Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Guru's Please Post Why Some Players Never "hear" anything back after Sending A Sim Out on Tour.

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2012
    I have been thinking more. It would seem it would have been better to allow players to see who is online in their games Before they send their Sim. That way the game would Not book the Sim/Save/Book and the player that sent out the Sim would Know Not to send to that player at that point in time.

I am not a server programmer nor understand such things, but perhaps others in this thread understand what I am saying and would agree.

IE: Player A sends Player B a request to Host the Sim. Player B never replies although the Sim gets booked anyway. If Player A knew Player B wasn't playing or accepting Notices or whatever online, then Player A wouldn't waste their time waiting for their Sim to return from a booking that may take days of real life time to complete, Until Player B logs back in and accepts Player A's Sim.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimGuruSNelsonSimGuruSNelson Posts: 13
    edited March 2012
    Hi Simmers!
    Thanks very much for your feedback. I want to clarify what is expected when you send your Sim on tour and a Tour Request to a friend to host your Sim. @Lendyyen and @PaisleyPink have explained it pretty accurately.

When your Sim leaves to go on tour, he/she will return after 12 Sim hours. If your friend accepts the Tour Request and the show takes place before 12 Sim hours has elapsed in your game, your Sim will come back as soon as they are done performing in your friend’s world.

If your Sim returns after the 12 Sim hours, and your friend has yet to accept the Tour Request, you will see on the home page of your SimPort book that your Sim has a tour in progress, and is waiting for the request to be accepted and the show to take place, in order for you to receive the rewards.

Your friend has about 24 real hours to accept your tour request.

If a friend accepts the request within the 24 hours, and your Sim peforms successfully, you will earn the stamp and other rewards. You will receive a game notification that the show was a hit, and you will notice that your Sim no longer appears as having a tour in progress in the SimPort Book.

If a friend does not accept your tour request, you will receive a game notification about 24 real hours after you sent your Sim on tour, letting you know that the friend never made it to the show, and to try again. Your Sim will no longer appear as having a tour in progress. You will not receive the stamp or any other rewards.

If a friend does accept your tour request, but then decides to quit their game, or their game crashes, or something else unexpected happens before the show takes place, thus cancelling the show, you will receive a stamp and all of the rewards about 24 real hours after you initially sent your Sim on tour. Also, your Sim will no longer appear as having a tour in progress in the SimPort Bood. Your friend, the host, will not be rewarded.

We are still investigating issues mentioned here and in other threads where SimPort is not behaving as expected. We understand these issues are very frustrating and we appreciate your patience.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited March 2012
    Well this stinks, I don't mind having sims to my game, but I don't feel like watching their sims perform, especially if my sims are doing something else.

• Options
    panupanu Posts: 119 Member
    edited March 2012
    Hi Simmers!

If a friend does not accept your tour request, you will receive a game notification about 24 real hours after you sent your Sim on tour, letting you know that the friend never made it to the show, and to try again. Your Sim will no longer appear as having a tour in progress. You will not receive the stamp or any other rewards.

We are still investigating issues mentioned here and in other threads where SimPort is not behaving as expected. We understand these issues are very frustrating and we appreciate your patience.

Yes, this does not work correctly in my game. The sim just sits there for many of my days and nothing happens.

Edited to add: Also, the game really should automatically pause while booking a tour. Sims have died during this process, which causes the game to crash.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited March 2012
    Stormwench-I am confused, what does Origin have to do with anything? I don't load or sign into Origin ever to play. I only log into my account here.

As for the stamps, I have always recieved mine, but the time issue is what I feel bad, when I simport with some, they will send the request and it will be after 4 the day before, so their show won't happen until the next night, I never recieve hosting or sending stamps until after the show, and a lot of times Zeek or Cyron never get theirs or they get them hours after the show is over and their sim has left my game.

