Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims MMORPG

My thread was once called "Sims 4 should compete with Second Life", but I got a lot of negative responses to my initial post.

So now, I still would like the Sims Franchise to evolve into a MMORPG. I'm just not going to hold my breath over it. But I know that the rest of you would rather play offline.

So, without future ado, I present to you this question: If EA were to introduce (read: force) the Sims MMORPG onto us, what features would make you change your mind and buy the stinking, stupid game?

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,762 Member
    edited May 2012
    bad,bad idea.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    CasaNova85CasaNova85 Posts: 164 Member
    edited May 2012
    Interesting concept, but I'm not too sure how many would go for it. Frankly I used to play SL a lot, but lost my interest in it due to the constant lag and crashing. Plus if they integrate online/multi player features with what in the Sim series already or what people want to experience (think about the problems that comes with trolls that we've been experiencing on the forums, or getting overzealous vampires or lycans who want to feed or 'convert' other players even without their consent just to name a few), and people will be quick to drop TS4 like a rock.
  • Options
    Julia526Julia526 Posts: 4,194 Member
    edited May 2012
    Please read the responses in these two threads. I see that some people want a online game, but the people who don't out weigh the people who do.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/535015.page#8410508

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/534132.page
  • Options
    RockChickRockChick Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited May 2012
    Much as I like SL sometimes, I play the sims for totally different reasons. It would ruin it for me totally if the Sims 4 tried to go in that direction.
    It would need to be a totally stand alone effort like Simsonline but having been in SL for a few years...the lag/griefing and money you can spend without really meaning to means I would steer WAY clear. Sorry

Second life does it fine already (on a good day)
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,302 Member
    edited May 2012
    Sims Social and Sims Freeplay is about as close to having an online game. There are other threads about making an online game for the sims. I for one don't want to play my sims online. There would be things that you would not be able to do in an online game. For one thing your sims would not be able to age up or have a family.

If I was you, I would go and check out the other threads asking the same thing and see what others had wrote about it.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited May 2012
    Sorry, I don't agree. The one thing I like about Sims is that it's my game, under my control and it's just my world. I have all social features turned off and that's the way I like it.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2012
    Cndy20009 wrote:
    I would have downloaded Second Life if I wasn't an avid Simmer. I would really like to see my Sims go online and into the world, and SimPort doesn't even meet 1% of my online expectations for my Sims. Heck, only Sims in Showtime careers can travel via SimPort, and that's not fair!

The next generation of the Sims should answer that and allow our Sims to meet and greet each other like the avatars do in Second Life. We could use SimPoints and Simoleons the way SL users use Linden dollars.

The Sims Online was a great start, and the Sims Social was OK, but I REALLY have yet to see the awesome potential that this game has to rival Second Life!

Any questions?
    Yes.

1. Did you ever truly play TSO when it came out back in 2002? If not, can you even remember what issues fans were complaining about back then? Or did you literally have to do some googling to search for favorable reviews on it?

2. If you're so much into social online gaming, why isn't playing SL enough for you?? :?

3. What's so lacking in game features/content in SL which makes you want to mutate the Sims into a full blown (and completely dysfunctional) online social networking game?

4. Why do you think it's so necessary for TS4 to "rival" SL? Especially when a fan base for SL already exists? Don't you think that would be a waste of time (and duplicated effort) on the devs part?

Doing a project of this magnitude would cost EA millions to develop. And even more to make it remain profitable. TS4 would have to use suscriptions to remain profitable. That could turn a lot of people off--especially if the online experience doesn't deliver what people expected. Just like it did with TSO. TS4 would also end up having to steal SL fans and cannibalize the SimsSocial fan base by attracting customers from these games as well. This may not be worth the cost or development effort.

It also definitely wouldn't help EA out with the increased amount of debt it's already wallowing in. Sometimes you just need to step back and think of the big picture first.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    And then there is this
    ...and SimPort doesn't even meet 1% of my online expectations for my Sims...

My problem with your post and this in particular, is that it's extremely narrow minded and one sided. It leaves exactly zero room for compromise in what amounts to a thinly veiled, and extremely selfish demand. In posting what you did, you excluded a significantly large number of this fan base which DOESN'T CARE TO HAVE SOCIAL MEDIA IMPOSED ON IT.

