Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does the American theme bother you for EP12 High School Years ?

Does the American theme bother you for EP12 High School Years ? 230 votes

Yes
6% 15 votes
A little
12% 28 votes
No, not really
43% 100 votes
No because I wanted it
23% 53 votes
It doesn't matter
14% 34 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,982 Member
    edited July 2022
    theme itself is fine by me but i am bothered about how they keep adding samey worlds and id rather not have new world at all in pack like this where it isnt really a need

could have fit more gameplay without world
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,288 Member
    edited July 2022
    No, not really

I watched a lot of TV shows and movies about stories in American high schools, it's a theme that I know very well and feel comfortable.

I would probably feel confused if it was about something else.
    And a French high school EP wouldn't make me dream.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    Voting is not working for me, but I don't mind the American theme. I see High School as a typical American thing anyway, and I'm sure those liking the theme wants it to me this way. We recently had so man packs based on european themes or with European worlds, so I actually think it's on time we get something American :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,552 Member
    A little, I guess. But it really depends on how it is done over all. It looks like we can design our own schools anyway, so that can change to a degree. But I am just hoping there are a variety of subject classes because I don't want my teens sat looking at a white board all day every day.

Why didn't they show art classes, cooking classes, woodwork, a science lab etc?
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I grew up watching American high school movies, so yeah, gimme all that! It's nothing like my school experience but I don't care. Sims in general is nothing like my life, so whatever 😅
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I actually like it's nothing like my school, in Scotland we don't have a graduation for high school, we get a prom when leaving primary school (preschool) and secondary school (high school), there's no cheerleaders or football team ( the US call it soccer) or prom King and Queen, what was good at school in Scotland there's wasn't really cliques either, everyone spoke to everyone, maybe not hang around with everyone , but everyone spoke to each other,
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    The devs would inevitably find it difficult, if not impossible to incorporate school/teen experiences from every country worldwide, due to cultural diversity. I also recognise that American teen life is often considered iconic because of popular entertainment films, tv etc., but a nod at least to other cultures would be nice. Maybe school uniforms, for example. Don't expect it though.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,446 Member
    edited July 2022
    Just a little. I would have preferred a bit more of a generic approach so more people can identify with the high school in game. But it is not a big deal. It will be just like in the movies, not like my actual high school experience. but then again living on a tropical island or visiting batuu in Disney land are also things I don't know from real life. And I enjoy doing those things as well. Even if it were more aimed at an international audience, I would still not get it at full price.
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,725 Member
    No, not really, I kinda expected that. It's a theme that many people are familiar with from movies and TV shows. I think it works.

I think the reason why we often see american worlds too is because they want to keep the budget down. They already have a lot of assets for american worlds.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    No, not really

Yeah it doesn't really bother me. I live in the UK, and I do find certain parts of American culture interesting, even if some consider it to be playing into stereotypes. I've seen plenty of TV shows and movies that depict American high schools and I know to take it with a grain of salt, after all, it's just entertainment. Ultimately, I have the choice as to what direction I want my gameplay to go, so it's fine by me.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,288 Member
    edited July 2022
    I also watched a lot of animes, I like Japanese high school (uniforms, clubs, high school plays and festivals).

But I can't imagine my sims with this theme, it wouldn't match.
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,237 Member
    The theme will fit fine for several worlds but it's going to be jarring for Sulani and particularly Mt Komorebi.

The lack of uniform is another thing. In the UK the vast majority of schools whether private or public have a school uniform, I'm sure it's the same in other countries. Kids in Mt Komorebi have a uniform, so it will be strange for the teens in that world not to have one.
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited July 2022
    School systems are very different all over the world. The developers had to go with one system so they used the one they knew best. So I am okay with it.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,410 Member
    I voted it bothers me a little and by little and I mean a little. My sims wont really care as they take what they get. From player perspective I'm fine with them going the american way and was expecting it too, but I can still feel a little sting of alienation because it's so far from my experience. What bothers me more though is that none of the maps resemble where I live. Granite Falls is closests, but come on it's just a forest. I need a nordic city :joy:
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,478 Member

It doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

I always regarded The Sims as USA centric. Like many I grew up watching American movies and the slightly mad, outrageous, bright and colorful dreamlike quality of these films made European kids like myself believe that this is what life’s like in The States. Myself and my buddies would say crazy stuff like:

“I wanna move to The States and be cool like Americans and chew bubble gum and kick 🍑!!!" *.

