Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do we Europeans have the short end of the straw.. stick.. thingy?

I love The Sims 3. But why is it way more expensive over here? The game in Euro's is just as much as the game is in Dollars, except that the value of the Dollar is lower so we Europeans end up paying more for it in the end.

1 euro is 1.27 Dollar. So if we made 40 euro of that, it would mean that we pay 50,80 dollar for it. Why is that?

Comments

• Options
    nikkitinanikkitina Posts: 1,359 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Don't worry, New Zealand has it worse. I converted the money, an expansion her averages $69.98 NZD, that in USD is $55.77.
  • Options
    DarkGamer7DarkGamer7 Posts: 308 Member
    edited June 2012
    That's terrible! They should really be aware of those price differences..
  • Options
    nikkitinanikkitina Posts: 1,359 New Member
    edited June 2012
    DarkGamer7 wrote:
    That's terrible! They should really be aware of those price differences..

Yea, I've just started to expect it, practically all games are expensive here.
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited June 2012
    Move to America and you can have the benefit of a weaker currency ... :shock:. Plus, I am not sure, but it probably safe to say that you are paying for the transportation and distribution of the product.

Cottage cheese costs more in Israel than in Wisconsin too, but that has nothing to do with the currency rate.
    I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    NeighboursGalNeighboursGal Posts: 163 Member
    edited June 2012
    Yes, Australia's game prices are quite high too.

I gather it might have something to do with distribution, but I thought the games were published by a reigon's EA sector? All my games seem to have 'EA Australia' on them...

It could have something else to do with GST here too, and inflation.
  • Options
    Zachemc2Zachemc2 Posts: 1,817 New Member
    edited June 2012
    It's because of two factors:
    1. The US Dollar is the world's reserve currency
    2. Y'all have a value added tax
  • Options
    pinkstar2000pinkstar2000 Posts: 1,116 New Member
    edited June 2012
    I buy from Amazon to avoid getting taxed

don't tell the coppers!!11
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited June 2012
    BlackSand wrote:
    Move to America and you can have the benefit of a weaker currency ... :shock:.

Funny :lol: But not all of us Europeans want to live in USA, perhaps we're happy where we are. But the price for new PC games is the reason why I wait until the price lowers or I get a special offer. I love Sims but one can pay too much for a hobby. :wink:
  • Options
    ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
    edited June 2012
    Keep in mind that tax rates are different in europe. I'm in poland and the tax is 24%
  • Options
    kiara07kiara07 Posts: 575 Member
    edited June 2012
    Even in Europe there are big differences because we are not one big country. I'm portuguese and here Showtime is 39.90€ and Master Suite 19.90€. Why a much poorer country has more expensive games than the Netherlands? I was in the Netherlands recently and bought both these games over there for 29€ and 13€ respectively.
    And now I'm thinking of buying the games abroad in the future.
  • Options
    AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited June 2012
    ltd2mp87 wrote:
    Keep in mind that tax rates are different in europe. I'm in poland and the tax is 24%
    24%?! Is that a typo? That's a lot D: I had no idea...

And people here whine about the US state tax rates...where I am it's 6%. It was 5% when I was growing up and there was a big fuss when they raised it.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I guess here in The Netherlands we tend to have more sales gamewise.. It's odd, as we are a rather expensive country anyway. Then again, I bought Late Night on Origin.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Alisox wrote:
    ltd2mp87 wrote:

And people here whine about the US state tax rates...where I am it's 6%. It was 5% when I was growing up and there was a big fuss when they raised it.

I might be wrong but I think it is 19% here.
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited June 2012
    DarkGamer7 wrote:
    Alisox wrote:
    ltd2mp87 wrote:

I might be wrong but I think it is 19% here.

In Denmark it's about 45 - 50 %, so don't you ever whine! :lol:
  • Options
    MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited June 2012
    ltd2mp87 wrote:

:shock:

and to think that I thought 7% is too much

I figure the higher price is due to shipping and import tax or something along those lines.

• Options
    WaffenThinMintWaffenThinMint Posts: 312 New Member
    edited June 2012
    The costs aren't to do with shipping, the back of Sims 3 boxes in GB clearly state "Manufactured In EU" (European Union). My guess is they sell it for whatever profit margin they can get away with in each territory.
  • Options
    turistas9turistas9 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited June 2012
    i would look into buying a copy online on a usa site, saves you a lot of money.. but might have to download the game (which for some people, its a problem)
  • Options
    SquishableSquishable Posts: 28
    edited June 2012
    where i live in USA is 6% , however i believe EA had it retrospect compare to your currency and ours and did a more math it seem ?. Yes , u will pay less compare to other countries if the game was made here and u buy it with your money * the bang per buck type of thing * less money but you can afford more "nice" items from afar. yet , i think to avoid the shipping and the converting of euro's to dollars. They rather "distribute in europe, BUT their prices make it so that even your products are a bit expensive in your eye but really its the same ( ratio speaking with conversion of the dollar to euro and vice versa). It would be best to buy from other countries as this stimulate growth around the world with increase in trade.
    Yet in reality , the game cost just as much "of an impact" to us , to you

see here
    http://store.enmasse.com/store/tera/DisplayHomePage?resid=Tz-lQQoBAlUAAG2Q@4MAAABC&rests=1340203795226

https://shop.tera-europe.com/splash

the thing is this company decide not to change the prices so much but that's because it was design one type of game to one distributive company while the other one to a differences distributor.

they dont expect people to buy games from US as it's not their regions * but these are digital* so much less of an impact, while EA is the company who made it and distribute's it, well that's the price they would stick to o.o
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    DarkGamer7 wrote:
    I guess here in The Netherlands we tend to have more sales gamewise.. It's odd, as we are a rather expensive country anyway. Then again, I bought Late Night on Origin.

What a coincidence you are dutch :D I have lived in Haarlem for 3 months for an internship, I loved evertything about the Netherlands except the weather :lol: Too bad I wasn't there for the Queen's Day!

Anyway I bougth the games on Intertoys but on V and D was much more expensive and I was like :shock: because in Portugal the prices are the same. Good thing I had an Intretoys store next to my house :P

Tot ziens

• Options
    edited June 2012
    kiara07 wrote:
    DarkGamer7 wrote:

What a coincidence you are dutch :D I have lived in Haarlem for 3 months for an internship, I loved evertything about the Netherlands except the weather :lol: Too bad I wasn't there for the Queen's Day!

Anyway I bougth the games on Intertoys but on V and D was much more expensive and I was like :shock: because in portugal the prices are the same. Good thing I had and Intretoys next to my house :P

Tot ziens

Haha, awesome! Great to hear you had a great time here. I would love to visit Portugal myself someday. V&D is pretty expansive yeah.. I guess one valuable tip here is to always compare prices. Toy stores are usually cheaper. Oh, the way we Dutch roll regarding money.. Haha.
  • Options
    Jdavij20033Jdavij20033 Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited June 2012
    BlackSand wrote:
    Plus, I am not sure, but it probably safe to say that you are paying for the transportation and distribution of the product.

Cottage cheese costs more in Israel than in Wisconsin too, but that has nothing to do with the currency rate.

I wonder if the price would be different if purchased on Amazon, then.
    rifJadC.png
  • Options
    labrams1228labrams1228 Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2012
    Alisox wrote:
    ltd2mp87 wrote:

Now see...it depends in which state as to tax rates. Here where I live, it depends on what you have (property taxes) and what you're buying. Sales tax is 6 percent, but we have a tax on how many trees we have on our property. So, technically, it's to the point they are taxing the air we breathe.

As for the price differences found in other countries... You know, that's just wrong. I agree that it's unfair you are charged more.
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited June 2012
    Blame France, Germany, and Belgium. The Axis of Weasels.
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    zekrayatzekrayat Posts: 1,855 Member
    edited June 2012
    The costs aren't to do with shipping, the back of Sims 3 boxes in GB clearly state "Manufactured In EU" (European Union). My guess is they sell it for whatever profit margin they can get away with in each territory.

Yup - I've had this discussion before in another thread where people seemed to think all the discs were imported from the USA. People sometimes assume that because their discs are manufactured in a certain country, everyone's are. Not true!

I don't know about other European countries, but here in the UK, our discs are manufactured in Salzburg (judging from the German written on the CDs, and the fact it's one of only two Sony DADC locations that produces discs in the EU, and the only one where German is used). So the difference in cost isn't because we're too far from the USA, haha.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    DarkGamer7 wrote:
    kiara07 wrote:
    DarkGamer7 wrote:

Anyway I bougth the games on Intertoys but on V and D was much more expensive and I was like :shock: because in portugal the prices are the same. Good thing I had and Intretoys next to my house :P

Tot ziens

Haha, awesome! Great to hear you had a great time here. I would love to visit Portugal myself someday. V&D is pretty expansive yeah.. I guess one valuable tip here is to always compare prices. Toy stores are usually cheaper. Oh, the way we Dutch roll regarding money.. Haha.

I really had a nice time there, everybody was so nice to me always trying to make me feel like home. Someone even lent me a bike so I didn't have to go on foot to work. I was realy impressed with the dutch, and the older people that could speak english so well. In Portugal older people can't speak english :lol:
    I visited Haarlem (where I was living), Amesterdam, Roterdam, Den Haag, Keukenhof and Zandvoort. My favourite was Den Haag :P

Tot ziens