Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sunlit Tides is WAYYYY Too Expensive! Are You Kidding Me?!

Comments

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited August 2012
    darrqqrrad wrote:
    I shouldn't say this .. but .. I just can't stop myself.
    To the OP and the people that are saying the store worlds are way to expensive and you would never pay that for a world .... then why in the heck do you guys have it in most of your wish lists??????
    Is it for the generous people out there???
    This thread sickens me ... REALLY ... that is just wrong !!!!
    I agree if you are going to complain the world is so expensive and have it in your wish list for someone else to buy for that s just wrong. The world isn't that expensive and its actually worth the money.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited August 2012
    Even if you compare store sets to stuff packs the store sets usually costs more. Everything in the store costs more. Having the ability to purchase items individually and getting contents almost bi-weekly is a good thing, and with those perks comes a higher price tag.

Store:

- sets almost bi-weekly/monthly.
    - higher price tag "per item".

EP/SP:

- Every 6 months (with the exception of special stuff packs and Seasons)
    - lower price tag "per item".

Also, you're not going to die if you don't get a new world or store set right when they come out. Be smart about your money and wait for simpoints/store sales, rather than complaining about their prices.

^

Best advice anyone can give, imo
  • Options
    sims96fansims96fan Posts: 203
    edited August 2012
    The Gold edition of ST is actually only $26.31 at the biggest simpoint bundle price, which is far less than an EP, or you could always wait for other sales and discounts. You can't buy EPs with simpoints. If you want something right away, it's naturally going to be more expensive than months down the road, same with the EPs.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited August 2012
    Or many people can start to look at it this way. Our expansions cost around 30 to 40 dollars at time, with the stuff packs costing about 20.00 dollars. Where as many games on the market have already moved up to 60.00 or higher. That also includes their expansions are usually at that price. Not that im defending this price hike with the worlds. However you do need to consider that with expansions and stuff pack pricing stays low where do you think EA will make up the costs.

That is the idea of cash shop games and the Sims 3 is no exception. They can charge low prices to free for the base game and expansions and make a killer profit from the store. Keep that in mind as the game moves to sims 4 and you are not wanting to pay 60.00 dollars an expansion or 30.00 for a stuff pack.

The game has long been developed and centered around customizing your game beyond just fashion. This also pours into both game play as well. Take a good look anyone notice any price reductions in that store on items that have lost their sales. Nope and you won't see them. They'll go on sale yes but again dlc allows marketing to have more price control on their product. If it doesn't sell it's discontinued or vaulted as they say.

Though do i think now is the time to start raising costs to the store, maybe quite a lot of people are antsy over seasons and supernatural and need something to hold them over. It's perfect timing on marketing's part to release the map and at the price it is. Should it be considered greedy if that's the case. Pfft no, why so you're the consumerbase stop buying it if you feel it's not worth the money. It teaches EA to reevaluate their costs and their product. Grugingly buying things is not going to change anything. In the least christmas seasons is around the corner a little Holiday sale incentive won't hurt.

Here's another food for thought, as the the world practices more on globalization, products also need to be priced to meet not just the costs of here in America but also in other countries. Especially where the american dollar is starting to be of less value in many regions. Now that's not such a big deal atm but it certainly does show when EU costs for the game are much higher than ours at times.

That being said i do think that people are leaving one important factor in both this world and lp. Both have had go beyond just creating meshes and reskinning buildings. Both introduce more interactions as well as having to take the coding to engineering to insure some things work. That means they must pay outside their department for work done to both worlds. Now that may run the costs up for store content and everyone would argue well why didn't that bring the costs of expansions up. Again that brings me to my first point to have low costs in ep's you make up for it elsewhere the store is that place. Wether it's the store or expansions it's all the sims division that money has to turn over profit not just stay afloat. The sims division is based more than just in the U.S.A.
  • Options
    ashleyadorableashleyadorable Posts: 7,254 Member
    edited August 2012
    It's because EA realizes that people are actually going to buy it. And people are! So they're getting more money for it being more expensive. They have gotten to the points where they have reliable customers and they know everyone wants Sunlit Tides SO they're going to buy it. Therefore more money...
  • Options
    chasingAJchasingAJ Posts: 802 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Do any of you realize how much time it takes to make a world or good CC? I've used free user created worlds and then modified them and it took hours per lot to make the houses and community lots the way I like them.

