Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Legacy Challenge Rules

Comments

• Options
    veggiechipsveggiechips Posts: 56 New Member
    edited August 2009
    melelana wrote:
    Due to a glitch, my founding sim got 80,000 simoleans out of nowhere D:

Does this disqualify me?

I'm not sure but to be on the safe side, I would build a small room (using part of the 80,000) and then spend the rest of it on EXPENSIVE statues to put in the room. Then delete the door so that none of the sims can enjoy the statues and the most you get out of it is the "New Stuff" moodlet, and I'm sure no one will disqualify you for that, right?
  • Options
    StormfeatherStormfeather Posts: 371 Member
    edited August 2009
    Well, the problem is that statues still add to the house networth.

I'd do something like make sure not to spend *any* of it (even if you "pay it back," you're giving yourself an advantage by being able to "borrow" it), then next Sim you move out, buy a really expensive house, for about 80,000 more than you'd normally have spent on them.

Or maybe go buy a WHOLE lot of birthday cakes, and wait for them to go bad. ;) But that'd get a bit annoying, I'm not sure how many cakes you can buy all at once, so it'd take a while. But it's a possibility.

• Options
    aupdike50aupdike50 Posts: 22 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Yo Krell...I think your "dirty dishes" on community lots that don't reset at midnight or whenever they are supposed to is a known bug. I went looking for where I read that but could not find it. I spaced, sorry. But I think the awesomemod over at More Awesome Than You fixes it...and its a mod that Pinstar allows. Check it out...just google Sims 3 awesomemod and you should find it. It has a LOT of other neat features...if you already have it and still have this issue, holla back...or if it fixes it...holla back.

Hope this helps. Oh, and I have no affiliation with MATY or awesomemod, other than I use their programs and site for help & downloads.

Happy Simming! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    KrellKrell Posts: 72 New Member
    edited August 2009
    aupdike50 wrote:
    Yo Krell...I think your "dirty dishes" on community lots that don't reset at midnight or whenever they are supposed to is a known bug. I went looking for where I read that but could not find it. I spaced, sorry. But I think the awesomemod over at More Awesome Than You fixes it...and its a mod that Pinstar allows. Check it out...just google Sims 3 awesomemod and you should find it. It has a LOT of other neat features...if you already have it and still have this issue, holla back...or if it fixes it...holla back.

Hope this helps. Oh, and I have no affiliation with MATY or awesomemod, other than I use their programs and site for help & downloads.

Happy Simming! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tip but I'm already using the Awesome mod. So far the cemetery hasn't been dirtied up again since I last cleaned it so maybe that means the messy sims have finally died. Serves 'em right, lol!
  • Options
    Xanita39Xanita39 Posts: 45 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Krell wrote:
    Thanks for the tip but I'm already using the Awesome mod. So far the cemetery hasn't been dirtied up again since I last cleaned it so maybe that means the messy sims have finally died. Serves 'em right, lol!

Ghosts can get pretty messy too :)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I have a question:
    my klepto went over to someone's house and she was hungry so i got something to eat out of her fridge and she kicked me out. So there my sim is, standing on that lady's lawn so i wanted to get back at her and steal something. she ended up stealing the lady's car. it was very expensive but is that allowed?
    like am i allowed to keep it? i don't wanna sell it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I have a question:
    my klepto went over to someone's house and she was hungry so i got something to eat out of her fridge and she kicked me out. So there my sim is, standing on that lady's lawn so i wanted to get back at her and steal something. she ended up stealing the lady's car. it was very expensive but is that allowed?
    like am i allowed to keep it? i don't wanna sell it.

Yeah, there's no longer anything against Kleptos stealing, and even selling what they steal. If you're keeping in, then yeah, definitely no problem as far as I can see.
  • Options
    themaberfathemaberfa Posts: 57 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Ugh so my computer messed up and I had to do a complete system restore on my computer, so I've lost my legacy.

I just got the Sims 3 re-installed today and I'm hopin I don't have all the problems with the new patches that everyone else seems to be.

I plan on starting a new legacy though.
  • Options
    SianystarSianystar Posts: 1,515 New Member
    edited August 2009
    themaberfa wrote:
    Ugh so my computer messed up and I had to do a complete system restore on my computer, so I've lost my legacy.

I just got the Sims 3 re-installed today and I'm hopin I don't have all the problems with the new patches that everyone else seems to be.

I plan on starting a new legacy though.

Oh blimey, I think I'd cry if that happened to me!! How far along were you?

I'm on my 4th gen now, blog's in the signature if anyone would like to take a look :)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Stormfeather .

as for themaberfa ,
    That's horrible that you had to do a system restore and lost your legacy. from now on, u would upload my family every now and then into your studio so that if you ever have to do a system restore again, you won't have to completely start from scratch.

I'm on Generation 2 actually. But the heiress of gen. 2, Isadora, just had twin boys.. well actually they just grew into toddlers. and her hubby is about to be an elder. so yepp. just thought i'd let everybody know(:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Anyone else having a problem with the game becoming unstable and crashing a lot? It seems to be getting worse the further into my legacy I get. For the first 3 generations or so I could run all day long without a single problem, never had any save game errors, etc. Then it started crashing randomly every great once in a while and by this point it's gotten to the point that I'm saving my game every half hour or so because I never know when it's going to crash. Sometimes it just crashes to the desktop without warning, sometimes it locks up when I'm switching between live and build modes, etc.

I haven't added any additional mods or anything like that since I started my legacy so the only real difference is that my game is obviously getting more complex with so much for the system to keep track of.
  • Options
    AiweAiwe Posts: 89 New Member
    edited August 2009
    My game crashes all the time and I don't have any mods, it did get worse and worse, but (touch wood) it seems to have got a little better now, I did take a whole week away from Sims though because I got tired of the groundhog day effect, I swear there was one Sim day when I ended up redoing it about five times before it finally saved properly I'd save and the save would crash so I'd have to go back to the back up and so on... it was a pain, I was beginning to think I'd never get to generation 4, but I have, there's 5 of them now.

Oh and I've updated my blog a bit, need to get up to where I'm playing really but playing is more fun than writing about it and I'm pretty sure no one reads it anyway.
  • Options
    Keona1Keona1 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Just found out about this Legacy Challenge. Sounds like fun & I'm ready to give it a try. Just wondering - has anyone made it through 10 Generations - by the rules - yet? :?:
  • Options
    Pinstar1161Pinstar1161 Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2009

I'd do something like make sure not to spend *any* of it (even if you "pay it back," you're giving yourself an advantage by being able to "borrow" it), then next Sim you move out, buy a really expensive house, for about 80,000 more than you'd normally have spent on them.

Or maybe go buy a WHOLE lot of birthday cakes, and wait for them to go bad. ;) But that'd get a bit annoying, I'm not sure how many cakes you can buy all at once, so it'd take a while. But it's a possibility.

Wait until you have a good or evil sim and have them donate 80 grand to a charity (or to undermine it)
    Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Twitter: @Pinstar
    Youtube

This account is now maintained by Pinstar's wife, Mystic.

Twitter: @Sims_Legacy

Official Legacy Challenge Site
  • Options
    Mandy347Mandy347 Posts: 255 Member
    edited August 2009

Wait until you have a good or evil sim and have them donate 80 grand to a charity (or to undermine it)

My evil, kleptomaniac founder pour a lot of her original funds into the undermining of Kleptomaniacs Anonymous. :) Her son, when he inherits, is in for a big surprise.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well my spare Natasha is quickly becoming the Black Widow of the family, hehe!

She burned her first husband alive shortly after their wedding in order to satisfy her LTW of Gold Digger.

She just married husband #2 as part of a revenge scheme and right away he gave her two more reasons to make his life a living heck. You see, when she was a teen Natasha got busted out after curfew by a cop named Christoper Cortes. Not long after she turned YA and joined the crime career path she got busted by him yet again while she was out on a job so she vowed to get revenge on him. Just killing him wasn't good enough and since she knew that she would soon be in the market for another husband she decided (OK, well I decided it really but it seems like something she would do) that she would seduce him, marry him, get pregnant, and then make him watch as she raised their child to be evil (although that last part will require a little luck on the trait rolls). Well she just married him and got two surprises that have set her plans back slightly. One, he achieved his LTW (Perfect Garden) the moment he moved in and someone else in the family has already done that one. And two, he's one day away from turning elder which means he's probably not going to be around long enough to accomplish much to benefit the family in terms of points or money. Natasha is still only about halfway through YA so she'll outlive him by a good amount of time.

Something tells me she's going to break the family record for the number of marriages with a possible husband number three...
  • Options
    haleym8826haleym8826 Posts: 40 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm still new to the pc sims. I am more used sot platform sims but i think i can do this. I'm pumped to try.
  • Options
    RicalynnRicalynn Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2009
    Well I just got to the part of my Legacy where I have to pick my first heir. I'm new to the story and legacy thing so here is my first try at both. Let me know what you think. I'm open for criticism.

The Madsen Legacy: Chapter 1

I also have a thread for choosing the next heir here.. Legacy Heir Choice

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Fantastic Rica. I love the story and the way you wrote it
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited August 2009
    Aiwe wrote:
    My game crashes all the time and I don't have any mods, it did get worse and worse, but (touch wood) it seems to have got a little better now, I did take a whole week away from Sims though because I got tired of the groundhog day effect, I swear there was one Sim day when I ended up redoing it about five times before it finally saved properly I'd save and the save would crash so I'd have to go back to the back up and so on... it was a pain, I was beginning to think I'd never get to generation 4, but I have, there's 5 of them now.
    and to also answer Krell.

I have had the same problem in a lot of my Legacies. I *THINK* it is because you play one lot for so very long that glitches start to accumulate. I am pretty sure that they attach to the lot rather than to the Sim. In TS2 I would just switch lots every generation. I don't know if this is allowed in the TS3 Legacy rules - but allowed or not, I'm going to have to do it soon.

I'm on generation 6 and my family is worth 1.5 million Simoleans as it is [their house is over 500,000 simoleans], frankly, I don't think moving to another lot at this point is going to make the game harder/ easier. I wish I could get Pinstar to rule on this issue.
  • Options
    joeysbbygirljoeysbbygirl Posts: 100 New Member
    edited August 2009
    ugh so im starting my like third legacy beginning.. cause my main computer won't run it so i've been switching back and forth between computers.. so i'm about to start another one and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about which is better:

Male or Female founder?
    Family Trait?
    Pick traits or randimize for founder?
    LTW for founder?

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions...
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ugh so im starting my like third legacy beginning.. cause my main computer won't run it so i've been switching back and forth between computers.. so i'm about to start another one and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about which is better:

Male or Female founder?
    Family Trait?
    LTW for founder?

I don't know about you but I am going to make my founder male.
    Um for my family trait (yes I will have one) i am going to do something like genius or ambitious.
    I would pick at least one trait (the family trait and then randomize the rest.
    And since you want to start a legacy with your family I would make the founder want to become the CEO of a major corporation so that you can get started early. Kinda do the whole "big business runs in the family" thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Male or Female founder?
    Family Trait?
    LTW for founder?

Hrm, well, of course it's all about what you'll enjoy playing. ;)

But if you want what's easier well...

Male and female founders each have their points. Female Founders/Heirs can get pregnant and always have the children on the Legacy lot, so they can just have one-night stands if they don't find a suitable husband or something. Male Founders/Heirs on the other hand have to have the woman move into the Legacy lot (even if they don't get married), but on the other hand, they can still father children as elders, so if you don't manage to juggle everything well enough to get married/have enough kids in the young adult/adult stages, you've still got a bit of time.

Male Founders and Heirs also have an advantage if they're going for a career-based LTW... since the fathers don't have to take leave when the kid's born, it doesn't impact their career when they have a lot of kids. With a female Heir/Founder though, maternity leave can *really* screw up trying to climb the career ladder.

Family Trait... well, I'm enjoying playing with the Bookworm Trait as my Family Trait, and I guess it's helpful, since it lets them read skill books faster, get enjoyment out of books they have to read that they might otherwise find boring, etc. Tons of other Traits could be good Family Traits though - like Lucky, or Kleptomaniac, or even Slob (don't get a negative impact from messes around the house, which can be helpful when starting a Legacy when you don't have time to do everything, and can't afford a maid.) Or you could decide you don't want to deal with it and just leave it out, but a useful Family Trait could probably make things easier.

For the Founder, picking the Traits would of course make it easier, since you can pick what would be most useful, and avoid the negative ones. Doing it randomly might be more fun/challenging though... really your call.

As for a LTW... I don't know what the easiest one would be. Maybe a quick one since you're juggling a ton of stuff at the start... like the Chess Master one (only need to maximize one skill - Logic - then beat a bunch of people at chess). The Culinary Librarian one is quick too, but would probably be awful when you're starting out, since you need the Ambrosia recipe which is really expensive, unless you luck out and get it from like an Opportunity or the cooking channel on TV. You could go with a Career-based one, but watch out for that if you're playing a female Founder.

Another good one might be "Illustrious Author" (I think that's the name of it), raising Writing and Painting both to max. Both skills can be useful for making a lot of extra money, which obviously is useful at the start of a Legacy. Or you could go with Professional Author, which is a certain amount of royalties per week ($4000 I think?) - that's the one my Founder started with. Although she was an elder by the time she finished, because she got distracted by too much other stuff starting out. :/

Or if you want to try to get *all* the LTW's done in the course of your Legacy, I might suggest you start with "Surrounded By Family," which is the one to raise 5 kids from infants to teens, since later on (when you've got family members still from previous generations, Spares still hanging around, etc.,) it'll be tough to find the room for all the kids. Even though raising that many kids when you have so little money is tough, it might be the best, especially since once the kids reach teen, they can get a part-time job to help the finances. This by the way is what my Founder's mate had, and I'm glad I got it out of the way then. Although raising so many kids was one of the reasons she didn't have time to finish her own LTW before elder. :p

Anyhow, hope all this helps!

• Options
    edited August 2009

Male or Female founder?
    Family Trait?
    LTW for founder?

I went with a matriarchy so it was a female founder for me but as someone else pointed out a male founder does have some advantages in terms of child birth not interfering with your career. However I found that if you time it right it doesn't make too much of an impact as long as you only have one or two children. If your career has two days off in a row try to time it so your maternity leave starts right before that two day period, then you only lose a couple of days because most of them you would have been off anyway.

Traits, obviously pick ones that will be an advantage based on which career you're planning to go in. Getting green thumb is handy because it can take a generation or two to get a really large and useful garden going and you'll want each generation to have at least one good gardener. Gardening offers lots of advantages (lots of wishes and opportunities, cash from extra crops, free food for the family, etc. not to mention money trees!)

The LTWs available to you are based on which traits you have and I've never seen a full listing telling which combination of traits gets you which LTWs. So sooner or later you'll probably be limited in which ones you can pick and you may even end up with at least one sim who can't do any of the ones available to him. I find the skill-based ones easier than the job related ones because you don't have to rely on the randomness of promotions plus you can do them even when you are on maternity leave. Just hang around the house all day and plug away at them.

Now for the family trait I started off with Family Oriented because I figured it made sense and I hoped that it would mean my sims would get lots of 'have children' related wishes. But I almost immediately stumbled across one I like a whole lot better, but you have to either have luck or some careful planning to acquire it right at the start with your founder. The trait is Pyromaniac, which is a hidden trait that firemen have. So far it has passed down from generation to generation in my family without fail. The reason it's so handy is that pyros can turn normal fruit into flame fruit, and when a pyro eats a flame fruit they get a nice boost to hunger, fun and energy. So it's great for those times when your bars are all running low but you still need to get something done. The only problem is in order to bring it in to your first generation you need to have your founder marry a fireman. About the only direct way to do that is hope for a fire in your house (or create one) and then chat up one of the firefighters who arrive. In my case I got it without realizing it or trying for it. My founder married George Dean (in Riverview) and although he is a policeman in his bio it mentions that he used to be a firefighter. He had it and so far every descendant of his has had it.
  • Options
    SonshineSonshine Posts: 53 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Are collection items, such as rocks, insects and seeds subject to the black market restriction?

No, you are allowed to sell any collection items you find...as long as they weren't stolen out of someone's house or garbage.

Is this a typo? I'm wondering b/c unless somebody knows somewhere else to get it, I've only found the pink diamond in a garbage can. I'm playing in Riverview. And getting stuff out of the garbage is not stealing. It's thrown away, lol. I can se not getting things out of their house, but not being able to sell collectibles we get from the garbage is a bit unreasonable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top