Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the Retro Model T Dining Chair still unusable? Solved!

My sims won't use it - they just complain and say that there's something in the way.

Thumbnail_300x300_zps222194af.png

Comments

• Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited April 2013
    Uninstall, redownload and reinstall. It's been fixed.
  • Options
    Krisha880Krisha880 Posts: 1,553 Member
    edited April 2013
    Excellent - thank you! :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    MrHawk wrote:
    Uninstall, redownload and reinstall. It's been fixed.

Ok, so this is a bit embarrassing, but I did all of the above and the chair is still unusable. What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    TinaG1947TinaG1947 Posts: 1,113 Member
    edited April 2013
    Make sure you are uninstalling it using the launcher, if that isn't how you did it before. If that doesn't work, then I am stumped. :?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yes - I did delete it (that's the same as uninstalling - right?), using the launcher, and I have all the store updates as far as I know.
  • Options
    darrqqrraddarrqqrrad Posts: 446 Member
    edited April 2013
    Hello :o)
    The chair doesn't work in my game either.

Just went and checked.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    darrqqrrad wrote:
    The chair doesn't work in my game either.

Just went and checked.

Thank you for checking! I'm sorry it doesn' work in your game either.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Actually, you cannot just delete it. All the downloads from the store go into one or another of the big files in a game folder named DCCache, so in order to actually 'uninstall' something, you have to check mark the box next to it in the installer and then press the 'uninstall' button. If you just delete it from the launcher, the item is still mixed in with one the those files inside the DCCache folder. :shock:

I don't know how to get it out if the file has been deleted from your computer. If it went into your recycle bin, you can open that and then right click on the file and choose 'restore'. Then you can open the launcher and do the method I described above.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    TinaG1947 wrote:
    Actually, you cannot just delete it. All the downloads from the store go into one or another of the big files in a game folder named DCCache, so in order to actually 'uninstall' something, you have to check mark the box next to it in the installer and then press the 'uninstall' button. If you just delete it from the launcher, the item is still mixed in with one the those files inside the DCCache folder. :shock:

I don't know how to get it out if the file has been deleted from your computer. If it went into your recycle bin, you can open that and then right click on the file and choose 'restore'. Then you can open the launcher and do the method I described above.

The problem is that I can only find the set in the "Downloads" in the Launcher and not in the "Installed Content", so I only have the option to delete the set and not uninstall it. Most of the store content I have is only in the "Downloads" section of the Launcher. Sorry if it's a bit unclear - english is not my first language.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hmmm, I don't understand why you cannot see it in the 'installed content' portion of the launcher because it should be there. Maybe you just missed it because I know from experience that a LOT of stuff can build up in there.

I wish I could say something more to help, but I am stumped on this. It may be possible to do a system restore from a time just before you deleted the chair from your launcher.

Oh yeah... if you bought the chair as a whole set and you can see the set in the installed content section,*brain fart* (missed where you said you cannot see the set. Actually the set may show up in all its seperate parts in the installed content section, so look again very carefully.

Whatever the case, I hope you get it sorted soon. I know it sux to have something wrong with your game. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I just want to add ...
    People that have all the store items ... will not be able to see everything in the launcher.
    So .. if you can't see it ... you can not uninstall it.

They need to upgrade the installer to accommodate the huge amount of items and sets.

Or .. we could always have to start a vanilla game and reinstall everything :o(
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I don't buy a lot of sets, but I do have many single items because I like to pick and choose. Does that mean there's no way I can get the chair to work? :?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm sorry ..
    I have no idea on how to fix it.

Other than start with a vanilla game and reinstall :o(
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    As I said before, look at your installed content again very carefully because you may have just missed it before.

Also, as darrqqrrad said, you can always force your game to make a new Sims 3 folder by removing the one you have now and starting up the game. Before doing that, make sure to save your 'saved games' folder, 'saved sims' folder and any other things you want to keep by cutting and then pasting them to a safe place, like your desktop or something.

Then you can redownload all your store stuff, put your saved games, etc back in and you should be good to go.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thank you guys!
    I guess I have to uninstall, redownload and install everything again, just to get that chair to work :(
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hey, do not uninstall your game whatever you do! All you need to do is to cut and paste your Sims 3 folder (the one in your documents folder) onto your desktop. Then start up the game. It will regenerate a new Sims 3 folder. Quit the game.