I think people have a right to ask to be compensated for their work. You have a right to say no and not use their work. But calling someone greedy because they want to be paid for the work they do is ridiculous. Greed is demanding that someone else do work for your benefit without you contributing in terms of money or effort. I'm very grateful for all the people who've put up their creations to download for free. And I don't hate on those who want money for what they've done, they are completely justified.

If the money were going to the people who put all of the work into this world, I'd open my wallet but that's just not the case. I think this is why I'm planning to go with CC and 3rd party sites where the artist is compensated instead of the company that bought the rights to the game. OFC we'll still buy the EPs (they took on the cost of development, I can throw $30-$40 at them for that) but the store is too expensive.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited August 2012
    For me, some store items I'd buy right away, and for others, I'd wait for a sale or save my pennies until I feel is a good time to buy. Such as, I want the Tiki Outdoor set, but I don't feel like paying 1600 points on it, although I have the points to get it. But I DID buy ST Gold because of many reasons and I'm satisfied with the purchase and enjoying the world. Was it pricey? Sure it was. Now, I have not bought KPST and Deisel yet because I have not out worn all the clothes in my game yet. So it's easier for me to wait until my birthday in Nov. and get them along with Seasons.

I do this with groceries, shoes, clothes and anything else in real life. Some people gotta have that $5 coffee every morning. I don't. Not until October when they have pumpkin spice coffee. Then I'll splurge every now and again for one. Some folks want $100 shoes. Not me. Perhaps $30-$40 for me. lol Some people love name brand clothes. I'm good with Target's clothes. Some people smoke a pack a day, buy $5 lunch, buy bottled water instead of using a filtered, and etc.

I remember reading in a magazine where Madonna wore a pair of $2000 jeans. I was like, who would buy a pair of $2000 jeans! Well duh, a person who could afford to and would enjoy and value them. :P

I love and enjoy sims ever since sims 1. It's a great pasttime along with collecting fashion dolls. That can be expensive too. I could buy a $6 bathing suit barbie and dress her in all the different outfits I've collected over the years, but then they make a barbie doll made of the same plastic for $200, put a stamp on the box, andd call it a collectors edition. lol But it's my hobby, and I buy according to what I like and know I'll value and enjoy over time. I think someone mentioned in one of the posts, I think it was MrHawk, something to do with paying for quality. I'd do that. :wink:
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    mitsuhoneymitsuhoney Posts: 1,000 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Agreed. Sunlit Tides is way too expensive. Be as it may that it is both captivating and beautiful, I am paying well over the cost that I will normally pay for an EP which would come with way more replay value than what this world offers.

What bugs me most is how defensive some people are over this. I understand that it does take a considerable amount of time and effort on their parts to create worlds such as this, but to charge more over an EP is asking for a bit too much. Mind you had it been the same cost as per say a SP then I will find that much more reasonable. I just feel like you pay more for the look of the world rather than the actual gameplay. Yes I will love my world to look wonderfully beautiful as this one is, but to pay such an amount of it to me is just somewhat greedy to me.

I am sorry but I want to pay for a world which would allow me to add all the lots necessary to make my world complete, I do not like the idea that this world was simply made just for "vacationing." Mind you I was born and raised in Hawaii (the place where this world most likely was based on) and Hawaii isnt simply "just" for vacationing and relaxation. The fact that theres very little option to put additional lots (such as LN or ST lots) makes me not want to buy this world. EA is just hungry for more and more money, as if they dont have other problems that need to be fixed.
  • Options
    KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited August 2012
    darrqqrrad wrote:
    I shouldn't say this .. but .. I just can't stop myself.
    To the OP and the people that are saying the store worlds are way to expensive and you would never pay that for a world .... then why in the heck do you guys have it in most of your wish lists??????
    Is it for the generous people out there???
    This thread sickens me ... REALLY ... that is just wrong !!!!

