Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 Team Building Challenge - Archive of Entries and Results

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    TeamBuildTeamBuild Posts: 54
    edited November 2011
    Challenge 13

TEAM Building Challenge #13**Pre-Fabulous by Sears**

If you’re a fan of turn-of-the century architecture, then you’re most likely already aware of the Sears houses which were available for order out of the Sears catalogue. Seriously – you could order yourENTIRE house from the Sears catalogue ! How cool is that? The house kit would arrive with pre-cut lumber, staircases, etc. via train to a station near you. All you required was a team of males (usually family members) to follow the detailed plans and put together the pre-fabulous house of your dreams.

Your task for this team challenge is to choose one of the 400+ home plans offered by Sears and bring it to life in TS3. The house plans from Sears range from cottages of several rooms to 3-story “mansions.” Pick the house plan that fits your style and run with it! The most complex plan will not necessarily be the winner - overall execution of architecture and design will be the deciding factors.

The architect should be sure to indicate which house plan was chosen in his/her entry and include a link to the floorplan from the Sears home plan website. Any house plan from 1908 to 1940 is acceptable for the challenge. The design and landscaping is up to you - you can choose to create a modern update for the design or attempt a design that would be appropriate to the floorplan’s year. Neither choice will receive more credit – again, overall execution of the design choice will be the deciding factor.

Design Brief:
    Choose a Sears home plan circa 1908 – 1940
    Faithfully execute that home plan on an appropriate sized lot of your choosing (any rooms from the original plan that are being re-purposed for modern living need to be indicated in the architect’s media)
    Provide a link to the home plan, indicating year and plan name in your entry
    Interior design and landscaping are up to individual teams – can be vintage or modern update
    CC is welcome for this challenge :)

Project Due Dates

Phase 1 due Sunday, July 17
    Phase 2 due Sunday, July 24
    Phase 3 due sunday, July 31
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Challenge 13 Entries and Results
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Team Challenge #14 – Treetop Elven Village

While enjoying a relaxing weekend off, you notice a young couple fishing in the local pond. You don’t remember seeing them before, so you decide to stroll over and introduce yourself. Intent on their task, it takes them a while to notice you.

Screenshot-15.jpg

“Ahem,” you clear your throat, stepping closer to the young woman at the edge of the water. She turns, and her eyes open wider in surprise. She is tall and slender, with reddish brown hair and olive skin. Her eyes are a mix of green and gold, and immediately draw you in, creating a sense of familiarity.

Screenshot-16.jpg

“Oh! Hi,” she begins. “May I help you?”

Your smile widens and you introduce yourself. “I don’t remember seeing you before, so I wondered if you were new in town?”

“Yes, actually we are,” she replies. “We are looking for some property so we can move here. We won’t be able to stay in our current home much longer.”

“Oh my, is it a job change or something?” you ask.

“Well, if only it were that simple,” she answered, smiling wistfully. “Actually, the land and trees where we live are being bulldozed by a company that is building a paper mill in their place.”

Screenshot-35.jpg

“Oh, that’s terrible! I’m so sorry this is happening to you. I hope you can find something suitable in Sunset Valley,” you sympathize.

“Thank you,” she answers. “We’re hoping we will be able to relocate soon. We are just having trouble finding something that meets our requirements. Of course, it doesn’t help that we are new to the area.”

“Hey! I can help with that! I own a design firm that designs and builds homes for sims here,” you explain.

“Really? That would be wonderful! I told Rhiam (REE am) we would find something soon! Oh, I’m so sorry, I am Sherry Wildhazel, and this is my husband, Rhiam,” she offers apologetically.

Screenshot-42.jpg

“It is so nice to meet both of you! Come by my office on Monday morning, and we will work out the details,” you invite as you shake hands with Sherry and Rhiam Wildhazel and walk back toward your car.

Screenshot-44-1.jpg

After your meeting on Monday, you review your notes before contacting your team. It will be a most interesting project. The Wildhazels have told you that the lot will not be just for them, but it will basically be a small village for their “tribe”. It contains many challenges, and will stretch your creative abilities.

This should be a self-contained village to be built on a large (maximum 60 x 60) lot with a wooded, park-like setting and hidden from street view.

You should include multiple small homes or sleeping quarters with a community area for socialization and an area for outdoor family entertainment. All buildings should be raised from the ground with concealed access. There will be three families to start, but more may come later, so it would be nice to have room to expand.

As a community in general, they have a green thumb and are eco friendly. A garden and pond would be wonderful assets. They prefer to live off the land and are not comfortable with a lot of technology.

Project Brief:

Any size, maximum 60 x 60 wooded lot
    At least 3 small homes/sleeping quarters
    Community area
    Outdoor Family entertainment
    All buildings raised from ground with concealed access
    Eco friendly, green thumb
    Garden and pond a plus
    Not comfortable with technology
    No budget
    No CC please, store content is acceptable

Project Due Dates

Phase 1 due Sunday, August 14
    Phase 2 due Sunday, Sunday, August 21
    Phase 3 due Sunday, August 28
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Challenge 14 -- Treetop Elven Village Entries

Team TKZ

Building (ZYIsSims): SLIDESHOW
    Rationale - I was thinking Myst when I built this. In the first Myst there was was a civilization that lived in trees because there world was almost entirely made of water. This challenge made me think of what would it look like if ppl lived in pods high above the ground. I made the "pods" have different heights, and shapes, to add interest.

Landscaping (tristarin): SLIDESHOW

Interior (kelren837):
    SLIDESHOW
    Rationale- I chose the colors and decorating style I did to make the indoor areas feel like the outdoors. I wanted to use colors found in nature along with plenty of plants and wood textures. There are many different bedroom options with an area for painting and reading as well. There are also outdoor/indoor living spaces that offer entertainment and relaxation.

Link to final lot (I couldn’t get it onto the exchange): http://www.mediafire.com/?5cpj3av2j2tway9

CreativeSparks:
    Presenting Wildwood Treetop Village

ARCHITECTURE: Flobobunny
    Rationale: “When I think treetop village, I think connecting stairs and walkways (think Star Wars Ewok village) and that's what I have tried to emulate with my architecture. When I thought of how an elven house might look my first instinct was to make the structure round (well as round as you can get with this game) and to use wood....lots of wood!. As a team we decided that we would like to have a shared building for the kitchen, dining, living spaces and separate buildings for the private quarters. I also built a separate building to house his and hers bathrooms. Each building is supported by a "trunk" of reclaimed wood.”
    Phase 1 Download
    Phase 1 Slideshow

LANDSCAPING: Mene
    Rationale: “Landscaping the Elven Village I tried to make it look as natural as possible using hilly terrain with large overgrown trees, and avoiding flowers and manicured gardens. I wanted to keep it looking a bit wild and make it feel that the woods and trees were left mostly undisturbed and even cherished while the elves lived around them. At night various trees are lit by spotlights to give them center stage.

A few things I added: ponds and streams for fishing, a childrens play area, dining area with fire pit, a place for sculpting, a vegetable patch, and plenty of seating amongst the trees.””
    Phase 2 Download
    Phase 2 Slideshow

INTERIOR DESIGN: KateSterling
    Rationale:
    “When I think of a treetop village, I think of: Natural, Rustic, Handmade

In my interior design, I concentrated on using furniture that is made from natural materials such as wood or wicker and looks as though it could have been hand-carved or hand-woven by the villagers. I kept my floors the same as the salvaged wood used on the exterior floors. For the interior walls, I used various wood paneling either left natural or paint-washed and rustic. Also, all lighting is strictly candlelight.

My focus was to “bring the outdoors in” so I used plenty of plants and outdoor themed items. Additionally, the shared building features a lovely atrium with a kitchen garden on the lower level and an over-look on the upper level. I felt the nature-loving residents would feel most “at home” with all the "outdoor touches".

Also, I took clues from the architecture and landscaping. I carried the colors of the architecture indoors to add a sense of “flow” from outdoors to indoors. I used the clever clover rugs that Mene used outdoors inside as well and highlighted her beautiful landscaping with sim photography.

A note: this lot is entirely CC free. The artwork is sim photography of the lot itself or of my real life artwork. (My real life art was converted into sim art by my friend Dawn and my sim then photographed the sim art to keep it CC free).

I used color to signify each of the three families private sleeping quarters. The families are: the Green Family, Orange Family and Yellow Family. I combined those colors in the shared buildings.

The ladies bathroom was made a bit more feminine with a splash of flowers mixed with the clover rug.

In the end, I am very pleased with our lot. I feel it is a perfect example of a natural, rustic, enchanted village where elves would feel “at home”.”
    Phase 3 Download
    Phase 3 Slideshow

Team members & roles: Scoiattolo - Architect, Whispering Truth - Designer, Kitkat - Landscaper
    Lot Name/Size/Cost: Indelshire Falls/60x60/lanscaping+architecture, 87,647
    Lot Address: 1 Ampitheatre Parkway, Twinbrook
    Details/rationale:

Architecture - The village is built on top of a hill. I let the buildings grow out of the contours of the hill. Wood is, of course, the primary building material. I used flower box windows for the windows that face the elevated walkways which connect the buildings (so that they can be easily tended by the Elven villagers). I also used lots of windows so that the Elven villagers can feel connected to the outside.

Interior Design: I created a common dining and living area for the elves of the village to come together for dinner and fun. I chose to furnish it in nice wood furniture to give the feeling of the woodland that they love. I also put several plants so as to bring nature closer to them as well. Each room has a different furniture theme for the different elves and their style. Mother Nature room (a lot of vines on the walls and furnishings, candle lit, greens, and wooden furnishings), Craftsman room (handmade carved furniture, greens, and earthy tones), Wonderland Room (a fun playful room in light colors, and soft colored wood, curved shaped furniture), and the Midcentury Room, (more modern furniture, less nature but still used blue like the sky, and natural wood).

Landscaping - I wanted it to feel like the village was in the treetops. To accomplish the lot was first terraformed to created a terraced effect. Once the buildings were in place, trees were set all around. I tried to use some of the more mysterious looking trees like the banyan and the oak with spanish moss in it. Trees were relied on more than flowering plants which gives the lot a natural, overgrown look. For the open deck spaces, I added seating and plants which add to the whimsical, Elvish feel.

Link to lot:
    Architecture
    Interior Design

Link to media:
    Architecture
    Interior Design

Landscaping

The final is in two parts - sorry I couldn't get WT's lot to install. It kept saying that I needed to update my game even though I did. Grrr...

Jasnik, Judywork, Garbuckle
    extension for hurricane

Judywork - Landscaping
    My rationale was simply to keep to their love of nature, adhere as much as possible to their not wanting technology, and cater to their eco-friendly traits. I also wanted them to have a complete communal village living space, which I believe I accomplished!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/60413040@N02/sets/7215762737845709
    3/]photos [/url]

slideshow

Jasnik - Interior
    Rationale: Since this is a large lot and covered in trees, its easy to lose your way, so I decided to give each tree-house a different look. There are five tree-houses, The Apple, The Orange, The Maple, The Lovers Nest, and the Great Library, where ElfinSims have been recording useful information for generations.
    Pictures
    Lot

Treetop Elven Village
    Team Challenge 14 Results

CreativeSparks:

[IMG]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Team Challenge/Team Challenge 14/55.jpg "width=512 height=384"[/IMG]

Wow. I don’t know if I can say anything else! Just wow. Not only is there a multitude of activities, both inside and out, it is seamlessly integrated so that I can’t distinguish where one team member left off and the next started. It took me forever just to look around to see what was there. Since the clients requested the lot to be hidden in the trees, this lot accommodates. I love that it has a playground area, as well as many adult activities. It is great that you kept it very primitive with little or no electricity, but still give them every luxury. There are many perfect or near perfect garden plants. The grouped columns are very creative, and offer support for the structure with a natural look. The curved roofs are both functional and whimsical. The only thing I might have changed is to give them some different fish spawners for fishing.

