Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Music or voiceover?

Hi!

I'm just starting out on youtube and in the making of my first video I found that I dislike recording voiceovers a lot. I thinks it's because I'm self-conscious about my english and stumble over words quite a lot. I ended up just not recording a voiceover and leaving the project. So now I have an unfinished video and an empty channel.

I'm not too fond of speed builds with music myself, cause I always find it annoying and I always turn the sound of. Therefore I'd rather not do that, but I fear I have to if I want to put stuff up on youtube.

Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    ThomasSidney1ThomasSidney1 Posts: 55 Member
    If you're new, don't worry about voiceovers. Making a good quality video is most important. But, I've been doing voiceovers since the beginning so if I didn't do one, then my video wouldn't feel complete. But that's just me :)
  • Options
    PlayerRac2PlayerRac2 Posts: 479 Member
    I've decided that I will be doing 10 CAS's featuring speed up's and music and then after each 10, I will do a summary explaining each one, maybe in a ranking format. It might only work since my CAS's are done in themes, but it might be an interesting idea. Will let you know when I reach that magic 10 XD
    I have a Sim Themed YouTube Channel: Take a look! https://youtube.com/channel/UCSLz5W7RU78SStcrnSkLbsg

14889982_1110333189061927_1949143727830044558_o.jpg
  • Options
    pepper090889pepper090889 Posts: 3,354 Member
    I started my channel doing just music until I was comfortable enough to do voice overs. As a viewer, I don't mind music and sometimes prefer it to voice overs for speed builds.
    ofNj4ul
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    I don't make typical LPs or Speed builds myself, but those I view I prefer with voice over if there is a story to tell. Like the sims living there prefer so and so, because they are like so and so... Or if simmer share some experience, why kitchens should be equipped like this, or adding this object gives a boost when so and so - then the viewer will learn something. I think voice overs are great if you have something to say or at least a certain style, but that's probably just me :)

For speed builds with a certain "wow", I prefer just music because the building and idea might be enough to entertain me.

Stat said, do whatever you like the most, most important is that you enjoy making the film :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    solvorshsolvorsh Posts: 142 Member
    Thanks for your feedback guys! I uploaded my first video this week and I am working on another. So far I just stick to music I think, then I'll do voiceovers later if I feel like it. :)
  • Options
    Scott_PlaysScott_Plays Posts: 15 New Member
    Otherwise you can also use Audacity (If you don't already) and that way you can edit your audio track. It won't help if you stumble over words, but you can work on the general audio quality of your recording. The only thing to help you with that is practice. Maybe you could do a voiceover for each video, but if you don't like it you just add music. But that way you would also get practice in speaking.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Otherwise you can also use Audacity (If you don't already) and that way you can edit your audio track. It won't help if you stumble over words, but you can work on the general audio quality of your recording. The only thing to help you with that is practice. Maybe you could do a voiceover for each video, but if you don't like it you just add music. But that way you would also get practice in speaking.
    Yeah, don't forget the magic of editing. You can say a word wrong five times in a row on a recording, laugh at yourself, finally get it right, and then edit out all the mistakes later.

One way people do this with gameplay videos is by filming the video without audio and then putting together a commentary track later. So they make the footage and then they watch it and comment on it while watching it (or vice-versa... make an audio track then make footage for it). This gives quite a bit more breathing room for being entertaining without tying your audio timing to gameplay exactly on the first go.

You could also experiment with writing scripts or outlines for yourself. Things you want to talk about. This will give you some direction if you're trying to film/play and talk, and make it a bit easier not to have those dead spots where you don't know what to say. Improv training can also help with this, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io