Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims & the celebrities.. Katy Perry, Joey Essex...

Comments

• Options
    AlchemyAlchemy Posts: 159 Member
    edited November 2012
    Who the heck is Joey Essex?
  • Options
    SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    edited November 2012
    They've always had celebs.

In Sims House Party and Superstar, Drew Carey, Jon Bon Jovi, Marilyn Monroe, and Avril Lavigne would stop by or be around.

In Urbz, the Black Eyed peas were around.

In Sims 2 Pets, Hilary Duff was around. On the website you could download Julie Taton, aka Miss Belgium.

It's more how they're giving us celebrities and how they're working with them that we hate. They're really nothing new.
  • Options
    nathannashleyynathannashleyy Posts: 27
    edited November 2012
    I can't believe of all the famous people in the UK they picked someone from TOWIE, i get that he's cheap to use but seriously?
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited November 2012
    I can't believe of all the famous people in the UK they picked someone from TOWIE, i get that he's cheap to use but seriously?

No wonder I didn't know who he was. :?
  • Options
    jeanamariex3jeanamariex3 Posts: 1,274
    edited November 2012
    How about YOU stop taking celebrity endorsements so seriously. It's just a game, and it's been around since TS1.

And Katy Perry endorsed Apartment Life.
  • Options
    TtnFn04TtnFn04 Posts: 1,727 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Don't know who he is, so I looked him up and...

bi07b7.png

WOWZA. :lol: Now I don't even care who he is.

edit: he reminds me of the lead (sim) singer in my Platinum story. Now I wanna go update it... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    PretodaPretoda Posts: 1,533 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Alot of people look forward to having them. It might not be your thing but some people like the idea of hanging out with their faveorite celebrity without looking like a stalker. :lol: In fact playing a Sim version of Nick Carter got me the ability to say hi to him without wanting to faint.
  • Options
    jeanamariex3jeanamariex3 Posts: 1,274
    edited November 2012
    Pretoda wrote:
    Alot of people look forward to having them. It might not be your thing but some people like the idea of hanging out with their faveorite celebrity without looking like a stalker. :lol: In fact playing a Sim version of Nick Carter got me the ability to say hi to him without wanting to faint.

Agreed. I'm soo sick of people throwing hissy fits. And I think the OP is taking this whole celebrity thing soooo seriously. Since when did Sims HAVE to cater to someone specifically? This is a sandbox game, play how you want. I'm sick and tired of people taking this game, and this forum so seriously. Go take a chill pill and get a sense of humor.

• Options
    ZombyTurtleZombyTurtle Posts: 100 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Pretoda wrote:

Agreed. I'm soo sick of people throwing hissy fits. And I think the OP is taking this whole celebrity thing soooo seriously. Since when did Sims HAVE to cater to someone specifically? This is a sandbox game, play how you want. I'm sick and tired of people taking this game, and this forum so seriously. Go take a chill pill and get a sense of humor.

People are not throwing hissy fits they are just identifying a very poor business decision and asking EA to stop.

The issue here is that resources that should be used to fund development of new features and bug fixes is being spent on an ineffective marketing campaign.

If people wanted celebrities in their games, they would make or download the celebrities themselves. Many of us play games to get away from reality and modern culture and create our own worlds, celebrities go against this.

Your whole point that the sims should not cater to someone specifically goes against your approval of celebrity endorsements. Using Katy Perry will only cater to Katy Perry fans. This will alienate and put off everyone else who doesn't like the singer.

While its true celebrities have been in sims since the beginning, it has never been as intrusive as it is in the sims 3. Dedicated stuff packs and endorsed Ep's are not the way forward. The community has made this clear and EA still ignores them.

TL/DR Celebrities have no place in the sims unless the user specifically creates them. Resources should be spent on bug fixes and product development.
  • Options
    MysteryJokerMysteryJoker Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited November 2012
    Celebrity endorsements will never stop because it's an easy way to sucker in mindless fans of *insert celebrity endorsed item*.

Not to say all of them are awful but it brings in a good chunk of change from people who will buy whatever product that has their idol's name attached to it.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited November 2012
    Meh, that's just EA being a company. They have plenty of people employed whose job revolves around how to make money. Celebrity endorsements have been a part of advertising for a very long time because they work. They're not going anywhere. Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy the product, though.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited November 2012
    I sort of agree with the topic creator.

The major difference between Superstar and "Katy Perry's Fantastical Sim adventure" is simply how aggressive it is being.

The thing is when the games had celebrity sims they were always on the side and were a great nod. Heck Late Night needed to have better Celebrity expies in my oppinion Heck I wouldn't have even made an arguement if it included a celebrity inside the game and they advertised that the celebrity was appearing in the game.

When Katy Perry started to show her head the focus was shot right to the celebrity herself and I just went "Why?". It just cheapens the whole experience. It became less "Celebrity sings a song to advertise the next sims game" and became "Hey everyone! Katy Petty is the new Sims expansion and Stuff Pack! Better buy it because KATY PERRY!". It took the focus away from the game is all I am saying.
  • Options
    crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I don't mind having celebrities, as long as it's not like the whole Katy Perry Showtime/Sweet Treats debacle... that still gives me nightmares every now and then.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited November 2012
    I don't watch TOWIE so I don't care if this guy endorses the game or not. I barely know who he is! Doesn't bother me in the slightest. As for the Katy Perry editions of things, the obvious answer is that people who don't like her or her endorsement just don't buy that part of the game.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    IvinoraIvinora Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited November 2012
    why don't we get some conan action...? ;P i would love that sexy red haired / white pale skin action :lol:
  • Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited November 2012
    I don't mind it as long as the EP isn't purely focused on the celebrity. Sure it was a bit negative with the celebrity endorsed SP but hey, it was optional! You didn't really lose anything except for extra items/clothes/hair.

What bothers me the most is people lashing out on the celebrities. For example on the Joey Essex video, people are writing death treats and insults towards him. They don't know him, whatever show he is on doesn't portray the real him; he could be the sweetest, kindest, most genuine person they'd ever know maybe, or a cruel monster. People have a right to have an opinion but with lack of knowledge on the subject, they end up looking worse themselves.
  • Options
    RBenthienRBenthien Posts: 516 New Member
    edited November 2012
    This is the last thing you wanna hear.. but THANK YOU!!! hahahahhaha I LOVE JOEY AND SAM AND TOWIE.. Happy Canadian right now .. hehe
  • Options
    TtnFn04TtnFn04 Posts: 1,727 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Pretoda wrote:

:lol: I made one of my fave actors in my game... that's all I'll say. And I like Nick Carter too, btw.

@RBenthien: after I saw Joey's pic, I like him now too. :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    GlennGnerdGlennGnerd Posts: 272
    edited November 2012
    Sir Isaac Newton > Katy Perry

Any day
  • Options
    ShrillShrill Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited November 2012
    I hadn't seen this. Oh my goodness, Joey Essex?! I'm so embarrassed on everyone's behalf for this, what an odd, odd choice.
  • Options
    MischiefTheKittenMischiefTheKitten Posts: 3,635 Member
    edited November 2012
    Shrill wrote:
    I hadn't seen this. Oh my goodness, Joey Essex?! I'm so embarrassed on everyone's behalf for this, what an odd, odd choice.

^ This. Surely there would have been a better choice? I didn't even know he was in the game, though, where have you guys seen him? My witch wants to curse him.

~MischiefTheKitten

Signature3_zpstzfs3ywq.jpg