Inside you also give the clients exactly what they ask for. I do wish there were hampers in the bedrooms so the sims did not leave their clothes in the floor! There was also some foot stomping at the indoor dining table to fit more than 2 people there, and somehow my sim managed to put her mac and cheese INSIDE your MOO’d cabinet, where she took a bowl for her dinner, and then I couldn’t click on the bowl. Anyway, there are more than enough beds in the 3 sleeping areas, as well as a community living area and kitchen. There is even an indoor garden in the kitchen for extra fresh produce! (and it has butterflies! :D ) What a clever use of photos for more variety in your artwork. The browns, greens, yellows and oranges give the interiors a natural feel, along with the liberal use of wood and the faire furniture, along with other styles. The use of flower patches and clover as door mats and rugs really brings the outside in. This lot has everything your clients could want and more!

Garbuckle, Jasnik, Judywork:

Screenshot-309-2-1.jpg

I really like the recycling center at the front of the lot, very creative! The outdoor bathrooms are great! I have concerns about privacy issues with the shower, but maybe it will work! The covered bridge is beautiful, I might have to add that to all of my lots! I love all the outdoor activities, fitness and fun, and many outdoor “rooms” such as a little chapel, a laundry room, kitchen and dining area, and entertainment area. There are also many varieties of produce plants for them to harvest which will be useful. May I suggest you CAS the inside of your foundation on the bridges to make them look as if they are still made of stone when you drop down. There seemed to be a lot of different wood colors used, but maybe this was to give the impression they used what they had. In any case, I thought it would be nice to see fewer varieties of wood. The pool is beautiful, and the stream running through the lot.

I love that each treehouse is its own self-contained house. There are two treehouses without kitchens of any sort, so I wish that they had some type of food preparation area. Although, it is not absolutely necessary since they have such a well equipped community kitchen! The fencing used to divide the areas gives a sense of privacy without making the rooms look too small. This arrangement of living areas allows each family to have some alone time, or to use the community facilities with the other families. There is no shortage of indoor or outdoor activities. In all it gives a very natural feel, as if built into the forest. Perfect for any tribe of elves or faire folk!

Scoiattolo, WhisperingTruth, Kitkat

[IMG]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Team Challenge/Team Challenge 14/Screenshot-1563.jpg "width=512 height=319"[/IMG]

I loved the trees and plants that you used, it really made the build look mystical and fantasty-like. I wish that there had been more activities, especially outside for our nature loving elves. The waterfall is beautiful, and the garden is nicely situated. I love the description of the heart tree, and the pool surrounding it. The separate bedroom areas were just what I pictured for the treehouse, and the community areas give the families someplace to come together. The decor and furnishings bring nature into the homes, and also give each family their own sense of style. I wish I could have seen the décor and the landscaping together in one lot, but I understand that you were working against a lot of issues. The architecture is more house like, and keeps everything centrally located, while the hill raises the build up for a wonderful view. It seems like it would be fairly easy to play in game. You did a great job, especially for getting together with a last minute team!

Team TKZ

Screenshot-803-1.jpg

The architecture of this build is so interesting and unique! It just adds so much character! I really love your entrance to the treehouse, it was so well hidden, but still accessible. In fact, all of the concealed stairs were just perfect! The lot was overflowing with flowers, but I would have liked to see more trees to make it more hidden. The colors were very beautiful, though! It was like wandering through the Garden of Eden. The playground was so charming and unique, with everything arranged in a circle around the children’s treehouse. The orchard is lovely, and the balcony overlooking the water jets is just gorgeous.

The kitchen here is fabulous!!! It is perfect for a community kitchen. The large windows, flowers and greenery throughout the interiors really brought the outside in. The nursery and children’s rooms were absolutely adorable!! I only saw one double bed in the photos, so I guess they will have lots of kids to keep up with!  I might have liked to see more activities, both inside and out, but all in all this was a fantastic build!

The Winner:

I really loved all of these treehouses. Maybe because I enjoy fantasy so much, they all had so much appeal to me, and were so different. It was difficult to decide what it was that I really loved about each one because they had so much to them. And it was difficult to go by the pictures for that same reason. In the end, I went with the one that felt like home and had the right balance of seclusion, outdoor life, and family.

Congratulations to Creative Sparks, Flobo, Mene, and KateSterling, for their Wildwood Treetop Village!

[IMG]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Team Challenge/Team Challenge 14/55.jpg "width=512 height=384"[/IMG]

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Team Building Challenge #15 – Back to Basics.

Celine and Philippe’s wedding turned out to be a wonderful event, with many of their family members flying in from all over France to enjoy the big day. Celine looked stunning in her dress, and everyone agreed that the venue was the perfect choice. Andre got a little carried away with the free bar, and ended up passing out on the dance floor, and Celine couldn’t resist one for the album.

The next day Celine and Philippe, met Andre and the family for breakfast. They had a lot to talk about, the wedding and all it’s planning, their trip to Sunset Valley, and how much Celine had enjoyed spending time with her brother and his family, and congratulations to the newlyweds Mr and Mrs Ladeau. Then with excitement in her voice, Celine announced that she and Phillipe had found a house by the beach and were planning to find jobs and stay right there in Sunset Valley. Andre and Marianne were overjoyed, and couldn’t wait to see the house.
    A few months later, Celine and Philippe were all settled into their new home, and had both found a job. Celine continued her career in the military, and Philippe had taken a job at the local science facility.

One morning, when he arrived at work, Philippe had been informed that there was a hurricane currently offshore, but with the potential of hitting Sunset Valley within the next couple of days. Everyone was instructed to review emergency procedures, and be ready to shut down the science facility ahead of the storm, if needed. The whole of sunset Valley was assured that the scientists were doing all they could to track the hurricane and keep the community informed.
    The next day, it became apparent that the hurricane would brush past the coastline, creating high surf and possible flooding to homes along the ocean. Celine and Philippe took shelter with Andre and Marianne, as their house was farther inland and a little safer.

After a whole day of heavy rain, and howling winds, the town of Sunset Valley, got out to assess the damage. The Chevaliers were fortunate to have only a little tree debris to contend with. But for the residents of Sun Song Avenue and all low lying area along the beach, the mess was devastating.

Celine and Philippe feared the worst as they managed to carefully navigate the roads leading up to their home. So many tree limbs and building debris scattered everywhere. The sea had obviously played a huge part in the destruction, and as they pulled up outside, Celine was horrified to find a boat had been washed up onto their front porch. The couple could hardly believe their eyes, their new home, was all but destroyed. The roofs were gone, walls and fences had been knocked down, and the house was flooded. Tears streaming down her face, and utterly speechless, Celine turned to Philippe as he wrapped his arms around her. “It’s ok, it’s ok, we are fine, and that’s all that matters” Philippe said. “I know it seems impossible now, but we will overcome this” he whispered, still holding her tight. They headed back to the Chevaliers, for a much needed glass of nectar, and some time to think about what to do next.

All over town people were coming together to help each other in any way they can. Shelters were put up for those who had nowhere to go, schools were closed until roads could be reopened, and stores were distributing free water to the most severely effected areas. The Mayor declared a state of emergency for Sunset Valley, and promised he would do all he can to get the town running again.

Over the last few weeks, Celine and Philippe had contacted a demolition company, and had the land cleared, ready to rebuild. With the help of Mr Agent, the Ladeau’s are hoping to find the right team of builders, to build them a new home. Unfortunately the insurance company did not pay out, due to lots of fine print regarding hurricanes, and mother nature, blah blah blah. This left the Ladeau’s with very little simoleans to spend, and since they are homeless, no time to waste on customizing furniture etc. It’s back to basics!

The Challenge
    Your challenge is to build Celine and Philippe a new home, using The Sims 3 base game only. No cc, store stuff OR EP’s/SP’s. What? This is a challenge after all. 
    Before you panic, it is possible to open your game without custom or store content. CAUTION!! I would recommend creating a no cc save game specifically for this, or else all cc (including store stuff) will be removed from your town and replaced with other objects. Open the launcher and click on the installed content button. Just above your listed items is a check box, with the option to “Run without custom content”. Put a check in the box and start your game. ALWAYS remember to make sure the box is unchecked before opening your other saved games.

The specifics.
    Build on 1 Sun Song Avenue (20x30)
    Base game only + your creative brilliance
    Budget $100,000
    2/3 bedrooms + workout room + room for chemistry lab
    Not compulsory, but a space for future pets would be nice
    A small manageable veg garden
    Beautiful ocean views
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Challenge 15 Entries

Phase 1
    Phase 2
    Phase 3

Creative Sparks
    Katesterling, architecture
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4590876
    PICS - http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu213/i4selling/Team Challenge 15 Phase 1 by CreativeSparks/?albumview=slideshow

Rationale:

Newlyweds Celine and Philippe were devastated by the loss of their first home. They drew strength from each other and began planning for a new little love nest. Knowing that their budget was merely $100,000 simoleons, they knew they couldn’t afford a mansion. Yet with specific requirements, they thought it best to hire budget-savvy Architect, KateSterling.

Kate, Celine and Philippe discussed the requirements and together they settled on a wonderful plan! Kate suggested a coastal style home, built to withstand potential flooding. Together, the three chose a color palette of ocean colors to harmonize with the environment and offer a cheerful fresh feel.

The area under the main level of the home would serve as a perfect spot for a swimming pool, which would provide both exercise and entertainment. Ample space was left in the pool area for exercise equipment. A back room was sectioned off to provide a chemistry/laundry/utility room. Taking advantage of the corner lot, Kate decided to place the driveway, carport and bicycle shed in back to leave the welcoming front entrance as the focal point.

On the main level, the main living area is situated near the large picture windows to maximize views of the ocean. Since newlyweds Celine and Philippe envisioned starting a family someday, a room for a nursery was included as well as a guestroom. A private deck was also included off the master bedroom for the enjoyment of Celine and Philippe.

In the end, a cheerful structure was erected which was both cozy and budget-minded to even allow room in the budget for future updates or a car, yet all the requirements were satisfied.

Gokukaren, landscaping
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4610301#
    PICS - http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h454/goku7675/Back to Basics Team Challenge/
    Rationales to be submitted together with Phase 3. Please note regarding Phase 2: The car is not included with the build, it was only used for screenshots. The fenced- in area at right/front is suitable for a pet. I re-named my Sims 3 file to download and landscape the house and the new file(game) did not contain any CC or store items. Every effort was made to use only BASE game patterns but something must have sneaked in because upon uploading I noticed World Adventures listed in upload information. I have no idea which pattern was WA, it could be many things. I did try to go back in to see if I could recognize the culprit but realized it could be anything I utilized.

Flobobunny, interiors
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4649111#
    PICS - http://www.flickr.com/photos/68200746@N08/sets/72157627789167318/show/
    Newlyweds Celine and Philippe were pleased with the progress on the exterior and just needed an interior designer to furnish and decorate the interior of their newly built home. After reviewing portfolios and the suggested plans of local interior designers, they felt Flobobunny’s style best suited their own taste. Philippe phoned Flo to let her know the job was hers.

Flo was pleased to receive Philippe’s call and immediately got to work shopping for furnishings and décor based on her proposed interior design plan.

Flo continued the ocean palette from outdoors inside to provide a sense of continuity. She highlighted seaside photography and nautical accents to continue the ocean theme. The furniture was arranged to keep the layout open and very livable.

The kitchen and dining room was kept casual, cozy and practical with plenty of seating for the times that Celine and Philippe entertained. The living room furniture was placed so that the ocean view was always in focus. Since Celine and Philippe beamed at the possibility of starting a family, Flo focused on creating a charming nursery for a future bundle of joy. She provided a restful master bedroom for Celine and Philippe. Flo kept the guest bedroom neutral to compliment the rest of the home and provide a welcoming place for overnight guests. On the lower level, Flo kept the utility room practical, providing storage cabinets, a tool chest and room for a washer and dryer to be installed as well as chemistry table for Philippe.

