Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim refuses to get along with one of his children??

justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
No matter what I do, their relationship keeps decaying. This sim has 5 kids, and only has a problem with one of the twins. Everyone else gets along. Whenever I leave them be for a while, I come back, and they're doing mischief/mean interactions and the conversation is unpleasant. I thought it had something to do with one of their traits, but they both have the insane trait, and neither of them have evil traits. I just dislike having to babysit my sims during a conversation. Maybe it's meant to be realistic, I don't know. Not sure how to go about fixing it...
wr7jm5.png&quot

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I've had this happen too in one of my families. It was alright though as the one she did that with was the only kid from another dad who's cheated on her. I'm sure it has nothing to do with that though, but it fit story-wise. What other traits do they have?
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I've never had them hate each other like that but I hate when my sim parents tell their kids their jokes are stupid. I'm always thinking, "Sheesh, they're like 6! Give them a break you meanie"
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    Once I came to check up on a family and saw that the dad hated all his children except one. Granted he was evil, but it was so random. I still don't know why he favored that child over the others. Maybe she kept her head down and stayed quiet (she was a loner).

He had four children (3 teens and 1 young adult; 2 boys and 2 girls)
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• Options
    StrangerthanStrangerthan Posts: 345 Member
    I hate the insane trait.

That's the one which is the problem. A sim with an insane trait will randomly insult other family members (or anyone, really), so two with the same trait are probably feeding off each other and making it worse.

I used to use the insane trait on my simself but I've had to stop because of the negativity it produces within the family. It's so annoying. I've got mental health problems and I don't insult my family members for no reason every so often. It's a shame because I like the trait otherwise...
  • Options
    @Strangerthan I'm not sure about that actually. A lot of my sims have the insane trait, especially in that legacy I mentioned earlier in this thread. In that case, the son didn't have the trait, but the mother did. As well as one of her other sons, which was basically her best friend (and the heir), and he's just nice and adorable to everyone (even though he's insane). I think it depends on what other traits you couple it with. I.e. insane + hot headed or insane + evil or insane + mischievous maybe ...? Idk, just pointing out that the trait in itself doesn't cause any inherent negativity in my families. Not that I can tell anyway.
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I've had this happen too in one of my families. It was alright though as the one she did that with was the only kid from another dad who's cheated on her. I'm sure it has nothing to do with that though, but it fit story-wise. What other traits do they have?

Dad also has music lover and creative I believe. :(
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• Options
    And the kid? :/@justdancerebecca
  • Options
    I hate the insane trait.

That's the one which is the problem. A sim with an insane trait will randomly insult other family members (or anyone, really), so two with the same trait are probably feeding off each other and making it worse.

I used to use the insane trait on my simself but I've had to stop because of the negativity it produces within the family. It's so annoying. I've got mental health problems and I don't insult my family members for no reason every so often. It's a shame because I like the trait otherwise...

I figured that might have been the problem, I just hardly ever use that trait so I wasn't;t sure
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• Options
    And the kid? :/@justdancerebecca

The kid, I can't remember. I think music lover as well. Sorry if my typing is off, I just woke up lmao
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• Options
    edited January 2017
    @Strangerthan I'm not sure about that actually. A lot of my sims have the insane trait, especially in that legacy I mentioned earlier in this thread. In that case, the son didn't have the trait, but the mother did. As well as one of her other sons, which was basically her best friend (and the heir), and he's just nice and adorable to everyone (even though he's insane). I think it depends on what other traits you couple it with. I.e. insane + hot headed or insane + evil or insane + mischievous maybe ...? Idk, just pointing out that the trait in itself doesn't cause any inherent negativity in my families. Not that I can tell anyway.

That's interesting. I've had problems with hot-headed and evil for obvious reasons, but not insane. I'll double-check the child's second trait, hang on
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Haha no worries :) Hmm .. the kid isn't a snob or squeamish or anything? Do any of the other kids have the insane trait? Idk how well sims get along with others that are too similar, actually. I once had a sim I created the perfect husband for - or so I thought - they had very similar traits and aspirations. They never clicked, he married someone else. So I made her another nice guy, but less similar to her. Hit it off right away :D But no idea, I'm just wondering out loud at this point .. Could be any number of things - out of curiosity: did he spend just as much time with this kid when it was still a baby as he did with the others, especially the twin? Cause maybe they started off with a much lower relationship ..?
  • Options

My simself usually has the bookworm, geek and insane traits. She'll be happily tapping away writing on the computer, in a good mood. Her husband comes in to talk to her and she'll insult him. No reason for it but the insane trait that I can see. Take the insane trait out of the equation and she's nice as pie.

I agree that certain combinations can exacerbate it, and it may be okay in your game, but it sure does cause problems in my game! :)
  • Options

My simself usually has the bookworm, geek and insane traits. She'll be happily tapping away writing on the computer, in a good mood. Her husband comes in to talk to her and she'll insult him. No reason for it but the insane trait that I can see. Take the insane trait out of the equation and she's nice as pie.

