Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why now, why 40 bucks, why world adventures!

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    DreamsthatkillmeDreamsthatkillme Posts: 80 New Member
    edited August 2009
    monkymn00 wrote:
    Hmm...that is a bit pricy for an expansion. I think I'll wait and see.

Actually, what I'd really like to see is the kinks ironed out and a lot of the major complaints addressed, like the loss of wishes/inventory if you change families, before we get an EP.

Well because of story progression the wishes are lost. The game tells you that, so I don't really see a problem with it. And as for inventory, yeah, that does kidn of stink. And someone earlier said they only paid $70 for the game. That's crazy, I paid $50 when it first came out. Where did you buy it from?

My game cost like 80 or 90 dollars because I pre-ordered the special edition and all it came with was a free car download which they ended up just putting in the store later on and it came with a usb plumbob which is only like I think 4gb or 2 so lame.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited August 2009
    Jenja223 wrote:
    Part of me is pleased to hear complaints over the EPs price - it's the mark of being a sensible/conscientious consumer I think, a necessary thing with the current economy.

I agree. Some here sound like brainwashed consumers.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Tenshi3Tenshi3 Posts: 2,653 New Member
    edited August 2009
    mofurs wrote:
    Whats the point of adding $10 in free points if your gona be jacking the price by $10? Greed

Hey yeah...

Can I have it cheaper since I won't bother with anything the store has anyway? 8)
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited August 2009
    Nope. No doubts here.
    But what.. ?
    The price of Expansion Packs went up 10 dollars?
    That's a little disappointing. :x

If that's true. These expansion packs need to be BIGGER.
    With more in them, more to do. *Sighs*
  • Options
    Targ999Targ999 Posts: 45 New Member
    edited August 2009
    A key element here is what improvements will there be to the overall game, not just places to go and such. If all you get is some new "neighborhoods" that link back in to the main one, but with no major gameplay changes like career paths, updates to make the existing neighborhoods larger, etc, then for just the items and the "destinations", $40 seems a bit much.

Base game is $50, and includes a LOT. Expansion is tiny by comparison and costs $40. Why not just give us an account key that will automatically patch us up to give us the new content then, and charge us only $20 since the cost of the game disc, packaging, and distribution would be lower?
  • Options
    MitchZer0MitchZer0 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2009
    well, every new pc game is $40

don't like it? too bad, sorry, you still have a chance to get it for christmas
  • Options
    BD5141BD5141 Posts: 3,044 Member
    edited August 2009
    To the original poster

Every expansion is and was $40 and if you only spent $100 on Sims 2 and expansions then you haven't been playing Sims for very long (I've spent hundreds of dollars on Sims 2) because you must have gotten your expansions on sale which only happened towards the end of Sims 2. Even the original Sims was around that price but all Sims 2 expansions was $40 and stuff packs was $19.99 from day one. There is 8 Sims 2 Expansions and 8 Stuff Packs.
  • Options
    FeldynnFeldynn Posts: 331 Member
    edited August 2009
    BD5141 wrote:
    To the original poster

Every expansion is and was $40 and if you only spent $100 on Sims 2 and expansions then you haven't been playing Sims for very long (I've spent hundreds of dollars on Sims 2) because you must have gotten your expansions on sale which only happened towards the end of Sims 2. Even the original Sims was around that price but all Sims 2 expansions was $40 and stuff packs was $19.99 from day one. There is 8 Sims 2 Expansions and 8 Stuff Packs.

I have the original receipts and price tags for Sims 2 Apartment Life and Freetime, both brought soon after the release date, both were $29.99 and neither were on sale.
  • Options
    OpmystikOpmystik Posts: 1,720 New Member
    edited August 2009
    You know what I just thought mayb we're paying for the fact that it is for both mac/pc. I remember reading a thread where a mac user said it had always been $10 more for them. Now they have a game that can play on both from jump. That wouldn't be fair for us pc users but I can see where it wouldn't bother or even affect the mac users. Oh here's the link with details except system requirements which I have still yet to find.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/thesims3worldadventures/news.html?sid=6215362&mode=previews

Now with more detail to me this ep definately sounds pretty cool. As I said at least to me
  • Options
    martymcflymartymcfly Posts: 472 Member
    edited August 2009
    I have the original receipts and price tags for Sims 2 Apartment Life and Freetime, both brought soon after the release date, both were $29.99 and neither were on sale.

