Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA's losing money !

Deferred revenue costs force third-party publisher to report $234 million loss despite increase in sales; latest life-sim nears quadruple-platinum stats, EA Sports Active sales top 1.8 million.

The Sims 3 was EA's sugar daddy last quarter.

Following Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Capcom, THQ, and Sega Sammy, Electronic Arts has reported its earnings for the quarter ending June 30. Like many of its rivals, the company reported a loss--a $234 million loss, to be exact, on $644 million in revenue. During the same period in 2008, the company reported a $95 million shortfall on $804 million in revenue. Its loss per share was $0.72, compared with a $0.30 loss per share the year prior.

In a post-earnings conference call, EA CEO John Riccitiello blamed the ongoing recession and "the impact of deferred revenue" for the deficit. His company revealed that, outside of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), its net loss was just $6 million, versus a net non-GAAP loss of $135 million from April-June 2008. Its non-GAAP revenues were $816 million, and its non-GAAP loss per share was just $0.02, up from a $0.42 loss per share during the year prior.

EA's loss came despite the company declaring itself the top third-party publisher during the April-June quarter. The company singled out Fight Night Round 4, EA Sports Active, and The Sims 3 as its top earners, with the latter two games selling 1.8 million and 3.7 million worldwide, respectively. The NPD Group reported four of the top 10 US game SKUs in June were published by EA: EA Sports Active (Wii, 289,100 units), Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (Wii, 272,400), Fight Night Round 4 (Xbox 360, 260,800 units) and Fight Night Round 4 (PlayStation 3, 210,300 units.)

EA Sports Active now holds the distinction of being the best-selling Wii game ever published by EA, claiming a 21 percent share of the North American software market for the console. (In Europe, it claimed a 13 percent Wii market share.) The company has been aggressively going after the Wii market, going so far as to bundle Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 and the far less popular Grand Slam Tennis with the Wii MotionPlus peripheral in the US and Europe, respectively. EA also released Boom Blox Bash Party, which has sold just over 70,000 units in the US as of June 30, according to NPD.

Looking ahead, EA is sticking to its full-year guidance of $3.7 billion to $3.85 billion in net revenue and a per-share loss of $0.85 and $1.35. Non-GAAP revenue is expected to be $4.3 billion, with per-share earnings of $1.00.

heres the link if you dont believe

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6214761.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

Comments

• Options
    trickyblueeyestrickyblueeyes Posts: 137 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure what the point of this is...
  • Options
    keithie13keithie13 Posts: 2,722 New Member
    edited August 2009
    what do you think the future of EA is going to be :?:
    for me i think they might go bankruct :!: :?
  • Options
    RubytheFuzzledRubytheFuzzled Posts: 3,315 New Member
    edited August 2009
    yoo has sed lots of words.

so i is speekin liek a lolcat.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Do you know anything about how businesses work?

Sales fluctuate. In times of economic crisis like the US is in now, it's normal for their sales to decrease. They're likely to bounce back.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    well anyone what do you think :?:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yoo has sed lots of words.

so i is speekin liek a lolcat.

ya its a lot of reading
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Do you know anything about how businesses work?

Sales fluctuate. In times of economic crisis like the US is in now, it's normal for their sales to decrease. They're likely to bounce back.

but what if they dont :?:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    :?:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Then...they don't?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Then...they don't?

haha :lol: then they dont get money witch means they lose more money :!:
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2009
    Well considering they just paid cash for their entire EA campus instead of continuing to lease it tells me EA is not a hurting Unit. That money you are talking about was after all their expenses and does not count the tax breaks and loop holes they get by filing a loss instead of a profit. If you check EA's public books the last I saw they had 4.9 billion in cash assets and I forget how many millions in stock assets. You are just seeing a quarter which by the way is about 4 times better than last quarter and about a dozen times better than any body else but Activision. EA even out performed Microsoft. I shed no tears and they are anything but near any kind of bankruptcy. You need to look at ALL EA's public records and actually understand what it all means. EA is running circles around the majority of entertainment outlets and publishers which is saying bundles during this horrible economy with so many people out of jobs, or on reduced hours. I would give my right arm for their bank accounts even if it came with these quarterly losses. Did you also know that during todays quarterly meeting that the company was basically getting pats on the back for doing several times better than the stock holders had forecasted. You need to look at the real data and stop reading online gaming rags.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited August 2009
    well there still r losing money but they r losing money because people arnt using the store :!: and they want to muck for the stuff anyways :!: :?
  • Options
    aarinaarin Posts: 7,260 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Honeychild, the fact that EA OWNS most of the companies that develop triple A console titles and their plethora of IPs, they could essentially sit on their hands for the next ten years and still not go bankrupt as long as they didn't go crazy buying even more triple A game companies. And I saw the sort of stuff they are planning on releasing soon at E3. It would literally take an act of god to make them go bankrupt (and face meltingly awful management) in probably MY lifetime.