I agree that certain combinations can exacerbate it, and it may be okay in your game, but it sure does cause problems in my game! :)

Yeah, it must be a combo thing then. Because I rarely ever combine insanity with geek/bookworm traits. Maybe she insults him because he doesn't let her work and be geeky? :D
  • Options
    Haha no worries :) Hmm .. the kid isn't a snob or squeamish or anything? Do any of the other kids have the insane trait? Idk how well sims get along with others that are too similar, actually. I once had a sim I created the perfect husband for - or so I thought - they had very similar traits and aspirations. They never clicked, he married someone else. So I made her another nice guy, but less similar to her. Hit it off right away :D But no idea, I'm just wondering out loud at this point .. Could be any number of things - out of curiosity: did he spend just as much time with this kid when it was still a baby as he did with the others, especially the twin? Cause maybe they started off with a much lower relationship ..?

I remember as a baby seeing the - thing float above his ands dad's head (couldn't figure out why), maybe that's one reason why it's low. He spent more time with the oldest child as a baby, I was hoping to work on their friendship as he aged, but nope lmao
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• Options
    Could be part of it yes :D It can probably still be fixed. Maybe have them have movie hangouts or playing games together or something? Possible they just didn't bond well when he was a baby :D I know that's why some of my siblings don't like each other either.
  • Options

Yeah, it must be a combo thing then. Because I rarely ever combine insanity with geek/bookworm traits. Maybe she insults him because he doesn't let her work and be geeky? :D

He was a geek too, though lol. Maybe he said they couldn't get any more books because he'd spent all their money on action figures!
  • Options
    Haha :D Or maybe they're competitive geeks? :D It can be weird sometimes though, I've got some sims that do really strange stuff like what you described for no really obvious reason. Same with attraction: I know there's no attraction system in the game, but I still find that my sims aren't equally interested in or attracted to all other sims around them and that I have to work twice as hard to get some relationships working as I do with others. Maybe I'm imagining this though, it's just an observation.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited January 2017
    Same with attraction: I know there's no attraction system in the game, but I still find that my sims aren't equally interested in or attracted to all other sims around them and that I have to work twice as hard to get some relationships working as I do with others. Maybe I'm imagining this though, it's just an observation.
    I noticed the same thing. Some sims get along wonderfully and others don't, based on traits. Their green and pink bars don't behave the same, there seems to be different hidden scores, influenced by traits. In a way, it's almost like a hidden attraction system.
  • Options
    Candyd wrote: »
    Same with attraction: I know there's no attraction system in the game, but I still find that my sims aren't equally interested in or attracted to all other sims around them and that I have to work twice as hard to get some relationships working as I do with others. Maybe I'm imagining this though, it's just an observation.
    I noticed the same thing. Some sims get along wonderfully and others don't, based on traits. Their green and pink bars don't behave the same, there seems to be different hidden scores, influenced by traits. In a way, it's almost like a hidden attraction system.

Hm. Worth investigating, me thinks. Let me google that :)
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

I wish this would happen in my game because everyone loves everyone and that's too unrealistic!
  • Options

That's interesting, I never took that into account. Sounds cool.
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• Options
    Well it seems we're not alone with our observation
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/818077/how-do-you-know-if-they-are-attracted

And there's some stuff in here that might give a clue
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/relationships/romance.php

So I'm guessing when they just don't seem to be compatible / get along as well as they do with others, it really is a mix of traits, emotions, moodlets, context, etc. Not sure you can call that an attraction system, but tbh, I hated TS3's attraction system. It's frustrating to have your founder suddenly flirt with the heir's husband just because they are magically attracted to one another. I always felt that the sims they were attracted to were rarely the sims I actually wanted them to be with, and then when they were happily attached and married and everything was going well, zooom, there they'd go flirt with some complete stranger, because attraction. That's why.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    No matter what I do, their relationship keeps decaying. This sim has 5 kids, and only has a problem with one of the twins. Everyone else gets along. Whenever I leave them be for a while, I come back, and they're doing mischief/mean interactions and the conversation is unpleasant. I thought it had something to do with one of their traits, but they both have the insane trait, and neither of them have evil traits. I just dislike having to babysit my sims during a conversation. Maybe it's meant to be realistic, I don't know. Not sure how to go about fixing it...

I had a sim like this once where he and his daughter we best friends when she was a baby and child, but once she became a teen their relationship was strained. They didn't speak without one being mean to the other, so I let the relationship decay and they didn't really speak again until she was a young adult. Not sure why this happened out of the blue, but its only happened the one time in my game.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited January 2017
    @SimTrippy I can't agree more. I love TS3 but its disastrous attraction system has always driven me nuts. Automatically being lead to cheat just because of meeting some random sim just because of traits in common, and frankly, that's nothing like real life, people don't want to fall in love with clones of themselves. I disabled it as soon as I could find mods for it. Even without having an "official" attraction system, TS4's "chemistry" is significant progress (although I still like TS2's chemistry the most). I like it very much, although I feel that some improvements should be added, turn-ons and also little details, like how most sims (not just mean and evil sims) tend to bully good sims autonomously.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

First of all traits have nothing at all to do with whether these Sims will get along or not. Just rule that out first. Because this is the TS4 and traits aren't going to influence whether the other Sim likes or hates this Sim. That is part of the older games, and is not part of this game. That's why so many people complain about traits in this game.

O.k. secondly insane does bring on many mood swings, anger, flirty etc. 99% of time it is flirty so they may not be getting along so well if one was angry when you weren't paying attention.

But that isn't even the real culprit. But the mischief skill It's the Real Problem. Even a good Sim will use it once picked up over and over and over and over. It overrides all traits and moods. It ruins many games. It should be fried.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.