Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Orient Express community collab

Comments

• Options
    soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member

So I tried to make an oil car. Not quite happy with it so may scrap the idea. It would work if I kept the platform... I probably have way too much clutter on it though. Am still liking the natural look (very rough landscaping here)... and yes, the stairs do work to the ground... but I'm good if I still need to keep the platform to match everyone else.
    kzZdbKi.jpg
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @soocoolsim

I nearly spat my coffee out this morning when I sat down and went to check the threads noticing you asked me if i wanted to decorate a car. I completely froze and stared at your post for a long time because I am not even certain I would be able to do that to any kind of standard of the players on this thread and for some reason when i posted my message I was thinking more along the lines of possible research for various world/areas trains around the world and the like. I don't want to upset you or anybody else but it would cause me considerable stress and self judgement if I tried to do that so i am hoping you can maybe find another way i could help?
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @SPARKY1922 Waving hi :)

I lightened my upholstery in the lounge car and then decided to change my greens to blues, thinking I had done enough green already, and tweaked a few other little things. Do you think it's confusing for me to call it a lounge? I was thinking of it like cocktail lounge, but I know people also use it the same as I would living room or family room.

Picture with new colors in spoiler.
    49398273813_f483127ae1_z.jpg
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options

Lol @SPARKY1922 , I have confidence in you and the Alpine Express is a more casual build, but no, I certainly don’t want to cause you any stress. It’s perfectly ok if you wish to contribute in another way. Nothing comes to mind right now, but we’re switching our focus to the world so I’ll leave your kind offer open in case @Jessabeans can take advantage of it 😊
  • Options

@suzses , your lounge car is lovely. I don’t think calling it that is confusing. I would certainly be lounging in there. What do others think?
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited January 2020
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @soocoolsim

I nearly spat my coffee out this morning when I sat down and went to check the threads noticing you asked me if i wanted to decorate a car. I completely froze and stared at your post for a long time because I am not even certain I would be able to do that to any kind of standard of the players on this thread and for some reason when i posted my message I was thinking more along the lines of possible research for various world/areas trains around the world and the like. I don't want to upset you or anybody else but it would cause me considerable stress and self judgement if I tried to do that so i am hoping you can maybe find another way i could help?

@SPARKY1922 I'm uploading a beta version of the world so everyone will have their lots in place to build on. It's still partially unfinished so you could help me look for issues and things to improve for the next version. Your help with that would be invaluable to me with that, everyone else will be busy with their builds.

I'm going to try again exporting it once I return home this morning. I had an early night last night and didn't get to it. I think I've found a work-around to the issue I ran into yesterday, but I won't know until I load the exported version back into my game to test. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    @soocoolsim I do like your oil tanker and don't think you should scrap it. Maybe you'll think of some little thing that will make you like it better. :) I think it works without the platform and could be used either way, depending where in the world it's located.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    suzses wrote: »
    @soocoolsim I do like your oil tanker and don't think you should scrap it. Maybe you'll think of some little thing that will make you like it better. :) I think it works without the platform and could be used either way, depending where in the world it's located.

You could have it 'parked' by the railyard themed junkyard if you didn't want to include it as a train car, it's still very cool looking.
  • Options

Ooooo.... I like that idea @Jessabeans . Inside has very rough amenities for hobos including a potentially nasty surprise so that would fit well. And players could optionally place it in one of the train lots if they wanted. Thanks to you and @suzses for the encouragement 😀
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited January 2020
    @soocoolsim - LOVE that oil tanker!
    @suzses - I like the lighter seats, but I actually like the green color carpet better. It brings out the planters so very nicely and is such a great color. Personally, I've been using so much blue that I don't think there will be too much green; but either way, both versions are lovely and if you don't want to call it a lounge, you could just call it a bar.
    Here's were I left the lot last night: (I went with those red lanterns on the wooden poles.)
    screenshot-19-1-e1579269507612.jpg
    Sorry, I didn't make sure I was on the top level when I took the pic.
  • Options
    @ciane I'm liking your little station, and the red lanterns work nicely.

I wanted to call my car a lounge because I didn't want to call it a bar :p but I didn't know if it was going to confuse others.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    edited January 2020
    @ciane , I like how you used the bike racks on your caboose on the roof where the ladders are, good addition! And your little rural train station looks really good!

@soocoolsim, Yes, that's what I was envisioning too - is that the Alpine train is using cars from other trains and that nothing would match and they wouldn't be all pretty, lol. I like the idea of putting the regular cars in front and whoever does freight style to put those at the end with no platforms, so I'll plan on getting rid of my platform. (I'm bulldozing my lot and starting over again, wasn't happy with it, lol.)