In the end, Flo was pleased with her design and came in under budget allowing for the purchase of a washer and dryer, chemistry table, future maintenance, updates or possibly a new car. She couldn’t wait to present their new home to her clients.

SillyCatWorks
    garbuckle3000: architecture
    LOT - http://www.4shared.com/file/jfxNslpP/SillyCatWorksWIP.html
    PICS - http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/kbahrbarrie/Sims 3 Team Projects/SillyCatWorksWIP2.jpg
    Rationale: There wasn't much rationale to this one. We all agreed on a design inspiration picture, and I just did what I could to match the style and colours. I tried to keep it as small as I could, to fit on the lot and keep the budget down.

Judywork: landscaping
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4648084#
    PICS - http://www.flickr.com/photos/60413040@N02/sets/72157627788331584/
    Our Rationale for the entire build was to follow the Beach front dreams and the basics. We wanted to give the couple a bright future full of blue skies and sunshine after such an awful beginning. Once the basic architecture was complete, the interior designer and landscaper chose to scavenge around the hurricane ruins for anything that might still be usable and also remind people of Pre-Hurricane Sunset Valley!

SillyCailey: interior design
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4629696#
    PICS - http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae350/SillyCailey/15th Team Challenge/Final Interior/

Flying Without A Licences
    KOman123 - Architect
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4593819
    PICS -
    Rationale: Given the french name Chevaliers, I could only think of one think, the beaches of normandy in the french country side. Thus the idea of a traditional french home was born! This home features 4 total storys with lots of living space, the shutters on the outside of the home bring in the feel of the beach, and an open floorplan is reminecent of a traditional beach house. Current Price: 36,000.

SimmerwithSkill - Interiors
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4658342
    PICS - http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z395/Drawingfingers1/Beach House Challenge/?albumview=slideshow
    SimmerwithSkill's Rationale:

My Design was mainly Luxury. I went for quality items and materials, that would remind the the newlyweds about there time in France. I included 3 bedrooms, but one of them could easily be turned into a nursery, with the extra money. I also built a little nook for a Chemistry Table, on the last floor. I really had fun matching everything and making the house feel homey.
    Current Prices~ Unfurnished: 61,119
    Furnished: 93,957

ClarkFamilySims - Landscaping
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4611293
    PICS - http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=357241
    ClarkFamilySims Rationale:

I wanted to provide a simple yard seeing as the Chevaliers when outside would spend most the time at the beach. Simple sitting area out front and in back for days the Chevaliers didn’t have the energy to walk to the beach. A great place for morning coffee out front. The back yard is ready for cool evenings around the fire pit looking out the beautiful shore line.
    Current Price: 48,872.

SKW Builders
    Scoiattolo - Architect
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4595374
    PICS - http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab173/Scoiattolo9/Team Challenge 15/?albumview=slideshow
    Rationale: I built a traditional beach house with a contemporary feeling. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, an open kitchen/dining room/living room space with fireplace, work room, basement, a large front porch and back deck. The porch and the many windows allow for breathtaking ocean views.

Kittkat - Landscaping
    whisperingtruth - Interiors
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4646271
    PICS - http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/ccslocum/Contemporary Beach House/?albumview=slideshow
    Rationale: I decorated the house with a blue and cream, and light wood palette to go with the beach theme. I chose modern furnishings to keep the home feeling fresh and clean. It was fun to use only base game decor, a challenge, but a fun one. I really love this house.

Team TKZ
    ZYI - builder
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4593996
    PICS - http://s220.photobucket.com/upload/albums/silviaBroome/?location=Team+build+TKZ+Beach+house
    I wanted a home that had wonderful views of the water. Two front Decks give the perfect places to entertain. The master has beautiful french doors that open to the upper balcony. There's not much yard but when you live right across the from the beach who cares. Only thing could make this better is if it were surrounded by water. The house has three bedrooms and two bathrooms there is also a balcony bounus room, and a small simi concealed room in which crafting would be fun.

kelren - interiors
    tristarin - landscaping
    LOT - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4608726
    PICS - http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz155/tristarin/TeamTKZ Sep 11 build/?albumview=slideshow
    Rationale: I wanted a laid back beach cottage feel for the yard. Sea oats, protected dunes and wooden boardwalks are the feel you have on many eastern coast beaches. I placed a small garden easily managed by -newly- married couples who may have other activities on their minds. A small pond is stocked with fish near the back deck. Native flora and fauna thrive in the sandy soil around the home. Perfect for any couple who wants to live the beach vacation dream.

Results

Sillycatworks
    Quaint architecture, love the blue, has a nice beach home feel. I feel the stairs are a little overwhelming at the front for the size of the lot. Love the dormers. The garden is a lovely size and looks nice fenced off. I like the seperate seating areas by the pool and on the raised decks. Pretty beachy colour scheme inside, feels homely with nicely fitted rooms. Creative use of the beach sign adds character. Love the open kitchen dining area. You managed to fill the rooms well, with only base game.

Flying without licenses
    This home is beautifully designed and would indeed remind the Ladeau's of France. I love the blue shutters and the dormer windows. It is hard to get a feel for the layout of the house as there were no overheads. The landscaping you have does suit the house well, although it does look a little unfinished. Perhaps a few more shrubs and some terrain paint would have worked nicely. I love the workout room, the colours in here are lovely and the room is nicely finished. I also like the bathroom, but I do see an obvious Late Night pattern in there ;-) I think the stairwell would have been better framed with some fencing for a more realistic look.

Creative Sparks
    Nice idea behind the design, raising the house up in case of future flooding. Beach theme is great and the placement of grasses, rocks and trees suit perfecly. Allowed space for all requirements with nice sized rooms. The walkout from the pool is nice with the fire pit. Love the little fenced garden. Plenty of parking space and lots of balconies and windows utilizing the views. Pretty colour scheme inside and out. I love how you kept consistency throughout all rooms of the house. You did a fab job with just the base game items. Each room feels homely and well put together.

SKW Builders

Gorgeous architechure, this house looks so pretty. I am thrilled that you re-used the old washed up boat, really nice touch. It isnt base game but since it was reclaimed from the lot I'm ok with that. Unfortunately I also see a huge WA rock, oops! The garden is manageable and the pool area fits nicely with the house. I love the trellis work with the climbing plants. The interior colour scheme and furniture placement is nicely done and feels homely. The kitchen is lovely.

Team TKZ

I like the pretty blue, and the beach style. Lots of balconies with ovean views are great. The landscaping is lovely, I really like the addition of the little pond, and the way you raised the terrain around it. Not quite sure what happened in the end with Kelren, I didnt see any pictures from her. I hope she is ok.

And now for the winning house.

screenshot_original-20-1.jpg
    Coastal Charm by Creative Sparks.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Team Building Challenge #16 – Seasons

What’s the challenge? Let’s call it… Seasons - 4 Plans, 4 Palettes! You have a choice of four house plans to build and 4 palettes to decorate with. I think it will be really fun to see the different combinations that teams come up with. There are some more complex plans to inspire and challenge advanced builders and others that builders of all skill levels can execute. For the house plans, think of it more as an inspiration for the build rather than a strict “copy the plan” challenge. Interior layouts can vary from that indicated by the plan. Try to keep the “footprint” of the house you build similar to that of the plan’s foundation. For the palettes, try use the main colors as much as possible, but feel free to mix in neutrals as desired (black, white, cream, beige, grey, etc.) as desired. You can use different hues of the same hex color as well (use your color sliders in CAS). After all, I wouldn’t expect to see JUST these colors in a house 8) Have fun! I can’t wait to see what you design :)

The Plans (click the pic for specifics):

MerveilleVivante.jpg

Hummingbird.jpg

TheWharton.jpg

CliffsidePerch.jpg

The Palettes (click the image to get hex codes):

COLOURloverscom-spring_grey_hued_sky.jpg

COLOURloverscom-berry_summer.jpg

COLOURloverscom-Fuji_Apple.jpg

COLOURloverscom-Winter_time-2.jpg

The specifics.

Build on a 40x40 or smaller lot
    No budget
    At least two Bedrooms
    Include plenty of outdoor living space.
    Be creative!
    CC IS allowed!!!
    Your lot will be judged primarily by your pictures, so be sure to plenty of them. It's better to err on the side of excess ;)

Project Due Dates

Phase 1 due Sunday, Oct 23rd
    Phase 2 due Sunday, Oct 30th
    Phase 3 due Sunday, Nov 6th
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Challenge 16 Entries and Results
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Team Building Challenge #17

I would like to dedicate this challenge in memory of my beloved cat Tribble who lost her 3 ½ year fight with chronic kidney failure and heart disease Saturday night. She went peacefully while sleeping next to us on the couch. We will miss you Tribble!
    ~ Sherry1968

[IMG]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Pets/Tribblehiding-1.jpg "width=400 height=400"[/IMG]

Two of a Kind

You are quite proud of your last build and sit in your office reflecting on how well all the details came together. You look out the window, and see an odd little man walking up to the building. He has long flowing white hair and a long beard and he looks old and wise. In his left hand he is carrying a wooden staff, and appears to be wearing a long, white robe. Curious, you get up to meet him at the door. He seems to examine the door for a moment as if not sure what to make of it. Watching discreetly through the window, you wait to see what he will do…

[IMG]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Team Challenge/Team Challenge 17/Screenshot-737.jpg "width=650 height=375"[/IMG]

“HELLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!” He calls in a weathered voice.

Smiling to yourself, you open the door just as he draws a breath to yell again. Startled, the man backs up a step and then smiles. “Hi, and welcome to my office,” you greet him, holding out your hand. He looks down at your hand briefly and then grabs it, looking up at you with a questioning glance. You introduce yourself and your firm, and ask his name, but he merely responds that his name is not important. “Oh, okay,” you say, a little taken aback. “Tell me, how may I help you today?”

“I have been given a rather large project, and I believe I will need some help. Your firm came recommended highly.”

“Well, that is wonderful to hear! Come inside and we can discuss your project.”

[IMG]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Team Challenge/Team Challenge 17/Screenshot-750.jpg "width=650 height=375"[/IMG]

He follows you toward the conference table, and you gesture toward one of the chairs as you take your seat. “So please tell me what kind of project you have and what your requirements are. I’m sure we will be able to help,” you assure him.

“Well,” he begins, “I have it on the highest authority that we will be receiving a LOT of rain in the near future. So much rain, in fact, that all of Sunset Valley and the surrounding cities and towns, in fact the entire planet, will be in grave danger of severe flooding. I have been instructed to build a rather large boat on which my family and some animals will live during this time.”

[IMG]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Team Challenge/Team Challenge 17/Screenshot-757.jpg "width=650 height=375"[/IMG]

“Oh, my!” You exclaim, “That sounds very serious! Well, we generally deal strictly with houses, but I think we might be able to help with a boat. So, how large are we talking? Just enough for few dogs and cats?”

“Actually, I have measurements for you. The length should be 300 cubits, the breadth 50 cubits, and 30 cubits in height,” the man explains.

“Um, cubits?” you ask, confused. “I’m really not familiar with that form of measurement…”

“I apologize, it would be approximately 150 simmeters in length, 25 simmeters in breadth, and 15 simmeters in height in your system of measurement.”

“Wow! That is a VERY large boat!” You exclaim. “You mentioned a family and animals. Exactly what type of accommodations would you require?”

[IMG]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Team Challenge/Team Challenge 17/Screenshot-771.jpg "width=650 height=375"[/IMG]

“As far as family goes, there is myself and my wife, our three sons and their wives. That would be eight people altogether. Of the animals, we will need room for 2 of everything -- 2 cats, dogs, horses, birds, lizards, turtles, rodents, snakes, butterflies, and beetles. I think we should have 4 separate bedrooms for the people, and then accommodate the animals as best you can. We will of course need one or two bathrooms, a place to prepare food and to eat it, and somewhere to relax together.”

