Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Everyone talks about TS2 and I have a question about TS2

Everyone, ok, not everyone... just a lot of simmers, talks about TS2 and I did play it once a long, long time ago... So I though I'd take another look at it. But I've run into a bit of a problem. I'm hoping some one of you will be able to point me in the right direction.

I didn't have the old disk available, so I bought The Sims 2 Deluxe and some collections on Amazon. Got it all installed, but the launcher fails every time. I've tried it with all the cds, one at a time with the same result. Is there anyway to bypass the launcher? I know you can with TS3 and it doesn't require a mod to do so, as long as you link to the proper game executable. (Not that I'm adverse to a mod, if there is one.)

Any help gratefully accepted!

Mylita
No friends requests, please.

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited June 2014
    Have you tried right clicking on the icon and tried compatibility mode?
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,099 Member
    edited June 2014
    It's not the launcher per se that is the problem. It's the fact that the launcher is trying to connect to the Sims 2 site which no longer exists. Turn your internet access off temporarily while you play, it should launch fine.

That's what I do because it takes 2 seconds to do with no searching, since the wireless thing is on my task bar. If you'd rather not do that you can just go find the .exe of your latest expansion and double click it. That should skip the launcher.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    PixelRainbowPixelRainbow Posts: 865 Member
    edited June 2014
    This happened to me as well :( Apparently it happened from last August as they put a web page on the launcher, and it hasn't been fixed since. I get mine to work by either double clicking play before it gets a chance to crash, or I disconnect from the internet, and that seems to make it work as well
  • Options
    Snakefire30Snakefire30 Posts: 473 Member
    edited June 2014
    The Sims 2 launcher has been borked recently and hasn't been working for anyone.

There isn't a mod, but there is a way to bypass:

http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Bypassing_Bon_Voyage_Launcher

Which EP you use is based one which is the latest you have that was released. EP7.exe is Freetime, EP8.exe is Apartment Life and EP9.exe is Mansions and Gardens (even though its called a stuff pack, it works like a mini-EP).
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited June 2014
    I wish I could help you....I'm playing The Sims 2 now actually...Perhaps you could use the .exe file to launch it?
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited June 2014
    YES I HAVE JUST FIGURED THIS ONE OUT MYSELF on my own go to the last ep or stuff pack you have installed right clicl on game icon and go to properties click on each tab until you see open with launcher then delete that, and the next time you open your game the sims bin will appear then double click simsep what ever the last ep you installed then your game will play wonderfully.. I figured this out on my own so im sorry if it sounds a bit complicated but its not let me know if you need more help
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    Mylita wrote:
    Everyone, ok, not everyone... just a lot of simmers, talks about TS2 and I did play it once a long, long time ago... So I though I'd take another look at it. But I've run into a bit of a problem. I'm hoping some one of you will be able to point me in the right direction.

I didn't have the old disk available, so I bought The Sims 2 Deluxe and some collections on Amazon. Got it all installed, but the launcher fails every time. I've tried it with all the cds, one at a time with the same result. Is there anyway to bypass the launcher? I know you can with TS3 and it doesn't require a mod to do so, as long as you link to the proper game executable. (Not that I'm adverse to a mod, if there is one.)

Any help gratefully accepted!

Mylita

Mansion and Gardens is the last SP for TS2. If you have that one then you must start the game with that one. You can bypass the launchers for the any of the TS2 games that came with launchers. In the TS Bin (in the program files for the game or EP or SP) for any particular EP or SP you have installed is the .EXE file which you can just click to send to your desktop and use it to start the game. The launchers in the later TS2 EPs and SPs were very buggy and need bypassed anyway.

Come back if you need more help. I hope this doesn't get deleted too since it's not about the TS4.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks all! Disconnecting from the internet worked! I was able to go into the game and create a sim and her cat. It seemed so primitive by comparison to TS3. LOL

Will try again later.

Mylita
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2014
    So that's what that is? I always tried to hurry up and click play, lol. Now I know to just turn off my wireless connection before I play.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited June 2014
    I just click play very quickly before the launcher disappears.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    10462942_10202223883145197_3317724548036197170_n_zps2e0b114e.jpg
    this is a couple that I just finished creating, and building their house.. you will love this game once you get into it much easier tp play and the sims are so much smarter
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    10435121_10202223886705286_2214685032550560128_n_zpsc919e0f9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    10492534_10202223883585208_4364875807103610527_n_zpseefcb3a2.jpg
    a little house I put together for them
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited June 2014
    Yes! Yes! Yes!