This glitch should have been fixed in one of the three patches they issued, because this is something ppl have been saying since the ST came out. It is almost as important as the cc issue and should have been addressed. But it is EA afterall....

Edit: Could the stamp issue be because of the overseas connections, I notice that this doesn't happen when I am simporting with someone in the states, such as I am.
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited March 2012
    @SimGuruSNelson.

That's a lot of "ifs" and variables with the SimPort system. There just seem to be way too many ways to not get the "rewards" for it. And really, since it's only fun to do it a couple of times, it's really more a grind to get the items.

It would be better in future if this time of "reward" system gets much more minimised in The Sims 3 games, the way it used to be.

I honestly feel like this is turning into one of those "click here to get this" games that are all the rage lately. It feels like it's being dictated to us how to play the games with all these additions and it's really taking the joy out of the series, for me at least. The development should remember that this is a "god" game, a simulation, and go back to basics.

Showtime? A fantastic game, and your team should be congratulated and feel very proud of themselves. SimPort? Really unnecessary.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    MrHawk wrote:
    @SimGuruSNelson.

It would be better in future if this time of "reward" system gets much more minimised in The Sims 3 games, the way it used to be.

I honestly feel like this is turning into one of those "click here to get this" games that are all the rage lately. It feels like it's being dictated to us how to play the games with all these additions and it's really taking the joy out of the series, for me at least. The development should remember that this is a "god" game, a simulation, and go back to basics.

I really agree with this a lot.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    @panu.

Thanks. I was beginning to think I'd killed the thread with it.

I miss my sandbox gameplay.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited March 2012
    @MrHawk: Great post. :thumbup:
    We had that discussion with exact these arguments way back before the release of Showtime, when Simport was announced. With "we" I mean names like Anavastia, Faith, Jarsie, EvilOne, Pepperbutt, Cinebar, KatNap, knuckleduster, Yumedust, myself and many more (please don't feel hurt if I forgot a name, I'm pretty forgetful with names). It was a time where this community divided into the "Yay-sayers" and the "Nay-sayers" (us). We have been attacked and even insulted because of all our "negativity" (which was in fact just concerns an reasonable oppinions). Now the time has come where reality shows we were right all the time.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2012
    Hi Simmers!
    Thanks very much for your feedback. I want to clarify what is expected when you send your Sim on tour and a Tour Request to a friend to host your Sim. @Lendyyen and @PaisleyPink have explained it pretty accurately.

When your Sim leaves to go on tour, he/she will return after 12 Sim hours. If your friend accepts the Tour Request and the show takes place before 12 Sim hours has elapsed in your game, your Sim will come back as soon as they are done performing in your friend’s world.

If your Sim returns after the 12 Sim hours, and your friend has yet to accept the Tour Request, you will see on the home page of your SimPort book that your Sim has a tour in progress, and is waiting for the request to be accepted and the show to take place, in order for you to receive the rewards.

If a friend accepts the request within the 24 hours, and your Sim peforms successfully, you will earn the stamp and other rewards. You will receive a game notification that the show was a hit, and you will notice that your Sim no longer appears as having a tour in progress in the SimPort Book.

If a friend does accept your tour request, but then decides to quit their game, or their game crashes, or something else unexpected happens before the show takes place, thus cancelling the show, you will receive a stamp and all of the rewards about 24 real hours after you initially sent your Sim on tour. Also, your Sim will no longer appear as having a tour in progress in the SimPort Bood. Your friend, the host, will not be rewarded.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to explain this again to all of us.

One problem is the fact there is a Real Life 24 hrs wait to 'hear' if the other player's Sim went to our Simported Sim's Show.

This is an eternity for those of us that actually play the game. This would have been so much better if there was not this long of a delay.