You're right. And it never varied. Every expansion pack sold for that price $US and every stuff pack sold for $19.99, and I too still have the cases with the price tags. But then you get used to people throwing prices and numbers on here with nothing but the fact that they want to fit the numbers to fit their argument to back them up.

But let's be real about this price increase. It has nothing at all to do with increased developmental costs. They are going to charge it because they can and think they can ride back into profitability by upping the price on their most successful franchise. The only thing wrong with that is that EA is not in the dire straits they like you to think they are. Besides bad decisions all over their place, a good bit of their loss has to do with fancy bookkeeping.
    "In a post-earnings conference call, EA CEO John Riccitiello blamed the ongoing recession and "the impact of deferred revenue" for the deficit. His company revealed that, outside of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), its net loss was just $6 million, versus a net non-GAAP loss of $135 million from April-June 2008. Its non-GAAP revenues were $816 million, and its non-GAAP loss per share was just $0.02, up from a $0.42 loss per share during the year prior" So while publicizing they lost .42 cents a share, it was actually only .02 a share, and those losses come from bad decision making the running of the company in general."

But I won't go into the bad decision making. It's a long laundry list I won't post here because you wouldn't want to read it and after I did post it, some of you would still blame the price increase on anything you can dream up to rationalize it instead of the real reason behind it.

The Sims is profitable already at the current price and the Sims 3 made a bunch of money for EA. The Sims 3 Store is pure gravy, pure profit, a little cream on the top of their coffee. So they have decided that they can raise the price on what is at its very heart just a game add on.
    "The company singled out Fight Night Round 4, EA Sports Active, and The Sims 3 as its top earners, with the latter two games selling 1.8 million and 3.7 million worldwide, respectively"
    So to say they need the store for profitability on this game or that they need to raise the price of the expansion for the Sims to be profitable is just the usual EA Cowplant BS 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

Okay, so why raise the price? It's a calculated move made by the power that is known as John Rottenchilli to rake in more dough. The calculation is that the loss of customers will be outweighed by the extra cash from the price increase. And that's all it is. Nothing more, nothing less. Really rather simple when you stop to think about it. No price increase, and they still make a big profit on the game. Price increase, and they believe they can make an even greater profit.

And the 1000 points? Some of you seem to think that the extra ten dollars is to pay for that. Uh, no its not. Those will be written off as a corporate advertising expense come tax time. Each time they give away $10 worth of stuff at the store, it's deducted the same way as if they had paid for a commercial. It's an advertising expense.

And it's as simple as that. EA is not this benevolent corporation out to look after your well being. And unless these decisions begin to affect their bottom line on the Sims 3 franchise, they could care less what any of us think. That means me, you, and all those who think continually singing their praises 100 per cent all the time will buy themselves a ticket into some kind of Sim Utopia heaven when they die. That would be interesting.

So if you say $10 bucks more is no big deal, that's fine. But if you think EA is suddenly going to quit making your favorite game because some of us see the price increase for what it is, I don't know why you're so worried. That isn't about to happen as long as there are enough happy campers in Sim Land.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    PhantasyGurlPhantasyGurl Posts: 185 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I don NOT think $40 is alot of money when most people buy many things that prob cost more. It is not like it's $100 per EP..just being honest. Unless you are dirt poor -- if you can afford a computer you can afford an EP. :shock:

Now I am unsure if I want it but prob knowing myself I'll get it. I love new things for my game. :mrgreen:

Ps..if you are really that broke save $10 (a week) for 4 weeks. You will be good.
  • Options
    sgreen37sgreen37 Posts: 821 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm worried that I'm gonna spend 40$ on it, come home, install the game, start playing it and then it crashes after 10 minutes of gameplay.
  • Options
    martymcflymartymcfly Posts: 472 Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm worried that I'm gonna spend 40$ on it, come home, install the game, start playing it and then it crashes after 10 minutes of gameplay.

Of course, that's if you can get it to install at all.
    Ps..if you are really that broke save $10 (a week) for 4 weeks. You will be good.

Do you know what being able to afford this has to do with it? Nothing. Just because you can afford it is no reason to go out and buy something sight unseen with nothing more than corporate blurbs to tell you how great it is.
  • Options
    FluzzyFluzzy Posts: 28 Member
    edited August 2009
    If you only spent that much for Sim 2, you must not have gotten all the expansions or bought black market, even now to get all of the Sims 2 costs quiet more then just a hundred dollars.

