May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I wish there was more drama!

This has probably been discussed before, (and if so, I apologize for being repetitive) but don't you think that our sims are a bit too happy? For a game that centers itself around emotions it's pretty darn difficult to make our sims feel anything besides happiness.

It was probably the developers' decision to make the game happy and uplifting, but, for a player who enjoys storytelling, it can be a little frustrating that a good meal + a well decorated room have a bigger impact on the emotion of the sims than the death of a relative. I wish sims would feel angry after an offensive conversation no matter how comfortable their bed was that night! Etc etc You know what I mean?

Comments

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I agree, I would like to see the angry and sad emotions more often.

I think we don't have enough day-to-day drama : couples that disagree about cleaning/taking out the trash/spending time on this or that activities, children that won't do their homework/tidy their room, etc. I would love my Sims to disagree with the behavior of other Sims and get emotion moodlets because of it. At the moment, you have to really push them (cheating/mean interactions) to get any kind of negative reactions.
  • Options
    NiniNini Posts: 309 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Sims 4 sims don't stay angry. You can fight and declare enemy with a Sim and immediately will still start having friendly interactions with each other. In Sims 3, the emotions were consistent and enemy sims would autonomously start arguing with each other. I miss that!

I've been playing the Sims 3 and that's so true, my Sim became enemies with some random girl at Uni and when she got to class, she reacted negatively to the girl being there!
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,688 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Sims 4 sims don't stay angry. You can fight and declare enemy with a Sim and immediately will still start having friendly interactions with each other. In Sims 3, the emotions were consistent and enemy sims would autonomously start arguing with each other. I miss that!

I agree. I didn't play TS3 much so I can't comment on that, but I liked how in TS2 they had 2 bars (short term and long term) and this system just made more sense.
    My Top Song of the Day: Empty by The Click Five
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    FairyTailTurtleFairyTailTurtle Posts: 72 Member
    Sims 4 sims are indeed too happy. I am a horrible person who wants them to go through incredible hardships, so they definitely need to be sadder. :p
    tumblr_static_tumblr_static_76uiiz0z7twkw8w84ow44gscc_640.gif
    My signature's boring, but I have nothing to advertise anyway. Go ahead, move along! =3
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    Yes and no, I think your playing the game a little "too well". While I do agree that sims from the sims 3 could certainly carry grudges I find in the Sims 4 I'm dealing with upset sims a lot more...maybe its because I don't bother building rooms with the perfect emotional aura. I also don't build "perfect" sims.

Actually following off that, traits play a big part of this too, instead of always picking the "best" traits to progress your sims give them a "negative social trait". Honestly its a lot more realistic too.

One of my favorite Sim house holds I used to play was with two married sims, one of which who had the jealousy trait - and oooh boy that was a interesting. Every morning I'd have the husband run out to collect stuff before she was awake, then have him run back. If she was awake when he returned she would NOT be in a good mood. This in turn made her take up angry yoga lol...

My point is while I agree its easy to play the Sims 4 with happy sims by building the perfect rooms and picking traits the only give advantages its more fun to give each sim a "negative" trait. Don't build the perfect room.

In a sense your making the game too happy by your own choices to pick the happiest sims and build a perfect happy world around them.

Don't.
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Go to the romance festival and enjoy. =3
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Jprp83 wrote: »
    This has probably been discussed before, (and if so, I apologize for being repetitive) but don't you think that our sims are a bit too happy? For a game that centers itself around emotions it's pretty darn difficult to make our sims feel anything besides happiness.

It was probably the developers' decision to make the game happy and uplifting, but, for a player who enjoys storytelling, it can be a little frustrating that a good meal + a well decorated room have a bigger impact on the emotion of the sims than the death of a relative. I wish sims would feel angry after an offensive conversation no matter how comfortable their bed was that night! Etc etc You know what I mean?

Actually.... What I'm finding is that the emotive system is easily manipulated so that you are more likely to create the desired outcome in a story telling setting.

As far as them randomly hating each other forever however...you do have a point.

• Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    Yes and no, I think your playing the game a little "too well". While I do agree that sims from the sims 3 could certainly carry grudges I find in the Sims 4 I'm dealing with upset sims a lot more...maybe its because I don't bother building rooms with the perfect emotional aura. I also don't build "perfect" sims.

Actually following off that, traits play a big part of this too, instead of always picking the "best" traits to progress your sims give them a "negative social trait". Honestly its a lot more realistic too.

One of my favorite Sim house holds I used to play was with two married sims, one of which who had the jealousy trait - and oooh boy that was a interesting. Every morning I'd have the husband run out to collect stuff before she was awake, then have him run back. If she was awake when he returned she would NOT be in a good mood. This in turn made her take up angry yoga lol...

My point is while I agree its easy to play the Sims 4 with happy sims by building the perfect rooms and picking traits the only give advantages its more fun to give each sim a "negative" trait. Don't build the perfect room.

In a sense your making the game too happy by your own choices to pick the happiest sims and build a perfect happy world around them.

Don't.

Actually jealous is one of my favorite traits exactly for those reasons. So is hot headed. But I don't want all my sims to be jealous and hot headed! I don't think any of my sims has the good trait, but I think even good sims could be angry sometimes!

What I mean is that I think the moodlets are unbalanced... No matter how well decorated the room is, a grieving wife should at least be sad for a while after her husbands death!
  • Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »

Actually.... What I'm finding is that the emotive system is easily manipulated so that you are more likely to create the desired outcome in a story telling setting.

As far as them randomly hating each other forever however...you do have a point.

you are actually right. But I probably wasn't clear when I mentioned storytelling. Its not that I am actually writing a story, taking screenshots and posting everything online. I just play my game with a storyline developing in my head, rather than playing it for a heritage challenge or whatnot. I want drama to develop naturally without me having to fill the room with emotional aura objects or whatever!

With that said, I want to state that I'be having tons of fun playing the game lately! I just wish emotions were a little tweaked, alongside with the crazy amount of bugs that are still happening and need to be fixed XD
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member

Yes I totally agree with you. My issue is that there's no consequences to actions, in regards to impacting their emotions. If your Sim's spouse cheated, they're able to have a friendly conversation in a matter of seconds. @TOLKIEN you have a point, but I don't give my Sims good traits or decorate their home with any mood objects and they're still always happy. I hate to go back to an older game, but in TS2...this game wasn't even based on emotion as the big seller. But you better believe that if a Sim's spouse cheated, good luck getting on their good side. They had fury, and their was an amount of time that had to pass before you could even think of having a friendly conversation. I used to love to play this game, because enemies and angry Sims reacted in the way that they should. If they didn't like you, you couldn't just walk up to them. I enjoy TS4, but I think it needs a little more depth when it comes to emotions. I do like the jealous trait. My Sim in my avatar is jealous, mean, and hot headed. It definitely adds a little drama to my Sims lives, but I still want to kick it up a notch.
  • Options
    Uzone27 wrote: »

you are actually right. But I probably wasn't clear when I mentioned storytelling. Its not that I am actually writing a story, taking screenshots and posting everything online. I just play my game with a storyline developing in my head, rather than playing it for a heritage challenge or whatnot. I want drama to develop naturally without me having to fill the room with emotional aura objects or whatever!

With that said, I want to state that I'be having tons of fun playing the game lately! I just wish emotions were a little tweaked, alongside with the crazy amount of bugs that are still happening and need to be fixed XD

Agreed certain events should have deeper and long lasting effects that can't be overridden by buffs or even character traits.
    I'm with you.
  • Options

Yes I totally agree with you. My issue is that there's no consequences to actions, in regards to impacting their emotions. If your Sim's spouse cheated, they're able to have a friendly conversation in a matter of seconds. @TOLKIEN you have a point, but I don't give my Sims good traits or decorate their home with any mood objects and they're still always happy. I hate to go back to an older game, but in TS2...this game wasn't even based on emotion as the big seller. But you better believe that if a Sim's spouse cheated, good luck getting on their good side. They had fury, and their was an amount of time that had to pass before you could even think of having a friendly conversation. I used to love to play this game, because enemies and angry Sims reacted in the way that they should. If they didn't like you, you couldn't just walk up to them. I enjoy TS4, but I think it needs a little more depth when it comes to emotions. I do like the jealous trait. My Sim in my avatar is jealous, mean, and hot headed. It definitely adds a little drama to my Sims lives, but I still want to kick it up a notch.

