Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 Team Building Challenge - Archive of Entries and Results

Please do not post any comments on this thread.

If you would like to make any comments, please do so in our Official Thread - http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/227188.page , as we need this thread chat-free so that it can serve as an archive only

If you want to compete in the current challenge, please visit the Official Thread at: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/227188.page

Thank you,

Kitkat :)

Team Building Challenge Rules & Timeline

Rules
~ The architect is responsible for all walls, windows, interior and exterior doors, and exterior siding. They can also terraform the lot as needed for building only.
~The interior designer is responsible for all interior flooring, wall covering, furnishings, appliances, and plumbing.
~The landscaper is responsible for all exterior furnishings (porches, patios, pools, etc.)and any flowers, trees,bushes, terrain paint, etc.
~You cannot change what another team member has done.
~You must submit your final lot to TS3 or a hosting site for me to download if needed.
~You must submit a slide show of your lot. Be sure to take pictures of all angles so I can see all the architectural, design, and landscaping details.
~Your lot will be primarily (99%) judged on the media (slide show) you submit. I will install your lot and look around if I have any playability or other concerns.
~Be creative and have fun :)

Timeline:
~ You will have 3 weeks this time.
~ Each team member has one week to complete their portion, they may go in any order. If you finish before your week is up, feel free to pass it along early. Just be sure your portion is complete no later than Sunday at 12 midnight.
~ Please include a link to pictures/media of your portion of the project with your upload link. I know pictures sound silly for architecture, but it does make it easier to see the build without the décor and landscape.
~ The final slide show can be from just the final team member, or a compilation of the entire project. It is possible and acceptable for one person to turn in all of the pictures if you prefer, just be sure to include pictures of each stage and note this when you submit each stage of the build. I believe it will help with judging to see each portion.

Comments

• KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited September 2010
    Team Challenge 1 - The Beach Life - hosted by Kitkat

Your team sits at the conference table awaiting the arrival of your new clients. You know that that the Buffet family have been through a difficult time lately and are not really looking forward to their move to Sunset Valley. The team is anxious yet a bit excited as they talk shop while waiting for the appointment to arrive.

BZZZZZ. “Yes, Amelia?, “ you answer when the receptionist buzzes in and interrupts the conversation in the conference room. “Your 10:00 appointment is here.”

“Thanks, Amelia,” you answer. “Send them in, please.”
    “Certainly,” she answers, and you move to the door to greet your new clients.

The whole family has arrived for this consultation. James Buffet introduces himself, his wife Skye, their twin daughters Hibiscus and Rain, and their son Cruz. Skye smiles broadly and holds up the infant boy in her arms. “He can’t shake hands just yet, but his name is Slater.” After introductions and handshakes all around everyone sits down to get to business.

James starts off by describing the family’s situation. “As you are all aware, there has been a devastating environmental disaster going on in the Gulf for over two months now. Oil from the Deepwater Horizon leak starting washing onto our shores about two weeks ago. To put it bluntly, the ocean is our life. We work, live, and play in the Gulf. Sadly, that way of life has been put on hold for a while.” The rest of the family looks upset by James’s words, but nods in agreement. “It’s just too hard on us to remain in our current house while oil washes up in our backyard on a day-to-day basis. At any time, officials could come and tell us that it’s too dangerous where we are and require us to evacuate. We want to have someplace that meets our needs ready for use before that day comes.”

The team is touched. What better assignment is there than to help out a family in need?

Skye continues, “What we’d really like is for you to build us a house in town that reflects our love of the ocean while providing a safe place to live until the current crises no longer poses a threat to our home.”

James smiles and squeezes his wife’s hand. “I hope you don’t misunderstand our situation. We’re not rich. We inherited our home from my wife’s family, and we depend on the ocean to make our living, a way of life that is jeopardy right now. We’ve been fortunate to be able to make some upgrades to our home, but it’s not a mansion by any means. Since we can’t afford to sell our home right now, nor do we want to (the rest of the family nods in agreement to this), our building budget is going to be limited. We’ve decided to withdraw $75,000 from our retirement account, and the bank is loaning us another $50,000 against our current house. That gives us just $125,000. It’s a big risk for us, and the more money you can save us, the better.”

“That’s right,” says Skye. We’re not looking for fancy and top-of-the-line stuff. Just make it cute and livable, and we’ll be happy!”