“I can see why you would need such a large boat. I will talk with my team and we will get started right away. It should take us about 3 weeks to complete,” you finish.

“Wonderful, that will take a lot of work off of my shoulders. I should mention that it would be best to start building on high ground. Also, I am a man of simple means, so please keep the costs down if possible. I look forward to seeing what you can do!”

[IMG]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Team Challenge/Team Challenge 17/Screenshot-779.jpg "width=650 height=375"[/IMG]

Project Brief:
    ~4 bedrooms
    ~1-2 bathrooms
    ~Kitchen
    ~Living room
    ~Accommodations for 2 each of cats, dogs, horses, birds, lizards, turtles, rodents, snakes, butterflies, and beetles.
    ~The boat should be built on high ground, with natural landscaping.
    ~Include some type of outdoor containment area for the animals until they are prepared to board.
    ~There is no set budget, but try to keep costs down.
    ~Any lot size that can be found in Sunset Valley is acceptable.
    ~Although accommodations are required for the animals, you are not required to have the pets expansion pack to participate. Just use your creativity to provide for the animals.
    ~Be sure to discuss with your teammates your requirements, thoughts, and possible scheduling problems.
    ~I am looking for imagination and creativity most of all, so give some thought to your work!

Project Due Dates:
    First Phase – November 20, 2011
    Second Phase – November 27, 2011
    Third Phase – December 4, 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Challenge 17 Entries and Results

Entries

theJaszySims

Phase 1 - thenecco
    Lot Name/Size/Cost:30x30
    Details/rationale:
    Link to lot:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4834262
    Phase 2- Jasnik82
    Lot Name/Size/Cost:30x30
    Lot Address:477 Sunnyside Boulevard
    Details/rationale:I tried to make our lot look and feel as much like being on a boat as possible. I went with nautical blues and reds for main living areas, and included plenty of wood surfaces, particularly on the ceiling. I gave each bedroom its own personality partly to break up all the blues, but also to suit different sim types. I thought it was important to have musical instruments to help Noah and his family pass the time while stuck at sea. But also allowing for technology before the rains come. The hold below deck is large enough to accommodate all the required animals to live happily for an extended period of time. And after a busy day tending to all those animals, a small bar and relaxation area should do the trick.
    Link to lot: http://www.mediafire.com/?gcvpvl868qlgfgf
    Link to media: http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee484/JasnikSi...ml Build 17 Noahs Ark/
    Store Stuff
    C.U. Mirror
    Land Locked Bookshelf
    Dr Prospers Glowing Orb
    Buccaneers Bar
    The Wandering Wheel
    Alistair Armchair
    Imperial Dynasty Dresser
    Greaves Writing Set
    Marvelous Mirror
    Ultra Lounge Shower
    Ceiling Torchier
    Spa Necessities
    Superior Pedestal Sink
    Williams Sconce
    Ultra Stylish Towel Rack
    Porcelain Tub
    Romantique Table Lamp
    Ubervision Panoramic from Landgraab Industries
    Island Sunset Stand
    Foyer Frills
    Whodunit Curtains
    The Benet Phonograph
    Pan of Plants Sculpture
    Vineyard Vittles Shelf
    Portable Platter
    New Years Nectar
    B Harvards Water Collection Set
    Phase 3 - ZYIsSims
    Link to Lot:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4883771
    Link to Media:
    http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd126/silviaBroome/Team Build Noah/?albumview=slideshow
    Details/rationale:Well as a way to get the bottom of the boat out of the ground I decided to go with this.
    As the rain begins to fall it will wash the sand down into the large deep craters. This will allow the boat to rise out of the crater. I had to move the lot to a larger lot to accomodate the holding areas. There is an ample garden to grow and store food for the long wait. There is a play area for the cats and the dogs, and the horses have their own pen. Under the boat I donno if that is what it was supposed to be a deck or not but thats what I made it into. I never got a response from neco about her thoughts so I just made it up as I went. I also made a Dineing area for everyone to relax and eat. Also I made a sitting area for ppl to sit and rest. Noah has choped down alot of the trees to build the walkways and bridges so you will find the stumps everywhere this also allows for when the boat rises up to not be stuck in the trees.[/quote]

Team SillyCatFamily

Link to final lot:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4891630#
    TEAM SillyCatFamily: X.M.A.S Rescue A.R.C - a modern take on Noah's Ark. NO CC
    Lot Name / LotSize / Cost: X.M.A.S. Rescue A.R.C / 60x60 / $222,293
    Lot Address: 15 Summer Hill Court
    Phase One - Architecture - Garbuckle3000
    Link to lot: http://www.4shared.com/file/ICgQYLEo/Santas_Cargo_Ship.html
    Link to Media: http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/kbahrbarrie...go Ship/?albumview=slideshow
    Rationale: We decided to go completely out of the box for this one, and design a craft that would fulfill the needs of today's modern sims, should disaster strike. I'm happy to say that the horses will have no problems entering the vessel, and there is plenty of room for all manner of life.
    Phase Two - Interiors - ClarkFamilySims
    Link to Lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4867292
    Link to Media: https://picasaweb.google.com/109360496747384477186/November30201103?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPbb6b3rw--72gE&feat=directlink
    Rationale:
    My focus was the animals and keeping them safe. I created cages to keep all the interest of each animal in check. The lower level is for the horses, and the check-in area. We have included so temporary holding crates to help get all the animals checked in with ease and peace for all. Also on the lower level is the storage rooms for water and supplies. The 2nd floor is set up for the head of animals Ms Doc. and her staff will be in the bunk room. Each bunk room has a bathroom and the animal care office and bathroom. Then the 3rd and 4th floor wing is all ready for Noah and the Captain to keep the ship safe. Control Panels are located in several main areas just in case of emergency, Captains bedroom and animal care floors have the 2nd-ary controls and the family room contains the main controls hooked in with a telescope and computer. Noah was not to sure at first about the technology available this day and age, however we all know he will see the benefits very soon. Also includes the kitchen and family room all ready for our next Holiday meal...Will it snow?
    Phase Three - Landscaping - SillyCailey
    Link to Lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4891630#
    Link to Media: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae350/SillyCailey/17th Team Challenge/
    Rationale:After accepting the challenge of providing an Ark for Mr. Flood - we did a background investigation and discovered some interesting information. For instance his full name is Kristopher Noah Snow-Flood, seems his mother is from up north and her family name is Snow. Her father's name was Kristopher, he had been a veterianarian who made toys for pets in his spare time. As a child Noah had been called Kris and had dreamed of following in his grand pop's footsteps. But Noah's father insisted that he follow in the Flood footsteps of breeding animals for Zoos. Noah tried to be happy in the flood business, but when his father insisted that he move to Sunset Valley and start those unsubstaintiated rumors of floods again, he made a decision to follow his own path or rescuing animals instead of over breeding animals who would never be able to find homes. After talking with Mr. Flood he insisted on being called Kris Snow-Flood and gave us his updated requirements, he didn't really want to break with his father, but he wanted to start a Coalition to rescue animals and insisted his new ark reflect that intention. He named his ark the X.M.A.S Resuce A.R.C (Animal Rescue Coalition) in this way he figured he could honor both sides fo the family and also fulfill his lifetime wish of saving animals. With these new directions to work with, additional space was provided to accept animals without homes, they could then be treated, healed and forever homes could be found for them. Kris did not forget the wild animals either - he insisted that water and food be made available for them, but he did want the small garden fenced in order to keep the fresh produce for the neediest animals. Old shipping crates were made into adoption crates to hold the overflow of birds and small animals. A 2 stall stable was also an addition to the two stall already on the A.R.C. Kris also insisted that there was room for the horses to get their exercise, and plenty of toys for the dogs and cats had to be accessible by the animals themselves, oh he also made sure that the 'Auto-Wash' was self serve. Kris also wanted an area to hold fund raisers and the bow seemed to be the perfect place to put and outdoor kitchen and also a firepit for those cool nights. Kris knew he had made the right decision on the day that he moved in and it snowed, it seemed to be a sign from his grand pop, who loved snow.

Creative Sparks

Cover.png

Phase 1 - Katesterling
    Lot Name/Size/Cost: 60x60
    Details/rationale: When creating Noah’s ark, I tried to give a timeless feel by following the classic ark shape. Since it is a new construction, I used fresh lumber tones. I tried to include details that showed pride in craftsmanship, as shown in the “rosette-like details”, alternating half-wall/fence detail and the architectural details such as the suns, wheels, oars and helm. I tried to keep the windows realistic according to what would be used on a boat.

I strive for realism in my builds. CFE was used to help create a boat-like shape. The space immediately above the CFE ends were left enclosed, inaccessible to sims.

While trying to maintain realism, this challenge also posed an issue with maintaining functionality for both sims and animals alike. I opted for a functional barn door to avoid the obstacle that stairs cause horses. This is, after all, a Sims lot and functional game play is imperative.

Inside, on the lowest level, I included space for 2 horse stalls. On either side, you will find stairs that lead to dedicated rooms for the smaller animals. To the left, there is an aviary, enclosed with glass to keep our feathered friends safe from kitties but to keep the space feeling open and allow the birds a view out. Just behind the stairs, I also included a small room for the kitty litter box. As a cat owner, a dedicated enclosed cat litter room is on my wish list. To the right, the stairs lead to the reptile room and a rodent room. Again, these rooms are enclosed to keep these animals safe and include windows and glass doors to keep the spaces feeling open. The small space left open by the stairs was meant for shelves to store pet supplies.

Up another level, you will find bedrooms. It was my intention to leave the bedrooms large enough to incorporate a double sim bed and one cat/dog bed in each bedroom. In real life, my cats and dog share my bedroom and I wanted to follow that example. To the left of the stairs is a master bedroom with private master bath. There are three additional bedrooms with a shared bath at the end of the hall. The hall was left lofted to overlook the lower level to add an open, spacious feel.

On the top level, is an open room separated only by half walls to add separation but again keep it feeling open and spacious. The stairs lead to the kitchen, with the dining room in the center and living room to the left. The kitchen and living room both have doors that lead to the deck for convenience.

Overall, I am pleased with the architecture. I feel it exemplifies a timeless ark style with attention to detail and a functional, very playable layout
    Link to lot: http://www.mediafire.com/?pp0qjblbg52p7g4
    Link to Media: http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu213/i4selling/Noahs Ark - by CreativeSparks/?albumview=slideshow

Phase 2- Kateknight/faithofkeala
    Lot Name/Size/Cost: 60x60
    Lot Address:
    Details/rationale: As the back story for this challenge was the great flood, I chose to incorporate the theme into the lot. As you can see the water level has started to rise and some of the lot is now under water. On the first level part of the terrain, you can see a barn structure, this is to store the animals prior to the flood, I carried on the colours and textures used in KateSterling's Ark to help blend the two sturctures together. Within the barn, there is a toilet and hand washing facilities. There are cages for two birds, two turtles, two rodents, two snakes and also two cat beds. The dog houses are outside to the rear of the barn along with a fire pit for Noah and his family to use. Due to the nature of the terrain sculpting on this lot, I chose to inclue a rock garden in this area, to add some colour to the area. The lot also includes, a number of White Hydrangea and Classic Daisies a cheap but colourful selection.

The pathway leading up to the Ark has been kept at an angle that allows both Sims and Horses alike access to the Ark.

On the next platform is the Ark itself, as KateSterling had built a traditional Ark, I decided to compliment that with some traditional landscaping. Also the horse corales are located here, each corale includes a water trough that is fully accesible and some straw. Next to the corales, you will see an area of stored straw. Who knows how long the flood will last?

