Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What else will we get in Sims 4?

Sims 4 is approaching it's 4th year. Sims 2 and 3 were finishing up and getting ready for the next version at this stage of the game.

So, what's left?

Is Sims 4 going into a 5th year? Will we get any new versions of Seasons? Showtime? Supernatural?

Anything completely new, like Into the Future and Island Paradise? Maybe Into the Past?

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I'm hoping for cars and photobooths.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    TS5 hasn't been announced much less leaked so I think it'll go to at least 2019.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Some people have a theory that Sims 5 could come out in 2020 in time for The Sims's 20th anniversary, but that's just conjecture.

They did say, however, that Sims 4 is going to last a while longer. I guess it's that live service thing they've been doing where they update the game to keep it fresh. Since we already got cats and dogs (a staple feature in the series), I think they're not yet giving up on TS4, and might bring back other staples.

And maybe they'll also come up with novel DLC to keep things fresh. I'm sure there are other aspects of life they haven't touched upon. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Still a lot is missing in this game,swings,photobooths, in bed animations,lounge chairs,pools are still missing items,cars,playing catch,swimmable oceans and more.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Here's the problems as I see it:

-Regardless of what the Sims team says, eventually funding is cut as sales start to drop off. It is a common trend in the gaming industry that sales for expansions and DLCs start to drop off the longer a franchise is out. Likewise, I think we've all experienced firsthand that Sims games start to get bogged down more and more as they add more packs. I also feel that it is entirely possible that the Sims team themselves have wishful thinking of the game continuing longer, precisely because EA hasn't made their next plans for the team known yet and that scares them. Point is, this game is not immortal, and I would bet Sims 2 and 3 lasted ~4 years not by coincidence, but because this is when it started to make sense to move on. Sims 4 may last longer, but when I say "longer" I do not picture 2025 or something. No, I picture it maybe seeing 2020.

-The community-developer dynamic right now seems so poor that the Sims team continues to pump out Sims 4 renditions of pre-existing pack concepts because it's all the community knows how to ask for, and EA/Maxis believes this is a safe bet saleswise since consumers repeatedly convince themselves "this'll be as good as the Sims 2/3 rendition was!" I think it is painfully obvious that Sims 4, for whatever reason, cannot produce content on the same scale as Sims 2 or Sims 3. Whether it be time restraints, budgeting issues, too small of a staff or what-have-you, it doesn't matter. The community insists on the old classics returning and the Sims team obliges. This however constantly results in disappointment, regardless of what they give us. The only concept that has actually improved in this rendition is Vampires. Everything else thusfar has been - at best - a sidegrade, with the majority being downgrades.

-We are 3 years and 4 months in (starting February) and despite shattering the Stuff Pack record in record time, there is no sign of an end to the stuff pack spam. I think they've only skipped releasing a stuff pack on two occassions, and otherwise they pop out like clockwork every three months. Stuff packs do not add gameplay features, and yet the stuff packs produced outnumber the expansion packs and game packs COMBINED. This shows that their priority is not in gameplay and never has been. Their focus is on producing content as cheaply as possible for as much profit as possible. Stuff packs are cheap by design and secure sales with their deceptively low pricetag ("it's just $10," said the consumer that spent $130 on stuff packs) Those who are still unsatisfied probably never will be.

-Game packs have the best record and still have produced mixed results. Vampires and Parenthood are probably the only two packs held in high regard, but Outdoor Retreat has poor reception and I've said before I view Spa Day as a glorified stuff pack. Dine Out suffers the exact same bugs of every feature related to the retail system. The upcoming Adventure Pack for example seems to show both elements of a hit and a miss: the Adventure concept itself is a welcomed gameplay-orientated one, but the trailer for example showed some rather concerning bits suggesting adventures wouldn't be taken seriously, as is tradition with Sims 4. Point is that even their best pack concept has a mixed record, so it's not as though any of the packs released are reliable for quality.

