Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 'Not Responding' When I press play in origin It wont even launch

So I've been playing Sims 4 since about christmas time.
It's been playing smoothly no problem all along.
Then today out of the blue it just won't play. I press play in Origin and it opens but only opens this little box on the top left of my desktop, with an option to x out of it or minimize it. It claims to already be expanded, but if it was I'd be in the game, watching the plumbob start up and the EA symbols.
Nothing.
My only choice is to close it at which point it tells me that I might lose information and that it's not responding properly.

So I restarted my computer, same problem.
I chose the repair my game tool.
No difference.
I'm going to uninstall and reinstall it because I don't think I have a choice.
But if that doesn't work I think I might cry. I'm not sure what I did wrong or whether it's my fault.

I installed the Outdoor Retreat yesterday if that's relevant.... Maybe it's something to do with that?

Comments

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    many are reporting the origin in game is the problem see if this helps turn off game open origin select origin/application settings/origin in game and unselect origin in game and test the game again
  • Options
    heather_sims_eireannheather_sims_eireann Posts: 3 New Member
    thanks for the advice what exactly does that do?
  • Options
    heather_sims_eireannheather_sims_eireann Posts: 3 New Member
    oh it worked! thank goodness! i was getting worried, thank you so much
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    mmloveeeemmloveeee Posts: 1 New Member
    yuuup, its all problems with origin. "origin/application settings/origin in game and un-select origin in game and test the game again" fixed it right up. thank you for helping us all. (:
  • Options
    101Gamer101Gamer Posts: 131 Member
    Origin pls :/ Get ur shi together
    The Sims 4 is about Emotions and reduced CPU power consumption. Right?
    Also, complete agree with this.
  • Options
    Faith05201Faith05201 Posts: 245 Member
    Thank you ceejay402, and others :)
  • Options
    Pollyollie2Pollyollie2 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited March 2015
    I tried doing the same thing because my game also does the corner thing and won't start. But Origin won't let me un-click Origin in Game. The check box is grayed out. :/

EDIT: Never mind, I was silly and had the Sims in the corner open. After I exited the sims, I was able to check the box and the game is now working. <3
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2015
    I tried doing the same thing because my game also does the corner thing and won't start. But Origin won't let me un-click Origin in Game. The check box is grayed out. :/

Check to make sure the game has been fully exited, or isn't still trying to start.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

You may need to uninstall and reinstall origin but EA posted a fix try this first

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/INFO-Request-Games-not-opening-after-latest-Origin-update/m-p/4435504#U4435504
  • Options
    Ladyliberty1301Ladyliberty1301 Posts: 623 Member
    I just was having the same problem. Although I didn't check here before uninstalling. so now here I am re installing.
    origin/gallery Id is Snaffles1301
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
  • Options
    Emma-LeeXOXOEmma-LeeXOXO Posts: 549 Member
    OMG Thank you sweet baby Jesus. I was having a full blown panic attack since I was in the middle of a challenge, but you guys saved me, Thanks! The origin thing worked!
    sMggKkh.png

• Options
    mrsdiamond2025mrsdiamond2025 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > many are reporting the origin in game is the problem see if this helps turn off game open origin select origin/application settings/origin in game and unselect origin in game and test the game again

you are a lifesaver!! thank you! i was about to start crying - i tried everything i knew how to do & thankfully i ran across this post!! :blush:
  • Options
    MadibereMadibere Posts: 3 New Member
    Hey, can someone please help me? I've tried everything suggested in this forum and it is still doing it! :(
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Madibere wrote: »
    Hey, can someone please help me? I've tried everything suggested in this forum and it is still doing it! :(

Can you describe what your particular problem looks and behaves like?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    > @luthienrising said:
    > Madibere wrote: »
    >
    > Hey, can someone please help me? I've tried everything suggested in this forum and it is still doing it! :(
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Can you describe what your particular problem looks and behaves like?

Ok, sure. So basically when I press play I will wait for it to load then once it gets to wear it says The Sims 4, it pops up saying it is not responding and makes me close it.
  • Options
    Please reply asap I'm working on a project and I've tried everything I know! I'm so tired.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited May 2015
    Madibere wrote: »
    Please reply asap I'm working on a project and I've tried everything I know! I'm so tired.