In the game if one will consider logic, If I send my Sim on a Fri. real Life, I will have to keep that Sim on hold in the booking tour book and miss many opportunities to Simport right away with those that are actually playing the game at that time; inorder to wait on someone that isn't even playing (which I don't know that at the time) and wait a real 24 hours. :cry:

Do you realize (if you play for real) how long that is in a Sim's life? Or how many days, and hours a player has to log in game play inorder for 24 hours to pass? Yes, the person that Simported to another player can save and quit...But only to come back to find out they other Player didn't host their game?

Waste of precious time. I hope this gets changed to allowing players to 'see' who is online in the game...not the website...so we can make a logical determination of where to send our Sims.

Thankyou.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited March 2012
    I don't know about you all, but while I accept that SNelson took the time to answer, all she really did was ****** the instructions from before the release of ST, a simple cut and paste job. She really did not address the issues that have been listed here. Just a company standard response. :roll:

Edit: ***=r e h a s h (seriously EA your profanity blocker is ridiculous)
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • Options
    SimsAddiction968SimsAddiction968 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited March 2012
    MrHawk wrote:
    @SimGuruSNelson.

The development should remember that this is a "god" game, a simulation, and go back to basics.

Showtime? A fantastic game, and your team should be congratulated and feel very proud of themselves. SimPort? Really unnecessary.

Ditto, but I feel they could of put more careers into it. Stage rewards after doing so many shows at a certain level instead of SimPort.
    HI! My name is SimsAddiction968
    I discovered Sims 1 summer 2001 when my youngest was 1 yr old.
    I bought all Eps & Sps for Sims 2 as they were released.
    I even bought Sims games for our consoles and handhelds.
    I have bought all Sims 3 Eps & Sps as the were released.
    I have held my grandson while playing. He is now 5 and plays FreePlay.
    I have pre ordered Sims 4. I have the Sims 2 mouse and waiting on Sims 4 mouse.
    I have a Freezer Bunny tattoo and a bracelet tattoo of the Sims 2 aspirations.

YES! I am addicted to The Sims no matter the form.
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2012
    Hi Simmers!

This now explains why I've been only successful some 3/20 times I Simported my sim. But it still doesn't explain why Simported sims fail to show up at the performance venue. Or why the hosted sim that was booked at my town venue, failed to show up in the town. Worse yet, my active sims (and other townie sims) are waiting on the performance to begin at the designated lot venue and the sim doesn't show. I receive zero credit aka no achievement tour stamp for hosting the tour--yet my wall indicates the touring sim received credit for their "amazing", no show performance?? :roll:

Here's some end user feedback: I would hate to think these unresolved performance issues are the reason why the devs opted NOT to directly address simmers concerns on Simport back in those 2 ST demos. I would really hate to think this is the case, because the word "disingenuous" comes to mind.

I think this is a ridiculous number of variables the system has to juggle just to get ONE successful Simport event between TWO gaming rigs---let alone coordinating the hundreds of simmers utilizing the system. Having to wait 24 HOURS REAL TIME, JUST TO GET A NOTIFICATION YOUR TOUR REQUEST WAS A COMPLETE FAILURE, is a complete waste of gaming time. You see, having to wait A REAL GAME DAY---while Simport blocks me from other tour opportunities because my sim's career advancement is still being decided by unreliable "friends"---is a deal breaker for me.

My gaming satisfaction is now at the mercy of whether

1) anyone with a real pulse exists on the other end

2) they happen to be online AND playing the game during that time

3) they feel like accepting my friend request within a real game day---especially since I'm not likely to be in the top 20 of the 300+ friends on their friend list :roll:

So far, this FB flavoring of the game mechanics have introduced an undesirable amount of grind aka "Sims Socialesque" game play into what's supposed to be a standalone game. :? Which is a real game satisfaction killing experience for those of us who were skeptical or didn't care for the social features to begin with.

I guess what I'm really saying, is that I'm NOT getting the value of the gaming experience as advertised, and that I forked over $40 for. But I suppose I should be thankful I've had ANY successful sim tours at all. Actually, based on the degree of unsuccessful Simport attempt posts I've increasingly seen in the forums, it now appears I've been extremely lucky...

