Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Orient Express community collab

Comments

• Options
    soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member
    edited January 2020
    ciane wrote: »
    @soocoolsim and @Jessabeans - Either way. I thought to make the engine on a 24x15 and save that. Then build a small station on one side of a 30x15 after placing the engine lot on it. True reversibility only works if there's a 30x15 lot on either side of the train chain, but I'd be able to flip the engine location to the other end if it's the same size lot (24x15) as the train cars it pulls. So... yes, I planned to make a combo lot, but also have the option to reverse the train direction. I hope that makes sense.

FYI - I finally got the IBIS to upload. I'm really getting frustrated with the launcher. I had those red Xs and the notice to make room in my studio AND a network error where I couldn't log in! I reset IE and cleaned out old uploads and copied my export folder to a different Sims 3 folder.

Anyway, here it is:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9358262

Your Ibis car looks lovely @ciane . Link added to page 1. Added you as claimed for the combo, and added Car #1 as an additional build.

Edit! re the train... sorry, not sure I fully understand. The tracks continue past the station to the best of my knowledge so to me that means you’ll have what amounts to the existing platform area space on the front and back sides to build the station base, and over the top of course if you’re covering it. I’ll leave it up to you and Jessabeans to figure this out 😊
    Post edited by soocoolsim on
  • Options

Every train needs an engine, so finally the Orient Express Locomotive is up => Download***** Pictures:smiley:

kJqBLr4.jpg
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited January 2020
    @suzses - Maybe you are right about Origin. When it updates, just like Windows, it means that other things must be reset. I don't like all the updates as you can't pick and choose what you'd like. So, spyware and ads infiltrate. I used to enjoy some freeware, but now they are full of ads for add-ons to buy as well. I unplugged from Origin after their 1.69 push and only log-in for the forums here and my page (and of course, to upload and download from the exchange.)

@soocoolsim - Yeah, it'd be a tiny shack of a station with a counter and bench(es) and maybe a corner fireplace and some storage. A second floor and maybe a basement could add a kitchenette and maybe a daybed. I'm open to building the station on a small lot next the engine, but I do like the idea of crossing the tracks to get to the station. See this image to understand my vision:
    c9900a30487b9155769951c0a6e652f2.jpg
    CIMG3553.jpg
    8635556-3x2-940x627.jpg

And, of course, your engine is awesome!
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited January 2020
    @ciane If you only want maybe 4 tiles or something small for the train station like your examples, I could just make the train car lot slightly bigger for the station so it's all on the same lot. It just depends on if you'd like it to be modular or not. When you are in live mode, lot lines don't show unless you place a fence, so it doesn't make a big difference if it's an adjacent lot or on the same lot.

As far as reversing the train, I'll leave it to consensus if people want a 15x30 on both ends and just have the final car on a bigger lot to match the engine with unused space at the end of the lot. Or if they want the train pointed in the same direction all the time.

I'm getting the world ready to export this morning, I can make any changes to the lot size you'd like once you are sure how you'd like to approach it.
  • Options
    @Jessabeans - I'm super excited you are ready to export the new version. I'm looking forward to seeing it in game. I might be the only one who wants to be able to reverse directions in order to be either coming or going. We'll see. I really love the challenge of tiny builds and putting a station on the platform. An extra four tiles wide would definitely give me the room to still have platform space and a station building three tiles wide. OR if the station is on the end of the lot, it can use all the platform at that end; so no additional space is needed. I'm really hopeful to get the engine on a regular lot and have the extra space for the station.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited January 2020
    @soocoolsim The engine is fantastic! I love everything about it and am amazed at what a nice residence it is.

@Jessabeans Very much looking forward to seeing the world once exported. :)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options

Thanks for the photos @ciane , yes that helps very well and is similar to what I was thinking. Glad you liked my engine. Research showed 3 types of engines pulled the OE and this one seemed the latest.

@Jessabeans , since you have the space, can you add one or two more car lots plus an empty 30x15 engine lot at the opposite end please. That way it is a win-win. The train can be reversible for going in the other direction, plus also easily enable addition of the VSOE engine alone if they want the game play of having their playable sim ‘ride the train’.

To explain.... I was thinking one aspect of game play would be for folks to move their playable sim into a VSOE engine lot. They could then delete the engines from the other engine lots and just move their engine house around the world when and where as desired to ‘ride the train’ without having to move their sim out 😀
  • Options
    SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
    @HollownessDevour , glad you're going to make the English pub, I'm sure it will come out amazing, just like all your other lots.

@suzses, your creator's choice train car is another beautiful creation from you. I like that you were able to add in a bar, very nice!

@ciane, your Ibis car looks beautiful. Love the pattern you chose for the chairs and the red/blue combo color scheme. Think I've got everybody recommended up to to this point. Can't wait to see your engine car and station for the Alpine train! You always do so amazing with tiny builds!

@soocoolsim, you did a wonderful job creating your engine car. Looks so realistic and the things you used to get the authentic train look is genius. The interior is really pretty and it has such a nice layout. Love it! And the other train cars behind it look fabulous!

@Jessabeans, I'm excited to see your newest version of he world!!
  • Options
    @soocoolsim , so I was able to leave a set of stairs for a sim to gain access inside my car transporter train, so if a homeless person wants to reside there, it's possible. But what to do with the mailbox and trash can, lol. I can remove them or hide them, but won't they just come back or reposition when the lot is placed?
  • Options
    @Sandraelle - You could try using the apartment mailboxes and a different trash can, if you prefer from buydebug. I think hiding them in shrubs would work okay as well.
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    I ran into a problem when exporting the world. I'm going to try again after I get back from picking up my little one but it could be tonight before I get back to it. Sorry
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Lol @Sandraelle , are you going to feed your homeless person with a BBQ grill too? I’m going to hide my stuff in bushes like Ciane suggested, including that buydebug bed.

