Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The bright blue screen is NOT good for people with epilepsy or neurological disorders!

Comments

• Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    The dark blue is much worse for me! I know high contrast are supposed to be easier but for some reason they give me eye strain.
  • Options
    RIP-Troika-GamesRIP-Troika-Games Posts: 221 Member
    edited July 2019
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I'm confused how could an austic person be sensory overloaded by colour? I thought (or at least in my experience) that austic people only got overload with very loud noise (ie if I'm talking to Mom in the family room and Dad's trying to listen to something he turns the volume up alot which hurt my ears instead of you know asking me politely to leave the room)

@MadameLee
    Noise is one of the usual ones, but lights/colours and also smells are quite common.
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    SimGuruFrost just confirmed they will change the loading screen color. It's nice that they heard the community on this one. It's still a shame we have to wait for the next month. :/

Thank goodness. It even looks better and more nostalgic.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I'm confused how could an austic person be sensory overloaded by colour? I thought (or at least in my experience) that austic people only got overload with very loud noise (ie if I'm talking to Mom in the family room and Dad's trying to listen to something he turns the volume up alot which hurt my ears instead of you know asking me politely to leave the room)

@MadameLee
    Noise is one of the usual ones, but lights/colours and also smells are quite common.
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    SimGuruFrost just confirmed they will change the loading screen color. It's nice that they heard the community on this one. It's still a shame we have to wait for the next month. :/

Thank goodness. It even looks better and more nostalgic.

Reminds me of TS Makin Magic loading screens:

3AjWze7.png

I like it much better.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    What I dislike most (other than blue and green not being my favourite colour combination) is how hard it is to read the text under the plumbob now. I don't know what it is. but now I have to concentrate to read it. Before I didn't have to think about it.

The loading screens sims 3 had at the end were a bit laggy with the whole "find this"-game, but I wish they could do something similar just in terms of giving you some loading screen variety. Maybe circulate renders or make some nice screenshots and add a few new ones everytime we get a new pack. I mean, if anything, it could be used as advertisement for other packs and isn't that what EA likes anyway?
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    The oversaturated colors aren't good for anyone that has a set of working eyeballs. They're too intense.
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    The dark blue is much worse for me! I know high contrast are supposed to be easier but for some reason they give me eye strain.

Oh no, poor you :/ I hope they can find a balance that can make it accessible for all of us. A choice of options or something maybe? I can't imagine it would involve that much work just to change the colour values in the coding, and/or add an option. :#
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    edited July 2019
    Livinity wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I don't think it's reasonable to ask them to spend even more resources remaking stuff that won't add anything to the game, what's the point? I'm already baffled about the waste, I don't see how any of these would appeal to any player, old or new. They could've given us more hair colors, skins, things people would actually care about, but nope. Now instead of something meaningful we want round 2 of rebranding? It's easier to just look away from the screen at this point.

It is completely reasonable, considering it's their fault for not doing their research and doing this completely amateur re-brand.

There are plenty of research about the danger of blue light, just google the health problems the excess of blue light exposure causes.

Blue light causes sleep disorders that may lead to even worse problems:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

High energy blue light permanently damages the retina, possibly leading to cataract and macular degeneration:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24304494
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29543853

Blue light is the main reason behind Computer Vision Syndrome:
    https://www.theraspecs.com/blog/computer-screens-headaches-migraines-and-concussions/

It's one thing for the new visual to be just ugly, that's completely subjective, but the possibility that playing The Sims 4 may cause permanent eye damage is something that should be thought about.
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    edited July 2019
    asimbsim wrote: »

Oh no, poor you :/ I hope they can find a balance that can make it accessible for all of us. A choice of options or something maybe? I can't imagine it would involve that much work just to change the colour values in the coding, and/or add an option. :#

I hope so! I think a color option would definitely make everyone happy! I am very happy that the developers listened and changed the color for everyone getting migraines and sensory problems from the new color scheme.
  • Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I don't think it's reasonable to ask them to spend even more resources remaking stuff that won't add anything to the game, what's the point? I'm already baffled about the waste, I don't see how any of these would appeal to any player, old or new. They could've given us more hair colors, skins, things people would actually care about, but nope. Now instead of something meaningful we want round 2 of rebranding? It's easier to just look away from the screen at this point.

It is completely reasonable, considering it's their fault for not doing their research and doing this completely amateur re-brand.

There are plenty of research about the danger of blue light, just google the health problems the excess of blue light exposure causes.

High energy blue light permanently damages the retina, possibly leading to cataract and macular degeneration:

https://www.theraspecs.com/blog/computer-screens-headaches-migraines-and-concussions/

It's one thing for the new visual to be just ugly, that's completely subjective, but the possibility that playing The Sims 4 may cause permanent eye damage is something that should be thought about.

The previous white screen also had blue light, it's as much damaging as the new one. Have you ever tried a blue light filter? If so you can see how it's everywhere and yes playing The Sims 4 will cause eye damage whether you play with one loading screen or the other, I can assure you that.
  • Options
    GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    There's a mod from a Twitter user called TwistedMexi out now that changes the entire look of the game back to how it was before the rebrand. It's Patreon only at the minute but in a few days it will be public.

https://twitter.com/twistedmexi/status/1151528572990971904

He plans to keep it updated, such as by adding custom coloured icons in line with the existing ones when new packs are released.

