Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hope ive done the right thing?

Maybe im crazy. I used to adore the sims, from the sims 1, the sims 2, and then i found the sims 3 itsself a complete dissapointment and stopped playing the series completely a few months ago, but i admit, i keep coming back to the community page to see what's going on, ambitions certainly got my attention but im not even thinking of touching it until the bugs are fixed.

Im sorry for telling you my life story, but i think the reason im doing this is for a distraction- my mapping dissertation starts in two days, and im terrified, so ive just impulse bought world adventures, just to see if i can rekindle a love of the sims, and when i come back from new zeland in 6 weeks, maybe the bugs will be gone and i can get ambitions too.

So basically, someone tell me ive done the right thing!!

Lizzie

Comments

• Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited June 2010
    You know, I felt the same way when I first started playing the Sims 3. It felt like it was nothing new; just some updated graphics and the ability to move around town without loading screens. I felt this way until the expansion packs started coming out. World Adventures livened it up a bit, I must admit. You'll enjoy going through the different tombs, and having a vacation house is great for building skills without your sim aging while they're in another country. It feels like you're playing Tomb Raider without the guns.

Now with Ambitions out, I've discovered I'm really into the Sims 3 now. I even started up the Sims 2 a little while ago and was all teed off on loading screens, dirty diapers, lawn care, not knowing how a sim is reacting to my sim, etc etc.

I know it just came out, but since I've gotten Ambitions, I don't think the sims 1 and 2 will ever appease my appetite anymore for simming. In spite of its glitches, Ambitions creates an addicting game play. WA is nice, but you only experience it when you go to the other countries; now it's like that even in your own neighborhood.

I think you did the right thing. The Sims 3 base game was lacking so much, now the two expansion packs have filled it out a little bit to be more well rounded.
    Try WA to see if you like it and can rekindle the flame that is sims. 8)
  • Options
    ChristianM0mmyChristianM0mmy Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2010
    (A bit of my life story, lol)

My first sims experience was the guided game console versions. I fell in love, but knew I was missing something from the pc version. So, I finally got a computer big enough and started with Sims 2 just before Pets came out. I fell in love, but was missing the guided parts. I don't seem to be creative enough to just have sims go about their lives.

Then the Life Stories came out and I loved those! But those were separate from my sims I had.

WA has given me goals and tasks that totally relieve the humdrum work/eat/pee/sleep/work/eat/pee syndrome. I use the cheats so my sims don't have to sleep or pee or eat, just so they can deal with kids, fishing, gardening and skills, but now, there is a whole new world (3 actually) that gives me goals other than "potty train baby" or "see child age up well".

My only regret is that having multiple sims play through the adventures, after the first, they don't reset and spawn the items again. There is a work around, but I think this is backwards from the point of the game. I'm sure most people play more than one family, or at least more than one generation.

When I came to a point where I got further in the adventures with one family than the previous one, the rooms would not spawn anything...no furniture, relics, tables or chests. I ended up uninstalling everything and starting over with a brand new game. A whole year of playing lost.

I ADORE WA, but the replay value stinks. It seems that unless you can complete every single adventure in one vacation (which we all know is impossible) leaving and coming back has serious problems. I could be all wrong, haven't searched enough for the answers, but what fun is playing when you spend more time googling solutions than playing?
  • Options
    Kelly3221Kelly3221 Posts: 905 New Member
    edited June 2010
    (A bit of my life story, lol)

My first sims experience was the guided game console versions. I fell in love, but knew I was missing something from the pc version. So, I finally got a computer big enough and started with Sims 2 just before Pets came out. I fell in love, but was missing the guided parts. I don't seem to be creative enough to just have sims go about their lives.

Then the Life Stories came out and I loved those! But those were separate from my sims I had.

WA has given me goals and tasks that totally relieve the humdrum work/eat/pee/sleep/work/eat/pee syndrome. I use the cheats so my sims don't have to sleep or pee or eat, just so they can deal with kids, fishing, gardening and skills, but now, there is a whole new world (3 actually) that gives me goals other than "potty train baby" or "see child age up well".

My only regret is that having multiple sims play through the adventures, after the first, they don't reset and spawn the items again. There is a work around, but I think this is backwards from the point of the game. I'm sure most people play more than one family, or at least more than one generation.

When I came to a point where I got further in the adventures with one family than the previous one, the rooms would not spawn anything...no furniture, relics, tables or chests. I ended up uninstalling everything and starting over with a brand new game. A whole year of playing lost.