Woahhhh hold on there for a sec. You know what they say about assuming right? I wouldn't DARE put something on my wish list because I want/expect someone to gift it for me. Never. I would never take advantage of people like that. I put it on my wish list because I want it and I am reminding myself that I want it. Simple. If you didn't notice, on my Wish List, it displays the current price with an included sale, 3700 Sim Points. As I said in my first thread, I plan on waiting until the price goes wayyy down, to something reasonable. When that does happen, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to just view the price from my page instead of having to go searching for it. That's it.
  • Options
    darrqqrraddarrqqrrad Posts: 446 Member
    edited August 2012
    Wow .. after reading all the comments of how way over priced the store worlds are almost anyone could assume that you would not buy it. <--- to KitKat

Meganne79 not all said they would get it later and one person has both the reg. and the gold on their WL. I purchased 5 Gold worlds ... one for myself and 4 to some real nice people. I was looking for more people to gift when I found this thread. I was able to gift things to people for I too have a great income.
  • Options
    KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited August 2012
    @darrqqrrad
    I wanted this world really badly until I saw this. I'm not taking part in feeding EA's greed, not this time. I'm gonna wait until the Gold Version goes down to around 25 or so bucks, like it should have been from the start.

No I assure I want this world. I've said that from the beginning. I won't deny it for a second. But I absolutely refuse to buy at present when EA is asking so much for it. That's just unacceptable to me. And the more people buy it, the more EA thinks its okay to price their items so high.

I truly think its very lovely of you to be so generous, but at the same time it makes me a little sad. Because, as I just said, the more people who buy it, the more EA thinks its okay to price their items so high.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I like how we are basing the world price at the price of the Gold Edition not the Standard Edition..

Seems like Serenity Retreat's addition decides the price of the world. :roll: :roll:
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited August 2012
    Woahhhh hold on there for a sec. You know what they say about assuming right? I wouldn't DARE put something on my wish list because I want/expect someone to gift it for me. Never. I would never take advantage of people like that. I put it on my wish list because I want it and I am reminding myself that I want it. Simple. If you didn't notice, on my Wish List, it displays the current price with an included sale, 3700 Sim Points. As I said in my first thread, I plan on waiting until the price goes wayyy down, to something reasonable. When that does happen, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to just view the price from my page instead of having to go searching for it. That's it.

^ ^ This. We had wish lists before there was even a gifting option at the Store.

If I think a set is too expensive to buy now, I will put it on my wish list so that I know it's an item to watch for during sales. If nothing else, having it sit there is a good reminder of things I'm 'saving up for' when I'm tempted to buy new stuff.
    I always put new items on my wish list for a day or two and look at them before I decide whether to buy them now, or spend that month's points on something else on my list that I've wanted for a long time.

• Options
    SimsprocfunSimsprocfun Posts: 1,499 Member
    edited August 2012
    I believe store team has an own price calculation method for the store objects.

Sunlit Tides Set might justify its price because: it has a world (new landscape), unique buildings in a world (venues and homelots), several new functional and non functional objects.

If I would compare it with the town life stuff pack, then Sunlit Tides Set contains way more than this pack. TL pack has very view venues (as I remember 4 venues only) we have got in a library, 3 new rabbit holes and some very few objects which already exist in the store and in the Ambitions / Generations expansion packs. There are no new world and no new functional objects.

Sunlit Tides Set has a new world with unique flora, all the new venues created for this world (way more than 4 venues only, I believe over 50 new venues), several new functional objects (which are not in any expansion or stuff pack) and new rabbit holes for each of the base game all together 9 new rabbit holes.

In my opinion it's very difficult to say if that world is overpriced or not. It definitely could cost more than any stuff pack. Of course the price itself looks to high but maybe justified...

• Options
    mattsofatsomattsofatso Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    yes i denitly agree, Sunlit Tides will be fun to play with seasons, but for the case of $43! I don't think so! :!: Who agrees with us :?: hu? speak up!
  • Options
    heidi11576heidi11576 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited August 2012
    some of you are beyond rude and for no reason..learn some manners

almost all of us who said it seemed too expensive also said we wanted it but were not sure we wanted to spend that kind of money on anything but an EP.