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Lendyyen wrote:
    If you are hosting a show, you don't need to attend the show. If the sim you are hosting doesn't show up (whether or not you get the stamp), it is a sign of a different problem. I have showtime on 2 computers and just spent the better half of the day trying to get host stamps on one of them. I tried fresh neighborhoods, deleting caches, etc. What I finally did to be able to view the show that I was hosting was remove the "downloadedsims.index" from the "Savedsims" folder. Apparently, that file was corrupted and out of about 6 tours, I only got 1 host stamp until I removed it. In all cases except one, the sim never showed up no matter whether I went to the venue or not. In the one case that he showed up, I found him at the salon just standing around til he left. After removing the file, the game created another file when I tried hosting again. This time, the sim showed up and I was given the option to set up the stage.

The camera automatically shifts to the stage when you make your choice for venue or custom. There is no need for your sim to be there. I have hosted 45+ shows on my laptop (I have all of the touring stamps on the PC). Most were successful (I am missing only 14 host stamps which means 30+ successful hostings on the laptop). Some I sent sims to watch, but most I did not. You can send your camera there whether your sims are attending or not. That is what I usually did so that my sims could take care of other business.
    This is EXACTLY why I've had to resort using a mod to compensate for a poorly coded social feature I didn't really care for. :roll: The discrepanices between the marketing for ST and the actual Simport performance, is the perfect example of an EPIC FAIL between EA's marketing and engineering teams. Why the hell should you be forced to BUY TWO COPIES OF ST JUST SO THAT YOU CAN GUARANTEE THE SIMPORT FEATURE WORKS AS ADVERTISED??? free-confused-smileys-110.gif

Since installing the ST mod, I no longer have to depend on "friends" to unlock the gaming content that I already paid for in my overpriced game. :roll:

I haven't had to log into Simport either, because I now have all the tour content. So I no longer get a headache flipping between the game window and Simport menu trying to see what touring opportunities exist for my sims. Or being forced to cancel the tours because my sims are stuck in Simport limbo. And oh yes, my game no longer lags, intermittently freezes, or spams me with stupid pop ups about what people are doing in their games. :roll:
  • Options
    SimGuruSNelsonSimGuruSNelson Posts: 13
    edited March 2012
    @Cinebar, thank you for your feedback.

The reason we allow the tour request to be active for 24 hours is to give your friends enough time to accept it, in case they aren't online at the same time you are.

You only need to wait the full 24 hours to see how the tour went if no one accepts your request or if something goes wrong on the host’s end. Otherwise, you’ll receive the report and rewards as soon as the show is complete in the host’s game.

If you find that you have a tour in progress that has been accepted by a friend who is not completing the show quickly enough, you can easily cancel that tour in progress by clicking on your Sims icon in the SimPort book. If you have another friend who you know is online and ready to accept and complete the tour right away, then you can send your Sim on tour again directly to that friend.

We agree that having an indication of which friends are online when creating the initial tour request would be really helpful. Hopefully we can add that functionality in the future.

Also, I forgot to clarify that the host’s Sims do not need to watch the show in order for both players to get the rewards. As @Lendyyen mentioned, since the camera takes your friend to the show to set up the stage, there is an assumption (and hope) that your friend will watch the show. But if they choose not to, that will not prevent either player from receiving the stamps and other rewards.

Thanks again, everyone, for your feedback. We are reading all of your posts and fervently investigating fixes and improvements.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If you find that you have a tour in progress that has been accepted by a friend who is not completing the show quickly enough, you can easily cancel that tour in progress by clicking on your Sims icon in the SimPort book. If you have another friend who you know is online and ready to accept and complete the tour right away, then you can send your Sim on tour again directly to that friend.