I ADORE WA, but the replay value stinks. It seems that unless you can complete every single adventure in one vacation (which we all know is impossible) leaving and coming back has serious problems. I could be all wrong, haven't searched enough for the answers, but what fun is playing when you spend more time googling solutions than playing?

I agree with you. WA definitely adds something new to the game.
    I've also experienced the issue with the tombs not resetting. :/
  • Options
    SmeeliaSmeelia Posts: 2,334 New Member
    edited June 2010

That sounds like an unusual bug, rather than getting rid of your families and progress you can export your sims and their homes into a new game. Even if you're exporting a few households it should work without problems (unless there actually is something corrupted in your files and that would affect every game anyway). Any sims you export lose relationships with sims outside of their household (including family relationships) so that's a bit of a downside but they'll keep skills, adventure progress, inventory and so forth.

I've gone through pretty much all of the adventures on several trips with the same sim and haven't really encountered any major problems, it does depend a bit on how lucky you are and it certainly helps to know what to look out for. Still, the bugs are quite annoying and you shouldn't really have to make the effort to avoid them because they shouldn't really be there.

Here's a post on resetting tombs for those that are interested:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/212224.page#2598307

I enjoy WA. The adventures are fun, the locations are fairly nice, the extra collectibles are good if you're interested in that sort of thing and the Tomb Building functions are great fun to mess about with (although they're a hidden feature, you can find information about them on the forums and such). To the original poster, hopefully you have made the right decision and will find plenty to enjoy :).
  • Options
    seaweedyseaweedy Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited June 2010
    Smeelia helped me very much with the suggestion to export my sims to a new neighborhood. Here are the steps which Smeelia provided in an earlier thread:

"What you want to do is go to edit town while you're at your home neighbourhood and select the lot your household is in, choose export household to library (or it might be to bin, I forget) and choose "household with house" (or just "household" if you want). You will probably get a message about it needing to cancel all interactions for all sims, just okay that. Once it's done you should be able to find a copy of your household in the families or occupied lots sections of the bin in the bottom right. Repeat the same process for any other sims you want to export and then start a new game and place all the households you exported into the new world using edit town. The sims will lose any relationship and family tree information for sims they weren't exported with so if you had a brother in one house and his sister living next door they wont realise that they're related but if they were both in the same house they would still be listed as relatives. You shouldn't really lose anything else I don't think, inventory, skills and items should all be intact."
    Smeelia, it is my hope that you will eventually play Ambitions so I can benefit from you expert advice with that EP, as well!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    seaweedy wrote:
    Smeelia helped me very much with the suggestion to export my sims to a new neighborhood.

I just stole the idea from Jaghar7 really :).
    seaweedy wrote:
    Smeelia, it is my hope that you will eventually play Ambitions so I can benefit from you expert advice with that EP, as well!

Careful, I might get a big head :). I did actually buy Ambitions but my computer broke just before it arrived (does that mean Ambitions broke my computer? Maybe :)), I managed to play briefly but another problem delayed me a bit more. I should be able to get started with it today so I'm looking forward to that :).
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Smeelia wrote:

That sounds like an unusual bug, rather than getting rid of your families and progress you can export your sims and their homes into a new game. Even if you're exporting a few households it should work without problems (unless there actually is something corrupted in your files and that would affect every game anyway). Any sims you export lose relationships with sims outside of their household (including family relationships) so that's a bit of a downside but they'll keep skills, adventure progress, inventory and so forth.

I've gone through pretty much all of the adventures on several trips with the same sim and haven't really encountered any major problems, it does depend a bit on how lucky you are and it certainly helps to know what to look out for. Still, the bugs are quite annoying and you shouldn't really have to make the effort to avoid them because they shouldn't really be there.

Here's a post on resetting tombs for those that are interested:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/212224.page#2598307

I enjoy WA. The adventures are fun, the locations are fairly nice, the extra collectibles are good if you're interested in that sort of thing and the Tomb Building functions are great fun to mess about with (although they're a hidden feature, you can find information about them on the forums and such). To the original poster, hopefully you have made the right decision and will find plenty to enjoy :).

I did save the entire backup. I played the Goths and Bella's family. I swapped between them so that when Mort and Bella got married, she would not be totally without skills. I got WA when I was playing Bella's family. So when I went back to the Goth's I wanted Mort to have a high visa also...but then I was not able to play several of the adventures because of the tombs not spawning. I saved after them though, so I am not sure if manually resetting the countries would work.