-As stated above, their budget or staffing must be poor. I consider the best evidence of this being Cats and Dogs and the claims against the vet career. Get To Work released and people complained that employees in stores do absolutely nothing and that the simulation of running a shop simply doesn't work because of this. Fast forward to Cats and Dogs, they repackage and re-release the exact same faulty system and lo and behold, people are complaining their hired workers do absolutely nothing. This same system had already failed and proved buggy not once, but twice. (Dine Out) Despite this, they re-released it. It's not just that system either; the entire career layout heavily copied that of the doctor career, whereas the treat maker even recycled the animations of the scientist career's chem set. Others have pointed out this is the first time that a washer and dryer have been virtually identical to each other too. To me, this screams that either they lack the staff neccesary, they lack the funding neccesary, or it's their goal to cut as many corners as possible so they willingly leave such errors or cheap hotfixes in, despite consumer dissatisfaction.

-The price of the game has increased in various countries. The price increase is specific to the Sims 4 and there's absolutely zero correlation amongst the countries that saw an increase. No pattern in currency value or exchange rates, no pattern in politics or policy, and presumably it's not an issue of taxes or legislature towards video games since EA only hiked up the price for this game specifically and not for all of their products. I am left to conclude they simply want more money and felt they are capable of getting more money from this community. To see them thinking about money and profit despite the above points regarding how cheaply made their newest expansion is, I have my sincere doubts we will see a sudden change in the production value of future packs or that they will suddenly improve the budget/staffing for this game.

In short, I see no reason to believe that Sims 4 has much remaining for it, or that anyone should be holding out hope for it's future. Pets was cheaply made, Seasons will be cheaply made too. People warned about the Vet clinic probably being buggy because it copy-pasted a buggy system, and lo and behold it was. (I owe yet another I-told-you-so for this) If you've spent 3 years and 4 months looking to the future to give you hope...? It's time to give up hope and face reality.

Nothing about the recent activity of the company suggests they're on a crusade to improve quality, improve release rate, change their focus of what kind of content they release, or anything like that. Infact, some moves even suggest the complete opposite. We can safely expect more of the same.

I personally predict we will probably see Seasons release this year, maybe a University-type expansion next year since it's another highly suggested EP, and then after that I think the game will slowly come to an end while EA looks for ways to turn Sims into a mobile game or some other cash cow that allows them to monetize as much as possible. (yknow, a successful one instead of the constant failures they've had....not that they'll ever succeed. All a pipedream on their end) I actually find that the release date of Sims mobile should serve as an ominous warning that this game will meet it's end. What better way to sell their new mobile game than to put an end to all other Sims alternatives...?

The Sims team likely insists this game will go on and on both because it's good for sales, and perhaps (speculation here) because they themselves understand the future beyond Sims 4 looks bleak, and that's scurry because it means post-Sims is a world where they could wind up in any number of positions at the company that they may or may not like. Perhaps not bad for them, but change tends to be uncomfortable and unwelcome, so I could see it being unwanted for them too.

tl;dr This game is pretty much already dead to me (don't see myself purchasing further content save maybe for a Witch GP), and I'm pretty sure it's stayed afloat this long by sailing on a sea of denial.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    There’s plenty of things they could make for Sims 4. With how slow everything is to release, and with how little gets released at a time I predict there will be things that won’t make it into the game. I give the game another 2-3 years. Which would give them enough time for ~ 3 Expansions, ~ 4-6 Game Packs, and too many stuff packs.
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    I think there are a few game or expansion packs left for the game, but I'm not sure how many we will see. They are putting out expansion/game packs at very cautious pace. And it looks like EA wants to streamline the old expansions from 2/3. Outdoor Retreat is the pared down version of Bon Voyage, the new adventure pack is the simple version of World Adventures, Vampires is the reduced Supernatural. While I understand the sales/labor hour aspect of the business, I'm not super happy with the prospect of Sims4 becoming the bottled water of video games.

@DeservedCriticism

I'm a little more hopeful than that, but I do realize that Sims4 will never be able to sustain the complexity of Sims3 or Sims2. It just isn't designed that way. And not only can EA track the drop off in sales of the expansion/game packs, but they are also probably watching the drop off in hours of gameplay, both total and of individual packs. That is what will probably spur development of Sims5.
  • Options
    beladanibeladani Posts: 61 Member
    I think there are some major expansions missing, so I can imagine Sims 4 to last 3-4 more years.
    pncFLnjBj
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I really hope we'll see an Expansion on Theme Parks something Maxis hasn't focused on. TS3 Store had 3 carnival rides and even the carnival themed boardwalk. They even had circus tents,popcorn and cotton candy and games like whack a chicken and whack a mole.