Your oil car looks really great Paula! You are so good with that CFE! And definitely don't scrap it!!

@SPARKY1922 , good to see you, and you cracked me up with your comment about your coffee. You are too funny!

@suzses, I think calling your car a lounge is perfect. I like both color schemes, but thinking I like the green one a little more, lol, but either one you decide on, it's still pretty!

@Jessabeans, good luck exporting your world, I'm excited to see it. And what a great idea to have @SPARKY1922 help check out the world for issues!

:):):)
  • Options
    @suzses - Ah, I misunderstood. Yes, I agree, calling it a lounge works great.
    I went back to working on the caboose. I thought it was too long, so I made it shorter and plan to add a little coal car or something behind it (or in front of it, depending on orientation.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Okay so the issue I was getting was some of the lots were virtually glitching. It was showing a mangled version of the lot's lightmap instead of the LOD for it. I went ahead and removed the lots that got affected. I'll try them out in a normal world and if they are okay I'll upload them separately for now. I'm looking into how to fix/prevent that from happening. CAW is so buggy sometimes.

Here you go, I don't have the train cars placed, I redrew the lots to scoot them down to add in the 9th opposite direction engine lot and didn't want to risk it being another day to replace the cars. They will be in the next version. This should version should help with choosing a scale for the community lots/homes at least.

https://simfileshare.net/download/1565726/

Note: I think I am going to center the paris train cars more on the hill, so you can see more of paris out the train car windows. Any other suggestion of what should be moved let me know. Should I put more of London's lots visible from the train? I worried about performance have so many close together.
    b0d68de1fd52f624a3cfb6849c3a56506f403a2c.jpg
    I had the idea of the Last Venue of Amore lot lining up with the real canals so there would be a little city block where your sims could actually ride the gondolas. I played around with the track and I think the lot needs to be a few tiles narrower for the track to connect and line up with the canals but anyone who is up for that one let me know what size you think you'll need.
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
  • Options
    @Jessabeans Sorry CAW is being cranky but very glad to see you got the new version uploaded. Heading over to download it now. :)

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    OK, if @ciane and @Sandraelle, who I know both like blue, think the green is better, then that says something. :D I thought it looked a lot like Minerva and so was too repetitious. Maybe I'll use the pattern of the blue carpet and make it green.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    suzses wrote: »
    @Jessabeans Sorry CAW is being cranky but very glad to see you got the new version uploaded. Heading over to download it now. :)

Thanks, I wanted to get something up before this weekend. I removed most of the Paris shells, which makes me sad, it was starting to look lovely. Hopefully the lots themselves are okay, but if not it only takes a fraction of the time to rebuild a shell.

When I hear the word lounge it's either interchangeable with 'Living Room' for me or I think of a jazz club/bar with music. So I can see how the term could be confusing but I think it should be fine.
  • Options
    SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    LOL @suzes, funny that you know that I like blue. :) I think the carpet you chose for the blue, in green, would look great!

Sorry CAW has been glitchy, but glad you got it to upload @Jessabeans. Will go DL it soon.

@ciane, I think reducing the length of your caboose sounds like a good idea, as I picture them a bit shorter than the regular train cars. I'm thinking a different wall covering would be good too, so that it doesn't look so much like the Scotsman. Looking forward to seeing your new version. :)
  • Options
    Hi @soocoolsim

Thank you for being gracious and understanding You have no idea how in awe I am of the DNA's team's work and creativity so knowing completely just how rubbish i am at these things I am very sure I would embarrass myself so please let me know if there is anything else I can do in future..

As always fantastic builds from everyone which i have downloaded and recommended :)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    hi @Jessabeans

I only just noticed your post so apologies. I am very happy to test your world that will defo be more up my street if you can let me know what sorts of things you would like me to test at each stage and I can report back. Just a heads up I will be using the digital origin version of my game to do this so there could be some graphical issues with sims if they get into any pics but other than that I can test terrain/routing/lots to make sure there are no issues. Just let me know when you need me to start :)

@Sandrella

Thanks lol that's exactly what it was like with my coffee-) I felt like @soocoolsim was asking me to design/decorate London bridge or something haha :)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    hi @Jessabeans

I only just noticed your post so apologies. I am very happy to test your world that will defo be more up my street if you can let me know what sorts of things you would like me to test at each stage and I can report back. Just a heads up I will be using the digital origin version of my game to do this so there could be some graphical issues with sims if they get into any pics but other than that I can test terrain/routing/lots to make sure there are no issues. Just let me know when you need me to start :)

Sandrella

Thanks lol that's exactly what it was like with my coffee-) I felt like soocoolsim was asking me to design/decorate London bridge or something haha :)

Thank you so much!