Haven't you had enough of the joke fest that Simport has been since ST came out? If you think this sort of server reliability is bad now on EA's end, then multiply this problem some 8000 times to achieve the scale of what you're suggesting. Because that is what it would take to run Second Life.
    Simulator

The primary SL server process. Each simulator process simulates one 256x256 meter region. There are about 31,000 regions in total currently. Each one has to be hosted on a server running copies of the Simulator program. There is one simulator per region, 4 or more sims per server, 8000 or so servers. As the viewer moves through the world it is handled off from one simulator to another. It handles storing object state, land parcel state, and terrain height-map state. It performs visibility calculations on objects and land and transmits the data to the client. It transmits image data in a prioritized queue. Physics simulation is handled with the Havok physics library. Chat and instant messages are processed here.

Running at full tilt, a simulator will run at 45 frames/sec. If it can't keep up, it will attempt time dialation without reducing frame rate.

Simulators communicate with one another using a circuit via UDP. A "circuit" is a UDP network connection. Circuits are maintained between adjacent simulators.

And this
    Simulator vs. Viewer

It helps to understand the division of labor between the simulator and the viewer, since the split in Second Life is very different than most other virtual environments:
    Simulator's job: Runs physics engine
    Collision detection
    keeps track of where everything is
    Sends locations of stuff to viewer
    Sends updates to viewers only when needed (only when collision occurs or other changes in direction, velocity etc.)

Viewer's job: Handle locations of objects
    Gets velocities and other physics information, and does simple physics to keep track of what is moving where
    No collision detection
    http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_architecture

If you bothered to look at the Tech forum, you would notice that a significant number of simmers in this fan base either

1) lack high end gaming rigs, and/or
    2) don't know how to keep their gaming system maintained with the latest hardware & software updates.

As a result, the game continues to run crappy on their systems. That forum is littered with threads where folks are complaining about how the game screwed up their system. Or how Simport sucks or doesn't work. But their dxdiags also indicate they only have 2-3GB RAM, or software drivers that date back to 2003, or a poor graphics card an/or CPU with computational & graphical abilities inferior to my smartphone :?

If the gaming systems of fans like these have so many hardware (and legitimate software bugs/coding) issues running the base game and the SP/EPs, do you really expect such computer systems to run on a server network? Without any freezing? Lag? CTD? :?
  • Options
    tashie_baby11tashie_baby11 Posts: 2,284 New Member
    edited May 2012
    God, not this again. I am actually worried TS4 will be online, because in that case EA can count me out. It would suc k so much.
  • Options
    Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2012
    No.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited May 2012
    I am not interested in playing Sims 4 online. The Sims is popular because it is your game. You decide what is going to happen.

Do you have any idea what kind of problems it would cause?
    1. Will your computer be able to run it?
    2. How well will the game be managed?
    3. What kind of trolls are you prepared to deal with?
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited May 2012
    :thumbdown:
    Nuff said. We had that discussion countless times.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    labrams1228labrams1228 Posts: 297 Member
    edited May 2012
    A great big H E Double Hockey Sticks NO.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited May 2012
    I am not interested in playing the Sims 4 online. The sims game is about you and what you want to do within your game. It is your world. It is not designed to be like other online games.

Do you have any idea of the problems you may have?
    1. Is your computer equiped to handle it?
    2. How will the game management be dealt with?
    3. What kind of trolls are you prepared to deal with?
    These were just a few of many questions.

My vote is a resounding no!

Sorry: Double post. I thought Liam ran off with the other one.
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited May 2012
    I wouldn't mind if it had a multiplayer mode for those that want to play online, but I prefer to play games by myself.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited May 2012
    No. :thumbdown:

I never liked Second Life and only played it for a short time. IMHO Second Life is a glorified chat room (no offense to people who like it) whereas the Sims is a full on life simulation. I would rather play a life simulation game by myself than run around and chat with other people's avatars. I've said this in another post, but I'll say it again here. The sims is probably the best life simulation game out there right now. They basically have no competition in that genre. I don't think they should stop doing something that they do so well only to try to do something else where they would have tons of competition and end up losing loyal fans.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited May 2012
    Cndy20009 wrote:
    I would have downloaded Second Life if I wasn't an avid Simmer. I would really like to see my Sims go online and into the world, and SimPort doesn't even meet 1% of my online expectations for my Sims. Heck, only Sims in Showtime careers can travel via SimPort, and that's not fair!

The next generation of the Sims should answer that and allow our Sims to meet and greet each other like the avatars do in Second Life. We could use SimPoints and Simoleons the way SL users use Linden dollars.

The Sims Online was a great start, and the Sims Social was OK, but I REALLY have yet to see the awesome potential that this game has to rival Second Life!

Any questions?