The team can’t help but smile at her infectious enthusiasm. Discussions continue, and the Buffet’s ideal house begins to emerge. They’ll need four bedrooms – one for the elder Buffets, one for the twins, one for Cruz and Slater, and one smaller guest room/home office. James and Skye are quick to say that they’d rather give up bedroom space in favor of other indoor and outdoor living space. “Just make them functional,” says Skye. “We’re used to making the most of our space at our beach home.” They provide pictures of their current house, and the team begins to get an idea of the style they’d like (Seaside) as well as the color palette (Goldfish). You get the idea that their priority is on décor to meet their design wishes rather than on interior square footage.

“I’d really like a nice sized kitchen, though” says Skye. We have a big family, and we love to entertain.” “We’d love some space to enjoy the outdoors as well. We’re so used to being out on the beach. I think we’d go crazy if we were just cooped up indoors all the time.”

You try to nail down some specifics. “How many bathrooms will you need?”

”Well,” says James, “Skye and I will definitely need one.” I think all the kids can share one for now. A ½ bath (with toilet and sink) would also be nice to have for when we have friends over.”

As the meeting comes to a close, you realize you have several pages full of notes. “A productive meeting,” you think to yourself.

“Just one more thing,” says James Buffet. We expect evacuation orders to come any day now, so we’ll need this house to be completed in no less than two weeks. Can you do that?”

“No problem!,” you confidently answer. You’re already hard at work making plans with your team even as the family exits the conference room…

Design Brief:
    Budget: $125,000 max
    Preferred style: Seaside, FL Beach House (quaint rooflines, balconies, multi-story)
    Preferred color palette:
    Bedrooms: 4
    Baths: 2 ½
    Other considerations: outdoor living spaces desired, budget is an issue

Preferred style: Seaside, FL Beach House (quaint rooflines, balconies, multi-story) http://www.eslarp.uiuc.edu/la/LA338-S01/groups/c/
    Preferred color palette: http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/92095/Giant_Goldfish#
    Bedrooms: 4
    Baths: 2 1/2
    Other considerations: outdoor living spaces desired, budget is an issue

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited September 2010
    Challenge 1 Entries and Results - judged by Kitkat

1. Serene Shores - Exterior Media - Interior Media
    Team members and roles - garbuckle3000- Architecture, kelren837 - Interior Design, tristarin - Lanscaping

House & Landscaping - Striking house! Love the color and texture. Cute porches. The front walk with pampas grass looks very beachy. Love the gazebo - what an unusual roof! Nice tropical landscaping. Cute kids area. Love how you constructed the sandbox. Cute boardwalk! Does it connect? Nice stargazing area. Looks beautiful at night – nice lighting. Love the rationale for the garden and laundry.

Interior – Love the wall color/texture – very beachy. Cute fish wall-hanging! Love the tropical border in the living room. Nice dining area – love the display shelves. Spacious kitchen & cute cabinets. Boy’s room is adorable! Love the surfboard lamp. Love the pattern on the girls’ beds. Master bedroom is lovely – great window treatments. Third floor loft area is fantastic!

2. Team Beach House - Media
    Team members and roles: Scoiattolo - architect, Auroraday - interior designer, mystiqueblue - landscaper

Nice playground area. Love the pool with planting in the center. Like that you included the BBQ and garden area. Cute tropical landscaping close to the house. Love the expansive porches across the front. Pretty house color. Like the orange trim on the door. Nice big kitchen. Love the flower box windows! Cute music and art area  Nice work on the l-shaped stair! Cute girl’s room with the twin beds pushed together. Like the addition of study desk in the boys’ room. Nice master suite. Like the open loft area upstairs.

Great music choice on the video, BTW :)

3. City Sands - Media
    Team members and roles: Brainamp - Architecture, Vanilija - Interior Design, Cera13 - Lanscaping

Love the raised foundation. Beautiful pond area out front. Great tropical flowerbeds. Cute patio tables. Front porch is fantastic! Conservatory/sunroom is cool. Nice, big kitchen. Like the master bedroom – great sitting area. Love the tropical tile in the master bath! Girls’ room is cute – love the accent wall w/ floral wallpaper! Boys’ room is great, too. The fountain pool with lotus lights is gorgeous. Love the Gnubb set with their favorite colors. Great pool – love the unusual shape. Fantastic play area. Like that you included a garden for them.

4. Sugar Sand Bleu - Media

Yay! Somebody figured out James’ “secret” identity  Cute entryway – nice use of the colors. Love the boys’ room. Cute girls’ room – more sophisticated for the teens. Master bedroom is lovely. Love the cozy porch seating. Great decking and flowers out front. Love the picket fence. Spacious and homey kitchen. Another cute porch area w/ loveseat & chairs! Love the carport. Great decks all across the back of the house. Nice living room area. Love the computer/study area. House is very cute from the front. Love the landscaping & cupola. I like the openness of the main living areas. Cute outside dining area!