You stated you have done everything. you have turned off origin in game, reset game, uninstalled and reinstalled origin, pulled cc and mods if you have any and tested the game. Cleaned out your inventory. If you have tried all that

Can you post you computer specs please

windows Key + R Key in the runbox type DxDiag, hit ok and save a copy of the text file to your desktop. Please copy and paste the text file in sections in several posts. The report will not fit in all one post its too large . Thank you

• Options
    kiwifrommarskiwifrommars Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, i tried literally everything to get the sims4 to run. my problem was initially that the installer stopped at 98%. I fixed that, but after that my game has the "not responding" issue before it even starts. i just see that little window at the left side of my screen. I will post my specs here , phoebebebe13, i hope you or someone else can help me with this problem.
  • Options
    kiwifrommarskiwifrommars Posts: 2 New Member
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 7/22/2015, 17:33:00
    Machine name: NIKKI_LAPTOP
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r9.150322-1500)
    Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
    System Manufacturer: LENOVO
    System Model: 3260EHG
    BIOS: Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.2
    Processor: AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3506MB RAM
    Page File: 2529MB used, 4561MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode
    DxDiag Previously: Crashed in Direct3D (stage 2). Re-running DxDiag with "dontskip" command line parameter or choosing not to bypass information gathering when prompted might result in DxDiag successfully obtaining this information

------------
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hi, i tried literally everything to get the sims4 to run. my problem was initially that the installer stopped at 98%. I fixed that, but after that my game has the "not responding" issue before it even starts. i just see that little window at the left side of my screen. I will post my specs here , phoebebebe13, i hope you or someone else can help me with this problem.

Hello @kiwifrommars.
    Have you tried turning off origin in-game ?
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/deactivate-origin-in-game/

Remove any mods/cc that you have and see if that helps.

Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

If you still have problems, post the rest of your DiaxDiag info. It will take multiple posts.
  • Options
    Jazzy6897Jazzy6897 Posts: 337 Member
    Hey guys I'm having a problem with my game too. Every time I double click The Sims 4 on my desktop, the mouse spins for a second, but then does nothing. And when I click the play button on the Sims 4 in Origin, it grays out for a couple of seconds but then does nothing. I've tried reinstalling Origin, unchecking Enable Origin in Game, running the game as administrator, repairing the game, and yeah pretty much everything. Is there anything else you guys suggest I do so that I can play my game again?
    Origin ID: Jazzy6897 Happy Simming! :)
  • Options
    Jazzy6897 wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm having a problem with my game too. Every time I double click The Sims 4 on my desktop, the mouse spins for a second, but then does nothing. And when I click the play button on the Sims 4 in Origin, it grays out for a couple of seconds but then does nothing. I've tried reinstalling Origin, unchecking Enable Origin in Game, running the game as administrator, repairing the game, and yeah pretty much everything. Is there anything else you guys suggest I do so that I can play my game again?

Hello @Jazzy6897.

Shut down your computer completely. Start the computer again, then log in to origin and see if that helps

If you have any mods/cc remove them and see if that helps.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then try to start the game. If you can start the game, a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Start a new game and test to see if the game is working okay. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders, testing after replacing each one to see how the game is working.

• Options
    Jazzy6897Jazzy6897 Posts: 337 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @Jazzy6897.

Shut down your computer completely. Start the computer again, then log in to origin and see if that helps

Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then try to start the game. If you can start the game, a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Start a new game and test to see if the game is working okay. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders, testing after replacing each one to see how the game is working.

Okay so I reset the Sims 4 folder and my game was working again! But none of the mods/custom content I downloaded was there which was pretty upsetting. So I added all of my cc into the new folder that was created and now the game isn't working again. So I'm thinking that's the problem. I know you already said to delete the custom content and mods to see if it helps, but I adore it so much. Do you think there's a way to keep all or most of it (because there's kind of a lot, lol) and still get the game to work? If not, I'll just delete it. :(

Origin ID: Jazzy6897 Happy Simming! :)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    rosemow wrote: »

Hello @Jazzy6897.

Okay so I reset the Sims 4 folder and my game was working again! But none of the mods/custom content I downloaded was there which was pretty upsetting. So I added all of my cc into the new folder that was created and now the game isn't working again. So I'm thinking that's the problem. I know you already said to delete the custom content and mods to see if it helps, but I adore it so much. Do you think there's a way to keep all or most of it (because there's kind of a lot, lol) and still get the game to work? If not, I'll just delete it. :(

Yes, you will be able to keep most of your mods and cc. Move your mods/cc back out of the mods folder again, then put your mods/CC back into the mods folder one by one or in batches, then start the game and test to see which is the cause of the problem.

Because you have a lot of mods/cc, use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    If the game doesn't work with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing problems. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.

You can then work out which cc/mods are causing the issue, and can keep the ones that aren't causing the problem.