There is nothing easy about this in my game. The tour in progress simply does not go away. Clicking has no effect. I know how to clear it, but it is a pain and obviously not the way it was intended.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited March 2012
    Cyron43 wrote:
    We had that discussion with exact these arguments way back before the release of Showtime, when Simport was announced. With "we" I mean names like Anavastia, Faith, Jarsie, EvilOne, Pepperbutt, Cinebar, KatNap, knuckleduster, Yumedust, myself and many more (please don't feel hurt if I forgot a name, I'm pretty forgetful with names). It was a time where this community divided into the "Yay-sayers" and the "Nay-sayers" (us). We have been attacked and even insulted because of all our "negativity" (which was in fact just concerns an reasonable oppinions). Now the time has come where reality shows we were right all the time.

Cyron, I hope you remember just *who* those people were that were so condescending and arrogant towards us and accused of of being ignorant and trolling. Without mentioning any names, I can only observe that those very same people who were "downing" us are unusally silent now that we have proven that our concerns were spot on; I especially feel vindicated because people were also slamming me for pointing out the similarities between Simport and the Facebook games that I am familiar with, and because I was fully aware of the social interactions that would be required to make this work, and in fact, predicted that it would quickly become a grind. It gives me no small amount of satisfaction (petty though it makes me seem) to know that I was right all along, and events have unfolded almost exactly the way I predicted that they would.

Maybe the next time people have reservations over some "new feature" that EA wants to introduce, players will be quicker to listen and not dismiss the concerns out of hand. It would be nice if that were to be the case, but knowing my fellow Simmers as I do, I doubt very much that it will ever happen that way.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited March 2012
    @SimGuruNelson: My sim has been waiting for their tour stop to complete for three real life days now. I have not received any rewards, and it still says I have a tour in progress. Is this normal?
  • Options
    TINA180TINA180 Posts: 683 Member
    edited March 2012
    Maybe a Simple "Simport for Dummies" 101 Is needed here...
    :x
  • Options
    druciliadrucilia Posts: 11
    edited March 2012
    i have a tour that has been waiting for 3 days. i love the idea of earning free stuff since i don't buy points, but this is silly. IT DOES NOT WORK. if the gurus are convinced it does friend me and lets try it. i will get around to accepting it when i have time.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    @Cinebar, thank you for your feedback.

The reason we allow the tour request to be active for 24 hours is to give your friends enough time to accept it, in case they aren't online at the same time you are.

You only need to wait the full 24 hours to see how the tour went if no one accepts your request or if something goes wrong on the host’s end. Otherwise, you’ll receive the report and rewards as soon as the show is complete in the host’s game.

****snip*****

...We agree that having an indication of which friends are online when creating the initial tour request would be really helpful. Hopefully we can add that functionality in the future.
    What I'd like to know is why is an "indicator" being considered here? There are enough annoying popup indicators while playing in game! :x

Why can't the team edit Simport in the next patch update and have it automatically check to see if the other person is currently online AND playing their game???

This would greatly help a simport connection between say a simmer located on the Pacific Coast (in PST time) and a simmer geographically located some 16-17 hrs ahead GMT (aka Austraila & NZ). My sim wouldn't be stuck in limbo waiting for one of these folks to wake up, or get off work/school etc.

If this boolean condition is false, then Simport should imediately cancel the ability for the sender to put their sim on tour. That would free up my sim to take advantages of other tour opportunities posted by other simmers in Simport.

editing to add:
    drucilia wrote:
    i have a tour that has been waiting for 3 days. i love the idea of earning free stuff since i don't buy points, but this is silly. IT DOES NOT WORK. if the gurus are convinced it does friend me and lets try it. i will get around to accepting it when i have time.
    You've already paid for this "free" stuff in the $40+ USD price tag. :? Why do you suppose it was so easy for modders to unlock the hidden tour content to begin with? It was already present in your game! So there is really nothing to "earn" in this EP--other than being enticed into using a social feature which rewards you with game content you already paid for. :? I still fail to understand the logic in this.