Behind the Ark and down some stairs is the vegetable garden, I decided to include this for much needed supplies during the flood, there are also some Cypress trees that have started to be chopped for wood. There is another stair case at the bottom of this area which once led to the lower level of the lot, this area has since been flooded.

The deck of the Ark is by no means large and as such did not need a lot of fussy decoration, I added some plant boxes which have been nailed down and some lighting.

Link to lot: http://www.4shared.com/file/Fgj2kjle/CreativeSparksTC17-Noahs_Ark.html
    Link to media: http://s778.photobucket.com/albums/yy67/Faithofkaela/Challenge Folder/Noahs Ark/?albumview=slideshow

Phase 3 - Flobo
    Lot Name/Size/Cost: 60x60/10 summer hill court/cost: 136,185
    Link to Lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4891657
    Link to Media: http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc386/Flobo82/Sparks Ark/?albumview=slideshow
    Details/rationale: For the interiors I wanted to tie the exterior of the boat to the inside as much as I could, so I tried to use the same materials on the interior. I have decorated the living areas in a comfortable and cosy yet rustic and basic style to keep the ark feeling authentic and traditional. There are 4 double bedrooms which means ample space for everyone including the beloved dogs and cats, plus two bathrooms. As move to the bottom floor we find the pets storage area and stables where there are cages for all the animals and everything your horses would need too

Team KCK Concepts
    KayBea - Architecture
    Cera13 - landscaping
    Kimwriter75 - interiors
    Link to lot - http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4891878#
    Slide - http://s1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/SimKim75/Ark Final/?albumview=slideshow

Landscaping rationale - I really wasn't sure how to go about landscaping for an ark. I tried to look at images online, and nothing was inspiring, lol! Everything was desolate, just dirt, I had really been hoping to find something lush. I realized what i need was to have a pre-flood and a flood. Pre-flood is lush and vibrant. Flood is just that, flooded, destroyed...all damaged.

Interiors rationale - In keeping the theme with the ark, I tried to keep decor such as wall art and clutter to a minimal. Instead, I added touches of color to the walls, especially in the lower most part of the ark which accommodates the animals. Cheery yellow walls represent sunlight and cloudy wallpaper to emulate the sky they will see again after forty days of not seeing it. The bedrooms are comfortable yet simple and meet the needs of Noah, his wife, three sons, and their wives. I divided the baths into a toilet room and a bathing room to maximize usage. Multiple sims are able to use the facilities at once. The uppermost deck hosts the living quarters and creates a togetherness aspect in it's layout. With ample room, each is still small enough to be cozy yet roomy enough not to feel tight. Numerous activities are provided to assure the family's stay on board will not be a dull experience.

Team Challenge #17
    Results

Wow! I asked for arks, and all the teams really brought it! Interestingly, there was something I loved about each build, and just as interesting is that there was something I disliked about each build! This somehow made it even more challenging to pick a winner, as it wasn’t just the one I liked or found the most suiting, but also which had the biggest dislikes or drawbacks. That being said, I really had no idea that I would get such wonderful creations. I was thinking, yeah, landscape will be tough, they will all look similar , etc, etc. But no! You proved me wrong! You were all very creative in your architecture, design, and landscaping. Even my first impressions of each lot were often proven wrong again and again! Even after using a point system, the four teams were so close it was ridiculous. So now, on to the results.

CreativeSparks:

My first impression was WOW! This is a perfect ark! It looks just like I think an ark should look. I love the architectural details, and the designs in the siding. There are plenty of windows where possible to let in the natural light. I think the railing is beautiful, with the mixture of solid panels and fencing.

The interiors looked very comfortable for the people and the animals. I think that the dogs and cats will enjoy sleeping with the family. I wish there were more activities for recreation and relaxation for the sims on board. I am sure they will be busy, though, taking care of the critters. The bathrooms are beautiful and spacious. I really like the “built in” garden tub, very creative use of MOO. The colors and patterns used throughout the living areas are very complementary and pleasing, and yet nothing is too extravagant, catering to Noah’s simple tastes. The smaller animals have very nice accommodations, with lots of glass to give an open feel.

The landscaping is great. I love the stairs leading to the water as if it is already rising. I really appreciate that the area looks so natural, and yet still beautiful. There seem to be accommodations for everyone here, except maybe the butterflies and beetles. I know everyone will make much use of the garden before they have to leave. The siding on the outbuilding really ties it in with the ark. I know the sims will appreciate the conveniences here as well.

SillyCatFamily:

The architecture here is just fabulous! I love that you made this a cargo ship! How different and creative! There is plenty of room for everything, and it looks just like a cargo ship. Excellent! I could almost see it sailing off into the sunset. :)

The cargo crates are fantastic! I think they are my favorite part of the build! Beautiful! They look so natural all stacked up in the landscaping. The barn is just the right size for the preboarding accommodations. You have included a place for all the animals before they have to load up, plus even some extra. And those fountains look fab. The surrounding water makes the ship look right at home. ;) Oh! And I almost missed the garden! You had it all tucked in the back there, I hardly noticed it! That will come in handy until it’s time to go. ;)

The accommodations for the animals are perfect! They fit into the build so seamlessly, and plenty of room for everyone! I didn’t see a designated place for the beetles and butterflies, although there is definitely room to include them somewhere, so I’m sure Noah will find a place for them. There were also only 7 beds, and 8 people in the family, so someone will be napping on the sofa! Otherwise, the interiors were very well done. They looked sparse and utilitarian, like you would expect on such a ship, and yet everything they need is there. There was plenty of room included for the kitchen and dining area, and lots of bathrooms for the long voyage. The family will also appreciate the entertainment area you have included to occupy them in their free time.

JaszySims

The overall architecture here was more of a house than a boat, maybe a houseboat? It does have an interesting design and roofline. I would have liked to see the build on higher ground, but the landscaper’s explanation provided an excellent alternative. The floor plan is ideal, with just the right accommodations.

The interiors are beautiful, very comfortable and well decorated. I think that Noah might have felt a little out of place with his simple tastes, but I’m sure he and his family would enjoy their surroundings. I love the layout and décor of the kitchen. There is plenty of room for all 8 of them to eat and sleep. I really appreciated that there were accommodations for all of the animals requested, and even more. I thought it was great that all the tanks were already stocked as well.

The landscaping is phenomenal. I love the bridges and stairs to access the different areas. Using the awnings to shade the terrariums is just perfect! I did notice, however that there is only one of each terrarium and cage outside the main building. I think the rationale is a very creative explanation of the layout. This should be a comfortable place to hang out while the family is waiting for the rain.

KCK Concepts

The pictures you made are so cute! With them all lined up 2 x 2, I love it! It makes it look so real. Very nice use of the landscaping as well, to give before and after pictures!

This is a very large boat, and leaves plenty of room for sims and animals alike. There is plenty of extra room for storage for the many supplies they will need. The barn doors give easy access to the ark, especially for the horses. I wish they had some windows. Although it will be rainy, it would be nice to get some natural light, no matter how gloomy. The deck is functional, and the high walls protect from the stormy seas.

The interiors in the animal rooms are so bright and cheerful, perfect for a long, rainy voyage. The greenery on the walls is also a nice touch. The horses are sure to have plenty of hay! There is more than adequate entertainment for the trip, I know the sims will appreciate that. I also like that you made the bathrooms large and accommodating for more than one sim at a time. The décor meets with the family’s approval as well.

I love the thought that went into the landscaping. It was such a creative idea to make a before and after scenario! The before looks so beautiful, and the after looks so devastated! The broken down carts, rubble piles, and fog are a nice touch. I know that the outdoors has plenty of butterflies and beetles and such, and I see that you included a butterfly and a bird spawner, but I was really looking for some type of holding area for them so they would be ready to board at a moment’s notice. In any case, they will have plenty of critters nearby to include when they are ready to go. :)

After deliberating, deciding, undeciding, playtesting, adding up points, creating tiebreakers, and more careful consideration, the winner of Team Challenge 17, Two of a Kind, is…

…one of the four teams who entered…

…and did a fantastic job along with everyone else…

…may I please present…

“Diluvium” by KCK Concepts!!
    Screenshot-781.jpgScreenshot-833.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Team Buiding Challenge #18 - Pack Your Bags and Wrap up Warm.

I am not a fan of the cold, so living in Connecticut is tough this time of year. How people manage in colder climates is beyond me. One thing that has always fascinated me is how many people enjoy, and even prefer the cold weather. Enjoying pastimes like ice fishing, skating, snow boarding, and even jumping into ice cold water (yikes). Even more amazing to me, is that every year in places like Sweden, and Canada, people carve out huge blocks of ice to build a hotel. These hotels are made entirely of ice, bedrooms and all, and people actually pay to stay in them for a vacation. (I would love to hear from anyone who has actually done this) I simply cannot imagine a hotel stay like this, just think of the amount of luggage you would need lol. I do however appreciate the massive task taken each year to build these amazing structures. They are truly beautiful works of art.

ice+hotel+canada.jpg

ice_hotel_02.jpg

ice_hotel_01.jpg

Your challenge is to create an Ice Hotel. You must make the hotel appear as though it is made entirely out of ice, allowing for all the usual hotel amenities. For this challenge I will be judging solely on pictures, so make sure your media presentation is as good as it can be. This of course means you may use cc, but do remember to agree as a team before you begin. I have seen some lovely patterns on the exchange that would work perfectly, or just get creative with what you have. You may build on any size lot, but I would recommend using a larger lot and building in the center, to reduce the grass edges showing in your pics (I know the architect phase will likely have grass, as they are purely building).

The specifics.
    Any size lot
    No budget
    At least 5 guest suites
    An outdoor spa
    Ice fishing
    Main reception
    Bar area
    At least 2 lounges

Make sure each phase produces a media presentation and a rationale.

Due Dates
    Phase 1 Dec 18th
    Phase 2 Dec 25th
    Phase 3 Jan 1st

I understand these dates run through the holidays, but I have kept the usual Sunday deadlines. I will not penalize any late entries as long as we can get the finals in by Jan 8th.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Team Buiding Challenge #18 entries and results.

Official Entry - Team Starbuckle
    Interiors by Kitkat: In looking at examples of actual ice hotels around the world, I noticed that they tended to use ice not only in the building of the walls, but also in the furniture and other accents. I incorporated this into the build, using different types of ice textures on the furniture and accents with cushions and bedding on top of the ice bases. Garbuckle's unique design of the guest suites provided for three slightly different suite layouts, each with a mirror suite on the opposite side of the hotel. Each suite has a main room, master bedroom, 2nd bedroom, and shared bath. I created three different suite designs with the idea that the corresponding room with the identical floorplan would also have an identical design. The large, octagonal lobby area provided plenty of room for decoration, with a check-in desk as you walk in, and a lobby bar on side opposite the grand staircases. The lounge areas on the top floor provide guests with more bar access, a dance floor, and a dining area. Curious tourists and locals alike enjoy this part of the ice hotel experience even if they are not lucky enough to rent one of the guest suites.

Photos - http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv225/Kitkat714...e Hotel/?albumview=slideshow

*No Name*
    Sherry-- Architecture
    Kim-- Interiors
    Jadedcat-- Landscaping

Lot Name/Size/Cost: -- Château de Glace -- 64x64 -- $317,239
    Lot Address: Takes the place of the Stadium in Snowy Sunset Valley
    Details/rationale: see link below for team rationales

Link to lot: At 50 mb there was no way this was loading to the exchange
    http://www.4shared.com/file/gbiWuev1/Chateau_de_Glace.html

Link to media: This is the landscape media not the final media link.http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i183/jadeddemonr...ndscaping/?albumview=slideshow

Final media presentation and slideshow as well as the rationales of all team members can be found here: http://teamchallenge18.blogspot.com/2011/12/chateau-de-glace-sh
    owcase.html
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Team Building Challenge #19 - Barn Conversion by Kitkat

Barns can be beautiful architectural spaces with their stone walls, wide-open interiors, and exposed rafters. They're so beautiful that converting old barns to livable houses has become a big business. That's your task this week - create a barn and convert it into a home. Here's some information about Barn Conversions to get you started:

barnconversion-1.jpg

East Coast Barn Builders

Whidbey Island Barn Conversion

Historical American Barn Types

Your final product should be recognizable as a barn but must also have all the amenities of a home. It's up to you whether you want to keep to a rustic design scheme for the interiors or make a complete conversion to embrace a modern design flair. The landscaping can be designed to reflect the rural farm roots of the structure, or you can totally convert the surrounding land to your liking as well.