However, I felt almost like just tossing the Sims 3 after I bought it and realized one of my favorite parts about the sims were gone; so unless that's fixed I don't think I am really interested in the game expansion...
  • Options
    SUPERGUY557SUPERGUY557 Posts: 179 New Member
    edited August 2009
    :x there are more places,items, and sims so what if it's 10 extra dollars for the simpoints do you think if 1 simpoint is worth a dollar and you still get 1,000 simpoints the price would go up 1,000 dollars.
  • Options
    buffleebufflee Posts: 258 New Member
    edited August 2009
    :x there are more places,items, and sims so what if it's 10 extra dollars for the simpoints do you think if 1 simpoint is worth a dollar and you still get 1,000 simpoints the price would go up 1,000 dollars.

And how do you know that there will be more items and clothing?!
  • Options
    doodlesamdoodlesam Posts: 6,365 New Member
    edited August 2009
    bufflee wrote:

And how do you know that there will be more items and clothing?!

Good post!
    I don't understand how people already seem to know that this expansion will have more content...
    If EA said this expansion included a ticket to the moon would everyone believe them...?
    ...I'm starting to think some people would... :?
  • Options
    Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited August 2009
    doodlesam wrote:

Good post!
    I don't understand how people already seem to know that this expansion will have more content...
    If EA said this expansion included a ticket to the moon would everyone believe them...?

I have this awful feeling that we're going too see posts on the forum now saying '$40 is not expensive because I read somewhere that EA are giving away tickets to the moon with it'
  • Options
    marie25marie25 Posts: 488 New Member
    edited August 2009
    he's getting it from from here http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/sims-3/785969-world-adventures-what-rip-off.html#post10863697

EAUK_Adroit has posted down to the middle the reason for it being higher

it says:
    Hi, the pricing is a little higher than The Sims 2 expansions for some of the following reasons:

World Adventures provides lots of additional gameplay and items, plus adds storyline elements by building on goal oriented gameplay from base game
    It offers $10 (£6) value of SimPoints to be spent on TS3 Store
    It offers access to an Explorer’s kit - 15 exclusive valuable items to be downloaded upon product registration
  • Options
    marie25marie25 Posts: 488 New Member
    edited August 2009
    oh i dont want to go to the moon. I would like a ticket to go to paris.
  • Options
    doodlesamdoodlesam Posts: 6,365 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Claire17 wrote:
    doodlesam wrote:

Good post!

I have this awful feeling that we're going too see posts on the forum now saying '$40 is not expensive because I read somewhere that EA are giving away tickets to the moon with it'

:shock:...Uh oh, :lol:

• Options
    TorzalaTorzala Posts: 7 New Member
    edited August 2009
    i really want a new expansion but, what am i suppose to do in the world explorer ep?? is it like sims2's bonvoyage?? i want to know! also make it a low price! please, im broke lol :(
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited August 2009
    When that translates to £40 (which is the current listing price for this expansion pack on GAME) then it IS expensive. There's no dodging around the subject here - I paid £40 for the base game (yes I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere but my store of choice is GAME).

Now I'm used to seeing PC games retail for between £25 and £35 whereas the console games always seem to retail higher at £40-£50 BUT I just assumed it was because unlike the PC ports of console games, TS3 was PC only (I know-I know there's an iphone game and whatnot but I mean the proper game). I have to say I was initially very disappointed with the game when I first installed it and played it - the gameplay felt so limited and EA's 'customize everything' was a load of bull (but what else is new? I'm used to their false advertising by now). After a while I got used to the game, grew to like it but now I'm just bored with it.

The EP does not make me want to spend another £40 just for the privilage of another content-sparse game where the store will benefit more from it than I will.

EA have taken enough of my money. The sad thing is I had prepared myself for a price hike. It happened with the original sims and I assumed it was because it was new gen so I did foot the bill when it came to TS2 but I was expecting the price to go up to £25 or £30 at the most, not £40 just so I can have some 'free' simpoints that I don't want!

As for those of you who think EA can do no wrong - call me out on complaining, tell me to stop whining - I really couldn't care less anymore. You may be so blinded by your rose-tinted glasses or have your heads shoved so far up EA's ******* that you can't see how downright WRONG this is but I'm not blinded by such things.

£40 for an expansion pack - get stuffed. ¬¬

Edit: I worded a line badly ^_^;;