TS3 Store only had this stuff thanks to Alan Copeland then SimGuruCopeland.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited January 2018
    Here are the packs I'd like to see at some point before S4 ends. I probably will not get S5 (if there is one).

EPs
    1. Farm pack
    2. Education pack
    3. Beach world pack
    4. Space Station pack
    5. Entertainment/Hollywood pack
    6. Theme Park/Carnival pack

GPs
    2. Magic pack
    3. Werewolves pack
    4. Alpine vacation pack
    5. Dude Ranch/Desert vacation pack
    6. RV/Travel vacation pack
    7. Bed & Breakfast pack

SPs
    1. Tattoo parlor pack
    2. Hair Salon pack
    3. Crafting pack
    4. Nectar pack
    5. Small Pets pack
    6. Doc In A Box/Clinic pack
    7. Cars as objects

These are just off the top of my head. If I think of any more, I'll add them.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    There’s plenty of things they could make for Sims 4. With how slow everything is to release, and with how little gets released at a time I predict there will be things that won’t make it into the game. I give the game another 2-3 years. Which would give them enough time for ~ 3 Expansions, ~ 4-6 Game Packs, and too many stuff packs.

It should never be a question of what could they do, but rather what will they likely do.
    "Could" is just going to leave to disappointment.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    When I started a thread about what people would like in sims5, they deleted it. All I wanted to do is get ideas of what the people wanted so we didn't end up with another sims4 disaster.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2018

It should never be a question of what could they do, but rather what will they likely do.
    "Could" is just going to leave to disappointment.

Indeed. Could is out of the question, because a triple AAA company can do pretty much anything because that's what they're are. People should really ask sincerely If they may do something, which often gets a predictable NO response.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    GelysenGelysen Posts: 214 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Here are the packs I'd like to see at some point before S4 ends. I probably will not get S5 (if there is one).

EPs
    1. Farm pack
    2. Education pack
    3. Beach world pack
    4. Space Station pack
    5. Entertainment/Hollywood pack
    6. Theme Park/Carnival pack

GPs
    2. Magic pack
    3. Werewolves pack
    4. Alpine vacation pack
    5. Dude Ranch/Desert vacation pack
    6. RV/Travel vacation pack
    7. Bed & Breakfast pack

SPs
    1. Tattoo parlor pack
    2. Hair Salon pack
    3. Crafting pack
    4. Nectar pack
    5. Small Pets pack
    6. Doc In A Box/Clinic pack
    7. Cars as objects

These are just off the top of my head. If I think of any more, I'll add them.

I'd get all of these x'D
    My sims 4 wishlist:
    -Spiral, L&U shaped stairs-More hair colors-Alternative fashion(Goth,Punk,lolita)-More rabbit hole careers-Witches,Plantsims,Werewolves.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Here's the problems as I see it:

-Regardless of what the Sims team says, eventually funding is cut as sales start to drop off. It is a common trend in the gaming industry that sales for expansions and DLCs start to drop off the longer a franchise is out. Likewise, I think we've all experienced firsthand that Sims games start to get bogged down more and more as they add more packs. I also feel that it is entirely possible that the Sims team themselves have wishful thinking of the game continuing longer, precisely because EA hasn't made their next plans for the team known yet and that scares them. Point is, this game is not immortal, and I would bet Sims 2 and 3 lasted ~4 years not by coincidence, but because this is when it started to make sense to move on. Sims 4 may last longer, but when I say "longer" I do not picture 2025 or something. No, I picture it maybe seeing 2020.

-The community-developer dynamic right now seems so poor that the Sims team continues to pump out Sims 4 renditions of pre-existing pack concepts because it's all the community knows how to ask for, and EA/Maxis believes this is a safe bet saleswise since consumers repeatedly convince themselves "this'll be as good as the Sims 2/3 rendition was!" I think it is painfully obvious that Sims 4, for whatever reason, cannot produce content on the same scale as Sims 2 or Sims 3. Whether it be time restraints, budgeting issues, too small of a staff or what-have-you, it doesn't matter. The community insists on the old classics returning and the Sims team obliges. This however constantly results in disappointment, regardless of what they give us. The only concept that has actually improved in this rendition is Vampires. Everything else thusfar has been - at best - a sidegrade, with the majority being downgrades.