The specifics.
    Any size lot, 40x40 or larger
    Budget - $350,000
    At least 3 bedrooms (master suite, guest room, and child's/children's room)
    Loft space
    At least 2 bathrooms
    Office

Make sure each phase produces a media presentation and a rationale.

Due Dates
    Phase 1 Jan 1/29
    Phase 2 Feb 2/5
    Phase 3 Feb 2/12

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Challenge #19 Entries and Results

Team Name: TSSRulez

Darkside: Architecture
    Jasnik: Interiors
    Hazentw: landscaping

Architecture
    Details/rationale: When building this home I was thinking this was an old barn on some land that was split up after the death of a relative and the owners found this old barn on their piece of land. They fell in love with its rustic charm and wanted it turned into a house.
    The barn itself, once used to house sheep and pigs, needed much work done on the inside. We left the outside wood intact and made a chimney for the fire place out of old bricks we had used from a crumbling outbuilding. On the inside of the structure we left the original support beams where we could. to help add to the rustic feel. All in all the finished home has 3 bedrooms plus a nursery, 5 bathrooms, loft area, living area, open kitchen and dining, office, laundry, and an attached garage. The home is simple yet full of character. *Note* Lights were added only to show rooms in pictures.
    Link to lot: http://www.box.com/s/3q9l09gubb7es2sdksbl
    Link to media: http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=QzsZVILTtvpjQONhqU1VUA==

Interiors
    LOT http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5132729
    PICS http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee484/JasnikSims/Jasniks TBC/TSSRulez Barn Conversion/

RATIONALE
    Our barn is a wonderful merge of rustic country charm with a splash of modern open plan living. I used these elements, as well as the beautiful natural surroundings, and an idea of what the barn may have been like in the past, to design the interiors. I wanted to keep the inside light and cheerful, but still using lots of wood to keep things cozy. Some lovingly restored, and carefully placed items from the old barn remind us of its history, and give it character. I decided on blinds rather than heavy curtains, to make the most of the spectacular views, and to keep the slightly modern feel to the home. Aside from the wood, I also used other natural materials, like the stone in the bathrooms, and used plants to bring some of the outdoors in.

Phase 3
    Link to lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5170683#
    Link to media: http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd449/hazentw/TBC/?albumview=slideshow

Team No Name
    Sherry 1968 - Architecture
    Kimwriter - Interiors
    Jadedcat - Landscaping

Architecture
    Our team wanted a traditional looking barn with a gambrel roof, and we found two inspiration pictures that looked like what we wanted. A barn with dormers! After deciding as a team that barn red was too overdone, I chose blue. We had to leave room for the horses, so we kept two box stalls and a hayloft in the barn, seperate from the living areas. I have always wanted to create arched or vaulted ceiling beams in the game, so I developed a plan and set out to conquer the extensive CFE. It took a long time and some cursing at the random game glitches,but I am proud of our little barn/house.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?q615m7ra0wvy1at
    Media link: http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum Posts/Team Challenge/Team Challenge 19/Team Challenge 19 Architecture/?albumview=slideshow

Phase 2 - Interiors
    Lot - http://www.mediafire.com/?i6nqf8rz88hwrh0
    Slide - http://s1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/SimKim75/TB 19 Interiors/?albumview=slideshow

Rationale -
    In a tragic event, Sherry, Jaded and Kim were forced to leave their beautiful home, with their animals, and seek shelter in the surviving barn. Before they could do this, some revisions had to be made. Sherry saw to it that there would be ample space for everyone. Each has a bedroom and the common spaces are large enough to move around freely. The horses, who were used to having the entire barn to themselves, even were able to compromise with their quarters.
    Our team decided the interiors would be a combination of rustic with modern/contemporary conveniences. The entire surroundings is kept natural with wood and rock floors and walls. After all, they are needed to provide structure to the barn itself. The modern/contemporary comes into play within the furnishings and decor with slight touches of rustic. New is a way to describe most of the furnishings, however; found objects are used in light fixtures and decor as well to keep the rustic theme.
    Upstairs are the bedrooms and hayloft. Sherry, Jaded and I needed this space to live. In order to keep within the challenge rules, my particular room could double as a child's room with it's whimsy and playful decor. There are toys about and any child, no matter the age, would have tons of fun within the room. Jaded's room could serve as a guest room albeit the decor is slightly catered to her style. It is a unique style, however, and most guests would feel quite comfortable within it. Lastly, we have Sherry's master bedroom with attached bath. Seeing as she is our fearless leader, she was able to obtain the largest room and is decorated to her standard. Again, it is her style yet could be adored by many.

Phase 3 - Landscaping
    Download:http://www.4shared.com/file/IS5WHzKh/SKJ_No_Name_Barn__Finished
    .html
    Slideshow: http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i183/jadeddemonrose/Team Barn/?albumview=slideshow

We wanted the landscape to be reminiscent of country farms. I choose the flowers based on what we grew on the farm growing up. I added ducks and swans to the pond and a lamb eating flowers because we love animals. A trellis with clematis provides a privacy screen for the spa terrace just above the pool and sunning terrace. Plots are provided for gardening along with a pond for fishing. The back patio has a rough log canopy in keeping with the rustic country feel, and serves as an outdoor kitchen , bar and dining area for entertaining. At the front of the house porch swings are available for chatting with neighbors or sipping tea.

Old Crusty:
    Architecture: Pallypoo
    Interiors: Mousiemail
    Landscaping: GLEichholz

Phase One by Pallypoo: http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww209/bessiwow/...Challenge/?albumview=slideshow

Phase 2:
    The correct download can be found at: http://www.mediafire.com/?ivekbskzvictx5g
    Slideshow: http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/z415/FishingForFaith/Old Crusty Decoration/?albumview=slideshow

Rationale:
    Keeping with retaining the old barn character, I tried to incorporate both a mild country and mid-century decor. I went this route because I figured the owners loved the old barn feel so much, they would want to keep that feel rather than update the space to a super modern decor. I tried to make sure every piece I added could be found in a home from before about 1960. The only exception that I made to this was the master bath, and the kitchen appliances. I thought that even in a "Retro Modern Country Converted Barn" you would want a nice Master Bathroom and modern kitchen appliances!

I tried to keep most of the colors earth tones/nature. I went with a more whimsical jungle theme in the nursery, although I would guess that "jungle" also qualifies as "nature". I also added a splash of read in the living room to make it stand out as a focal point. I added brighter colors to the cat play area in the basement and the wall fish tank as entertainment for the cats. I decided to add the cat element since I have never been to a barn that doesn't have many cats to keep out the small wild animals! Cats and Barns just seem to naturally go together.

Overall, I tried to keep the majority of the decor appropriate for a converted barn, but also classic and timeless.

Phase 3
    Slideshow: http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/jorghahaq/Old Crusty/?albumview=slideshow
    Download: http://www.simsweeklyworldnews.info/downloads/OldCrusty.rar

A barn converted into a house is the sort of place that a family would live, probably one with at least two or three kids because larger families need more space so the yard has everything that a family would need from swings to a pool.
    Now, here's the thing, growing up where I did as a kid, 99% of yards were converted farmland. Some people lived in converted barns while others had brand new houses built and the barns were used for garages, storage, barns or just left empty. A lot of people had yards like this, with gardens, swing sets and pools decked out for parties, so that is what I did. The open "box" is for the trash can and recycle bin where no one has to clean up after the pesky raccoons. That gets old after a while.
    The house has a small pond, because again, this is how the houses were where I grew up. Most people had a pond that helped supply the house with water. That's right, we didn't have water coming into the house supplied from cities, we had to depend on wells, cistern and "holding" ponds to supply us with water.
    The two giant space rocks in the front yard (along with the smaller ones making up the fountain) were dug up using the miner. I remember when the basement was being dug for our house a giant boulder was pulled out of the hole and was placed in the middle of the front yard and a flower garden was planted around it.

1. TSS Rulez
    I like the multi-story look to the barn. It really looks like a barn that has undergone a modern conversion. Nice split-level staircase. Like the attached garage bay. Cool overlook on the upper floor. Interiors are lovely and tranquil. Like the use of wood and stone. Cool rustic touches like the doors and wagonwheel lighting on the ceiling. Love the window choices. Cute yellow bathroom. Staircase and landings are stunning viewed from above. Love the walk-in closet. Master en suite is gorgeous. Cute loft rec room. Love the horse barn and jumping ring. Cute tree house. Lovely veg garden area. Great fencing choices. Grotto hot tub! Fantastic porch area with BBQ and bar.

2. Team No Name
    Love the gambrel roof and dormers. Like the different direction you went with the exterior color. WOW - vaulted beams are a nice touch! Would love to know how you pulled that off... Nice use of stone on the interior. Like the bold color choices. Interesting mix of rustic materials with more contemporary furniture. Cool kitchen cupboards. Cute working barn area. Gothic bedroom - very daring! Adorable kids room. Gorgeous flower beds out front. Love the tree choices - contrast nicely with the blue exterior. Covered outdoor patio is fantastic. More beautiful flower beds in the back. Love the pond and terraced areas in the back. Cool diving board!

3. Old Crusty
    Lovely build - the gambrel roof and multiple dormers are nicely done. Love the exterior siding choices. Nice porches/patios as well. Cute fishtank and pet area. Like the use of brick 1/2 walls with wooden accents on top. Nursery is adorable. Love the bathroom with double vanities. Like decor in the garage area. Nice idea to include a frig here. Love the cupboards joined by a shelf in the middle - very clever. Nice, spacious kitchen. Love the exposed beams in the living area. Nicely appointed bedrooms. Love the pond and driveway. Cute rock garden with fountain out front. Love the cottage-style flowerbed with seating. Nice pool and play area for the kids. Great outdoor living spaces.

Tough choices, but the winner is...

teamnonamebarn.jpg

Team NoName!!! Great work, Sherry, Kim, & Jaded :)

• Options
    edited February 2012

Team Challenge # 20

How Does Your Garden Grow?

For as long as she can remember, Alstroemeria Gardner has wanted to grow the perfect garden. She developed a green thumb under the watchful eye of her parents, helping them with their vegetable patch. For the best fertilizers, she realized she would have to be an angler as well. She spent her time planting and watering, fishing and swimming. Sometimes the farm equipment would break, and Alstroemeria became very handy at fixing it. When she had time to relax, she loved to play with the animals, catching turtles and snakes, and letting them go near the pond. Sometimes she would befriend a stray cat or dog, and take it in to live on the farm. On first appearance, Alstroemeria is shy and softspoken, but she is actually very confident. She lives life to the fullest, and never turns down a dare!

Screenshot-1293-1-1.jpg

Now that Alstroemeria has grown up, her thoughts have turned to the future, and what she will do with her life. Her parents have given her a small loan of $16,500 simoleons to get started. How will she ever find a nice house for that price? Deciding to prioritize her wants and needs, she makes a list of everything the house should have.

2 bedrooms, one an office for now
    Lot no bigger than 20 x 30
    Room for a garden
    Lots of plants and flowers
    If there is any money left, she would love to have plenty of windows and a fence for her garden.

