Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death and rotational play

Just bear with me while I vent out something that has been bugging me. I don't expect a solution. This is something only fellow Simmers can relate to.

For the most part I have fun playing with my Sims. My issue is that I like to play rotationally playing a few households and building relationships among them. I get attached to my Sims up to when they turn Edlers.

I would love to be able to keep their urns, but it is impossible for me. When their life bar bubbles signaling their end days and I play them, they can take many Sim days to expire. As soon as I leave the household to play another one inevitably they pass on and I miss their urn. I had a few Edlers I loved playing and I missed all of their deaths. One Elder I played kept his age bar bubbling for at least three Sims weeks after. I grew impatient and loaded another family to find out their progress and then he died while I left! Oh well.

I actually miss that about SIms 3. When they said their final hours they mean't it. Thank you all for the luxury of venting my frustration. My favorite Sim died tonight as I was in another household giving a well liked Teen a birthday party. Big sigh.

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Hello
    If you have Get Together, try having your sims go to the bar on Ghost night , which is on Wednesdays, and the ghost sims may be there.
    Then you could enter into the cheat bar
    testingcheats true
    Then shift click on them and click " add to household"
    Then use a cheat to remove the death trait of the way that they passed away
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/death/ghosts.php
    Then kill them again whilst you are with them and you will then get their urn

These links contain death cheats to cause them to die
    http://simsvip.com/sims-4-cheats-codes/#Death
    http://sims-online.com/sims-4-game-info/sims-4-game-cheats-codes/
  • Options
    SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    I know exactly where u are coming from. My founder died this way. I had switched houses because of worrying about relationship decay and all. She died while I was gone and her bar wasn't bubbling she had like 3 days to go. What really sucks is that she was the first TS4 sim I had ever created and the first sim to die. I had no idea that if you werent active in the household you couldn't get their urns/tombstones. She is gone forever but her family lives on.
    They really need to do something about this. I would much rather them spend recourses on this instead of fancy lighting and animations to make curtains flutter in the breeze on a closed window.
    I'm sure many simmers would agree.
  • Options
    Montrase102Montrase102 Posts: 330 Member

rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    If you have Get Together, try having your sims go to the bar on Ghost night , which is on Wednesdays, and the ghost sims may be there.
    Then you could enter into the cheat bar
    testingcheats true
    Then shift click on them and click " add to household"
    Then use a cheat to remove the death trait of the way that they passed away
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/death/ghosts.php
    Then kill them again whilst you are with them and you will then get their urn

These links contain death cheats to cause them to die
    http://simsvip.com/sims-4-cheats-codes/#Death
    http://sims-online.com/sims-4-game-info/sims-4-game-cheats-codes/

Thank you rosemow. I might try that, but it just doesn't feel as natural. I will give it a shot though.

I know exactly where u are coming from. My founder died this way. I had switched houses because of worrying about relationship decay and all. She died while I was gone and her bar wasn't bubbling she had like 3 days to go. What really plum is that she was the first TS4 sim I had ever created and the first sim to die. I had no idea that if you werent active in the household you couldn't get their urns/tombstones. She is gone forever but her family lives on.
    They really need to do something about this. I would much rather them spend recourses on this instead of fancy lighting and animations to make curtains flutter in the breeze on a closed window.

I agree. I would at least appreciate a better idea on how much time a Sim has before death. I mean 3 weeks after being told they are in their final days is a bit much.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited October 2016
    Just bear with me while I vent out something that has been bugging me. I don't expect a solution. This is something only fellow Simmers can relate to.

For the most part I have fun playing with my Sims. My issue is that I like to play rotationally playing a few households and building relationships among them. I get attached to my Sims up to when they turn Edlers.

I would love to be able to keep their urns, but it is impossible for me. When their life bar bubbles signaling their end days and I play them, they can take many Sim days to expire. As soon as I leave the household to play another one inevitably they pass on and I miss their urn. I had a few Edlers I loved playing and I missed all of their deaths. One Elder I played kept his age bar bubbling for at least three Sims weeks after. I grew impatient and loaded another family to find out their progress and then he died while I left! Oh well.