And the winning team is ….

th_Screenshot-333.jpg"width=300"height=200

Team Starbuckle! Congrats on a very well-rounded lot.

This was not an easy decision! I looked through all the media several times. The top lots each had some very cool design touches which made the decision quite difficult. Congrats to everyone for some very nicely executed entries!
    edited September 2010
    Team Challenge 2 - Sunset Valley Disco - Hosted by Jasnik82

After relocating from their small apartment in Paris, Andre and Marianne Chevalier have settled nicely into Sunset Valley. Both in the law enforcement career, Andre's job required the Chevaliers to move to the Valley after a rise in burglaries. Marianne fell in love with the Valley on their very first visit and planned to spend a lot of time at the beach, and learning the local recipes.
    Andre's career has been going very well, and he has managed to help with the arrest of several local burglars. He also discovered a plot to break into the local science facility, which earned him an award from the Mayor of Sunset Valley. The Mayor was so grateful he told Andre that if there is anything he can do for him, he only had to ask.

Screenshot-1.jpg

Two years after their move, the Chevaliers can’t help feeling that although they love the Valley, there really isn’t much to do in the evening. They enjoy going to the movies, but even that is beginning to get old. Marianne and Andre are missing the vibrant city nightlife they were used to in Paris.

Screenshot-6-1.jpg

Andre, remembering the Mayor’s promise decided to give him a call. Andre explained that he felt Sunset Valley really needed some night time entertainment, a place for adults to hang out and have fun. As it happens, the Mayor had been discussing the demolition of the old pool at 520 Mirabello Road with his colleagues, and they were undecided what should become of the lot. After listening to Andre’s ideas the Mayor agreed to find a team of the finest builders in all of Sunset Valley to complete the project.

Challenge2pics.jpg

With the buzz of the new EP "Late Night". Your challenge is to create a discotheque for Andre and Marianne to have fun and hang out with their friends.

Requirements.

Build on 520 Mirabello Road, in place of the pool.

Be sure to include his and hers bathrooms, bars, a place to eat, a dance floor and music.

Since this is a community lot there will be no budget.

You will need to take extra care with your screenshots as they will be dark if you do not use enough lighting. Daytime shots are good too. Please include a street shot to show how your discotheque fits into town.

All the usual rules apply; the rest is up to you and your team.

edited September 2010
    Challenge 2 Entries & Results - judged by Jasnik 82

I had a whole lot of fun with this challenge, waiting to see what you would come up with. Spoilt for choice, the creations being submitted were amazing and so different; I had the toughest time choosing. After my new scoring system produced a tie, I decided to go in game and see what my simself thought. This ended up making it even harder lol. I was seriously considering getting rid of some other buildings in town to create my very own Party Central.

I didn’t allow any cc into my game and I don't have all store items either, but this did not affect my decision, as I was just seeing if the lots played well, and that there were no major flaws. 99% of my vote was done on your media.

After much club crawling I decided upon a winner.

Congratulations goes to............

Screenshot-216-1.jpg

LilSapphire, Darkside and Sherry, you guys did a fabulous job; my sim had a great time at Club Quixote. You seemed to think of everything a sim needs while partying the night away, and you managed to capture the feel of a club. The architecture was interesting and fit in with town. The interior design was fabulous, loved the colour scheme, I may have to go shopping now since I didn’t have much of the store stuff and it just isnt the same without it. The landscaping is very detailed and finishes the build off nicely, this has to be the most exotic club I have been to. The infinity pool works wonderfully, I like the way you used the fountains with it too. The roof fountain is a little large for the space, but it wouldnt be the same without it. I love the whole roof garden idea; my sim enjoyed getting some fresh air by the fountain after dancing.

An honourable mention to Club Hydra, and Club Blaze, for coming extremely close. My following comments are in no particular order. Well done everyone!

1. Club Quixote - Media
    Team members and roles: Architect: LiLSapphire, Landscape: Darkside 266, Interior Design: Sherry1968

2. Club Hydra - Media
    Team Members and roles: Freynas Architec, QueenieHannah Designer, Juliababyjen Landscaper

This is a fantastic piece of architecture; it really does look great in game, I also liked the cool theme on the interior. Great lounge areas. Love the way you carried the underwater theme throughout, with statues etc. Your roof terrace was unique with the hot tub and those huge loungers. You did very well with the lighting and a clever use of MOO to create the DJ stand.

3. Club Blaze - Media
    Team Members and roles: KayBea: Architect, kimwriter75: Landscaper/Exteriors, jessk328: Interiors

Loved the up market restaurant with aquarium, the style and décor was excellent. You also managed to incorporate many aspects of a night club, with different lounges, the lounge with a pool and bar was a nice touch. One thing I especially liked which was unique to your build was the space you left for use when Late Night comes out. The whole idea of a stage with dressing room and a green room to hang out is brilliant.

4. The Butterfly Effect - Media
    Team members & roles: Architecture - Brainamp, Interior Design - Vanilija, Landscaping - Cera13

This is a nice build, the colours and textures of the exterior work well together and I like the fact that you left enough room outside for the landscaping. It fits into town well. I like the realism of having the back of the property a bit shabby, with the empty boxes and wire fencing. I found the interior could have had a bit more of a disco feel to it, perhaps darker colours and more furniture/objects to create the illusion.

5. Club Al Simtain - Media
    Team members & roles: Kikat7147 - architecture, Lkadas - interior design, Patience_Marie88 – landscape

A beautiful building with lots to look at, the landscaping is pretty and fits the theme. I love the way you have created the large bar area with dance floor right there in front. This lot feels like a bar restaurant and I can quite imagine a live band playing while having a meal. Nice lounge areas and roof terrace.

6. Club Black and White - Media
    Team members and roles: Scoiattolo Architect, AuroraDay Designer, MystiqueBlue Landscaper

My first thought when I saw this was how much the exterior reminded me of a rural pub back home in England, I love it. The overhanging trellis work (sorry couldn’t think of what it is called) and the black and white colour theme, are great. Your lot fits in town really nicely too. Some of the CFE work was a little untidy, but I know what a headache that is. I would have liked to see more furnishing and objects inside to make it feel like a disco.

7. The Starbuckle Warehouse Disco - Exterior Media - Interior Media
    Team members and roles: Garbuckle - architect, Kelren837 - interior design, Tristarin - landscaping

I really like this warehouse feel, I can definitely see this type of club in Sunset Valley, it fits perfectly in town. Inside looks just how you would imagine it to, very open with dark wood and a large open bar. The landscaping was well done and the parking lots were a nice addition. I laughed so hard when I saw the bathrooms, awesome, although definitely not the sort of place you would sit down, if you know what I mean. I did feel you could have used a little more lighting, and when I tried to leave I got stuck upstairs with no way out, I could not use the stairs. Not sure what the problem was but I had to bulldoze the lot to avoid the reaper.

Congratulations to all of you for filling my town with some great night spots and giving my simself a social life.

edited September 2010
    Challenge 3 - Windy Hill Farm - by Sherry 1968

Team Challenge #3 - Windy Hill Farm

You have just hung up the phone after talking with Andre Chevalier. He was so excited about the new club your team built in Sunset Valley, that he just couldn’t stop talking about it. You decide to go there this weekend and see how it looks full of life. It really was a fun project, but it is good to have it behind you. Now you can get back to planning your own home renovations. That house on the edge of the swamp has great potential, but it really needs a lot of work!

There is a knock at the door. You glance up momentarily and return to your drawing. “Come in,” you respond absent-mindedly. Absorbed in your drawing, you are unaware of the cloud of dust which pursues the next client into the room.

ry%3D400

“Ahem,” they clear their throat.

Startled out of your thoughts you look up and smile. “Oh, hi! What can I do for you?”

There is a young woman standing before you wearing dusty jeans and cowboy boots. “Howdy ma’am,” she answers. “I’m afraid I need some help.” She looks down at the floor and I suddenly notice that she is holding a cowboy hat in front of her, rolling the brim nervously as she shifts her weight from side to side.

“Well, I’d be glad to help! What seems to be the problem?”

She glances up from under her long wavy hair, and you catch a flash of green eyes before she looks down again. “Um, okay, it’s like this. You see, I have some horses just outside of town. We give lessons to young kids, you know, to introduce ‘em to the country an’ all. They just light up when they pull in the driveway!” She seems to be warming up to me a little bit now.

ry%3D400

“I see. That certainly sounds like a wonderful occupation, but I’m afraid I don’t…”

“It’s the new highway!” she blurts out before I can finish. “They’re building that downtown area now, and along with it a highway to bring in more people. Unfortunately, my place seems to be right in the way. They’re givin’ me plenty of money for it, but they said it all has to go. I only have three weeks to get everything moved to a new place! What am I gonna do?” She looks at you pleadingly, her eyes suspiciously watery.

“Wow! Three weeks, that’s not much time! I’ll tell you what, I have a couple of friends, and I know if we all work on this together we can get it finished. Don’t worry, we can fix up a new place in no time at all!”

“Oh, you’re amazing! Thank you so much! I didn’t know what I was gonna do if you couldn’t help.” The young lady smiles for the first time since she came in, and you see that underneath all that dust - and once you get past her shyness - she is really a beautiful and charismatic woman.

ry%3D400

“Now, we’ll just need to settle a few details. It might help if I knew your name,” you suggest, returning her smile.

Blushing, she covers her face with her hand before she answers. “I am so sorry! I was so worried about this highway that I didn’t even introduce myself! My name is Sherry, Sherry Simmerson. What else do you need to know?”

“What type of buildings will you need? And I’m assuming you’ll want some type of fencing of course.”

“Yes, of course! I’ll need a barn with 4 stalls plus a tack room and office. Bathrooms out there might be good, too, so the kids don’t have to go all the way up to the house. There will have to be a small ring for the lessons, and maybe a couple of small pastures or paddocks. I have to keep a couple of the horses separate or they’ll fight. I’ll also need a small outbuilding to keep feed and hay in.”

“Great! Now you mentioned a house. What type of house would you need, and how big?”

“Let’s see, it’ll need at least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I have two young girls, 5 and 7, and a little boy who just turned 3. I’m not too picky about style, but I’d kind of like a country feel to it. And I’d love a porch or a deck. We enjoy bein’ outside whenever we can. My husband likes to swim, so a pool would be a nice plus.”

“Okay. I’ll call up my friends so we can get started.” You stop her before she turns to leave. “Oh! Before you go, are there any colors you prefer, and do you have a budget?”

ry%3D400

“Hmmm, I guess for colors I really prefer earthy tones, especially blue, brown, and green. The budget is pretty open since we’ll be gettin’ some money from the old property an’ all. I think we should keep it under $300,000 though. I still gotta buy feed and hay, after all.”

“Thanks for stopping in, rest assured we will do everything we can to have it finished on time.”

You shake Sherry’s hand before she turns and walks out the still open door. There is a bit more spring in her step than there was when she arrived. You look longingly at the drawings of your house before picking up the phone to contact your friends.

ry%3D400

Requirements:
    ~ 4 stall barn with tackroom (room to keep riding equipment in, ie - saddles), office, and bathrooms.
    ~ Fenced in ring and at least two small pastures.
    ~ Small outbuilding for hay and feed storage.
    ~ House with at least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms decorated in earth tones, especially greens, blues and browns. A porch or deck and pool if possible.
    ~ Budget is $300,000
    ~ Due on Sunday, September 12 at 12:00 midnight
    ~ Lot size is up to you.

Rules
    ~ The architect is responsible for all walls, windows, interior and exterior doors, and exterior siding. They can also terraform the lot as needed for building only.
    ~The interior designer is responsible for all interior flooring, wall covering, furnishings, appliances, and plumbing.
    ~The landscaper is responsible for all exterior furnishings (porches, patios, pools, etc.)and any flowers, trees,bushes, terrain paint, etc.
    ~You cannot change what another team member has done.
    ~You must submit your final lot to TS3 or a hosting site for me to download if needed.
    ~You must submit a slide show of your lot. Be sure to take pictures of all angles so I can see all the architectural, design, and landscaping details.
    ~Your lot will be primarily (99%) judged on the media (slide show) you submit. I will install your lot and look around if I have any playability or other concerns.
    ~Be creative and have fun :)

Timeline:
    ~ You will have 3 weeks this time.
    ~ Each team member has one week to complete their portion, they may go in any order. If you finish before your week is up, feel free to pass it along early. Just be sure your portion is complete no later than Sunday at 12 midnight.
    ~ Please include a link to pictures/media of your portion of the project with your upload link. I know pictures sound silly for architecture, but it does make it easier to see the build without the décor and landscape.
    ~ The final slide show can be from just the final team member, or a compilation of the entire project. It is possible and acceptable for one person to turn in all of the pictures if you prefer, just be sure to include pictures of each stage and note this when you submit each stage of the build. I believe it will help with judging to see each portion.
    edited October 2010
    Challenge 3 Entries and Results by Sherry 1968

Even though it was a lot of work for me, I loved judging this challenge. The entries were all very beautiful and although the Simmerson’s requested a country feel, everyone went about it in a unique way. I could tell that you spent a lot of time on this challenge. It was also very obvious that some people had a lot more horse knowledge than others. Also, some of the farms where more basic, while others were upscale. I tried not to let any of this affect my judgement in any way! It was very difficult picking just one entry to win! I also tried to use a “rubric” to score them, but three of them were within 3 points of each other, so I finally went in game. It was fun to play them, and I think the Simmerson’s would have felt at home on any of the lots. I hope you don’t mind that I wrote very detailed comments. Sorry it is so long! Without further ado, here are the results:

1. Windy Hill Farm - Building and Landscaping Media -Interior Design media
    Team members & roles: Jessk - Interiors, Kimwriter75 - Landscaping, KayBea - Architecture

Architecture:
    The architecture creates a classic country farmhouse feel as soon as you drive up to the lot. It is a large house with plenty of room. The three bedrooms are large, and there is a private master bathroom. The wrap-around porch gives the family plenty of room to enjoy the outdoors. The barn was well done with a nice loft to entertain those not out riding. It also had a classroom set up for homework, or further horse education. The kitchen did not look very accessible from the rest of the house. Nice mudroom for cleaning up. The barn was a good size and the outbuilding was conveniently located.
    Landscape:
    The ring is well lit, great for riding day or night. I think the ring fence might look a little better with more fence posts to break it up. Playground and pool with deck is a great place for outdoor family time. The chairs are perfect to relax in while the kids are playing in pool or playground. I love that you used the little toy horses - that is so cute! I like the dirt driveway for the trucks. Plenty of paths to get around the farm.
    There was a lot of terraforming here, but I thought the ground was almost too unlevel. Maybe just a little bit smoother would have improved the feel. The landscaping was simple, with minimal plants and trees, but the lot probably plays really well! I think just a few more trees would have been nice.
    Interior Design:
    Your horses will never be hungry! They had 4 bales of hay each in their stalls. I’m glad you gave them water buckets, too. Were they sawhorse “horses”? Very creative! Thanks for the smoke detector and the burglar alarm in the house. I couldn’t identify a color palette here, I think there would have been a little more cohesiveness using a palette. There wasn’t really anything wrong with the colors and patterns, some of them were very nice, but they did not feel connected to me. I did like that you had the country feel. The kitchen was very cozy, yet large enough for a family and very functional.
    The kitchen and upstairs living area were probably my two favorite rooms in the house. I loved the colors and patterns in the kitchen, especially the rug, and the counter island with the bar stools was great. The upstairs living area was nicely filled up with furniture, not too crowded, not too sparse. I liked the colorful walls here.

Congrats on the EA Feature! I love that you did this with no CC!

2. Sunnyside Farm and Stables - Media
    Team members and roles: Freynas--Architecht, Judywork1957--Designer, Juliababyjen--Landscaper

Architecture:
    This was a fantastic farmhouse style with plenty of features. Very nice architecture, but I’m not sure the exterior doors went well with the design of the house – Okay, I just saw where Freynas said you didn’t have the front doors she used. . The interior doors were beautiful. There was an amazing large front porch, but no pool.  (which was optional) Interestingly, this was the only build without a pool. I love the little balcony on the top of the barn overlooking the pasture. The U shaped stairs in the house are very well done. Watch your directions, though -the Simmerson’s asked for a barn with office and bathrooms, and an outbuilding for feed and hay. You had the feed and hay in the barn and the office and bathrooms in the outbuilding. It was a very nice office, though! And to be fair, you did have a bathroom in the barn as well. Thank you for all of the architecture pictures!
    Landscape:
    I liked the little details like the logs stacked by the garage. The barrels on the porch. The parking spot out by the barn. Not so sure about the hydrangeas on the porch… There were nice paths winding throughout the property, and a clothesline for laundry.
    I was surprised to see no exterior lighting? Not even by the front door? The clover in pasture looks kind of square – maybe use some of the rounded edge clover as well. I also would have liked to see some water for the horses in the pastures
    And I just have to say: WOW! The bleachers/grandstand is fantastic! I love that – very nice job.
    Interior Design:
    I love the décor in the bedrooms. The blue stripes in the master are very classic, and the baby’s room is very colorful. The extra large dining room table is a nice touch, and the mudroom/laundry room is very smart! Great idea. The kitchen was slightly small compared to the rest of the house, but still very functional. Thanks for the smoke detector and the burglar alarm.Very nice use of MOO in the living room. I love the bar and the aquarium, and the mirrors with the plants were well done. I liked the stone floor in the barn aisle and the wood mulch in the stalls. (I use wood shavings in mine.) Not sure why you had two different colors of shavings… Is one clean and one dirty? I also liked how you tried to make a manger or place to put the hay. Thanks for giving the horses water buckets. Watch the directions: the office and bathrooms were in the smaller building, but the directions said the outbuilding was for hay and feed and the barn should have the office and bathrooms. Nice use of MOO throughout the house for decorating. The colors and patterns blended very well.
    I like that you used the sims to playtest and show the farm in action. The little girl in the sprinkler is adorable.