-We are 3 years and 4 months in (starting February) and despite shattering the Stuff Pack record in record time, there is no sign of an end to the stuff pack spam. I think they've only skipped releasing a stuff pack on two occassions, and otherwise they pop out like clockwork every three months. Stuff packs do not add gameplay features, and yet the stuff packs produced outnumber the expansion packs and game packs COMBINED. This shows that their priority is not in gameplay and never has been. Their focus is on producing content as cheaply as possible for as much profit as possible. Stuff packs are cheap by design and secure sales with their deceptively low pricetag ("it's just $10," said the consumer that spent $130 on stuff packs) Those who are still unsatisfied probably never will be.

-Game packs have the best record and still have produced mixed results. Vampires and Parenthood are probably the only two packs held in high regard, but Outdoor Retreat has poor reception and I've said before I view Spa Day as a glorified stuff pack. Dine Out suffers the exact same bugs of every feature related to the retail system. The upcoming Adventure Pack for example seems to show both elements of a hit and a miss: the Adventure concept itself is a welcomed gameplay-orientated one, but the trailer for example showed some rather concerning bits suggesting adventures wouldn't be taken seriously, as is tradition with Sims 4. Point is that even their best pack concept has a mixed record, so it's not as though any of the packs released are reliable for quality.

-As stated above, their budget or staffing must be poor. I consider the best evidence of this being Cats and Dogs and the claims against the vet career. Get To Work released and people complained that employees in stores do absolutely nothing and that the simulation of running a shop simply doesn't work because of this. Fast forward to Cats and Dogs, they repackage and re-release the exact same faulty system and lo and behold, people are complaining their hired workers do absolutely nothing. This same system had already failed and proved buggy not once, but twice. (Dine Out) Despite this, they re-released it. It's not just that system either; the entire career layout heavily copied that of the doctor career, whereas the treat maker even recycled the animations of the scientist career's chem set. Others have pointed out this is the first time that a washer and dryer have been virtually identical to each other too. To me, this screams that either they lack the staff neccesary, they lack the funding neccesary, or it's their goal to cut as many corners as possible so they willingly leave such errors or cheap hotfixes in, despite consumer dissatisfaction.

-The price of the game has increased in various countries. The price increase is specific to the Sims 4 and there's absolutely zero correlation amongst the countries that saw an increase. No pattern in currency value or exchange rates, no pattern in politics or policy, and presumably it's not an issue of taxes or legislature towards video games since EA only hiked up the price for this game specifically and not for all of their products. I am left to conclude they simply want more money and felt they are capable of getting more money from this community. To see them thinking about money and profit despite the above points regarding how cheaply made their newest expansion is, I have my sincere doubts we will see a sudden change in the production value of future packs or that they will suddenly improve the budget/staffing for this game.

In short, I see no reason to believe that Sims 4 has much remaining for it, or that anyone should be holding out hope for it's future. Pets was cheaply made, Seasons will be cheaply made too. People warned about the Vet clinic probably being buggy because it copy-pasted a buggy system, and lo and behold it was. (I owe yet another I-told-you-so for this) If you've spent 3 years and 4 months looking to the future to give you hope...? It's time to give up hope and face reality.

Nothing about the recent activity of the company suggests they're on a crusade to improve quality, improve release rate, change their focus of what kind of content they release, or anything like that. Infact, some moves even suggest the complete opposite. We can safely expect more of the same.

I personally predict we will probably see Seasons release this year, maybe a University-type expansion next year since it's another highly suggested EP, and then after that I think the game will slowly come to an end while EA looks for ways to turn Sims into a mobile game or some other cash cow that allows them to monetize as much as possible. (yknow, a successful one instead of the constant failures they've had....not that they'll ever succeed. All a pipedream on their end) I actually find that the release date of Sims mobile should serve as an ominous warning that this game will meet it's end. What better way to sell their new mobile game than to put an end to all other Sims alternatives...?