Everyone is losing money in the video game sector (and everywhere else as well). What goes up must come down, especially in this economy. Most companies will break even at the end of the year or even in the first quarter of next year due to holiday sales and gift card rubbish.

The fact of the matter is, EA is changing with the times. While they may be taking losses with things like video games, they're making it back in things like social platform gaming and cellphone apps.

This thread is just late night FUD.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i said "maybe" :!: :roll:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Basically what you are trying to do is substantiate your point of "the TS3 Store is overpriced and no one is buying things from there!" with a news story that has absolutely nothing to do with that at all. TS3 profits are probably only a drop in the bucket compared to all the rest of the things EA has on its plate at any given moment.

I don't understand how the Store can be LOSING money (muchless enough money to exaggerate the bankruptcy suggestion of yours) when it's a sort of situation where "someone spent two hours making this hair, but it will be up at the Store for the entire lifespan of TS3 which may or may not be many many years."
  • Options
    JorshaJorsha Posts: 50 New Member
    edited August 2009
    :roll:

Keithy, You say EA are losing money because people aren't using the store.
    I hardly think that the store is the profitable thing in their portfolio of things they own.
  • Options
    SnowmoonSnowmoon Posts: 3,437 Member
    edited August 2009
    Dude, seriously, if EA was about to go belly up, I'm sure there would be a few other gaming companies willing to buy them out. Don't think The Cashcow 3, err, The Sims 3 is going anywhere. Nice troll, though!

-Snowmoon
    Find my builds under Evie_Snowmoon in the Gallery!
  • Options
    tms272002tms272002 Posts: 686 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think the possibilities of EA becoming bankrupt is slim, every business in this economic time has problems. But as long as people use this time to drown their woos in games EA will be fine
    -Here have a cupcake-
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If it is any consolation to the OP, however, I will give him this much: the group in EA that worked on TS3 (EA Black Box) was dissolved earlier this year. Why they were dissolved is a subject I am unsure of, but if you are fond of conspiracies, you can "assume" it was to cut overhead.

The Redwood Shores/Studios (Visceral Games) subsidiary now handles all TS3 related things including the upcoming EP.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    aarin wrote:
    If it is any consolation to the OP, however, I will give him this much: the group in EA that worked on TS3 (EA Black Box) was dissolved earlier this year. Why they were dissolved is a subject I am unsure of, but if you are fond of conspiracies, you can "assume" it was to cut overhead.

The Redwood Shores/Studios (Visceral Games) subsidiary now handles all TS3 related things including the upcoming EP.

OMG CONSPIRACY!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    aarin wrote:

OMG CONSPIRACY!!!

is it a conspiracy lol :shock:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    aarin wrote:

OMG CONSPIRACY!!!

AMG EA IS GOIN BANKRUPTS, FREE STORE ITEMS FOR EVERYONES! LOOT AND PLUNDER!!1
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    aarin wrote:

AAHHHHHH T1M3 4 L00T1NG! L00K 4T MY L00TING SKILLZ!!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    aarin wrote:
    aarin wrote:

OMG CONSPIRACY!!!

i run for the store pushes aarin out of the way to get the good stuff lol and i i said was that they are losing money and that i though they might go bankrupt and said people to post there own comment :!: 8)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    so people i know they wont go bankrupt and if they did a bigger companie
    would buy them lol but if it did i would go to the store and buy hella stuff lol :!: