The latest update addressed the crashing issue that some of you have been experiencing, Click here to found out more!
November 27 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

Why now, why 40 bucks, why world adventures!

Comments

  • FelidaeEvolFelidaeEvol Posts: 48
    edited August 2009
    Don't want it then don't buy it.
  • ChessackChessack Posts: 227
    edited August 2009
    marie25 wrote:
    By not buying the game so they will lower there prices is not going to do anything.

    I disagree. Not buying an EP because you think it has been over-priced does several important things:

    1) It saves you $40, which you can spend on another game or EP that was priced more appropriately, or on other things like clothes.

    2) It guarantees that you won't feel taken advantage of by a company that is clearly over-charging out of pure greed.

    3) If enough people do this... that is, if they sell a million less units than they expected or something... they will feel it, and it *will* hurt.

    The sting of losing customers has forced many a company to change its tune, and its products. You may be right in the sense that it probably won't work, but only because most people will just go the route of the sheep flock and buy whatever EA offers. History shows again and again that when consumers work together en masse with their custom (such as boycotts in the old days), it does work, and companies do respond (they have to, or they go out of business).
    marie25 wrote:
    Have you looked at the prices for games lately. All games are going up not just ea games.

    Several people have made this statement, and it is demonstrably false. For at least the last 10 years, the standard price for a full game release has been $40-$60, with a median price of $50. The standard price for expansions has been $20-$35, with a more "typical" price being around $30. This price has not changed, and the best evidence for that is the release price of Sims 3 itself, which was $50 for the regular game ("collectors' editions" don't count). I was just in Best Buy on Saturday. ALL of the just-released full games are still around $50 in price (some a bit more, like $54.99, but all are about there).

    Heck go to bestbuy.com right now, and take a look at their games. Look at the hot new titles coming out:

    Champions Online - $49.99
    Aion - $49.99
    Bioshock 2 (PC version) - $49.99
    Starcraft 2 - $59.99
    CrimeCraft - $49.99

    That's the same price games were in 2001, 2002, 2003... There is zero evidence that the price of games has increased lately.

    Again, games are luxury items. People are hurting in this economy. If they want to sell, they need to be aware of this fact and realize that the prices they used to charge are the max they should be releasing for.

    C
  • liljdub08liljdub08 Posts: 6
    edited August 2009
    Well im not buying this until i see some GOOD gameplay of it
  • marie25marie25 Posts: 488
    edited August 2009
    I have seen best buy prices. Ya they are high. I dont shop there cause the nearest best buy is a hour away so i shop at gamestop and thats were i have my pre-order thrue for this game. All i'm saying is all game prices are high no matter what you do, and theres nothing you can do. As I said i would like it cheaper and i understand it is hard on peaple to be able to aford them. But you are not going to get enough peaple from buying the game so that they will lower the prices. They will make it up in other sales. I'm sorry if i affended anyone.
  • MooMonkeyMooMonkey Posts: 1,066 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Feldynn wrote:
    It's amazing what you can do with the edit button isn't it ;).

    I'm telling you that the last edit was only for editing the word "the" that was typed "teh" in the message earlier. The time before that was when I added the whole "there's no sense in complaining" paragraph.

    And how am I supposed to believe you didn't change it? You can edit quotes too.
    Feldynn wrote:
    I'm obviously just a troll that should never be on the forums.

    It's not that hard to do.
  • FeldynnFeldynn Posts: 331 New Member
    edited August 2009
    MooMonkey wrote:
    Feldynn wrote:
    It's amazing what you can do with the edit button isn't it ;).

    I'm telling you that the last edit was only for editing the word "the" that was typed "teh" in the message earlier. The time before that was when I added the whole "there's no sense in complaining" paragraph.

    And how am I supposed to believe you didn't change it? You can edit quotes too.
    Feldynn wrote:
    I'm obviously just a troll that should never be on the forums.

    It's not that hard to do.

    Perhaps because I'm not the only one who quoted your original post, before you changed it?

    Sure the 2nd edit might have been to fix a typo, and you admit the first edit was to put in the "there's no sense in complaining.." line .. how are we supposed to believe the first edit (or the 2nd for that matter) wasn't just to add a new line but to amend your original post once you got called out on the comment you made?

    I saw your original unedited post and I quoted from your original unedited post, and I wasn't the only one to do so.

    At the end of the day it's only your word against mine, but we both know what you originally wrote and we both know that you changed your post afterwards in an effort to conceal it. And got caught backtracking, trying to change your story..

    And at the end, you resort to name calling, go you ;)
  • venenosocialvenenosocial Posts: 24
    edited August 2009
    Am I the only one who hates the whole "If you don't like it, don't buy it" argument? We're not in here to mope about and complain just to get our fix of negativity in. I, for one, am in here criticizing the flaws EA has made so that hopefully they will SEE them and FIX them. Sure, let's all just roll over as a community and let them raise the price of EPs from here on out. All that shows EA is that they've got an addicted fan base that'll pay anything for their EPs without complaint.

    Personally, paying the extra $10 isn't going to burn a hole in my wallet. It's the concept of EA actually trying to make us pay $40 for an EP that is the injustice to me, as touched upon by my fellow Simmers:

    1) You get $10 "free" in Simpoints with this EP, although the cost is clearly reflected in the price. My main concern with this issue is this: EA is going to skimp down on the amount of haircuts, clothing, and furniture in the actual game itself because the player will be getting the "free" Simpoints to purchase exactly what they want online. This becomes a DOUBLE injustice, in my opinion. A) You're paying for something that is supposedly "free", and B) The content (at least in terms of clothing, hair, and objects) will be much less than in a typical Sims 2 EP which ran for $10 less.

    2) I understand the perspective about the price paid per hour played of the Sims 3 vs movies, or what have you. If that philosophy makes you all warm and toasty, power to you (although, I may point out that reading books and watching television are more cost-efficient). In MY perspective, I don't look at the game's cost vs its entertainment value (because, as I've said before, I can find much cheaper entertainment), I look at its cost vs its worth. EA spent an immensely long time creating the Sims 3 base game and, as such, they charged $50 for it. Great! I'm more than willing to pay $50 for a game that took so much effort to make. But now they're trying to tell us that this EP alone cost almost as much time, energy, and money to produce as the base game? I highly doubt it. $40/game to basically add in 3 new neighborhoods where the Sims have a different colored skin and your Sim can disappear behind more unprogrammed rabbitholes - heck, sign ME up to make an EP. I'd make a fortune!

    That being said, I WILL be most likely buying World Adventures and I probably will enjoy it, at least for awhile. As I said earlier, I'm not critical of the Sims 3 because I hate it and want everyone to stop playing it - I'm critical because I LOVE the whole Sims franchise and want EA to improve it so that it can reach its full potential (while still being accessible and affordable). I don't know about you guys, but I am not one for settling at "ok".

    Unfortunately, I see this as a beginning of the end for the Sims game line. EA is getting out of touch with their product and their fan base. Costs are going up, content is lacking, Simmers opinions are not being heard... Yes, the economy is bad. However, in my opinion, that means companies like EA need to step up to EARN their money, not raise prices and cut services. Honestly, just LOOK at the state of the forums. There were NEVER nearly as many complaints about the Sims 2 as there are now about the Sims 3. Honestly, every other thread is a criticism. Now, the lot of you can go on and say how wrong all those people are to be complaining, but the truth of the matter is that those people are the ones that may not be paying the Sims' game designers checks this year, so they seriously better re-evaluate what they're doing and fix it soon if they want their company to stay afloat.

    It's sad and I'm sad, but unless there are serious drastic turns with the next EP, I'll be leaving the Sims forever (I've been playing since Livin' Large :cry: )
  • Maylu1654Maylu1654 Posts: 74
    edited August 2009
    $40?


    Wow here it will be like $60 or $70... -_-... oh well i get $10 off of the ep anyway... -_-

    but it will be an interesting ep
  • singledominican757singledominican757 Posts: 14
    edited August 2009
    40 bucks that a whole game geez. I personally will wait until someone on amazon sells it for used or something. If it was like 25 then I would get it. How many people are actually using the extra points? I don't see anything worth getting with the points from the regular game. I also wondered why this is coming out and the serious bugs in sims 3 haven't even been fixed.
  • Alura1Alura1 Posts: 480 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think this pack has major potential - I have to wait to hear more about it... especially the specs, my loser lappy isn't so great! lol.
  • CumoreCumore Posts: 5
    edited August 2009
    Not a fan of the price primarily because I paid 49.99 for the retail game and this expansion will be apparently 39.99 USD or somehow 49.99 Canadian. They always add 10 dollars to the price for video games up here and I assume this game will be just the same, which is strange since our dollar is almost on par with yours. It's sitting at like .92 cents today. Aside from that, it's a really interesting premise and I will probably get it but honestly will probably wait til it comes down to 30-40 dollars for me.
  • CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Am I the only one who hates the whole "If you don't like it, don't buy it" argument?

    Count me in on that with you. :D
    Unfortunately, I see this as a beginning of the end for the Sims game line. EA is getting out of touch with their product and their fan base.

    Gesh, I hope not. But I think you are correct when you say EA is getting out of touch with their product and the fan base. Well, at least a certain set of their fan base.
    It's sad and I'm sad, but unless there are serious drastic turns with the next EP, I'll be leaving the Sims forever (I've been playing since Livin' Large :cry: )

    I know I'm thinking the same way.... that is if future EPs turn out to be like this first one I may have to rethink my Sims3 playing.

    Note: Not that I don't like the base game because I do I'm just not keen on how the game appears to be changing it’s path with what we know so far about the first EP. Time will tell.

  • OpmystikOpmystik Posts: 1,720 New Member
    edited August 2009
    But it is just common sense that if you don't like something you don't buy it. It's not an argument it's sensible. Now besides that I almost totally agree with you venenosocial. But you don't have the statistics of the fan base to know if they are not in tune with their fan base. Alot of people have said since original sims that they want more cultural and historical stuff. I think this ep may bring that to the table and hopefully it will do it right. I think that this ep may have been in the workings since the base game was originally supposed to come out in February. I mean CAN'T swear to that but think about it they felt like they were pretty much done and set it for Feb then changed their mind at the last minute possible. They probably only had like 1 or 2 things left to do with it but decided ot move it back to the original release date in June.

    I beleive that those "free" simpoints might just be to blame as to why it's $10 more but it also could be the new technology of the seamless neighborhood that we could be paying to. And yeah there might be more rabbitholes but seeing that we don't know all the information the ones you have to explore for the adventures could actually not be rabbitholes. I mean I doubt that you can adventure in a rabbithole. How will you know what to pick up and what not to pick up? lol.

    We could always wait until it goes on sale. I would say give it 3 weeks after release. I work at wally world only on the weekends and I will be using the 10% discount to get the game and I am gonna try to wait until it's on sale even though I'm excited about this ep. I don't see that happening I'll probably buy it the first day. :lol:
  • FeldynnFeldynn Posts: 331 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Opmystik wrote:
    But it is just common sense that if you don't like something you don't buy it. It's not an argument it's sensible.

    It's not the logic behind the arguement, rather it's use as the only form of comeback or counter point to peoples' dissatisfaction that Venenosocial is talking about I think. You are right that it is the more sensible approach in the long run, not to buy something you don't like. It's when someone says "I don't like this because..." and all that's fired back is "Well if you don't like it, don't buy it.", it's like people aren't taking the time to try and understand why that person doesn't like it and just want them to stop talking about their dislike, if that makes sense? :)
    1) You get $10 "free" in Simpoints with this EP, although the cost is clearly reflected in the price. My main concern with this issue is this: EA is going to skimp down on the amount of haircuts, clothing, and furniture in the actual game itself because the player will be getting the "free" Simpoints to purchase exactly what they want online. This becomes a DOUBLE injustice, in my opinion. A) You're paying for something that is supposedly "free", and B) The content (at least in terms of clothing, hair, and objects) will be much less than in a typical Sims 2 EP which ran for $10 less.

    And to add to that point, I'd be willing to bet that on the day it's released any new EP themed content that becomes available from The Store costs WAY more than the 1000 "free" points they're giving us. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this in The Store.. (See note at bottom)

    4 hairstyles (2 male, 2 female) - 75 to 100 points each
    8 clothing items (mix of male / female) - 75 to 100 points each
    3 sets of furniture items (1 for each theme) - 600 to 1000 points per set

    If everything's at the minimum possible price that's 300 + 600 + 1800 = 2700 - 1000 = 1700 (or $17 USD). Obviously anything you buy from The Store is totally an optional purchase and you wouldn't need to buy it to successfully play the Sims 3 or the new EP, I just have sense of foreboding (a bad feeling if you will) about how The Store is going to play a role in the content of this and future expansions.

    PLEASE NOTE: That is just a theoretical suggestion or prediction of what prices and content may be sold through The Store when the new EP is released, it is by no means an actual forecast or any kind of insider information .. I'm just guessing based on what I've seen thus far.
  • BiffelBiffel Posts: 4
    edited August 2009
    Well honestly I think you shouldn't go out the first day and buy it. I mean if you're that bored with the game already you'll be the same before the next EP comes out. Most places lower the price about $10 after a month or so. Like I waited a month and a half before getting Sims 3 and instead of buying at $90, I got the game AND collectors guide for about $70.
  • OpmystikOpmystik Posts: 1,720 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Lol Feldynn I see where you are probably right about the content for the ep that will probably show up in the store. It might even be there before the ep is even out like the store was browsable before the game even came out in June. I haven't bought anything from the store but I do have store content because of my 1000 simpoints. More and more people are actually finding the store stuff elsewhere. The internet is a powerful thing. How much you wanna bet that once the ep comes out people are going to have a torrent for it? There's one for the base game and also there are ones for TS2 and those eps and stuff packs. It's ridiculous but I see where some people feel that that was the only way they could screw EA over. Did it totally work no but it was a good effort on their part. And no I am not promoting to just download a torrent. Piracy is wrong no matter how wronged you feel by a company.

    I have no problem buying the actually eps I do however take issue with the store. I do not like putting mods or cc from non creators of games just cause I have had a bad experience with my TS2 games and uninstalling and reinstalling all the games because of it and yes it was a pain. That also limits my luxury in the game. lol. Not really I just work with what I have and proceed to move on.

    When it all boils down to it EA is trying to make ends meat too. They have to pay everybody and just like we feel the sting and are trying to pinch our wallets is the same way they do and are trying to keep their employees. The EA staff works just like we do and I'm willing to bet that alot of their staffers have degrees and whatnot even with the lack of good designing skills interior and designer for clothes roflmao. We can complain about the price and the game but regardless people were working hard on it and they need to continue to get paid so they will make more games hopefully next time it's the one you wanted. But if ti isn't that doesn't really warrant as complaints either cause even though they didn't make one that makes you happy doesn't mean it didn't make other people happy. We are only human we find the need to complain and be negative more then to be positive. Ya'll hear 10 more times when people are unhappy then when they are happy.

    I'm not trying to encourage anyone to buy the game but what I am saying is the same way you like getting a paycheck when you do your job their employees need the money as well to pay their bills. So yeah it's a bit more then we expected but you shouldn't boycott it because of the price, you should boycott it cause it's not what you want or you don't see it benefiting you or your gameplay. Plus with all the details no where near being fully out it might be a whole lot more interactive or may have more elements from other eps that they have done before and that's why it costs more. The thing is we don't know we could assume either way. If we aim low then we won't be disappointed. I know that didn't come out right. lol

    Please Note: I do know that I am longwinded and I'm sorry. lol
  • Teasim2Teasim2 Posts: 28 New Member
    edited August 2009
    personally i don't think they are ever going to release a stuff pack. that is what the store is for. as for world adventures, i REALLY think that they should have started with an entirely new idea for the first Expansion. like they did with university. and they should continue to alternate new and remixes. they got that system right in the Sims 2 so they should continue in the Sims 3.
  • dathespian1dathespian1 Posts: 17
    edited August 2009
    Chessack is the only person on this thread that makes sense.
  • warnergirlswarnergirls Posts: 298
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for your input everyone! New perspectives help. I will try to stop complaining- sorry.
  • Hana_BorealisHana_Borealis Posts: 347 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Hmm...that is a bit pricy for an expansion. I think I'll wait and see.

    Actually, what I'd really like to see is the kinks ironed out and a lot of the major complaints addressed, like the loss of wishes/inventory if you change families, before we get an EP.

  • monkymn00monkymn00 Posts: 948 Member
    edited August 2009
    Hmm...that is a bit pricy for an expansion. I think I'll wait and see.

    Actually, what I'd really like to see is the kinks ironed out and a lot of the major complaints addressed, like the loss of wishes/inventory if you change families, before we get an EP.

    Well because of story progression the wishes are lost. The game tells you that, so I don't really see a problem with it. And as for inventory, yeah, that does kidn of stink. And someone earlier said they only paid $70 for the game. That's crazy, I paid $50 when it first came out. Where did you buy it from?
  • StormyluvStormyluv Posts: 99 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

    What the heck? Now the EP is too expensive? You guys are the most annoying thing ever to happen the sims-franchise.

    Please.
    Be happy for once.


    I agree completely!
  • Jenja223Jenja223 Posts: 23 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Part of me is pleased to hear complaints over the EPs price - it's the mark of being a sensible/conscientious consumer I think, a necessary thing with the current economy.

    While I do feel that it is a tad expensive, I have come to the conclusion that part of that is due to the fact that it is $40 spent all at once. Simply put, say I go to the movies every Friday night for a month, no biggie, it becomes a weekly $10 spent. My brain is comfortable with that seemingly tiny amount of money spent, but when I look at it as spending $40 it feels like I'm spending more despite being the same amount.

    So I have a few months to stop looking at that 40 dollars as such a mountain and cut it down to a more comfortable thought - something which a loose change jar can help nicely with :D

    Anyways, it can't hurt to speak up and say "whoah, that seems pricey", you never know - maybe it could cause a change :/
  • mofursmofurs Posts: 87 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Whats the point of adding $10 in free points if your gona be jacking the price by $10? Greed
  • DreamsthatkillmeDreamsthatkillme Posts: 80
    edited August 2009
    Wow 40 dollars? thats almost as much as the base game...thats really sad and it might not even be worth it I could see myself paying 30 dollars for it but 40? ....they need to reprice things. WHAT HAS EA DONE!?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top