THEN, all you have to do is to open the Sims 3 folder you saved to your desktop and put your saved games, etc back into your new Sims 3 folder. Don't play until you have redownloaded and installed all your store stuff, etc.

After that, you should be able to start up the game and play as if nothing ever happened, with everything, hopefully working. I wish ya the best of luck! Let us know how it goes. :)
  • Options
    SimbolicSimbolic Posts: 925 Member
    edited April 2013
    I've had problems finding stuff to uninstall, but this has worked for me - sometimes.

Go & download just the chair from the store & install it.
    You'll get the message that it's already installed, but it should then show up in the installed folder.

90% of the time this works for me, but sometimes I can't find the chair (or whatever) anyway.

If you have found it, you should be able to uninstall it & install it again without changing anything else.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Well, I am checking back to see if you got things sorted out. I hope so and that you are now happily simming again.
  • Options
    pegasas1993pegasas1993 Posts: 4,856 Member
    edited April 2013
    Just give a try to uninstall that chair (set) this way:

1. Remove old .Sims3Pack copy of that chair (set) from your launcher (DOWNLOADS category) [delete glitched .Sims3Pack]
    2. Re-download that chair (set) [get working .Sims3Pack]
    3. Install that chair (set) [force to appear glitched chair (set) on INSTALLED CONTENT category]
    4. Go to INSTALLED CONTENT category and uninstall that chair (set) [remove glitched chair (set) from your game]
    5. Re-install that chair (set) again [install fixed version of your chair (set)]

Hope it helps. Have a good day today!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2013
    Deleting IS NOT uninstalling. It is still installed if it was not uninstalled. Deleting just removes the item from the download folder - after installing content you can delete everything in your download folder and it will not affect things installed. I always remove all content from the download folder - then once you have successfully actually uninstalled the item, clean your cache files other wise if may hold the bad chairs in their - so that is a very important step after you uninstall ANYTHING in the game - from EA stuff to mods, otherwise it will still be in the game or parts of it and can on it's own reinstall the content.

Then when properly uninstalled, caches cleaned - reboot pc to get the slate cleaned before you go to purchase history and redownload the fixed version, then install that one, and it should work. I have those chairs so I know they work fine.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    perfectvelvetperfectvelvet Posts: 739 Member
    edited April 2013
    I actually have the same problem as the OP. My chair does not work. I have the updated chair because I did a clean reinstall of all of the expansions and stuff packs prior to University Life being released. I did not save a folder of store items; I redownloaded the ones that I wanted (it also helped me filter out some of the stuff I didn't use).

So I have the "fixed" chair but it's not actually fixed.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I started a VANILLA game.

No mods.

The only thing I downloaded from the store was this chair.

It is unusable.

If it was fixed at some point .. it is broken again.

If a store GURU reads this could you check this chair for us??
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited April 2013
    Hi, everyone. I just wanted to let you know I was having trouble with this chair working as well. Just now I uninstalled the dining chair from the launcher. I went into my game and re-installed it from shop mode in the game.

When I placed the chair in my house, I was able to use it. Darrqqrrad and PerfectVelvet, I don't know why it didn't work for you.

Thank you to all of you who instructed us how to get it to work again. I hope everyone who can't use it is able to find a way to get it to work in their game.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thank you all so much for trying to help me!
    Just give a try to uninstall that chair (set) this way:

1. Remove old .Sims3Pack copy of that chair (set) from your launcher (DOWNLOADS category) [delete glitched .Sims3Pack]
    2. Re-download that chair (set) [get working .Sims3Pack]
    3. Install that chair (set) [force to appear glitched chair (set) on INSTALLED CONTENT category]
    4. Go to INSTALLED CONTENT category and uninstall that chair (set) [remove glitched chair (set) from your game]
    5. Re-install that chair (set) again [install fixed version of your chair (set)]

Hope it helps. Have a good day today!

I did step 1-4, cleaned caches and rebooted my pc. However, when I looked in my downloads folder the file was still there. It seems that the file remains in the downloads folder even when my launcher tells me that I have successfully uninstalled the file.
  • Options
    SimbolicSimbolic Posts: 925 Member
    edited April 2013
    Unless you select it from the downloads list & delete the item (or go into the folder & delete it manually) it will stay in your downloads folder.

Uninstalling an item does not remove it from the downloads folder.