doing two actions at the same time (ie eating and talking to a friend or playing the computer and drinking coffee etc.) It's a term frequently used out of games irl and doesn't correlate specifically to the game. Like swimming, Sims can swim in game but swimming it's self isn't specific to the game.

A sim taking care of itself when not being played is autonomy.
    You can't control two families at the same time but alternating between different families is often called rotational play.
    Sims walking down the street are just random NPCS the game picked at that moment to fill the world.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

Your sims being able to do two or more things at once like drinking while reading a book or mixing a drink while having a conversation or talking while holding a baby.

Although some people question if it's really multitasking if some of what falls under "multitasking" for TS4 is just your sim pausing one task to do another then pausing in that task to continue doing the first one and repeating the back and forth until both tasks are done.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I’m indifferent. I don’t see the pros or cons of either.
    Multitasking in the Sims 4 is about your sims doing different things at the same time. So it is mainly about the sims chatting or watching TV too while you have told them to eat or cook.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited May 2018
    Lol all of us are so eager to help out :D:D ^^
    None of us remembered to tag though :)
    @rune1973 any of those posts above got you covered for multitasking.
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Yes - Loading sceeens aren’t long and I love Multitasking
    Didn't realize multitasking had anything to do with loading screens. But what I will say is that with a decent laptop, like mine, I don't have long loading screens. They are a few short seconds with all of the packs installed. With a decent computer, it wouldn't be bothersome at all.Theres not a whole lot that I like about sims 3 so I have not much to say on that front. and sims 4 definitely has the best multitasking
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Yes - Loading sceeens aren’t long and I love Multitasking
    Multi tasking is awesome, it just seems to create a LOT of lag in my game. All those Sims eating/doing homework at the table at the same time (and talking) always seems to freeze my game too.
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    edited May 2018
    I mean, I would be happy with just the neighborhoods being open world (the whole world doesn't have to be open world because I have to admit that it could become quite laggy) but you know, so you could visit your neighbors or go to a cafe if it is in the same neighborhood as your sim's house. (and just so no-one gets confused by neighborhood I don't mean like Newcrest or Oasis Springs but the small parts of those worlds with residential area and community lots)

I rarely ever leave my sims' home lot because the loading screens just take the fun away when you have to wait for like 5 minutes for the next lot to open...
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited May 2018
    I liked open world. And not sure about multitasking? We had that in Sims3 and they actually minded you. The toddlers stayed in the chair till you got them out. They didn't get down themselves and the sims didn't ignore you 100% to get them out. Sims in S4 cancel you out at times and I hate that. I have it to where the sims don't have control and they still cancel me out once in a while. I do like the come here options. Not really sure that multitasking is better in S4. I multitasked an 8 person family from anywhere in that world at all times in Sims3 and you can't do that with two sims in S4. They can loosely build skill or something, but you can't give them specific tasks. You can multitask in the house, but that doesn't mean they will do it in S4. I don't really see any gains in that direction in S4. I can see where they do some things at the same time, but not sure it does anything for me. The only thing is if my sim is eating breakfast before work and I want them to look at a picture to get a certain emotion. Not sure if any of the rest of it is a help.
    The thing that bugs me most, which isn't addressed in this poll, is how long my Sims will just stand doing absolutely nothing. I'm not talking about another Sim is on the way to interact with them. They have things in their queue, yet they just stand there as if I have all day long to wait for them to move!

Has anyone said they are working on this? Just played yesterday and wondered if my sim was ever going to move. Say what a person will about S3, but the sims moved and they obeyed. These sims stand around, cancel your commands out sometimes and the run action isn't even in S4. I had my sims run a bunch in S3 to save time. It is horrible waiting for them to waddle everywhere.
  • Options
    rune1973rune1973 Posts: 15 New Member
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > rune1973 wrote: »
    >
    > with multitasking do you mean like controlling 2 family's at one time or when you arnt controlling 1 it looks after itself and you can see another member of one of you other family's walking by your house in the streat.
    >
    >
    >
    > No, that’s rotational play ;) Multitasking means you give your sim two instructions and they start doing them in turns automatically.

> @BeJaWa said:
    >
    > with multitasking do you mean like controlling 2 family's at one time or when you arnt controlling 1 it looks after itself and you can see another member of one of you other family's walking by your house in the streat.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Neither.
    > Multitasking is when someone is doing two actions at the same time (ie eating and talking to a friend or playing the computer and drinking coffee etc.) It's a term frequently used out of games irl and doesn't correlate specifically to the game. Like swimming, Sims can swim in game but swimming it's self isn't specific to the game.
    >
    > A sim taking care of itself when not being played is autonomy.
    > You can't control two families at the same time but alternating between different families is often called rotational play.
    > Sims walking down the street are just random NPCS the game picked at that moment to fill the world.

> @ApparentlyAwesome said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Your sims being able to do two or more things at once like drinking while reading a book or mixing a drink while having a conversation or talking while holding a baby.
    >
    > Although some people question if it's really multitasking if some of what falls under "multitasking" for TS4 is just your sim pausing one task to do another then pausing in that task to continue doing the first one and repeating the back and forth until both tasks are done.

> @Erpe said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Multitasking in the Sims 4 is about your sims doing different things at the same time. So it is mainly about the sims chatting or watching TV too while you have told them to eat or cook.

thanks for the info i am not really good at these things lol never have been but thanks for the info.
  • Options
    JassAkgunJassAkgun Posts: 29 Member
    Generally I have 6 to 8 sims in one household. They all have different tasks to do such as gardening, doing homework or gaining a skill for their job. I can't take the risk to go another place and leave all the others behind by just clicking "Care for Self" because they don't. Seeing all those yellow-red moodlets get on my nerves. I do want to explore new places that comes with new packs but I can't because if I do so, then my younger sim will fail at school for not doing the homework.
    Yes, watching TV while eating pancake is an amazing thing to do but I could do without that. It bothers me to stuck at one home 7/24.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited May 2018
    JassAkgun wrote: »
    Generally I have 6 to 8 sims in one household. They all have different tasks to do such as gardening, doing homework or gaining a skill for their job. I can't take the risk to go another place and leave all the others behind by just clicking "Care for Self" because they don't. Seeing all those yellow-red moodlets get on my nerves. I do want to explore new places that comes with new packs but I can't because if I do so, then my younger sim will fail at school for not doing the homework.
    Yes, watching TV while eating pancake is an amazing thing to do but I could do without that. It bothers me to stuck at one home 7/24.

@JassAkgun I have the same problem. I want to send my sims places, but there are things that need to get done on the home lot. Especially homework and building skills. Sometimes I try to send my sims to the common area around the house, but it usually is not good enough.

To answer OP's question. I am kind of neutral. I do love the multitasking, but it is annoying that we are confined to one lot at a time. Perhaps for future games, there can be semi-open worlds where you have districts of about 6-10 lots and you can do whatever you want within those lots. I remember Sims 3 for console had something similar to this idea. You can easily switch which district you are visiting. I also love how we can easily bounce back and forth between worlds.

As a side note, I miss those wacky loading screens that sims 2 had. The sims pictured in those loading screens were so sassy! The spinning plumbob is blah.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    No, that’s rotational play ;)

This is probably my favorite feature in the game. It keeps the game interesting, and you still get to enjoy and interact with sims you've made in the past. Sims 3 was far more one sided with the active lot rule.
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    NOPE

By definition, it's not even really multitasking.

It pains me to agree with this, but I must. I would rather have an open-world or a semi-open world over multitasking.
    p6tqefj