3. Team Starbuckle - Architect and Landscaping Media - Interior Design Media
    Team Members -and roles: Architecture - garbuckle3000, Landscaping - tristarin, Interior Design - kelren837

Architecture:
    This lot had beautiful cape cod architecture, and I loved the color. There was only one bathroom upstairs for all four bedrooms to share, with another large bathroom downstairs. With such a big house I would have liked another bathroom upstairs. All of the bedrooms had fireplaces – great for those cooler days. There was a lovely front and back porch, and a large pool in the back yard. Watch directions – the barn was beautiful, but only asked for 4 stalls and you gave us 8. It is good to have lots of room, but the Simmerson’s still have to pay the electric bill. ; ) The garage was very roomy, and had plenty of space for the hay and feed. The lot was built to go on 13 Skyborough Blvd., and it looked beautiful there – nice choice. I think the best part here was that the architecture was beautiful, and the home fit the lot very well.
    Landscape:
    Beautiful job on the pool, the tile was eyecatching, and the wooden deck surrounding the pool went well with the rest of the home. Maybe there could have been a path from house to pool? There was a small ring behind the barn, a pasture with pond, and a jumping ring which served as another pasture. Creative use of the “sim fu” pole in the ring. The sign out front was very creative as well. The beautiful veggie garden already had plenty of plants, and the flower garden on the other side of the house added to the appeal. There were beautiful flowers throughout the lot. My favorite part was the fantastic pool, and playground with covered sandbox.
    Interior Design:
    The colors were all very appealing and the home had that “country feel”. You did very well finding those “earthy” tones for the Simmersons. I’m not sure how realistic that rug that goes under stairs looked in the entry. Fantastic matching, use of color and patterns. I see some very nice CC horse pictures. I’m hoping they transfer. The tack room was great with awards and tools. The most outstanding interior design feature was the beautiful colors and patterns.
    Final Comments:
    There were a few small details missing. Not much lighting in the barn other than the invisible WA lighting. The stone floor in the horse stalls would not be very comfortable to sleep on. You gave the horses some hay, but no water. There seemed to be some pieces of fence outside a different color. There was no chair in front of desk in game room, and no curtains in game room or living room. Didn’t see a smoke detector or burglar alarm, but I could have overlooked them.

4. Windy Hill Farm - Media
    Team members and roles: Team members & roles: Scoiattolo - architect, MystiqueBlue - landscaper, AuroraDay, interior designer

Architecture:
    When I first saw this lot, I wasn’t sure I liked the style. But the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. It was the most unique architecture of all the lots. There was plenty of room in the house, with 4 bedrooms, and 3 ½ baths. There was a large porch in front, and another porch and deck in the back by the pool. The barn and the house went together very well, and you used the siding and colors to tie the “silo” into the lot. I would have liked to see the downstairs powder room just a little larger. The style and layout of the home and the farm were fantastic.
    Landscape:
    There were 2 large pastures here, but no separate ring for riding. One of the pastures was set up to use as a ring. I would have liked to see something around pool – tile or stone or something besides grass. The driveway ending at the pool looked odd. I like the parking spaces out front. Great for clients. Also, I thought you seemed to need a railing around the deck out by the pool. There was no hay or water in stalls, and no way to drive to barn to deliver feed or with a horse trailer. In fact, there was no way to get to the barn at all! It was entirely fenced, but no gates! O.o I like that you used dirt in stalls, and wood barn aisle, good traffic terrain paint. Not too many plants, but good for a farm. I think it would have been nice to have a few more trees. I thought that three different fence types was too many. I think it would look better with one kind of fence, two at the most. There was no lighting on porch, no exterior lighting at all other than at the road and front of driveway. You did include a swing set for the children, a nice garden, and a wonderful deck set up with a bar by the pool.
    Interior Design:
    The interiors of the home looked unfinished, some walls looked as if there was no paint or paper? I would have liked to see a more cohesive color palette in the rooms that were finished. No pictures on walls. No area rugs. Too many different wood trim colors – front door is one, archways another, stair rail another. Smoke detector was there, but I didn’t see a burglar alarm. Nice layout of furniture and traffic flow.
    Final Lot: §154,377 – Wow, you made a lot of house for not much money, but you could have done so much more if you had used more of the budget.