I actually miss that about SIms 3. When they said their final hours they mean't it. Thank you all for the luxury of venting my frustration. My favorite Sim died tonight as I was in another household giving a well liked Teen a birthday party. Big sigh.

the game culls elder sims when not presently played
    it's equal how many days left to live they have, being an elder sim means already prone to be culled

i once was starting a new community of sims, different constellations of sims living on different lots
    among them two new families with elders, both were housed
    one was a single elder female sim, i wanted to play her rotationally as a painter
    on another lot an elder couple (can't remember now if there lived younger sims on that lot too)
    i played both families for one, two sim days & left them to set further families into that community
    two days later, the single elder sim vanished without any trace, from the couple the man "died", was visible for one sim day as ghost & then vanished too

after this experience i turned aging off
    this game is not playable as normal life
    the game removes elders relentlessly
    & what for ?
    to leave the houses unoccupied & to produce new ugly randomly generated townies

rotationally you can play only with aging off or with mods preventing culling
    but i am not sure if there is a mod which produces urns for dead sims when not active

edit
    Halloween would have been a perfect opportunity to patch in finally a cemetery, where all the dead sims can have a grave & the player is able to decide if the sim was important to them or not & delete or leave that sim as ghost in the game
    but instead we get a challenge disconnected from the main gameplay, that's TS4

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @Montrase102
    You could switch to the "Active household only" setting in the aging option, adjusting the overall speed (switching to normal or fast) to keep it the same. Depending on how many households you have, and if you rotate regularly, it could be a solution.

@Rukola_Schaaf
    Elder Sims don't need to be actively played at the time of their death to be immune to culling. What matters is whether their household had the played status (green plumbob in Manage Households), you can be playing any household you want at the time of the death, it would still count them as "played". This wasn't exactly the case at launch, has been changed one year ago.
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    I wish they had graveyards like Sims 3 where u could manage the dead to retrieve the tombstone of ppl who have died
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    TheBristolSimmerTheBristolSimmer Posts: 705 Member
    This has happened to me before.

Why they take so long sometimes to die, is because they've lived a longer amount of days. If I played a sim with aging turned off for a long time, when it came to being an elder, the "coming to the end of their life" bit takes longer because they have been alive for longer as baby, child, teen, young adult and adult. Does that make sense?

So if they lived the normal amount of sim days, the end of their life bit would last a few days. If they've been alive for 600 sim days, well then that bit is going to take longer!

It is annoying, I've missed out on the urns, and it's so frustrating. I have a grave yard lot where I put all the grave stones.
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @Rukola_Schaaf
    Elder Sims don't need to be actively played at the time of their death to be immune to culling. What matters is whether their household had the played status (green plumbob in Manage Households), you can be playing any household you want at the time of the death, it would still count them as "played". This wasn't exactly the case at launch, has been changed one year ago.

you don't get it, right ?

elders were culled while younger sims remained - happenstance ? i don't think so

since then i played with aging off, this was the only way to prevent culling of housed sims
    but unhoused sims are destined by those devs to be still just fillers, background noise

&
    WHY should i even bother how those devs imagine how i have to deal with the sims I SET INTO THE GAME ?
    why should i trace their number, why should i watch out if the plumbob is green or not ? why should i keep track if they are housed or not, if they are townies, NPCs, coworkers, employees, role sims or whatever status those devs come up with for sims
    i want to play all sims but some sims are sims while others are not - like those babies
    this game is just no fun with all those exceptions & hoops to jump, no fun at all

culling in a life & people simulator should be an absolute No Go
    it was enraging in TS3, they removed it & 7 years later it's now mandatory in TS4, what progress !
    if they can make usage of mods optional why is it so hard to make culling optional ???

& programmed loss of urns & tombstones should be the same, a No Go

not the devs have to decide how people play a sims game but the players
    that's why there has to be options, some players don't give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about most of the sims in their game, many don't care for townies, others don't care for NPCs, for babies, for elders, for ghosts, for children, for teens - but those are NOT ALL PLAYERS
    this game has to contain options for how different players play
    if the devs don't deliver those options then they make a preselection of players, some play the right way & obviously i belong to those players which all of the sudden after 15 years of playing sims play it the wrong way - thanks !

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    @Rukola_Schaaf
    I must admit I'm not sure I understand correctly everything you're saying.