The Sims team likely insists this game will go on and on both because it's good for sales, and perhaps (speculation here) because they themselves understand the future beyond Sims 4 looks bleak, and that's scurry because it means post-Sims is a world where they could wind up in any number of positions at the company that they may or may not like. Perhaps not bad for them, but change tends to be uncomfortable and unwelcome, so I could see it being unwanted for them too.

tl;dr This game is pretty much already dead to me (don't see myself purchasing further content save maybe for a Witch GP), and I'm pretty sure it's stayed afloat this long by sailing on a sea of denial.
    You worded my darkest fears.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I get the feeling If Sims becomes a failure and a sinking ship, another company will find a way better scraps and reconstruct a new one that has many better adjustments. Those personally would be my desire than a fear. :)
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2018
    catitude5 wrote: »
    When I started a thread about what people would like in sims5, they deleted it. All I wanted to do is get ideas of what the people wanted so we didn't end up with another sims4 disaster.

This thread?: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/931680/if-we-get-sims5-what-would-you-want-it-to-be-like/p1

You probably just posted it in the wrong forum and it got moved. You can see all threads you've made on your account page under "Discussions."
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    IceyJ wrote: »

This thread?: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/931680/if-we-get-sims5-what-would-you-want-it-to-be-like/p1

You probably just posted it in the wrong forum and it got moved. You can see all threads you've made on your account page under "Discussions."
    So it’s in off topic. While it’s about the Sims game, the topic of these boards.
    (I never look in OT, for me that’s where people play games and talk about their personal lives)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

So it’s in off topic. While it’s about the Sims game, the topic of these boards.
    (I never look in OT, for me that’s where people play games and talk about their personal lives)

I never look in OT, either and I often forget it exists. However, the topic of these boards is Sims 1-4. Apparently, all talk of future games belongs in either Off Topic or Speculation: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16279014#Comment_16279014
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I never look in OT, either and I often forget it exists. However, the topic of these boards is Sims 1-4. Apparently, all talk of future games belongs in either Off Topic or Speculation: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16279014#Comment_16279014
    I suppose a section will be created once a Sims 5 is announced. Same happened with Sims 4. Speculation or Ideas would fit, but those topics say 'Sims 4'. Personally I'd like a 'Franchise' section, where people could just brainstorm about the game in general.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sindel910Sindel910 Posts: 44 Member
    Im hoping cars!
  • Options
    Ermac910 wrote: »
    Im hoping cars!

So am I.
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited January 2018
    So, how would cars work in Sims 4? Like in Sims 2? You could drive off the current lot and when the loading screen finishes your sim drives up to the front of the new lot?

Maybe have a car that can be built and sold like in Sims 2 and 3?

Cars made a lot of sense in Sims 3 with open worlds (and bikes and scooters). There certainly could be a larger variety than before. Maybe there's something completely new they can do with cars. Like an industrial design career with a branch that lets us actually design vehicles that could be used in game.
  • Options
    RetinaStormRetinaStorm Posts: 185 Member
    so much is missing from S4 that tbh i thought we'd have had some of it by now, as it is, it feels like its ran its course or they dont have a clue what to add, we,ve told them what we need or what we rly want yet we still wait... Maybe they will get it right if they brought out a S5
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    What I'll like to see
    A school day game pack new job teacher/professor and tweens.
    New Job Firefighter to help put out fires from houses or businesses.
    Cars/Vehicles come back.
    Burglars.
    Military job
    Open neighborhood because I find it weird yo have a load screen for just going across the street or the building in the apartments in San Myshuno.
    Swim in Ocean
    More Vacation lots because we really need one
    More building stuff for the house.
    More Generations stuff like teens going to prom and etc.
    More wedding and birthday because I don't know about you all but it seemed like Sims 2 and 3 celebrated more than Sims 4 does.
    Sick Sims going to the doctors like you can take sick Sims to the doctors (I really don't understand why we can't do that in gtw like why?)
    Ok Sims need a mood about being in jail like the police take our Sims to jail in gtw well they need a mood acknowledge that they were in jail.