Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was Multitasking worth the loading screens?

Comments

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited February 2018
    No - I dislike loading screens and was happy without Multitasking
    No. There is no excuse or reason to having loading screens in a game now a days. If you make the core game engine stable an open world can work. We can have better multitasking and open world. No excuse.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    Yes - Loading sceeens aren’t long and I love Multitasking
    I really like the multitasking, it feels more realistic to me. I find it too limiting to have a family at the dinner table, hungry and say, have low fun or social, then not be able to fulfil those needs. For example, when I have sims sitting in front of the TV chatting, it feels like a real family and I get 2 or 3 needs up at once. However, I dislike the fact that socializing can result in the tasks taking a lot longer than they should. It's almost as though they add up the time for all the tasks they're doing and just stretch it all out. If it was more efficient, it would be a lot better. Perhaps they can take the time for the longest task and just make sure it takes no longer than that. I'm sure it can be programmed in so that it ignores the other durations and only takes the longest one. Then it would be perfect. This bothers me the most with food really, since they need to eat and get out the house!

One weird place there's no multitasking, where I would really like it, is when one sim is in the bath and another is standing next to them. You can't talk to them. I get why you can't do this in the shower, I mean in real life that's noisy, but it's quite simple if say, your spouse is having a bath and you're washing your hands/brushing your teeth or whatever, for you to have a conversation with them.

Slightly related, is how long it takes sims to complete certain tasks. For example, when you count in sim minutes how long it takes to wash their hands, it's completely unreasonable in real-life. I wish some of the times would be tweaked for some tasks, but I might start a thread for that and the emotion system, because I think it could work really well, it's just a matter of the values assigned to them being fixed.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited February 2018
    Compare Loading Screen to Multitask isn't balanced, they don't affect the game the same way in the same proportions.
    Why do not ask CAW and Multitask or Open World and Multitask or CASt and Multitask too ?

In these cases Multitask will always loose, so the question is subjective.

Multitask is a minor feature almost invisible when you play, you don't stop to play in order to say "OMG, it's multitask !!!" each time it happens.
    Loading Screen gets a major effect because it forces you to take a pause, it's possible you become angry and say "I hate loading screen".
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I really like multitasking. It saves a lot of time to work on your social or fun aspect while eating, for example.

That being said, there's so much lag and random Sim freezing in my game right now, it kinda defeats the purpose. But I don't mind the loading screens... but of course I'm not one who likes taking my Sims everywhere either.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited February 2018
    Compare Loading Screen to Multitask isn't balanced, they don't affect the game the same way in the same proportions.
    Why do not ask CAW and Multitask or Open World and Multitask or CASt and Multitask too ?

Multitask is a minor feature almost invisible when you play, you don't stop to play in order to say "OMG, it's multitask !!!" each time it happens.
    Loading Screen gets a major effect because it forces you to take a pause, it's possible you become angry and say "I hate loading screen".

Boy are you tripping?

Multitasking was indeed invisible on TS2 and especially TS3 but never on TS4 when there's a big specific rectangle UI for it right besides the sim image. I didn't even notice sims on TS3 could chat on the phone while holding babies up until this thread. I never noticed sims in TS3 could have three sometimes even four sim conversations until TS4 came out with it's very specific social UI where multiple sims appear.

Multitasking/smarter sims was the most advertised thing on TS4 next to emotions and weirder stories.

In TS4 my sim is sometimes alone next to his house and a random sim appears in the social UI and to my surprise this sim is four blocks away in the edge of the map, my sim will stare at nothingness waiting for this random to come to him and say whatever, it makes no sense. I wish they would fix this and sims getting into other sim conversations.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Boy are you tripping?

Multitasking was indeed invisible on TS2 and especially TS3 but never on TS4 when there's a big specific rectangle UI for it right besides the sim image. I didn't even notice sims on TS3 could chat on the phone while holding babies up until this thread. I never noticed sims in TS3 could have three sometimes even four sim conversations until TS4 came out with it's very specific social UI where multiple sims appear.

Multitasking/smarter sims was the most advertised thing on TS4 next to emotions and weirder stories.

In TS4 my sim is sometimes alone next to his house and a random sim appears in the social UI and to my surprise this sim is four blocks away in the edge of the map, my sim will stare at nothingness waiting for this random to come to him and say whatever, it makes no sense.
    Yes, multitasking (“multitasking”) in fact annoys me more than loading screens do. Loading screens are there, you know they are, you’re prepared, you just accept you have to wait through them. Multitasking happens at inconvenient moments. Taking their food outside and eat it in front of the mailbox for example because you said “sit down and have dinner, then get the mail for me please”. Or when you tell your son to start doing his homework and mom spontaneously sits down to have a chat with him. Let him do his homework lady, what kind of mother are you! Don’t you know that he isn’t multitasking, that he actually stops doing his homework while you talk?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Makes me seriously question what is the REAL reason our Sims in 4 still go without things like lounge chairs by the pool and swings on our sim kids playgrounds - or even slow dancing and bed cuddles... or toggles and options for that fact.