She calls your office early the next morning, hoping that you can help her to build a house with everything she wants and needs for the right price. Getting ready to leave on some errands, you pick up the phone on the first ring. “Good morning, how may I help you?”

Screenshot-1277-1.jpg

“Oh! Hi, my name is Alstroemeria Gardner, and I’m looking for someone to help me build a new house on a budget,” Alstroemeria explains.

“Well, then you’ve come to the right place,” you answer. “Why don’t you come over this afternoon and we can discuss the details.”

“Sure thing!” she responds eagerly. “What time should I be there?”

“I should be back from my errands around 2:45, so can you be here at 3:00 pm?” you ask.

“No problem,” she says. “I’ll see you then!”

That afternoon, you open the door to a young girl who looks hardly older than a teenager. She is wearing cutoff shorts and flip-flops, and smiles warily as you invite her inside.

Screenshot-1271-1.jpg

“Hi, I’m Alstromeria,” she greets you.

“Hi, it’s so nice to meet you! Come sit at the table, and tell me how we can help you.”

“Well, this should explain almost everything,” Alstromeria says as she hands you her list.

“Wow, this is perfect,” you tell her. “Thanks, we should be able to do this, no problem! Can you think of anything else you’d like to add? Favorite colors, house style?”

Screenshot-1274-1.jpg

“Well, I think I would be happy with just about any style of house. We always had a traditional style farmhouse growing up, but I’m open to trying new things. My favorite color is lilac, and I love plants and flowers! I think a small lot would be best since I don’t have a lot to spend. As I said on the list, I also like lots of windows to let the light in, but I understand if that’s not possible on a budget. It also might be a good idea to have a fenced area for a garden so the wildlife won’t get in, if I can afford it,” she adds.

“Okay then, we will get started on this right away!” you assure her.

You walk Alstroemeria to the door and then review her list as ideas for decorating on a budget float through your head.

Screenshot-1276-1.jpg

Project Brief:
    Budget $16,500
    Two bedrooms
    At least one double bed
    Second bedroom will be an office for now, in the future it may be a nursery/kid’s room
    Lot no bigger than 20 x 30
    Room for a garden
    Loves plants and flowers
    Fenced garden and lots of windows if possible
    Favorite color is lilac

Be sure each phase has a media presentation and rationale.

Due Dates
    Phase 1 Sun, Feb 26
    Phase 2 Sun, Mar 4
    Phase 3 Sun, Mar 11

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Team Challenge #20 -- How Does Your Garden Grow?
    Entries and Results

Challenge #20 Entries

Team GSK
    Architecture - Garbuckle3000 - LOT/SLIDESHOW
    Interiors - Scoiattolo - LOT/SLIDESHOW
    Landscaping - Kquinn - LOT/SLIDESHOW

Mod Squad
    Architecture - Ricslady - LOT/SLIDESHOW
    Landscaping - Jasnik - LOT/SLIDESHOW
    Interiors - Kimwriter - LOT/SLIDESHOW
    FINAL SLIDESHOW

Team Crazy
    Architecture - Mousiemail/PuSticks - LOT/SLIDESHOW
    Interiors - GLEichholz - LOT/SLIDESHOW
    Landscaping - Pallypoo - LOT/SLIDESHOW

Creative Sparks
    Architecture - Flobobunny - LOT/SLIDESHOW
    Landscaping - Katesterling - LOT/SLIDESHOW
    Interiors - KateKnight - LOT/SLIDESHOW

How Does Your Garden Grow

Challenge #20 Results

Team GKS:

I just looked at this build and said, “Wow! That’s a starter?” It’s really beautiful! I love the natural toned wood siding mixed with the stone, it complements the dark green roof nicely. The rooms are spacious for a small home, and there are plenty of windows to let in the natural light. The wall of windows in the back is fantastic! The open floor plan also leaves room for expansion when needed. There is even a carport and outdoor storage!

The interiors were well laid out with all the necessary items for Alstroemeria. The wallpaper pattern in the kitchen was a little busy for my taste and I thought it clashed a little with the countertops as well. The colors were pretty, and I actually like the pattern on the stools, it was just a little overpowering for the wall. Perhaps a tile or texture would work there? The flowers inside were a nice touch, bringing the outside in. The bathroom had some nice neutral colors, I think I might prefer a solid color or texture on the window blinds. I love that the office looked like it is used for storage as well. Great job on the budget decorating! You really used the textures and patterns to your advantage.

The landscaping was great for Alstroemeria’s tastes. The fenced in garden is a perfect size, and the pond is beautiful. It was a nice touch to add some fish there for her to fertilize her plants with. The evergreens go well with the cabiny feel of the build, and the pink and white flowers bring some color to the yard. The stone walkways blend well with the rest of the landscape.

Team Crazy

I actually have a version of this home in my library that I built quite a while ago, lol. I love your take on the design, that you lifted it to use the space underneath. Alstroemeria will love that, she will have more room for gardens and flowers. There are definitely plenty of windows, which is a huge plus. The floor plan is open, and just enough room for a sim starting out on her own.

The interiors are a perfect shade of lilac, and the sim photography on the walls adds to the décor. The patterns are complementary, and add a classic appeal to the build. The plants bring more of the green indoors so that our sim will be surrounded by the outdoors, even when she’s inside.

I love that she has her own pool, great for enjoying the outdoors. The fact that it’s sheltered means she can use it even in the rain (well, we can pretend anyway). ;) I thought that it appeared slightly dim or dingy, just because of the colors, but I understand you were taking advantage of the free terrain paint. Perhaps a different finish on the fence or some more potted plants would help. The garden is lovely, and the hydrangeas add some color to the landscape. I know Alstroemeria will enjoy the shaded bench when she is relaxing outside. There is even room to add a pond later, so you made a great use of space.

Creative Sparks

How adorable! I love that you made this a gazebo shape with the CFE layer on top. The windows all around are perfect for Alstroemeria to view her yard and garden throughout the home. The siding colors will be very appealing in her favorite shade and complementary tones. My only concern is if she starts a family the house will be a little small for them. It is a decent size for a starter, though.

The interiors are so beautiful with well matched colors and patterns. I love that all the rooms’ colors blend with the flowers outdoors. Alstroemeria appreciates the plants in each room, and the wall art which helps to bring the outdoors in. The upgraded appliances are a real plus. The CASing was very clever with the tile and carpet patterns. You even added curtains in every room which is difficult for a starter.

The landscaping is very lush and beautiful. The winding garden pathway is visually appealing, and the stepping stones are so creative. The arbor at the front of the lot is so welcoming and draws you into the landscape. The plants and flowers complement the shape and colors of the home. Great idea to add the self watering sprinklers. Lots of bang for such a little budget!

The Mod Squad

The architecture here was unique and creative. The one drawback was there were not quite as many windows as some of the other builds. The windows used, though, were very large and well placed. The columns were a very creative use of chimney parts. My very favorite thing is that this build is so expandable! There is already room for a full basement and attic with just the placement of stairs.

The interiors here were very will laid out. There is a little bit of everything for Alstroemeria, quite a good variety for a starter. I felt that some of the patterns were clashing for me, I would have liked to see some textures or more simple patterns for contrast. Otherwise, the green and purple worked well together, as did the wood tone and whitewashed wood colors. Alstroemeria will appreciate the plants throughout this home also.

The landscaping was perfect for our gardening sim. She has a fenced garden, and a stocked pond to fulfill her passions. The flowers add vibrant color to the yard. The garden statues and ornaments create visual interest and the butterflies are a nice touch. Lots of beauty and color and a full garden on a starter budget.

And the winner is...
    Wow, you guys have really made this difficult for me. Once again I find myself going to the nitpicky things to try to decide on a winner. Each one of these homes is appealing in its own way, and Alstroemeria would be quite happy in any of them. That said, I looked to Alstroemeria to help me decide. She did feel more comfortable with plenty of plants and flowers, and one home stood out in the lush landscaping. Although she was a bit concerned about the size if she were to add any family members, she quickly reasoned that in time she would be able to expand or find a larger home. Although she loved each lot in its own way, she finally decided on the Gazebo Starter, by Creative Sparks. Congratulations Creative Sparks!

Screenshot-1631.jpg

Special thanks to my daughter, Runningdawn for her assistance in judging this challenge!

• Options
    edited April 2012

Team Challenge # 21

A brand new firestation

It's another day in the office. You sit behind your desk enjoying your morning coffee when your secretary calls you. "Your 9 o'clock client is here." You tell her to let her in, and through your door walks a guy, 6'2, a dirty face, heavy boots and a helmet in his hand. You immediately recognize him as the city's fire marshal.

"What can I do for you today?" you ask him while showing him to his seat. "Well, I reckon you have seen the state of the fire station", he asks. You nod as you recall images of an old brick building, worn, chipped bricks, and with a roof you just know must be leaking whenever there might be a slight drizzle outside. "So, you probably already know that it is in a poor state. The city has granted us enough money to build a new fire station, and I was told that your team was the one to go to."

You tell him that this would probably be a lot different than what you have handled before, but you are intrigued. "Tell me more about what you have in mind." "The most important is, of course, enough parking space for the fire engines. We have one at the moment, but we would like to have enough space for one more, as the city grows, so will our workload do, unfortunately, so if you can make room for two, that would be great. The parking space will need to be indoors, or at least have a roof above it, and must be as tall as two normal stories. Other than that, the station needs to accommodate the crew while they're at duty. A kitchen or kitchenette, a place to eat for eight of my men. A place to sleep. Some place to relax in between the hard work. You would be their hero if you included some games!” he tells you with a smile. “Furthermore, we need locker rooms with showers, one for the men and one for the women. And toilets of course, but you probably figured that out. I need an office there, and the crew should also have access to computers.” The fire marshal goes silent for a moment, clearly thinking. “If you’re able to, it would be nice if you could include a back yard of sorts as well. Fenced in, of course, we don’t want that open to the public. It would be nice to be able to eat our lunch outside when the weather is good. It doesn’t have to be that big, but the crew spend a lot of their time at the station, it would be nice for them to be able to spend some time outside. And, oh yeah, if you could make it look appealing from the front too, that would be nice. Not too flowery though.” You stifle a laugh, somehow you can’t imagine firefighters hiding behind a rose garden. “The style of the build is completely up to you”, he continues. “ANYTHING will be better than what we have right now!”

“I think I have an idea or two forming”, you say, “but one more thing... Do you have a budget for this?” “Oh, yes, I almost forgot that part... Kinda important, don’t you think?” The fire marshal laughs. “The city has granted us §150 000 for a new fire station, do you think you will be able to work with that?”

“Oh, I don’t think we can.... I KNOW we can!”

Notes:
    If you don’t have the Ambitions EP, no problem, just make sure to leave enough open room for the fire engines. The large parking space is 12x4 squares.

This challenge will be judged mainly by pictures, therefore, CC will be allowed. However, please state in your entry form if you choose to use CC in your entry.

Project summary:
    Budget: § 150 000

- indoor parking space for the fire engine(s) (or at least a roof)
    - a simple kitchen
    - dining area for 8
    - Sleep quarters for 8
    - recreation space
    - locker rooms with showers - separate for men and women
    - restrooms
    - firechief's office

would also like
    - a small back yard with lunch tables
    - some curb appeal
    - computer access for the crew

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Team Challenge 21 Entries

1. Team members & roles:
    Jorgha -Architecture
    Pally- Interiors
    Pu- Landscaping.

Lot Name/Size/Cost: Team Crazy Fire Station, 30x20 lot, Cost 87,026.

Lot Address: No specific one.

Details/rationale: I'll try and get the others.

Interiors-(Pally) I went for a traditional type feel. Classic colors, greens,reds,blues, off set by a creamy white. I decorated with some sim art I made taking pics of some patterns I made of firemen. I gave the chief a place in the main office to keep all the awards his team has won. I tried to keep the floor free for the most part from rugs so they wouldn't slip when racing to the fire engines. I gave them 3 small recycling bins for, cans, bottles,and plastic.