I play it right now using a desktop shortcut. It's easy to do, I'll look for the exact directions because you do have to get it exactly right but once you do - piece of cake.

The sims 2 Launcher is broken, do not use it.

Directions or link coming soon.

Edit: To make desktop shortcut icon for sims 2:

Right Click Most Current Expansion Pack Desktop icon.

Mine is apartment life which is EP8. (I have mansions and Garden but it has a virus or something so I did not install it)

After you right click the icon choose "Open File Location"

(Depending on your most current EP or SP, you will have to determine which is the higher number)

So apartment Life is EP8

Sims2EP8 "create shortcut to Desktop"

Under "properties when right clicked will read "TSBin Sims2EP8.exe"

***very important - must end with .exe, if not you didn't copy it right

If you highlight and copy and paste it works best .

That's IT!

You now have a desktop icon that reads "Sims2EP8 shortcut"

When right clicked and "properties , it reads "The Sims 2 Apartment Life / TSBin / Sims2 EP8.exe"

Make sure to "X" out of the Launcher, do not click on it!

Then just use the new shortcut to start sims 2, and the disc has to be in the DVD or CD drive.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Deshong04 wrote:
    So that's what that is? I always tried to hurry up and click play, lol. Now I know to just turn off my wireless connection before I play.
    u don't need to turn off your wireless. just go into properties of the game you are playing and delete open with launcher
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited June 2014
    Bump for my edited directions 1 page back, because this forum is moving crazy fast tonight!
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks! I followed your directions zorba2357 and it works like magic! No need to disconnect the internet!! I am so pleased. I did this with TS3 too, but had no idea where to find the proper .exe. So far, TS2 seems pretty primitive cas wise and all, but going to keep trying. It is worth it, what with all the stuff that is happening to TS4. I want to be sure I can live with the major limitations given how much will not be in TS4.

Mylita
  • Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited June 2014
    Here's some pics of my game I'm currently playing.

ScreenShot005_zps94b67885.jpg

ScreenShot011_zpsbb246ab3.jpg

ScreenShot012_zps3269c9c7.jpg

ScreenShot006_zpsa589a0c8.jpg

ScreenShot009_zps5cd583dc.jpg

ScreenShot016_zps4a52eb76.jpg
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited June 2014

I don't understand but sometimes I think I probably have a slight reading comprehension/learning disability. Some things that should be easy to follow are not so easy for me to grasp. And suddenly I made myself feel depressed.... :roll:
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2014
    i currently have a 8 length legacy running on my sims 2 and havent played it for so long lol (opps i mean 8 as in,8 kids now having grand kids-not 8 depth in the tree XD)
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    alexandrea wrote:
    Here's some pics of my game I'm currently playing.

ScreenShot005_zps94b67885.jpg

ScreenShot011_zpsbb246ab3.jpg

ScreenShot012_zps3269c9c7.jpg

ScreenShot006_zpsa589a0c8.jpg

ScreenShot009_zps5cd583dc.jpg

ScreenShot016_zps4a52eb76.jpg
    the cutest pics how did you get the babies to hug omg!!! how precious
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2014
    Just wanted to give alittle hint or cheat lol

if you have a sim that suddenly goes into labor or giving birth,pause the game then save it.once the birth is over,if you are wanting a different gender or skin tone,just go to the neighborhood and reload the house.you can keep doing this till your happy with the baby. (that is if your playing with no mods or anything but just normal game)
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Just wanted to give alittle hint or cheat lol

if you have a sim that suddenly goes into labor or giving birth,pause the game then save it.once the birth is over,if you are wanting a different gender or skin tone,just go to the neighborhood and reload the house.you can keep doing this till your happy with the baby. (that is if your playing with no mods or anything but just normal game)
    That's cool ill try that. ..
  • Options
    ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited June 2014

That's what I do.
    keep on keepin' on
  • Options
    MiamineMiamine Posts: 731 Member
    edited June 2014
    chider1234 wrote:

That's what I do.
    Thank you so much for putting up this help thing. My game wouldn't launch anymore, even by clicking quickly. They updated something and now launcher says "go buy Sims 4" and then it crashes.

Now all is working again (via bypass launcher) thanks to you simmers on this board. :D
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.