Well rayhrr this was ever meany to be olumpus.There is unuse code for sn online feature. So this was originally mrant to be an online game. I reslly do think the reason we have less things. Because this game was never meant to be a sequel it was meant to be an online versipn of the sims
    edited February 2018
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    In TS4 my sim is sometimes alone next to his house and a random sim appears in the social UI and to my surprise this sim is four blocks away in the edge of the map, my sim will stare at nothingness waiting for this random to come to him and say whatever, it makes no sense.

It's not "Multitask", it's Smart Sim feature :p .

When I said "Multitask is a minor feature", I mean its effect is minor on the game like the Emotion system.
    TS2 genealogy, TS3 Open world and Create-A-Style were major features, a big evolution.

I see no difference between TS2/TS3 and TS4 when my sims sleep, cook, pee, do jogging, take a shower, go to work, do workout (pushups), swim laps, climb a wall, play basketball, play bowling, play to void critter, ...

The majority of the interactions are not multitask or fake multitask (alternating tasks).

I see multitask only when they eat+watch TV+talk, dance+listen to music+talk or drink+talk

Note: "Multitask" means "to perform two or more tasks simultaneously"
    edited February 2018
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Taking their food outside and eat it in front of the mailbox for example because you said “sit down and have dinner, then get the mail for me please”. Or when you tell your son to start doing his homework and mom spontaneously sits down to have a chat with him. Let him do his homework lady, what kind of mother are you! Don’t you know that he isn’t multitasking, that he actually stops doing his homework while you talk?

It's not Multitask the problem, just the sims are not enough smart to balance their behavior. Multitask doesn't help.
    You can still turn off the "Free will", Multitask will no longer annoy you.

With or without multitask, the sims will keep on doing unexpected thing, I know that issue since The Sims 2.

The Sims really need a new AI.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »

It's not "Multitask", it's Smart Sim feature :p .

When I said "Multitask is a minor feature", I mean its effect is minor on the game like the Emotion system.
    TS2 genealogy, TS3 Open world and Create-A-Style were major features, a big evolution.

I see no difference between TS2/TS3 and TS4 when my sims sleep, cook, pee, do jogging, take a shower, go to work, do workout (pushups), swim laps, climb a wall, play basketball, play bowling, play to void critter, ...

The majority of the interactions are not multitask or fake multitask (alternating tasks).

I see multitask only when they eat+watch TV+talk, dance+listen to music+talk or drink+talk

Note: "Multitask" means "to perform two or more tasks simultaneously"

Oh I see :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Taking their food outside and eat it in front of the mailbox for example because you said “sit down and have dinner, then get the mail for me please”. Or when you tell your son to start doing his homework and mom spontaneously sits down to have a chat with him. Let him do his homework lady, what kind of mother are you! Don’t you know that he isn’t multitasking, that he actually stops doing his homework while you talk?

It's not Multitask the problem, just the sims are not enough smart to balance their behavior. Multitask doesn't help.
    You can still turn off the "Free will", Multitask will no longer annoy you.

With or without multitask, the sims will keep on doing unexpected thing, I know that issue since The Sims 2.

The Sims really need a new AI.
    You mean you can disable multitasking? It’s not about doing unexpected things, I like it when they do unexpected things (which is why I like playing with free will on). It’s about their inclination to combine two instructions automatically.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I’m indifferent. I don’t see the pros or cons of either.
    I guess it won’t surprise anyone that I voted indifferent, as loading screens and multitasking have nothing to do with building. After reading all of the responses in this thread, it makes me glad that I spend very little time in Live mode. I can do without the frustration. I’m frustrated enough with the lack of building tools!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I voted for the first option, with a caveat. It's not that I dislike multi-tasking, exactly. We already had multi-tasking in the series. I just preferred the type of multi-tasking that was less disruptive to the rest of the game play.

Multi-tasking should be effortless and natural. When it happens, it should be so...subtle...as to go unnoticed. That's how it was in TS2 and TS3.

TS4's design has let multi-tasking take over to the detriment of most everything else. That is what I'm against. It's not natural or seamless. It's stilted and restricting. Because of multi-tasking, our Sims can't even do something as simple as lounging in a chair. So, for me, it wasn't worth it to have to endure loading screens on top of everything else.

It doesn't even matter how short the loading screens are. It's the fact that the loading screens prevent me from controlling multiple Sims, simultaneously, in the way that I had become accustomed to. Loading screens are a break in immersion and a wall between myself and my Sims.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I really like multitasking. It saves a lot of time to work on your social or fun aspect while eating, for example.

That being said, there's so much lag and random Sim freezing in my game right now, it kinda defeats the purpose. But I don't mind the loading screens... but of course I'm not one who likes taking my Sims everywhere either.

This is where you and I differ. It's never been about the 'time' in the game to me. It's been about the journey. So, when these Sims fill fun while telling a joke, it hurts my plans to take them out to a place so they can have 'fun'. It plays the game for me...and that hinders why they were going out in the first place. Might as well just stay home and keep skilling as I have said so many times before. Sometimes, when a player queues up what they want their Sim to do that is exactly what they wanted them to do, and nothing else. So they can take them out later and fill their fun and social but if all that is full already, no point in going.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    Honestly the multitasking is great! I love it! But was it worth the loading screens. Yes and no, for me.
    Like IF they would JUST open the spaces a bit more... or a "neighborhood" a bit more (not a world), but at the least! a neighborhood, that would make the loading screens not as awful.

