May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

what happens to this site when

I have a question , what will happen to this site when sims 4 comes out. I mean I know people wont just quit playing sims 3 . I mean im still gonna play sims 3 even when sims 4 is out.
the reason im asking is because there are some sets im saving to get before then ( but that's not going well).

(just a noob with a curious question)

Comments

• Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,206 Member
    edited August 2013
    Chances are, it'll still be around for a while.

Like with Sims 2. It took a few years for its site to go down when 3 came out, and even then, not many people still went on it anyway.

Basically, it'll probably take a few years for this site to go down, as well.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    plantina21plantina21 Posts: 211 Member
    edited August 2013
    ah okay then . cause I have like four sets and a couple items I want to get . I figured I would get the sets and items I wanted and the hunker down and wait for sims 4 .

( my sis wants me to post an items help request, but I don't want to keep bothering people. that and it sounds like begging. )
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited August 2013
    plantina21 wrote:
    ah okay then . cause I have like four sets and a couple items I want to get . I figured I would get the sets and items I wanted and the hunker down and wait for sims 4 .

( my sis wants me to post an items help request, but I don't want to keep bothering people. that and it sounds like begging. )

There has been a lot of sales going on lately with EA, Perhaps your sets will show up. What sets are you looking for.?
  • Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    edited August 2013
    Brand new forums with brand new accounts or it's going to be one login for everything?
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Evalen wrote:
    plantina21 wrote:

There has been a lot of sales going on lately with EA, Perhaps your sets will show up. What sets are you looking for.?

the big ones I really want are :

storybook
    bayside
    Edwardian kitchen
    province
    gothic
    once I have enough points I'll get them but all I have right now is 50 points
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I have a question but idk if anybody will answer it here or if I have to post it somewhere else.

Say sims 4 is out and the sims 3 site is gone , my computer gets a virus and crashes.
    How would I get my stuff back that I got from the sims 3 store then.
    I mean I would have the disks and such but Im curious about my store bought items like storybook and Riverview?
    How could I get those back would I be able too?

• Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,335 Member
    edited September 2013
    plantina21 wrote:
    I have a question but idk if anybody will answer it here or if I have to post it somewhere else.

Say sims 4 is out and the sims 3 site is gone , my computer gets a virus and crashes.
    I mean I would have the disks and such but Im curious about my store bought items like storybook and Riverview?

The best thing to do is make a back up copy of all of the store stuff that you own on a flashdrive. Or take a blank cd and burn your store stuff, worlds and anything that you have downloaded from the exchange on to it. Then that way if and when the site finally shuts down, you could still have everything that you downloaded from the site.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    lisasc360 wrote:
    plantina21 wrote:

ball

The best thing to do is make a back up copy of all of the store stuff that you own on a flashdrive. Or take a blank cd and burn your store stuff, worlds and anything that you have downloaded from the exchange on to it. Then that way if and when the site finally shuts down, you could still have everything that you downloaded from the site.

So basically it would be like moving things from one computer to the next with a flash drive or cd
    What files would those be I know there's the world, saves , library ....
    And I just make a copy of those folders right?
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,335 Member
    edited September 2013
    plantina21 wrote:
    lisasc360 wrote:
    plantina21 wrote:

ball

So basically it would be like moving things from one computer to the next with a flash drive or cd
    What files would those be I know there's the world, saves , library ....
    And I just make a copy of those folders right?

I also believe it would be the downloads folder. I haven't tried to save yet but I'm pretty sure that you would need to do the downloads folder.

Here is a couple of links that I found that might be of some help.
    Hope these help... :)
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,412.0.htmlhttp://mattkendrick.com/gaming/how-to-backup-sims-3-game-data/
  • Options
    RealmeangoldfishRealmeangoldfish Posts: 48 Member
    edited September 2013
    I suspect it will die of neglect.
    That is what happened/is happening to the TS2 site. It makes no sense. One would think they could drive sales and advertising to their other titles. Not to mention, what revenue stream they could use to advertise other non sims related products.

If EA would rent me the site after they decide to not emphasize it; I am sure I could make a living running by myself.... and I have no background in web design, site maintainence etc.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,090 Member
    edited September 2013
    I don't even want to think about it, I'll no longer be able to download my $600 worth of store items.Its annoying that I have to install everything to back it up.It takes forever:/ I don't plan on going to TS4, due to the horrible looking graphics, the lack of exchange and lack of create a style.

I hope this site stays for a while so I can at least figure out how to protect my store items.

I don't see why their releasing new items when the game is ending.I too have a lot of sets to get.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited September 2013
    I was concerned about that myself a couple of days ago. Other games I've bought and downloaded only save the downloader to my computer, so if they ever took those games off the original site, I could never install them again. So I did some checking, as everything Sims 3 related I've bought was a download. And I was happy to find that the folders in My Documents for the installation of the base game and my EPs and SP contain the actual installation files, not just a downloader. I got all of them from Amazon.

Everything I've downloaded from the store or the exchange is in the Downloads folder inside the Sims 3 folder. It's a very simple matter to back up any of these files. I don't have a lot of them, so it won't take me so long to do that as it will for those of you who have everything, or nearly everything. But if you want to protect your investment in this game and keep playing even once EA removes the Sims 3 from Origin, like as someone posted that they recently did with the Sims 2, it would be well worth your time. And I'd do it sooner rather than later, because you never know for sure what might happen or when.
  • Options
    AxelTaylor01AxelTaylor01 Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2013
    If you want to know how to back up your store items this is how you do it.

For those without cc.
    1. Open you game launcher, delete all previous downloads in the download section, not the uninstall section (Note this will not delete these items from your game).
    2. Go to your purchase history and re-download everything.
    3. Check the box in any download, it doesn't matter which. Go to the bottom and click on the button that says "Show in File Location" (or something like that, I'm remembering this off the top of my head).
    4. Once you're in your file location select all the items. Then right click and select copy.
    5. Go to your flash drive or cd location and select paste (this will probably take a few minutes depending on how much store content you have).
    6. Select one or two items from the flash drive or cd and install them to make sure it works properly (if that item is already installed it doesn't matter, the game should recognize that fact and not reinstall it again, but this process proves it works properly).

For those WITH cc. Not package files
    1. Open your game launcher, go to your download section,check the box in any download, it doesn't matter which. Go to the bottom and click on the button that says "Show in File Location" (or something like that, I'm remembering this off the top of my head).
    2. Once in the file location select all the items, right click and select cut.
    3. Create a folder in a place you will remember it (a good place is your desktop) and paste the files in this folder.
    4. Follow the above steps 1-5.
    5. Go to the folder you created and placed your cc in. Select all the items again and once again right click and select cut.
    6. Paste your cc back into the file it came from (Documents -> Electronic Arts -> Sims 3 -> Downloads).
    7. Select one or two items from the flash drive or cd and install them to make sure it works properly (if that item is already installed it doesn't matter, the game should recognize that fact and not reinstall it again, but this process proves it works properly).