The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ideas at a Glance for Toddlers

Comments

• Options
    NoriYoriNoriYori Posts: 36 Member
    I'd like to contribute to this. I will use my nieces and nephew as an example.

Niece or K- she's 4 now, but just like her brother, who still has yet to turn 7, demands me to turn them on something meaning she wants me to turn on a tv show for her. Sometimes K doesn't say what she wants to watch or shows me by pointing. K can't really memorize tv show names unlike my nephew, A , although he is older, can. So, I think toddlers should demand for tv to be turned on when they're not. They might beg for a specific type a channel for you to change into for them. When you don't do as they please, they will to keep on countiung and whine/beg. It might go away after a while.

Nephew- yes, next is A. A is not like K, but they both whine and beg for stuff like any other 4-6yr child. A likes to play with Legos (note: he's in the Lego Jr League as a 1st grader) He can build Legos with instructions. So, toddlers (for older sims to) should play with Legos. They could build all sorts of models, shapes, sizes. Just things. Sims could compete in contests who can build the biggest/best Lego creation ever made!

A and K- the worst thing about A and K is letting them sleep with me. They will constantly wake me up, bug me to death. Well, we bug each other, but we refuse to go to sleep. Are parents get so annoyed when we play together. They tell us to go to sleep or else....anyway, if one of my sister's kids slept with me, we might mess with the other. So if toddlers are sleeping with an older sim, chances are the toddler could mess around with them while they are trying to sleep. The older could either kick the toddler out or leave the room themselves. (A and K still sleep with their mommy and not in in there own beds) and toddlers should sleep in beds to than cribs. I would like to see sims lifting toddler onto the beds,

On YouTube, I watched an interesting video. It was called Sims in Real life. It started out with a girl about let's say 12 pretending to play the sims 3. The girl had one young adult sim ( played by a 11-year-old girl) and a toddler (played by a 2-year-old). It had similar interactions of the Sims 3. The player (the 12-year-old girl) was telling each of her Sims what to do. Like for an example, Amber ( couldn't remember the girls name) pick up Emily (toddler). You guys have to watch the video yoursleves, but I was hoping that child sims or preteens could lift and carry babies and toddlers. I feel that they should. I also found a site that talks about parents letting there children pick up and carry babies.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,445 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »
    Huge life stage jumps and teens that look like young adults has killed any desire to play families.

The key things with toddlers for me is parent/child bonding and growth and development.
    The toddler stage was the bonding stage for my sims and their children. Babies are too young and the child stage is where they start forming their personalities and should be the beginning of working towards independence. No toddlers has really turned me off of playing families in TS4. That along with really old looking teens. I am waiting for a Generations EP. Aging is turned off and all my sims are single until we get it. So there is no family play for me.

Perhaps EA needs to take a deeper at how they approach toddlers. It should not be a life stage that you want to skip. The age stage should have a bit of neediness and annoyance, but it should be endearing enough to be worth it. There should also be more relationship and growth rewards for going through it. I want the attention given to toddlers, or lack of it, to make a difference in their life. I would like to see EA focus more on that and less on making them tiresome and annoying.

Those who want to skip the toddler stage should not be penalized for doing so, i.e. getting a bad trait or not being able to choose one, but they will miss out on the extra benefits of raising a happy and healthy toddler.

One benefit I would like to see is a reward that will not let your sim die from extreme emotions.
    A well cared for sim during the toddler stage is emotionally balanced. Extreme emotions is not a life risk.

The Sims 2 is a good touchstone for toddlers. There were a lot of good parent/toddler interactions. What I don't want is them waking up an screaming every time. Just let them scream when they have good reason to. The things that simmers find annoying in toddlers should happen when your sim is being a really poor parent and the child's development should suffer accordingly.

I like teaching them to walk and talk, but I don't want it to feel like a grind. There should also be some benefits for teaching them. Skilling for charisma and athleticism should get a boost.

This.
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    mookie1981 wrote: »
    I also think toddlers should get sick and we can take them to the doctor for the gtw pack. Maybe we could use a thermometer to take their temp and give them medicine.

ohhhh thats a good idea!
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    I also think toddlers should get sick and we can take them to the doctor for the gtw pack. Maybe we could use a thermometer to take their temp and give them medicine.