As for wishlists..I dont get gifted..ever.. so my wishlist is not there for any of you to buy me stuff..its there to remind me of things I want but havent bought yet..what a nasty bunch you are
  • Options
    KalaniaKalania Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2012
    Anavastia wrote:
    Or many people can start to look at it this way. Our expansions cost around 30 to 40 dollars at time, with the stuff packs costing about 20.00 dollars. Where as many games on the market have already moved up to 60.00 or higher. That also includes their expansions are usually at that price. Not that im defending this price hike with the worlds. However you do need to consider that with expansions and stuff pack pricing stays low where do you think EA will make up the costs.

That is the idea of cash shop games and the Sims 3 is no exception. They can charge low prices to free for the base game and expansions and make a killer profit from the store. Keep that in mind as the game moves to sims 4 and you are not wanting to pay 60.00 dollars an expansion or 30.00 for a stuff pack.

Since when have we gotten to the point where $40 was spare change? Thats nuts. While I preordered seasons, I spent less then $20 on all the other expansions (except Showtime, I didn't want that one). With lots of waiting, many of the expansions can be had cheaply. I still consider $40 to be a lot of money....I have a family to raise and homeschool.

Need I remind you, Many cash shop games are Free to Play. Also, in the Vanguard Saga of Heroes, not a single item is over $10. Why? Because Sony gets that people buy more items that are cheap.

I'll wait for the reviews and the price goes down or the massage table is available separately....I don't need that venue, nor do I want to pay a premium for it. If the reviews continue to be poor (lag, sauna not getting fixed), it'll be off my wishlist, and I won't buy it.
    Please excuse Inactivity. Writing in Naniwrimo this year.
  • Options
    simgrl74simgrl74 Posts: 43 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Wow, and I thought they were pushing the boundaries on pricing by charging $20 per world. :shock:

I personally would never pay as much for a single world as I do for an entire expansion, I think that is preposterous. However, to each there own and if other people have that kind of money to throw around then good for them. I have bills, a mortgage and a kid to pay for so I have to be selective with my money, and, to me, a $40 fake world for fake people to inhabit takes a far, far back seat.

I will do what I always do and wait for it to go on a good deal or go without. Hidden Springs is the only world I have purchased and only because I got it for $10; if I can't get the other worlds for that price, then so be it.

EA is getting enough of my money with the two new expansion packs, both of which I have been hotly anticipating, they will get along fine without me buying yet more stuff.
  • Options
    SlyvanasSlyvanas Posts: 855 Member
    edited August 2012
    simgrl74 wrote:
    Wow, and I thought they were pushing the boundaries on pricing by charging $20 per world. :shock:

I personally would never pay as much for a single world as I do for an entire expansion, I think that is preposterous. However, to each there own and if other people have that kind of money to throw around then good for them. I have bills, a mortgage and a kid to pay for so I have to be selective with my money, and, to me, a $40 fake world for fake people to inhabit takes a far, far back seat.

I will do what I always do and wait for it to go on a good deal or go without. Hidden Springs is the only world I have purchased and only because I got it for $10; if I can't get the other worlds for that price, then so be it.

EA is getting enough of my money with the two new expansion packs, both of which I have been hotly anticipating, they will get along fine without me buying yet more stuff.

I couldnt agree more!
    oxv0Rm8.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Kalania wrote:

Need I remind you, Many cash shop games are Free to Play. Also, in the Vanguard Saga of Heroes, not a single item is over $10. Why? Because Sony gets that people buy more items that are cheap.

And not a single item from the Sims 3 Store is more than $10 either. :wink:
  • Options
    JEREMYSIMS01JEREMYSIMS01 Posts: 727 Member
    edited August 2012
    I bought Sunlit Tides on the day it was released, and I have no regrets. I bought the 5,000 SimPoint bundle for $32 when EA recently had a SimPoint sale, so my actual cost for the Gold Edition was $23.68.

The good news for everyone is that the Store Team keeps raising the bar on the quality of the store items. In my opinion, Sunlit Tides is the best Sims 3 world to date - we've come a long way since Barnacle Bay.

I understand that everyone may not be able to afford ST at the current price, and I think EA understands that too. I have no doubt that they will have sales on this item in the future, as well as sales on SimPoints. In the end, nearly everyone will have an opportunity to buy this item at a price that they are comfortable with.

Thanks for the great world, EA. If this is any indication of things to come, I will be coming back for more.
    Sims4SIG_zps6253f8f2.jpg
  • Options
    misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,290 Member
    edited August 2012
    TtnFn04 wrote:
    I've seen the screenshots for Sunlit Tides, watched the Producer Broadcast,read the blogs, etc. And I'll admit, it is one beautiful world. Easily the best world they've made so far. But I just took a look at the store page for buying it, and I saw the the Gold Edition(without the current sale) is 4,350 Sim Points! 4,350! Are you freaking KIDDING me? With the conversion of $10 US Dollars getting you 1000 Sim Points, that means this game costs $43.50! THAT'S INSANE! that's more than an actual EXPANSION pack which is $39.99! I'm just floored. I can't believe EA would be THIS greedy. Actually yes I can based on how they price everything else. But this is just flat out ridiculous.

What's even more astounding is the difference in price between the Gold Edition and the standard. The Standard Edition is 2,450 Sim Points. So that's basically $24.50. That's a lot of money for a world, but its slightly more reasonable. But really, the Gold Edition only adds a venue with an outdoor shower, a fish tank, some pretty curtains, and a massage table. So that's like 4 new items. For 4 items you are paying an additional $19! That's ALMOST the price of what the Standard Version costs on its own!

I wanted this world really badly until I saw this. I'm not taking part in feeding EA's greed, not this time. I'm gonna wait until the Gold Version goes down to around 25 or so bucks, like it should have been from the start.

Wait till it's on sale. Hell another simmer just posted a thread about Hidden Springs being on Origin for only $8!!!

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/578752.page <<Credit to Piddlesim. I'm sure at some point they'll do the same with ST. :D

I agree.
    new.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I think some players need to visit a some virtual world and see how much they charge their players for buying a world that have nothing in it and the players have to created the world by purchasing items to add to the world.

new.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Meganne79 wrote:
    misty4m wrote:
    Nope, here is what I'm saying from the past there have been a few scam sims fan sites that took a lot of players money just for CC they created or mods, players wanted EA to fix the issue but how can they fix the issue when the item was made by third party.

Now that EA created this store so that players can have a safe place to download items some players are upset the prices on some items are high but you can wait until the items is on sale and then purchase it.

Now when it come to CC creators I have a small number of players I download their CC's because they started creating safe CC's back when the sims 1 game was released and they still make CC now and they don't charge a fee for these CC's.

Now for me spending money on this world I have my own business so I have a little extra money to buy a few things and still stay in budget, I don't buy everything on EA website but if I really want something I will purchased it without thinking twice.
    I doubt that the reason why EA created this store was to give a safe place to download items. I suspect that there was just a business case: EA identified a source of revenue.
    If that means that the paysites will get less or no revenue, great! I still prefer to give money to EA than to paysites. Furthermore, I think that EA's approach is better for the customer: you buy the items you want instead of paying a monthly subscription to get average quality items.
    From my wallet point of view, Sunlit Tides is very expensive. I preordered SN and Seasons from Newegg during the -$10 promotion and I paid $29.99 for each. Quite more value than with ST.
    But if people accept the price established by EA and do not want to wait until there is a sale of simpoints or similar, there is no reason for EA, from a business point of view, to sell this world and the next worlds and sets for less. Actually I guess EA will keep increasing the prices until people stop buying. Seen the addiction, never.

That is one of the main reason they created the store because a few scam fansites would have their website unable to view all their creations unless you pay a fee and once you pay that fee your able to view all the rest of the custom content.

Me I never joined any of those websites but I seen a lot of them and refuse to join before I felt it was better to visit other website that allow you download their stuff for free.

new.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    misty4m wrote:
    I think some players need to visit a some virtual world and see how much they charge their players for buying a world that have nothing in it and the players have to created the world by purchasing items to add to the world.

There's also DLC that is a one time use only, meaning you can't replicate it unless you buy it again and again. Aka, you get one item for what you pay, not the ability to use the item multiple times.

It would seriously be a huge rip off if EA just sold us an empty World with no new items or anything. Just Land for the price they give us for this World.

There's also games that are "Freemium" but overcharge their DLC like no other in order to gain revenue and to help pay for those working in the deparment in order to provide better gameplay content, etc.