When were your elders culled and when did they die exactly ?
    Culling of housed Sims only happened at the very beginning of the game. Is this something that happened to you recently ?
  • Options
    KlueniiKluenii Posts: 90 Member
    Rosemow has suggested one option for dealing with ghosts and elders which is certainly helpful. In some cases, the ghosts are moved into "hidden households" by the game which is like a placeholder for ghosts when they are not roaming. I have written up a walkthrough which uses MCC and the cheat panel to recover tombstones for those ghosts. This will maintain their connections in your family trees, allowing to release their spirits or as some players have done, create graveyards using the tombstones. The walk through can be found Here. Daniel_USA also has created a video tutuorial of this process if you would like to see it in action.
  • Options
    Side note on ghosts: I really don't like how ghosts stay in the game it seems perminately. I have legacy sims from generations ago as ghosts working at the hospital... It bugs me how unrealistic that is! xoxo
    The Bristol Simmer||Find my builds and legacy updates on the gallery! Have a happy day!

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    Side note on ghosts: I really don't like how ghosts stay in the game it seems perminately. I have legacy sims from generations ago as ghosts working at the hospital... It bugs me how unrealistic that is! xoxo

I wonder whether ghosts working at the hospital is intentional or not. You're not the first one to post that it looks a bit odd.
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    That's why we need a cemetery and a mausoleum, to get our urn back, at least for played/unplayed household in the neighborhood, the npc townie's gosth can be deleted it won't matter (for me at least, if i wanted them i would have gave them a house).
    Same that @TheBristolSimmer it's a bit ... let's say annoying that ghost seems to take the control of the town after a while.
    If we could at least put them on a cemetery if you want them to walk around and in a mausoleum if you don't want to see them but also don't want them to get deleted from the family tree.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I agree with you! That's why I started this thread, "Death in TS4 - Many Changes Needed". The death mechanics in this game have so many problems that it makes generational play difficult.
  • Options
    Montrase102Montrase102 Posts: 330 Member
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I know I am not alone in how the game handles our deceased. I do not have mods, so I cannot use your suggestion KLUENII, but thank you. I will probably try out what rosemow suggested, at least for my favorite Sims.

Lol! I know what you mean. I actually had the ghost of a Sims grandfather deliver his great grandaughters birth once.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Yes!!

This is one of the reasons why I have hesitated to build a legacy in Sims 4. I play rotational and I don't want to miss out on my elders. Haven't decided on what to do about it yet. I might just off them myself in the sauna or something just so I don't miss them even if that feels horrible. I want to have my gravestone so that my family can remember them and have their ghost around for a generation or two.

Gahh.... hope they are in the process of working out a way to manage-the-dead. Grave-lot or something!
  • Options

Lol! I know what you mean. I actually had the ghost of a Sims grandfather deliver his great grandaughters birth once.[/quote]

It's crazy isn't it!? In my game I seem to have great great great ancestors showing up everywhere! :)

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    That's why we need a cemetery and a mausoleum, to get our urn back, at least for played/unplayed household in the neighborhood, the npc townie's gosth can be deleted it won't matter (for me at least, if i wanted them i would have gave them a house).
    Same that @TheBristolSimmer it's a bit ... let's say annoying that ghost seems to take the control of the town after a while.
    If we could at least put them on a cemetery if you want them to walk around and in a mausoleum if you don't want to see them but also don't want them to get deleted from the family tree.

Same, Don't want them deleted from the family tree. So I leave them.. to man the hospital reception desk and deliver my sims babies... Argh the annoyance!! :) xoxo

68OUgVc.jpg
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    edited October 2016
    I know exactly where u are coming from. My founder died this way. I had switched houses because of worrying about relationship decay and all. She died while I was gone and her bar wasn't bubbling she had like 3 days to go. What really plum is that she was the first TS4 sim I had ever created and the first sim to die. I had no idea that if you werent active in the household you couldn't get their urns/tombstones. She is gone forever but her family lives on.

Exactly! How are the curtains fluttering when you can't open the windows? Are we all just using cheap, drafty windows
    Post edited by LolaLuvsSims on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Yes!!

This is one of the reasons why I have hesitated to build a legacy in Sims 4. I play rotational and I don't want to miss out on my elders. Haven't decided on what to do about it yet. I might just off them myself in the sauna or something just so I don't miss them even if that feels horrible. I want to have my gravestone so that my family can remember them and have their ghost around for a generation or two.

Gahh.... hope they are in the process of working out a way to manage-the-dead. Grave-lot or something!

I know, I end up running around killing off my Sims when I notice they're almost at the end of the Elder lifestage just because I want to be there when they die so that they have a gravestone. It's a really demoralizing way to play. :( This problem has my legacy pretty much on pause right now.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    Yes!!

I know, I end up running around killing off my Sims when I notice they're almost at the end of the Elder lifestage just because I want to be there when they die so that they have a gravestone. It's a really demoralizing way to play. :( This problem has my legacy pretty much on pause right now.

08-11-16_1-55-28nbspPM_zps17r6u6yo.png
    Jupp, think I am heading in that direction as well. I rather be sad about killing them but at least having them around. I already do the "Pool-of-death" for the special townie-families that I don't want to lose the family tree for. Arghh... I just don't want to kill my beloved main-sims. The townies gets whatever the story needs but my "mains", I treat them with kid gloves.

06-17-16_9-23-32nbspPM_zpsvzl6ujtp.png
    Either I stop playing rotational when she is older. But she has been sporty her entire life, who knows for how many days extra she will be around. Or I kill her off, but I just cannot do that. Think this is one of the reason I put my legacy on pause at the moment. She is halfway through the adult-stage and I just don't want to stop playing rotational or killing her intently.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Another option, if you have Get together, form a club that's invite only and add the elders as you get the notificiation that they are nearing the end and have them meet at a specific lot .. use that lot as your "death zone". Create an underground area with your primary sim that you don't want to have affected by the deaths, and have them playing the piano or something distracting while the club gathers.

Lock the door so your primary sim is undisturbed and target your club members, if you have MCC you can use the Kill Sim command and easily assist them to the end, if no MCC there is the tried and true lock them in a room, set them on fire, drowning etc etc all which take longer but do eventually work. You can continue to add new Elders to this club and call "meetings" as needed (when you need to reduce elder population) and even add new members on the fly, inviting them to the current lot (and their demise?) I do hate this approach because of the athletic ones with the long lived trait.

Those sporty elders.. can live for generations... I had one from my 3rd generation that was still going strong as my 10th generation was born... all his brothers, sisters and even children were long gone, but he just kept going ... would see him jogging all the time ...he seemed so lonely, I finally took pity on him and helped him along with a kill command but I wonder how much longer he would have lasted...

• Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Kluenii wrote: »
    Another option, if you have Get together, form a club that's invite only and add the elders as you get the notificiation that they are nearing the end and have them meet at a specific lot .. use that lot as your "death zone". Create an underground area with your primary sim that you don't want to have affected by the deaths, and have them playing the piano or something distracting while the club gathers.

Lock the door so your primary sim is undisturbed and target your club members, if you have MCC you can use the Kill Sim command and easily assist them to the end, if no MCC there is the tried and true lock them in a room, set them on fire, drowning etc etc all which take longer but do eventually work. You can continue to add new Elders to this club and call "meetings" as needed (when you need to reduce elder population) and even add new members on the fly, inviting them to the current lot (and their demise?) I do hate this approach because of the athletic ones with the long lived trait.

Those sporty elders.. can live for generations... I had one from my 3rd generation that was still going strong as my 10th generation was born... all his brothers, sisters and even children were long gone, but he just kept going ... would see him jogging all the time ...he seemed so lonely, I finally took pity on him and helped him along with a kill command but I wonder how much longer he would have lasted...

Yikes!... ^that creeped me out for some reason... :*
  • Options
    @Uzone27 Sorry :neutral:

I find my game sometimes gets overwhelmed with Elders, especially when I have some generations that have an excessive number of offspring. Tombstones/urns are an issue. I figured out how to get them from the ghosts, but it requires the use of a Mod to do it successfully which understandably some people don't want to do, rotational play is another option, but there are always some elders that end up getting missed. I'm only trying to offer an alternative, though admittedly the "gather them up and take them out" method does seem rather sadistic and heartless, for some it may be a workable solution, though you could look at it from a peaceful solution and create a lot that has all the nice stuff, highest comfort, relaxation etc and make it like a retirement home, a few rooms with double beds, some saunas, add woohoo as a club activity and let the elderly go out with a smile....
  • Options
    @Kluenii - Your club idea would work for non-rotational players but I only get the 'their time is almost up' notification for Sims in my active household. Yeah, athletic elders live so long, though I've never had one live an extra seven generations! xD That's why I don't want to off anybody prematurely, besides being attached to them and not wanting to take one afternoon to run around and watch a quarter of my Sims die one after the other. It makes the whole thing feel so mechanical. I hope they improve this soon. Even just having a tombstone automatically generate in an unused spot on the lot would be great, though that still doesn't take care of unhoused Sims... which is why a graveyard would be awesome! :(