I feel that if my Sim lives around a bunch of stores, or houses, etc.. those houses and stores should be freely accessible. No loading screen. But let's say I wanted to go to the Pier, or to the Lighthouse, or the what's the place called with the "pond like" area where you can swim? Brain is drawing a blank. Anyways! you get what I mean.

Those places should have loading screens for the simple fact that there is no animations/boats, etc to get to them.
    Between worlds should have a loading screen
    Between houses and venues that are REALLY far apart, should have loading screens.
    But the spaces shouldn't - so if I wanted to visit a neighbors house, I could without loading, or a venue, without loading.. I should be able to and also be able to still maintain what's going on over at my Sims house (especially when I have like 6 Sims at home...that I want to be able to still control/to be able to have them doing specific things where I can still see what they're doing), etc.

I still have my fingers crossed that this some day happens.. because we could use a little bit better openness...even if it's not full open world, at least something. :( While toddlers have finally filled some of the family play emptiness I was feeling before, loading screens are still something that cause me to be somewhat disconnected from my Sims.
  • RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    I don't know, I like multitasking but I really wish it's more fleshed out iirc the older installments had some minor multitasking

As for loading screens I don't get much loading screens only on first boot up sometimes
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    I don't mind loading screens (I love The Sims 2), but multitasking in this is so clunky and poorly implemented that I don't think the tradeoff was worth it... TS2's multitasking was so invisible that people didn't even notice it was there, the same can be said of TS3 (although multitasking was more limited); Multitasking in TS4 is non-existent, they don't multitask they task swap... Switching between doing each thing in turn instead of doing multiple simultaneously.
    raw
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I like the multitasking as it does feel more realistic and I do enjoy them being able to chat away whilst doing other things. My only real gripe with the multitasking is the amount of time sims waste.

For example eating takes forever already, but if the sims are distracted my conversation it takes even longer. I love the idea of multitasking and I don't want it to be taken out. I think if the time things take was decreased i'd love the multitasking even more.
  • LudditeBorgLudditeBorg Posts: 45 Member
    Earlier in the thread, someone said their loading screens were five seconds. I haven't timed them on my MacBook, but sometimes they are definitely more than a minute. For example, I read most of the responses on page one of this thread while waiting for my Sim to travel from the Spice Festival to home. I make many decisions in the game based on not wanting to wait through loading screens. I stay on one lot for as long as possible, unless I really need something somewhere else. I would give up multitasking to be able to go more places without a loading screen.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited February 2018
    I actually don't really care about the loading, yes less are better but they aren't the be all and end all for me.

However, I genuinely loath the multitasking in this game. I wouldn't care about any other swap or change to the game, I never want to see multitasking like this again. It interrupts everything and it's clunky slowing my game down. For a selling feature it is one of the leading issues I have with ts4.

This isn't about a swap for me, it's about not having this plum system.
    Post edited by Shadowmarked on
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    I actually don't really care about the loading, yes less are better but they aren't the be all and end all for me.

However, I genuinely loath the multitasking in this game. I wouldn't care about any other swap or change to the game, I never want to see multitasking like this again. It interrupts everything and it's clunky slowing my game down. For a selling feature it is one of the leading issues I have with ts4.

This isn't about a swap for me, it's about not having this plum system.

Exactly. I'd rather have no multitasking like this at all with the loading screens! I do like open world though.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • KarliaKarlia Posts: 310 Member
    One has nothing to do with the other. It wasn't either multitasking or no loading screens. Both could've been implemented. I like the loading screens, the open world caused the computer to have to render a lot more and my loading screens are merely seconds that would, in an open world, be spent rendering all the objects.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I didn't mind the loading screens in TS2. I suppose because, at that time, all games had them. I had no idea what an open world felt like and the absolute freedom that it provided. However, I also probably didn't mind TS2 loading screens because I knew that I wasn't losing any time with the rest of the household that was left at home while I took another one to a different lot.

In TS2, time on the home lot froze until the away-Sim returned. It was a bit clunky and the away-Sim often had the Sim equivalent of jet lag. Still, for me, it was a better solution than to lose perhaps an entire day or more out of the lives of the Sims that were left behind.

Fifteen years ago, I never thought that I'd say that I prefer the time paradoxes, but I do. Open world is my favorite. Barring that, I prefer the solution that doesn't cause me to lose time with the other Sims.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    I wish I could change my vote, I've been playing The Sims 3 this weekend and realised that Open Worlds aren't really that important to me (and I actually prefer how Sims 4 has loading screens), and I cannot live without multitasking now!
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I might make a video, If not someone else that compares TS1&TS2&TS3&TS4 multitasking If multitasking is really what it is as a big deal shown in this new series.
    NNpYlHF.jpg