So... talking about bushes.... @everyone, I think we should we get rid of the platforms for the Alpine Express car lots since @ciane will integrate whatever platform she needs into the rural station lot. This gives us the freedom to add landscaping. Thoughts?

Edit! Not talking about going totally wild... basically tasteful use of a bit of terrain paint and greenery to integrate nicely into what Jessabeans will be using in that part of the world.
    Post edited by soocoolsim on
  • Options

Thanks very much for your kind comments on my engine @suzses and @Sandraelle 🤗
  • Options
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    I ran into a problem when exporting the world. I'm going to try again after I get back from picking up my little one but it could be tonight before I get back to it. Sorry

Don’t stress about it @Jessabeans . Family comes first and we can certainly wait 🤗
  • Options
    soocoolsim wrote: »
    Lol @Sandraelle , are you going to feed your homeless person with a BBQ grill too? I’m going to hide my stuff in bushes like Ciane suggested, including that buydebug bed.

So... talking about bushes.... @everyone, I think we should we get rid of the platforms for the Alpine Express since @ciane will integrate whatever platform she needs into the rural station lot. This gives us the freedom to add landscaping. Thoughts?

Edit! Not talking about going totally wild... basically tasteful use of a bit of terrain paint and greenery to integrate nicely into what Jessabeans will be using in that part of the world.

I think we still need the platforms for getting sims on and off the trains. I was planning to use the existing platform.

@Jessabeans - No worries on not getting the world exported yet. Though we are anxious to see the new look, I think we all have enough to work on right now (though I could be wrong.)

• Options
    @ciane, great idea to put the apartment mailbox!! I won't need to change the lot from residential to apartment, correct? There's no doors on the lot, so not sure it would be appropriate to label it that.

@soocoolsim, hmmm, I wasn't really planning on putting any "home" items on the lot, as it's mainly for show, lol. So no, don't think I will put a bbq, lol.

Good idea about removing the Alpine platforms and adding a bit of bushes. I'll wait to see what the world looks like before I do any of that. Of course, small parts of the platform will need to stay to accommdoate any stair entries.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @Sandraelle - I never change the lot designation for apartments. I think only commercial lots get separate designation.

I've been working on the caboose, but I'll start on the engine now. My plan is to build the engine close to the rear of the lot and therefore have extra room for the station in front of the engine.

caboose pic:
    screenshot-5-2-e1579202298228.jpg[img][/img]
  • Options

@ciane , see in your middle photo how the platform ends and the rest of the track is natural. That’s what I was envisioning it would be like. So only the engine would be at a platform. I was anticipating once we removed the platform and replaced the stairs they will reach the ground... even if we need to use Alt to place. Heading in game shortly to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @soocoolsim - I had envisioned the station at the end, yes; but I expected the platform to extend all the way down the train for loading and unloading. I like the way the first image presents covered seating on the platform and has the station on the very end. That way I don't need a larger/wider lot at all. I simply use columns and roof to cover the outdoor benches and attach a small station on the end. But, whatever you prefer will work.

For example, I placed my caboose on the 15x30 lot and scooted it closer to the rest of the train. That leaves me lots of room on the empty end to extend the platform and build a small station. I'd just delete the stairs on the end of the platform and put some facing forward between engine and station.
    screenshot-6-3.jpg
    Notice there is room for double wide stairs and a 5x3 train station. :smile:
  • Options

Lol @ciane , I think maybe we’re each focussed on different aspects. Yep your ideas for the station are great, and no concerns from my end with the full platform across the length of this lot. Am thinking you’ll only perhaps have 1 tile with the forward facing stairs but if anyone can make a tiny space work really well it’s you. Looking forward to seeing your lot. BTW, your caboose looks pretty cool 😀

Including @Sandraelle ... So I’m envisioning this as a beat up train with a few passenger cars and the rest mainly freight. So... how about another spin re the car lots... we keep the full length platform for the passenger cars and these will be placed towards the front of the train nearer the engine and station. For those designing a freight car... they could have a choice of removing the platform since sims don’t need full platform access. And if they do want stairs, it’s their choice to extend directly to the ground or keep a piece of stepping platform. Hmmm... for a cattle car, maybe a ramp would do. Ideas, ideas heh heh
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Okay, I played around with it and tested the stairs by the tracks. They worked and I was able to get a triple stairway so it matches the end. It looks like this right now:
    screenshot-17-2.jpg
    screenshot-16-1-e1579212909907.jpg
    Now, of course, I have to get an engine built that is the same size as, or shorter than, a train car.

Do we want to keep the same light poles and clock for the alpine version or go with something more rural?
  • Options

I totally love it @ciane ! My vote would be to go with rural light poles but it’s up to you.

Are you still staying with the combo station and engine lot and just testing the look using the caboose as an example?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Yes, the caboose was just stuck in there to see how the lot would line up and how much extra room was actually there. I wanted a train there to test the stairs orientation as well. I still plan to make the engine on a normal lot and then move it to the larger lot and add a station to it. And, yes, I wanted to put in different lights as those seem more like town lights to me.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited January 2020
    I just noticed this was happening right now and wanted to state what a fantastic idea/project it is. i think everyone participating in this thread knows what a crap builder I am but if i can be of any assistance any other way I would be happy to do that :)
  • Options

Woot, great to see you here @SPARKY1922 . Do you like decorating? I think the world will have some shells that will need interior decorating at some point. In the meantime, you’re welcome to decorate one of the Alpine Train cars if you like 😀

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top