I agree on toddlers getting sick with GTW! But taking them to the hospital will probably not happen :\ Nor calling a doctor to treat sims at home. You probably have to order medicine from the computer like we do now.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    mookie1981mookie1981 Posts: 189 Member
    @Sigzy05 Yea you are right about taking them to the hospital since we can't take our sims to the hospital now unless they are pregnant. Sorry don't know how to add your quote to my comment. I only now how to tag.
    2vmcal4.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Sigzy05 Yea you are right about taking them to the hospital since we can't take our sims to the hospital now unless they are pregnant. Sorry don't know how to add your quote to my comment. I only now how to tag.

You click on the quote button between flag and insightful :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    NoriYoriNoriYori Posts: 36 Member
    I thought this thread was closed??? Lol
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I think I'll just say "ditto" for everything above. Everyone has already voiced the things I would like to see. :)

Pretty much this too.

--T
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,557 Member
    Could you imagine if your sim is a doctor toddlers coming to the hospital to be diagnosed?
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,557 Member
    So it hit me this morning (and this may be in here somewhere) that it would be great if toddlers could just stop whatever they were doing at the moment (autonomously, like when you're not playing them) and run over and hug their nearest parent (stopping the parent doing whatever the parent is doing) telling the parent they love them, then run back to playing. It could also be available as an action for the player. The parents would, of course, get a positive happy (maybe even VERY HAPPY!) moodlet for the next couple of hours.

I really want a toddler interaction where we can click on a sim and hug their legs. I always thought it was so cute when my niece would do that. :P

o0oufs.jpg

Yes please.
  • Options
    4685e99c3f914011cb73df9fb56940a2.jpg
    56349_max.jpg

have those to go hand and hand ;v;

pTRU1-13174566_alternate1_enh-z6.jpg
    3585446_f520.jpg
    91j-XJogf6L._SL1500_.jpg

8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2016
    So adorable all these ride 'em toys and cute toddlers too. OMG - I am going to explode from happy giggles. I swear my face is froze in the widest smile I have mustered in months. Giving me "giddy belly".

Giddy Belly by the way is my first grader nephews name for "butterflies" he got in his belly this year when his mom took him to tell Santa what he wanted for Xmas. It is my new word for the year. I just adore the way children, especially the little ones think. LOL. Now I am getting Giddy Belly over all these posts and amazing pictures. LOL. Love this thread.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    mookie1981mookie1981 Posts: 189 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

You click on the quote button between flag and insightful :)

Ha Ha. Thank you so much.
    2vmcal4.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    So adorable all these ride 'em toys and cute toddlers too. OMG - I am going to explode from happy giggles. I swear my face is froze in the widest smile I have mustered in months. Giving me "giddy belly".

Giddy Belly by the way is my first grader nephews name for "butterflies" he got in his belly this year when his mom took him to tell Santa what he wanted for Xmas. It is my new word for the year. I just adore the way children, especially the little ones think. LOL. Now I am getting Giddy Belly over all these posts and amazing pictures. LOL. Love this thread.

awwww your nephew sounds cute

i hope they add riding toys cause it would be cute to see them ride around in them
  • Options
    bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Huge life stage jumps and teens that look like young adults has killed any desire to play families.

The key things with toddlers for me is parent/child bonding and growth and development.
    The toddler stage was the bonding stage for my sims and their children. Babies are too young and the child stage is where they start forming their personalities and should be the beginning of working towards independence. No toddlers has really turned me off of playing families in TS4. That along with really old looking teens. I am waiting for a Generations EP. Aging is turned off and all my sims are single until we get it. So there is no family play for me.

Perhaps EA needs to take a deeper look at how they approach toddlers. It should not be a life stage that you want to skip. The age stage should have a bit of neediness and annoyance, but it should be endearing enough to be worth it. There should also be more relationship and growth rewards for going through it. I want the attention given to toddlers, or lack of it, to make a difference in their life. I would like to see EA focus more on that and less on making them tiresome and annoying.

Those who want to skip the toddler stage should not be penalized for doing so, i.e. getting a bad trait or not being able to choose one, but they will miss out on the extra benefits of raising a happy and healthy toddler.

One benefit I would like to see is a reward that will not let your sim die from extreme emotions.
    A well cared for sim during the toddler stage is emotionally balanced. Extreme emotions is not a life risk.

The Sims 2 is a good touchstone for toddlers. There were a lot of good parent/toddler interactions. What I don't want is them waking up an screaming every time. Just let them scream when they have good reason to. The things that simmers find annoying in toddlers should happen when your sim is being a really poor parent and the child's development should suffer accordingly.

I like teaching them to walk and talk, but I don't want it to feel like a grind. There should also be some benefits for teaching them. Skilling for charisma and athleticism should get a boost.