You would be "earning free stuff" if the content you unlocked were some random, non-premium store item. Same goes for the case where we could make discounted simpoints off of the Simport achievements and badges we acquired in the game. After accumulating enough points through your badges & achievements, you would have the ability to use the points to buy stuff in the store. However, this has not been the case.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited March 2012
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Cyron, I hope you remember just *who* those people were that were so condescending and arrogant towards us and accused of of being ignorant and trolling. Without mentioning any names, I can only observe that those very same people who were "downing" us are unusally silent now that we have proven that our concerns were spot on; I especially feel vindicated because people were also slamming me for pointing out the similarities between Simport and the Facebook games that I am familiar with, and because I was fully aware of the social interactions that would be required to make this work, and in fact, predicted that it would quickly become a grind. It gives me no small amount of satisfaction (petty though it makes me seem) to know that I was right all along, and events have unfolded almost exactly the way I predicted that they would.
    I have a blacklist for the most obnoxius ones, yes. :wink:
    And yes I have also recognized the low opposition (if any). :)
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Maybe the next time people have reservations over some "new feature" that EA wants to introduce, players will be quicker to listen and not dismiss the concerns out of hand. It would be nice if that were to be the case, but knowing my fellow Simmers as I do, I doubt very much that it will ever happen that way.
    New Simmers arrive all along at this forum, so my hopes are pretty low. What the heck, we grow older, we learn from every confrontation and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Cyron43 wrote:

I actually followed many of these discussions without posting. As someone who hates confrontation, the tone of the posts in this forum are pretty vulgar to me, and therefore I stayed well away.

I did admire those of you who stood your ground, especially Jarsie, Pepperbutt and yourself.

I only want two things: the games to stop taking the ludicrous turns they have in the past three years, and for the gamers to be more respectful people.
  • Options
    LendyyenLendyyen Posts: 119 New Member
    edited March 2012
    I agree that there are a lot of bugs in this game (with or without Simport), but I try to work around them. When Sims 3 first came out, it was almost unplayable and it certainly did a poor job with progression. Since then, there have been fixes and additions to the game and some introduced new bugs to the mix. Simport is just another of those additions. I am sure most of it will be ironed out eventually and if not, the community of helpers will come up with workarounds for any errors that you might encounter. Crincrict is an example of this. He/she (sorry I don't know which) always has a bug report with every expansion and has a blog site where you can find out more. Whether or not this is his/her responsibility is not the point. Crincrict does it because he/she wants to and you find most of your answers to past problems either in his blog or in the bug report. When Simport has been around for a while, I am sure any remaining problems will have a solution there as well.

There is already a feature similar to "friends online" included in the Simport wall. In the friends list you can filter out the friends that haven't been active recently by clicking on the "recently active" filter. This will show you who has been active in the past few posts. Simply click on their portrait and go to their wall to post a message. Ask them if they are around and if they would like to host/tour. If they don't answer then don't attempt to host or tour with them. Simport is similar to those old play by mail games. If there is no one there to check the mail, you are going to be waiting a long time to update your stampbook. Waiting longer than the 24 hours mentioned earlier is not advised. This is a sign that something else is wrong and you should takes steps to find out what can be done to fix your game such as checking the bug report.

I would rather not use mods to crack the stamp file. I had bad experiences with CC and mods in Sims 2. In fact, the solution I mentioned earlier for hosting only worked once. Now I suspect one or more of my mods may be conflicting with the way simport works. I am trying to figure that out now.
  • Options
    Mashimar0Mashimar0 Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited March 2012
    so i tried this simport thingy, i was able to host someone.
    but the problem is when i tried to send my sim away for a gig, at first i didn't wanna bother others, so i just used hubby's computer with both on at the same time to simport. I accepted the hosting from the second computer and the gig was set to Tues 19:00, i waited a whole friggin' sim week, but my sim never showed up for the show.
    vyogg9rodtfcebiur2om.gif