I'm tempted to ask what your job title with EA is and what it pays. If the money's right, I'm sure I could push their "everything must be an MMO because we're terrified of software piracy" agenda on internet forums. Any job you can do in your PJ's sounds like a nice gig.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    @OP: here's what I think is the best reason why you should consider avoiding SL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s217TcAGDJ0

Yes it's 2012 and SL's graphic eye candy has long since evolved to being far better than this.

But First Life is far better, with superlative graphics any game could have. :wink:

The best part: your AVATAR actually gets to FEEL and experience an unlimited number of animations and real emotions too--for free! :D
  • Options
    SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    edited May 2012
    Because the sims is not second life. It's a play alone master controller game. Master controller being you, the player.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited May 2012
    Cndy20009 wrote:

Any questions?

Yes, I have a question. Why didn't you search this forum before you posted this? It would certainly have spared you a lot of grief.

As for the Sims Online, have you actually played it? I have, and as one of the founders who bought the game when it first came out, I can unashamedly say that The Sims Online sucked swampwater. The gameplay or lack of it was so bad and so boring that when it came time for me to decide whether to keep subscribing to Ultima Online and The Sims Online, I had no problem deciding to stay with UO and drop TSO like a hot potato.

So, I find it ironic that you think The Sims Online was a great start. It really wasn't. If Maxis had used Origin's template for USO and simply translated it into modern terms where Sims could actually travel from town to town, I daresay it would still be running today. I won't point out the many flaws of TSO; suffice it to say that it really did suck swampwater.

Besides, EA can't make The Sims 4 a clone of Second Life. Not, at least, without being sued by Linden Labs for copyright infringement.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    CoreyCanadianCoreyCanadian Posts: 5,701 Member
    edited May 2012
    NO NO NO NO NO!

The sims isn't the game for you if you want to go online. The sims is your own little world and its a personal, and I am VERY hostile when someone tries poking at my personal world where I make the rules and what I see as good and bad apply, where as someone else might not agree, well that is fantastic because they can apply it in the sims and we can both be happy :mrgreen:

But let's face it I'm already a little bit hostile towards people so trying to stick other people in my world and play around, you can bet I am going to be EXTREMELY hostile. Sorry to say this but if you want online, don't you dare ruin the sims with your want for online! It has always been a single player game, sims online is different. It wasn't the game itself like sims 2, I would care less if sims 4 was normal than they had an online version but if you try to mess with my game, I will be very hostile and expect me to give you hell :D
  • Options
    TtnFn04TtnFn04 Posts: 1,727 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Sorry, I don't agree. The one thing I like about Sims is that it's my game, under my control and it's just my world. I have all social features turned off and that's the way I like it.

this ^^ :!:
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2012
    I have to question why this thread was started but 2 pages in no response from the op at all. I have to wonder if EA is fishing for a response too.

I can tell you now if sims 4 even thinks of being remotely like second life consider the series done. There is no way you're going to get casual gamers locked into playing sims like that let alone hardcore.

Let alone destroying the very ideals the game was based on. No longer would you be in god mode controlling what your sims does. You would be the actual avatar never aging looped into a repetitive game that now trippled in costs. Not only that but let's not forget the financial risks that users had with second life. Or the non teen environment that game creates, that bars a lot of children from playing the game EA can just forget about the teen rating that's for sure.

Also consider this, it puts sims game in competition with a game it never had competition with to begin with. Marketing would be crazy to sink the series like this, no i don't think they should make the mistake of making sims like another game. Sims should stay to what is unique about sims.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited May 2012
    Something that I noticed, mostly this question or idea was asked or thrown up by the new comers. After that the persons (OPs) disappeared. I feel like something fishy is going on here :mrgreen:

Is this your new way EA to get the response from us :wink: ? Then let me tell you, it's a BIG FAT NO :!:
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited May 2012
    EA has already announced that all its games are going online, even the sims.

The recent announcement of Simcity 5 included the online aspect. It was traditionally a single player game. The new one will require co-op between gamers. Too bad, that was a really fun game at one time.

I won't be buying that one, and apparently neither will many of the old city builders, from what I've been seeing and hearing.

If the sims 4 is like Second Life, then I won't be buying that either. If it is more like Spore, where it's online, but acts like a single player, then I will consider it.

I am not at all interested in meeting up with other simmers in the game. I can't even login now to our game, b/c I can't play and chat at the same time. It's too distracting. When I get a request to host someone's sims, I feel like I can't say no, b/c I'm being rude. So I stop what I'm doing and accept. I suppose it's my problem if I can't say no, but that's how I feel. I wish this concept was never introduced in the game. All my friends are very nice, and they are all fun, so I don't want them to feel bad reading this. I'm just not good at multitasking.

My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8