Yes, I second all of this. Especially the parts I bolded.

@SimGuruLyndsay @SimGuruDrake this post is brilliant, please notice it :smile:

CK, you always manage to post pretty much exactly what I'm thinking. Top stuff!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

i hope they add riding toys cause it would be cute to see them ride around in them

Oh he is. He cracks me up as he has terms for everything that he either does not know what it is called or just feels like calling it something else he can relate to. Top that with his sparkling personality, amazing dimples like his father - his dad is my husbands youngest brother, and he has a head of dark beautiful curly hair to die for. He a delight to have to visit and never fails to make me laugh.

Yes - I so hope they get ride em toys and all kinds of toddler furniture like kitchens, and little tables and chairs, little rocking chairs - all those adorable little things are always so cute. Toddler things now a days are just so darn cute -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    This thread makes me want to play sims so much. Then I remember we don't have any of this yet. I need this badly!! I didn't know how much until now.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• Options
    GreenondiniGreenondini Posts: 19 Member
    Just to have the toddlers would make me so happy. I loved the interactions on the beach from the previous EP, strollers, anything really..... SO EXCITED. I guess there are a lot of fantastic ideas on this thread already. Being able to run a daycare is also something i would look forward too. Thanks for starting this thread"@SimGuruDrake.
  • Options

Oh he is. He cracks me up as he has terms for everything that he either does not know what it is called or just feels like calling it something else he can relate to. Top that with his sparkling personality, amazing dimples like his father - his dad is my husbands youngest brother, and he has a head of dark beautiful curly hair to die for. He a delight to have to visit and never fails to make me laugh.

Yes - I so hope they get ride em toys and all kinds of toddler furniture like kitchens, and little tables and chairs, little rocking chairs - all those adorable little things are always so cute. Toddler things now a days are just so darn cute -

yes to the tiny kitchens and table set. it would be intereting to see if they get their own size doll houses or play with the big one already in game :lol:
  • Options
    GreenondiniGreenondini Posts: 19 Member
    * NOT PREVIOUS EP, PREVIOUS GAME (sorry)
  • Options
    uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    Just wondering if in the first photo has he (guessing its a boy, blue cake green chair) fallen asleep after all that cake mashing or decided to suck on the table edge...reminds me of my grandson hehe
    I wish we adults could have as much fun! hmmmmm *sneaks off to get a large cake*
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    So you have all come up with an amazing amount of ideas. What I am going to try to do is separate the information into sections and link from the first page to the relevant section on the page from now on. Then as you all add ideas I will go back and edit the posts to the sections. Of course a lot of it crosses over but to get it in *some* sort of order should help us and the Gurus to see what common threads are and make it easier to understand what people are looking for.

Now I am going to include suggestions from everyone-this space is your ideas board-a gift to the gurus as such and I want you all to feel you get to have an equal say and not have to worry that you'll be overlooked. I will do my best for you all, I promise :)

I will also ask that you communicate about this thread elsewhere so we get a wide pool to draw from-we want this to reflect as much of the community as possible and amazing ideas come from each other and brain storming-you never know what we are missing that a newbie may have in their brain! ;)

Thank you so, so much for contributing so much and for showing so much love for this topic. It truly is wonderful to read and to be a part of, and I am very grateful to all of you for embracing it :)
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    edited March 2016
    Jordan243 wrote: »
    And while we're at it, can we please PLEASE have toddlers (and children) with unusual hair and skin colors. Please! If I have a mother who has blue skin and green hair and a father with purple skin (which needs to be a thing) and pink hair, their toddler should not be a blonde or brunette. That doesn't make sense and I hate that all of the color options were completely left out for children. I love playing with berry sims.

I agree with above. PLEASE let them have unusual hair and skin colors to match the parents.

On another note: All these ideas on this thread are wonderful. Did anyone mention cake all over when they eat it on their first birthday. That would be cute. I love love the rocking chair idea, little kiddie pools, strollers, walkers, etc. I also loved the read to sleep in Sims 3. That never got old. Sharing a bottle if they are twins is also a cute idea.

Being able to run a preschool would be great. Little kids playing with blocks. I really love the three year old stage where they start to express themselves. So cute at that age. I love the bunny suit idea for Easter. Adorable.

I want to be able to choose their traits or random them. I want the traits to matter. Like evil toddlers maybe get in more trouble, write on walls etc, while good toddlers clean off the walls LOL. Something along those lines.

Reading through this thread makes me miss them more. I didn't think I cared that much but there are so many cute ideas. Like interactions with grandparents, awww. If only...