They are certainly more dynamic and fluid than any other Sims. Most of the time it works in TS4's favor.
    When it comes to strife howver I have to agree that it doesn't work so well.

Remember back in the Sims 1 when the Sims were so wooden, that we used to try and guess what a Sim might be thinking or feeling based on their thought bubbles? (which were 95% random 100% of the time)

Well this game makes the mistake of not letting the player guess what might be right or wrong with their Sim by spelling things out in plain text. You don't need to spell out that my Sim is angry I can see that..now on to what caused it and what to do about it...

That would have been one simple cost effective way to ameliorate some of the problem of rapid and (unrealistic) changes in emotional states...and instantly add gameplay depth without spending a penny.

While this suggestion wouldn't have solved the problem of rapid emotinoal shift it would have added a lot more intrigue.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Yeah there is far too much. "I can't believe he kissed....OOO pretty!" moment in the game. I have LOADS of drama in my game but they hardly react to things if they do and go all shiny thing just walking past tree!!! I am sure Candy would have dumped Shinya LONG ago if she didn't keep walking on a rug that made her forget all about she just caught her boyfriend in the closet with another woman.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    Preachin' to the choir OP! I haven't played Sims 4 in over a month now because it just lacks drama. I'm back to Sims 3 and may even reinstall Sims 2 this weekend.
  • Options
    SimfuncrunchSimfuncrunch Posts: 513 Member
    Yep, I posted a similar thread on this excess of happiness at about this same time as this one. I have never liked the way "emotions" work in this version of the game.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited November 2016
    There won't be more drama in this game because there are almost no failures in sims 4. Drama comes from a failure of some sort.
  • Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    I wish sims had memories that would affect things later on in the game... ( I think this was mentioned by Rachel Franklin when the sims 4 was first announced in germany)

But Like if something happens to a sim they'll remember and it bothers them positively or negatively
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited November 2016
    I wish. It is so depressing seeing Sims so Stepford all the time. I mean I know people called the Sims 3 robots with the neutral, but Sims smiling all the time like Stepford robots isn't that much different.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    I wish. It is so depressing seeing Sims so Stepford all the time. I mean I know people called the Sims 3 robots with the neutral, but Sims smiling all the time like Stepford robots isn't that much different.

The game should be called The Stepford Sims instead now that you mention it. I never thought if it that way, but TS4 is all Stepford and creepy like!!!

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    edited November 2016

The game should be called The Stepford Sims instead now that you mention it. I never thought if it that way, but TS4 is all Stepford and creepy like!!!
    LOL I have called it The Stepford Sims before. Sometimes I call it the Truman Sims too. I have odd nicknames for things. It does creep me out like that movie.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

LOL I have called it The Stepford Sims before. Sometimes I call it the Truman Sims too. I have odd nicknames for things. It does creep me out like that movie.

LMAO Truman is fitting as well!!! Oh I am so glad that I messed around with things to push the limits over the top to create drama in my game. Still the whole happy all the time aspect is taking away the fun. It's like they all ate the special brownies or something.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options

LMAO Truman is fitting as well!!! Oh I am so glad that I messed around with things to push the limits over the top to create drama in my game. Still the whole happy all the time aspect is taking away the fun. It's like they all ate the special brownies or something.
    I was thinking they took something else, but gets mind out of gutter. Yeah I'm not sure what the Sims are on now.
  • Options
    celeste821celeste821 Posts: 543 Member
    my real life is hard enough, I like happy sims
  • Options
    DiamondsR4everDiamondsR4ever Posts: 243 Member
    Jordojord wrote: »
    I wish sims had memories that would affect things later on in the game... ( I think this was mentioned by Rachel Franklin when the sims 4 was first announced in germany)

But Like if something happens to a sim they'll remember and it bothers them positively or negatively

I really like that idea.
    The ignore feature is a blessing :D . Don't be afraid to use it!