At this stage;
    • I've just started putting in trees so if you see any floating or sunken ones let me know.
    • If you could switch to winter and let me know if you see any grey snow patches around anywhere besides Venice.
    • If you see any roads or bridges that are not connected, with the exception of Venice. (I'm still figuring those out.)
    • Let me know if you see any decorations other than the train tracks with lots over them (I thought I had the popping in and out fixed, but I think I moved some of them by accident when I was moving the lots again.) that are floating or askew.
    • If you find any stuck sims, specifically horses or deer if you could tell me which area.
    • If you could give me a general idea how the world is running that would be super helpful too. I would like to add more trees but I want to keep seeing how it's doing with the lots before I add in too much decor.
    • I put in a little bit of no-camera routing around the outer edges, check if you can still see any map edges or distant terrain.

I'm sure I've forgotten something. Basically if you see anything and wonder to yourself rather or not it's intentional, it's possible it's a problem you've found. I'll be working on things I've noticed while loading it into game. I wish the Edit in Game version of the world was the same as the playable version, it would save me hours.

Side note, Does someone want to build the London Bridge?
  • Options

Yay, glad to see the new world file @Jessabeans . Sorry you're having glitches and hoping they can be resolved without cause you more grief.

Hmmm.... London Bridge does look like an interesting challenge. I would have to CFE those long curved cables and I do like experimenting.
    OK, sure... I can put me down for that... unless someone else is pretty keen. Do you have a particular lot in mind for the bridge? I just came home so excited to installed your world and check out the latest version :smiley:

LOL @SPARKY1922 ... glad you are able to help test the world. We're very grateful for your help :smiley:
  • Options
    Sandraelle wrote: »
    @ciane, I think reducing the length of your caboose sounds like a good idea, as I picture them a bit shorter than the regular train cars. I'm thinking a different wall covering would be good too, so that it doesn't look so much like the Scotsman. Looking forward to seeing your new version. :)

I had the impression that the alpine train was casts off and thought we were suppose to use a mix of the other "skins"... maybe repainted, and with a different logo. I'll gladly alter the skin, if that is better. This is the way it looks right now:
    screenshot-16-2-e1579291060642.jpg

Note: I used the same latern lights on this lot as I plan to use for the Alpine train station, and I deleted the town clocks, which I hope is okay, because I didn't really think they'd have a bunch of clocks on all the tracks out away from the big cities.

@suzses - I actually love both green and blue and hues between. I'm also a big lover of nature colors. So I find palettes that use green and creme and brown and reds together very appealing. I think I will always choose green to go with brown and beige.

@Jessabeans - Yay that you got a new version loaded. Boo that some lots aren't working as you'd like. I hope you get things resolved easily. I think I'll keep working in the old alpha version a bit longer until I finish what I've started there and get them uploaded.

@SPARKY1922 - Woot! It'll be great to have another person help test the world! I am sure you might have fun making a run down version of an old abandoned train car, but no pressure and no stress here.

• Options

@Sandraelle ... I know you did like the idea of a little stepping platform so an option could we both keep a smaller stretch of platform between the stairs which still gives us room to add bushes, and if downloaders liked the look of the platform they have a reference height to extend it. Think that will work or look silly? I'm heading in game shortly to try it.

I'm probably going to add my oil tanker near the junkyard as Jess suggested, but would like to make another freight car for the train. Want to experiement to see if I can make the cow transport work :smiley:
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    soocoolsim wrote: »
    Yay, glad to see the new world file @Jessabeans . Sorry you're having glitches and hoping they can be resolved without cause you more grief.

Hmmm.... London Bridge does look like an interesting challenge. I would have to CFE those long curved cables and I do like experimenting.
    OK, sure... I can put me down for that... unless someone else is pretty keen. Do you have a particular lot in mind for the bridge? I just came home so excited to installed your world and check out the latest version :smiley:

LOL SPARKY1922 ... glad you are able to help test the world. We're very grateful for your help :smiley:

I'm drawing the lot for the Rialto Bridge over the water, because (at least in my testing), sims and boats can still route under it. I could do the same for the London Bridge. I'll do that area of London's riverwalk so I draw in a lot for you to experiment on. Or if it's easier for you to start on a flat lot and to not need to worry about the river depth, I can conform the world around it later. I put in a lot for you to test out parking the oil tanker by the railyard lot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top