Link to lot: http://www.box.com/s/414431a21eb544a2397d

Link to media:
    Architecture- http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/jorghahaq/Team Build Firehouse/?albumview=slideshow

Interiors- http://s720.photobucket.com/albums/ww209/bessiwow/Team build Challenge/?action=view&current=8051da34.pbw

Landscaping- http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/z415/FishingForFaith/TB Fire Station/?albumview=slideshow

2. The Mod Squad
    Team members & roles:
    Cera13 - architecture
    kimwriter75 - interiors
    Imslbulfrog - landscaping
    Lot Name/Size/Cost:Firehouse 73/30x30/109,540
    Lot Address:99 Landgraab Ave

Details/rationale:
    Architecture -
    From the sounds of the building in the challenge description, I took the current firehouse to be in an older part of town. I wanted a building that would not be out of place in an older section of town. Doing a search for classic brick firehouses I found a fabulous inspiration, that had all the features I was looking for. This firehouse was inspired by the firehouse at Disneyland (California).

Interiors -
    The firefighters took a vote and decided they wanted a more recreational firehouse rather than one devoted to their solid physiques. When they need to exercise, they do have two tv's and an exercise chart. The first floor houses the two fire trucks and tools are accessible for easy maintenance. The office is located on the lower level and has plenty of seating for meetings, a computer, and lots of instructional books as well as light reading. The second level is the recreational level with shuffleboard, pool table, and lots of domino availability. Their are bells everywhere around to signal the firefighters into action. The third level is the living space that houses a kitchenette, tables, tv and book area, and sleeping quarters as well as shower/locker rooms. The interiors are kept basic to compliment the architecture. Sturdy brick lines the exteriors and tile adorn the restrooms. The bedding is cozy and conduces sleep rather than evoke activity. All in all, the firehouse interiors are ideal for the brave men and women on the squad.

Landscaping -
    There were several factors I took into consideration upon landscaping the firehouse. My main theme was the ease of care for the city itself. This lead to an easy to care for hard-scape area as well as the wide use of naturalized shrubs that need pruned only once a year. There are not hedges to keep tidy and very little grass to mow. I also took great care to try and enhance the wonderful architecture I had been given to work with both in lighting and choice of trees used across the front as well as choices in fencing and hard-scape. As for the Firepersons' areas themselves, again a no fuss no muss approach was taken in adding in their leisure areas.

Link to lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5603882#

Link to media: http://s1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/SimKim75/Firehouse Final/?albumview=slideshow

3. Team Name: ShNikKaDoodles
    Members:
    Architecture: Sherry1968
    Interiors: Jasnik82
    Landscaping: Kitkat

Architecture
    Media: http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissino/Forum%20Posts/Team%20Challenge/Team%20Challenge%2021/Team%20Challenge%2021%20Architecture/?albumview=slideshowSlideshow
    Lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5466339#

Rationale: I wanted to provide a more modern look for the traditional fire station with plenty of room to expand, so I was inspired by the Tuscaloosa Fire Station 1. The sliding glass doors in the engine bay proudly display the fire engines in their best light. The arches over the windows and arched rooftop decor add a twist to the basic structure. The third story skylight lets natural light shine through all three floors. There is also plenty of room to accommodate 8 firefighters plus their chief.

Interiors
    Lot - http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/Jasnik82/mystudio
    Album - http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee484/JasnikSims/Jasniks TBC/Fire Station/TBC Fire Station/
    Extra pics for fun - http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee484/JasnikSims/Jasniks TBC/Fire Station/

Rationale
    Following on with the modern theme, I kept the interiors bright and airy with touches of the classic red we all associate a fire department with. I also kept the rooms simple, as there really are no luxuries in a fire station, the bare necessities and a little entertainment to pass the quiet times. There are plenty of lockers and uniforms in convenient locations for when the bell rings and they need to hurry. The fire station has been receiving lots of visits from local schools, so I decided to provide a small area for them to gather and leave their belongings while taking a tour. The conference room provides a good space to discuss efficiency on the job, train new employees, and organize building safety inspections.

Landscaping
    Lot -
    Media -
    http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv225/Kitkat7145/Firehouse Team Project/

Landscaping Rationale: The firefighters requested picnic space and some curb appeal, and we supplied that in spades. The new entrance to the firehouse has been spruced up with some flowering shrubs (nothing too fancy) and fountains. Tall trees line the sides of the lot, shading the firehouse somewhat and helping with heating and cooling costs. The back area features a grill and picnic tables and some vending machines. The firehouse dalmatian, Spot, has a doghouse that mimics the look of the firehouse and a bed for lounging in when not on the job. Finally, with the extra space in the back a chess table and basketball courts were added for when the firemen have some down time.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Team Challenge 21 Results

Fire Station Challenge Results

The Mod Squad

Architecture: There is no problem telling that this is a fire station! I love the use of the barn doors for the garages. Great using the fence on the roof, it really highlights the build and its style! The big windows in the front lets in a lot of light! The only thing I miss is a few windows for the recreation area, although it gets light from the big windows in the front, a few in the back would work as well. I like that you included a balcony!

Interiors: The garage is really great, lots of space for the fire engines. Office looks great! Love the fish bowl! The recreation area is really informal and seems like a good place to relax in between the alarms, with plenty of opportunities to keep the firemen busy! The kitchen and dining area continues through in the same tone as the rec area. I was surprised to find the cherry rugs, a really cool and unexpected touch! The subtle use of MOO makes a great dining table! I do hope there is juice only in that bar though, we are talking about operating heavy machinery!

The sleep area works really well, and it even fits more firemen than you were asked for! The locker rooms/showers are spot on, and seems surprisingly clean!

The colour palette is really masculine, with the brick, the black fabric, but it really works for this build! The only thing “missing” is a place for the firefighters to use a computer without having to break into the chief’s office.

Landscaping: I really think it is great that you have thought about how much maintenance this would require when you went through with this! The strong lines in the front really enhances the build! And the fountain with the hydrant - pure awesomeness! I like how you used the same fence for the outside lunch area as the architecture used on the build, it really ties the whole build together. The picnic table in the shade from that tree - sure the firemen would love to eat there! Nice to see you included an outdoor kitchen as well! And wow - a pool! Good balance between green shrubbery and flower bushes, the colours work great with the brick. The balcony with the golf is really well put together, great!

Additional comments: You girls rock your uniforms! Kudos for adding both giggles and drooling with your photos!

ShNikKaDoodles

Architecture:
    It is so true to your inspiration! I love what you did with the roof! Not sure if the top part, above the columns lack wall treatment or it just looks that way, lol, but I see the inspiration has the same thing going on. Lots of natural light, good layout.

Interiors:
    Great work on the engine bay, they should be able to keep those fire trucks running! Love the hero wall! Love the custom photography throughout the entire place. How nice of you to give the chief his separate sleeping quarters!! Including a laundry area was probably a wise decision, so that they don’t have to clean their sooty clothes at home! The conference room is awesome. Kitchen/dining works well, love that you included more seating than asked for too! Great job on the bathrooms, great that you also included a workout area. The sleeping quarters work very well! I’m looking forward to seeing some firemen getting creative with the easels, they should have enough entertainment here to stay happy at work!

Landscaping:
    The landscaping really highlights the build! Love the fountains combined with the hedge planter boxes in front. Great outdoor eating area! Even a space for the fire dog, so sweet! The exercise area outside - clever touch, and it looks great. Same with the arch over the chess table. Love the basketball court! So many great details in there altogether!

Additional comments:
    Your additional firemen pics made me laugh so hard, I love them! Such smexy firemen! Perhaps a calendar? :P

Team Crazy

Architecture:
    Very functional and practical layout, lots of windows giving a good natural light. The only drawback I can see, is that the engine bay isn’t open all the way, half of the fire engines are covered by the story above. It definitely looks like a fire station though!

Interiors:
    Love that you carried the brick inside as well, giving it a unified look. The engine bay looks great! I love the walls in the hall, with the wood bottom part and the brick top part! Office looks simple, but works well with the theme, very functional. Nice, functional bathrooms - who is hiding in that stall?? LOVE the computer area, such a nice touch with the separators there for some privacy. TV area looks really inviting, almost home-like. The kitchen is great! Good work out area as well. The upstairs locker rooms are great, although not that much privacy with the toilets!. Sleeping areas works well! The only thing I really don’t like is that the fire station has a different roof in your pictures, but now I am nitpicking.

Landscaping:
    Very functional landscaping in the front, which works well with the build. Love the doggie tribute area. The picnic area out back works well, you even included a death flower plant! That would sure keep the firemen happy!

Additional comments:
    You carried the theme throughout, and if I didn’t know otherwise, I would think that one person were behind it all! But, you never got all your rationales in, and I had to deduct points for that.

You guys sure gave me a tough time on this, and making a decision was really hard! But in the end, it can only be one winner...

Screenshot-1816.jpg"width=640"

Congratulations, ShNikKaDoodles! What eventually made the cut for me was the effort you had put into the outside, along with the architecture and the unified feel to it all, combined with lots of entertainment for the firemen. You brought more to the table than asked for. Well done!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Team Challenge 22 - Hosted by Jasnik21

Tudor Village

black.jpg

This challenge is going to be a little different, and will provide a challenge on multiple levels and hopefully draw out all that creativity. We are going back in time, to the Tudors. And before you get all excited, its not going to be pretty gowns, masquerade balls, and gentlemen. Most everyday folk didn't have those kind of luxuries, and had a really tough working life, even from early childhood. Families lived in small villages and all supported each other. They would live off the land, and rarely traveled far, since they had all they needed in and around the village. Their homes would be simple inside with minimal furniture and everything being functional. They would have grown their own fruits and vegetables, and hunted for meat. The village square would be a place for trade, entertainment, and even discipline.

Your challenge is to create a working Tudor village, built on Summer Hill Court, SV. (see pic below) You must include the following:-

Village square - containing a market area, some appropriate entertainment for children and adults, simple bathrooms, a place to fish, and anything else you see fit.

Tavern on a 20x20 - please include 2 guest rooms for travellers passing through.

Place for worship/marriage on a 20x20 (If time is limited, you may include a place to marry in the village square)

Schoolhouse on a 20x20

At least 3 homes of your choosing (you may provide more) on lots no greater than 20x20 and in any position.

I know this all sounds a lot, but do remember the interiors will be very simple, not much need for lots of CASing. Also the landscaping will be functional, they did not have money to spend on lots of flowers and such, keep it simple. For the architect, I do not expect every building to be completely unique from the others ;-)

Before you begin I suggest a little research, as I will be judging on quality and authenticity, rather than quantity.

There are a number of websites out there, but I found these pretty good.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/homework/houses/tudor.htm
    http://www.the-tudors.org.uk/index.htm

Lastly, I realize there are limits to how far back in history we can take the game. I will allow the use of ovens, and bathrooms for example, to keep sims happy. The best part of all....................NO BUDGET!

Screenshot-85-1-1.jpg

Due dates:

Since this challenge has multiple lots, I will have check in dates instead of phases, since you will probably be working on things differently. For example the landscaper can get started on the village square, while the architect is working on other lots etc. Teams should communicate for the most effective completion.

1st check in Sun 30th April
    2nd check in Sun 7th May
    Final due by Sun 14th May

Given the scale of this challenge I will be prepared to allow an extra week for completion, but please keep me updated on your teams situation.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Team Challenge 22 Entries - Hosted by Jasnik21
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Team Challenge 22 Results - Hosted by Jasnik21
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Please do not post any comments on this thread.

If you would like to make any comments, please do so in our Official Thread - http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/433086.page, as we need this thread chat-free so that it can serve as an archive only

If you want to compete in the current challenge, please visit the Official Thread at: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/433086.page

Thank you,

Kitkat :D