To me The Sims is like an American fantasy. Sure, it was born in America. If I didn’t like the American aspect to it I wouldn’t play it. If I didn’t watch American movies I might not even have understood it.
    The game gives me an opportunity to “direct” (American) fantasy stories like the movies from my childhood. I don’t need this silly game to reflect real life, I want it to reflect the fantasy of real life. I don’t mind if that happens to be the American fantasy of real life.

Having said all that, I’m delighted that worlds inspired by other cultures are represented too. I’d always ask for more of those. Mt.Komorebi, Selvadorada, Batuu…the ehr...Australian and African inspired worlds we'll be getting next...
    Henford on Bagley is one of my favorite worlds as it actually feels a bit closer to home ( then again, so does planet Sixam). It feels more “real” to me than all the Basegame worlds.

What was the question again?

Oh yes. The word “High School” sounds quintessentially American to me and spontaneously conjures up images of cheerleaders, quarterbacks and high school lockers. It’s totally OK to have the American high-school fantasy in an American game. That’s not to say that I don’t care for customization. I would prefer to be able to place a high school lot anywhere I like. I never cared that this isn’t the case with University since Unis are not in every town, hence dorm life, but it's pretty common for primary and secondary schools to be situated in every municipality.

To conclude my long-winded nonsense, even though I have no problem with the American High School theme, in fact I like it, I AM curious as to how customizable the schools and school systems are and how much of the American game we’re “forced” to play.

No offense, but I changed my mind about wanting to move to The States. I do however chew gum amd kick 🍑.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    It doesnt matter.

This is such a common question for everything it's an American game. I've read translated books or watched shows with subtitles with different settings based on where they come from and you dont see people asking the same. There are many ciltures all over the world and they may have to cut some out to be reasonable also looking at what people consider "normal" about freaking out. Mostly when different races or nationalities do just about any thing for others many have no choice cause if it gets messed up here come the pitchforks. Especially when American made gets involved, better to mix in a couple easy things and make the selling point what as many people as possible would recognize and appreciate.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,410 Member
    For people saying it doesn't matter and comparing it to the TV shows. With TV shows I can choose to watch an american show or a show producted in my country - or both. I have definitely watched both. This is pretty much the only life simulator game though, so I don't get to choose, I can only accept.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,387 Member
    edited July 2022
    No, because American high school has lots of things that are familiar to us from other countries. We've seen lots of American high school stuff in TV and other medias since we were kids, at least here in Finland.
    Finnish 'high school' system would be much boring to put in a game. It would be simply just... going to school and studying and getting "juiced" during the weekends. Not much fun gameplay. :|
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,417 Member
    I don't mind. My sims need an education, the American system will have to do. :) At least it's something that the developers are familiar with, also I am familiar with it from the movies so the expectations won't be too far from reality.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,948 Member
    I Wanted It.
    I'm American and loved my high school years so this is bringing back all sorts of wonderful memories.
  • Options
    mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 172 Member
    No, not really

I watched a lot of TV shows and movies about stories in American high schools, it's a theme that I know very well and feel comfortable.

I would probably feel confused if it was about something else.
    And a French high school EP wouldn't make me dream.

This!

I'm from germany, but in my imagination my Sim Families always lived somewhere in Sims-US America between the 1990ies and early 2000, inspired by many Family- and Teenagemovies and TV-Shows from this time period. :)
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,110 Member
    I think as long as there are different ways to play, it will be fine. I wouldn't want to do the classic American stuff every single time, but some of the time I will.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited July 2022
    A little. Cause with not all worlds being based on American locations, it would be quite immersion-breaking.

Plus I'm having a hard time relating to most of the school stuff we saw in the trailer, so I feel like I'd have to have play any Sim's high school experience like it's a teen drama/comedy. Would have preferred something more generic that we can maybe customize.
  • Options
    carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited July 2022
    Omri147 wrote: »
    A little. Cause with not all worlds being based on American locations, it would be quite immersion-breaking.

Plus I'm having a hard time relating to most of the school stuff we saw in the trailer, so I feel like I'd have to have play any Sim's high school experience like it's a teen drama/comedy. Would have preferred something more generic that we can maybe customize.

Yeah totally Agree on this, it's immersion-breaking. I feel that the biggest problem is that the sport activities are very americanized for a School world. The kids from Mt komorebi / Windenburg / Tartosa will look like they're on an exchange year in US. I would have prefered more options instead of the heavily focus on 2 sports that both aren't performed that much outside US. Even non existing in many parts of the world.

Yes, I would have prefered more customization / worldwide known activities because it's a School pack, not a vacation pack.

Post edited by carpe_diem on