Don't get me wrong, Brum, I really do love the EP. Not everyone has problems like I did, so I don't mean to deter you from playing or regretting your decision (and I don't want to take over your post, lol). You will adore the EP.

Maybe I can start my own post to get help with my problems. When I restarted the game, I have not taken the new family on vacation for fear of messing things up when I decide to go after the Goth's again.

(here is where I was asking for help for the not spawning problem: http://nene.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=393664 )

Edited to say thanks to those who have offered suggestions, didn't mean to sound as if I didn't care, just didn't wanna overtake OP's thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I did save the entire backup. I played the Goths and Bella's family. I swapped between them so that when Mort and Bella got married, she would not be totally without skills. I got WA when I was playing Bella's family. So when I went back to the Goth's I wanted Mort to have a high visa also...but then I was not able to play several of the adventures because of the tombs not spawning. I saved after them though, so I am not sure if manually resetting the countries would work.

There's a bug that prevents sims from interacting with anything while in tombs, you may be experiencing something similar. Press ctrl+shift+c then type "resetsim [name]" (without quotes and using the name of your sim in full including spaces) while you're on the lot, that might help (your sim should teleport to base camp and hopefully the items will appear the next time you visit). Since you're having the problem everywhere resetting the entire location could be more effective, it might be worth a try (it wouldn't hurt to make a backup copy of your game somewhere safe before trying it, just incase).

If you do reset the location it wont reset your adventure progress so you may find yourself stuck without particular keystones or with areas locked that you need open to progress. You should be able to deal with each of those problems individually though, editing the tombs would probably be the easiest option and here's a post that should give you most of the information you'd need for that (it was posted about something else but it includes all the cheats and such you should need):
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/60/126723.page#2561815
    Don't get me wrong, Brum, I really do love the EP. Not everyone has problems like I did, so I don't mean to deter you from playing or regretting your decision (and I don't want to take over your post, lol). You will adore the EP.

I suppose it is better to post in a new thread for something unrelated to the main topic but I never worry too much about going off on tangents :).
    When I restarted the game, I have not taken the new family on vacation for fear of messing things up when I decide to go after the Goth's again.

It might be worth at least testing to see if you encounter the same problem again, it's an odd one and I can't remember hearing of anyone having it before so it may have been a one-off occurence. The main piece of advice for anyone playing WA (and something I should have mentioned earlier really) is to use the "Save As..." option to keep at least two saves for each game and to make sure that one of them is always in the home neighbourhood so you can go back to it if you have problems. You could use "Save As..." to make a backup save then try travelling with one family and then switch to the other to see if you have the problem again, if it seems to be working okay then you can keep playing that way and see how it goes (it wouldn't hurt to keep the original backup in addition to the two saves you should keep for the game though, just incase).
    (here is where I was asking for help for the not spawning problem: http://nene.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=393664)

In that thread you mention that you had an issue with a sim being stuck in their house and unable to invite you in, using the resetsim cheat I mentioned earlier should resolve that (you'd need to know the name of the stuck sim though so you can use it with the cheat) or you could place another sim into the house using Edit Town mode and they could let you in (that should also let you find out the name of the stuck sim if you can find them in the house).

Anyway, sorry for going on a bit but I hope something there helps :). If you encounter the problem again then let us know on here and we might be able to think of something. I'm wondering if it might be a bug that's stopping the Tomb Fog function from working properly (so it's hiding objects in tombs even when you're in the room), I did notice that objects outside of the tomb rooms in your picture were still visible.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Smeelia wrote:
    Anyway, sorry for going on a bit but I hope something there helps :). If you encounter the problem again then let us know on here and we might be able to think of something. I'm wondering if it might be a bug that's stopping the Tomb Fog function from working properly (so it's hiding objects in tombs even when you're in the room), I did notice that objects outside of the tomb rooms in your picture were still visible.

All very good advice, but one thing about your last idea. That picture was taken before ambitions or that patch. There was no fog. That post from that site was back in March. I stopped playing the game after those sims went home and just ignored it for a while until Ambitions came out. Then picked it up and seems that wasn't fixed. I had really hoped that they fixed the reset on their own even if it was done on purpose, maybe enough of us had stomped our feet and waved our hands bad enough for them to get the idea we don't want it that way. But alas, that was in vain.