Thanks for this, my nephew likes to play The Sims 4 and I'm definitely NOT going to let him play the game with the new design since he's just a kid, his eyes are still developing and I assume it might be even more harmful to him to look at that bright blue loading screen so frequently.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Really?
    I no see the new design as epileptic
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Grynn wrote: »

It's not the color blue - it is the blue light that all electronics put out. I buy migraine glasses that make it easier to tolerate blue light in electronics - and I don't even need glasses but still got a prescription for blue light issues.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

That is usually a problem if you have astigmatism and do not wear corrective lenses for it. I know when reading without my glasses, that I get headaches trying to read lighter words from a darker background.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    Monaveil wrote: »
    The oversaturated colors aren't good for anyone that has a set of working eyeballs. They're too intense.

I lol so hard when I read this. So, true! :D
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I wasn't a fan of the new plumbob design for the shortcut either, mostly of how it looked in the win10 taskbar so I made a custom shortcut to the sims4 and added it to the taskbar.

I know it probably isn't much help but maybe it could work as a workaround, you can find the .exe file where you installed the sims4, for example C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin right click on TS4_x64.exe (if you are playing the 64-bit version, which you probably are) or TS4.exe and select create shortcut. Then you can right click that shortcut, go into properties and change the icon. You can also right click the shortcut and add that shortcut to the taskbar by right clicking the shortcut and choosing pin to taskbar.

Finding a good icon might be difficult. I extracted the old one using a program called iconsextract on my laptop which have the sims4 that is not updated so for me the game looks like it is using the old icon from before.

7UEwZ4H.png

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

"don't look at the screen" (that you see constantly because of load screens)

This seems a little ableist. Not sure if that's your intentino, but people suffer migraines, this screen hurts my eyes.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

That is usually a problem if you have astigmatism and do not wear corrective lenses for it. I know when reading without my glasses, that I get headaches trying to read lighter words from a darker background.

Yo, I have this too! I didn't know that it's due to astigmatism. Cuz a lot of people love dark modes/night modes for everything and I'm like, "How y'all be reading white fonts over a dark background??! My eyes go all woopty doo." LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    One of my coworkers is legally blind, so bright colors are hard for him to see and even white is hard for him to see. He uses dark mode and white text against a black background to see better.

I am photosensitive due to a childhood health issue, so flashing bright lights lik strobes bother me.

There is one design made by a Simmer that actually gave me an instant migraine when viewing.
    D_tcXUtWwAM3wiN.jpg

The original plumbob design actually was the most kind to my eyes and I miss it. It didn't move too fast and was calming to look at:
    classic-loading-screen_5cfe20f25d653.png

I adore the dark loading screen mod.

Sims 2 still had my favorite loading screens:
    latest?cb=20190105081801
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    One of my coworkers is legally blind, so bright colors are hard for him to see and even white is hard for him to see. He uses dark mode and white text against a black background to see better.

I am photosensitive due to a childhood health issue, so flashing bright lights lik strobes bother me.
    [...]

The original plumbob design actually was the most kind to my eyes and I miss it. It didn't move too fast and was calming to look at:
    classic-loading-screen_5cfe20f25d653.png

I adore the dark loading screen mod.
    [...]

I love this one. But I can understand how the white is too bright. They should have made it have a vignette like they did for the previous loading screen. I do love the plumbob tho!
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright folks I merged two topics together on this because it doesn't make sense to be discussing it in two separate threads in the same section.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

Yo, I have this too! I didn't know that it's due to astigmatism. Cuz a lot of people love dark modes/night modes for everything and I'm like, "How y'all be reading white fonts over a dark background??! My eyes go all woopty doo." LOL.

As with other things, it's not a universal hard and fast rule. My eyes are a "delighful" combo of astigmatic and far-sighted and dark modes are pretty much what makes it possible for me to read without everything being blurry within moments, especially in dark places (as little as overcast sky can make it hard to me to manage a bright screen).
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

As with other things, it's not a universal hard and fast rule. My eyes are a "delighful" combo of astigmatic and far-sighted and dark modes are pretty much what makes it possible for me to read without everything being blurry within moments, especially in dark places (as little as overcast sky can make it hard to me to manage a bright screen).

Oh interesting. Well, I'm near sighted. But I get a headache staring at a dark background with white words for a long time.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Meghanz8998Meghanz8998 Posts: 2 New Member
    Since when does the Sims cause epilepsy? Is there a lot of flashing? Did the update bring about flashing screens giving anyone with epilepsy a fit? Even before the update the white screen would appear then vanish you don't hear about that triggering anyone's epilepsy.

Jesus Christ you people are reminding me why I very rarely visit these forums.
  • Options
    Since when does the Sims cause epilepsy? Is there a lot of flashing? Did the update bring about flashing screens giving anyone with epilepsy a fit? Even before the update the white screen would appear then vanish you don't hear about that triggering anyone's epilepsy.

Jesus Christ you people are reminding me why I very rarely visit these forums.

There's different types of photosensitive epilepsy. Flashing lights is not the only cause of them. Do your research.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    They’re gonna fix it guys, I just saw a photo they will make it darker in the August patch. I saw it on their IG story but yeah a color wheel would be awesome for those who can’t handle it and need to adjust to what they need.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top