5. Just Horsin' Around Ranch - Building and Landscaping Media - Interior Design Media
    Team members and roles: Hazentw- architect, PrincessNatasha- interiors, Cameo- landscaping

Architecture:
    Very nice 4 stall barn. The tackroom shared a space with the office, and the bathrooms were under the barn with an exterior entrance. Watch your directions - the Simmerson’s requested an outbuilding for feed and hay. You did have storage for the feed in the barn loft, though.
    The house was fabulous with three generous bedrooms. There was a beautiful wrap-around porch, and pool with stone terrain paint. The L-shaped stairs were great.
    Landscape:
    Nice barrel racing ring. Love that it is well lit for night riding. Also 2 small pastures, and one larger. I love the terraced front yard and the steps to the house. The water and the flowers are beaugiful. Awesome outdoor bar by the pool! Good job adding the little details such as the worn traffic patterns and “manure” piles.
    I would suggest more exterior lights around the pool area? You included a nice driveway, but I didn’t see any parking.
    I thought in general this lot had the best terraforming for the entire lot, and the landscaping looked very realistic for a working horse farm.
    Interior Design:
    You did a good job sticking to the requested colors. I like the warm tones of the stone floor in the bathroom and by the back door. The kitchen has a nice layout, the eat in bar is a nice touch. Love the classroom above the barn. Good job with the classroom and the “paper”. I really love the fireplace in the master bathroom! Makes for a cozy relaxing bath. The separate areas in the girls’ room were a wonderful idea. The “carousel” horse was very creative. The little underground rec room was cool, and the mirrors with curtains was a great idea to resemble windows.
    I would have liked to see more color variety in the different rooms, but the ones you used worked well together with the patterns. Be careful not to use too many similar patterns in one room. Try one floral, one geometric, and maybe a texture or other pattern. And thanks for the burglar alarm, but no smoke detector? I’m not sure about the fencing used around the toilets. I don’t think the sims will use them if there is someone else in the room. No lights in classroom above barn.
    My favorite interior part was the kitchen – loved that eat in bar counter. This was another build where I could tell someone had a lot of horse knowledge and was detail oriented.

6. Windy Hill Ranch - Building Media - Landscaping Media - Interior Design Media
    Team members and roles: Emilym3 - Architect, Smiler3 - Interior Design, Kitkatt7147 - Landscaping

Architecture:
    I thought the architecture was fantastic, and I love that it was all on one level. The house was a tad on the small side, but is really a great size for sims. There were thThe design was country and rustic, but still classy. The roof design was great, with some CFE elements to make it more interesting. The four stall barn was a classic design with wood and stone siding. The building for feed and hay was built onto the side of the barn.
    Landscape:
    Looks amazing. The one negative was the path to the barn from the house was a little convoluted, but still usable. There was a separate driveway for the house and the barn. You provided parking for the students, and a playground for the children, which was great. Fencing was consistent. There were 2 small pastures. What a fantastic jumping ring. For anyone that knows what they are, there was a wall, a gate, a coop, an oxer, and a water jump. This was almost certainly created by someone that has done this before. I believe this was the only build which used the in game “silo”. There were great paths and traffic patterns, except for that elusive path from the house to the barn. Very nice jumping ring with a great variety of jumps, well thought out. I would have liked to see more outside lighting.
    Interior Design:
    Ooops! You forgot to give the horse stalls a door or gate. It was a fairly small home, but had all the necessary elements. The space was used very economically. The kitchen was probably my favorite room. I loved the colors and the pattern you used on the chairs. The table up against the counters saved room, but there were still enough chairs for everyone. The master bedroom was also very nice, if a bit small -sims couldn’t use the dresser here. The living room had a huge window overlooking one of the horse pastures, very appealing. Hmmm, no curtains anywhere in the home.
    The patterns and colors were beautiful. To me, it looks like a home from Better Homes and Gardens or Southern Living.

And the winners are...

2nd Place - A tie!

Team PHC *2nd Place*
    Hazentw- architect
    PrincessNatasha- interiors
    Cameo- landscaping

AND

Team Starbuckle *2nd Place*
    Architecture - garbuckle3000
    Landscaping - tristarin
    Interior Design - kelren837

1st Place -

Screenshot-20.jpg"height=300""width=450

Team Emilym3, Smiler3, Kitkat
    Emilym3 - Architect
    Smiler3 - Interior Design
    Kitkatt7147 - Landscaping

Congratulations to everyone - you ALL did an amazing job! Be sure to check out the other lots and give recs whenever possible.
    edited March 2011
    Team Challenge #4 - Back to School - hosted by Kitkat

Hard at work in your studio, you’ve almost forgotten about your 2:00 appointment. The doorbell disturbs your concentration, and you admit 4 determined looking women into your home office.

ry%3D400

“How can I help you?” you ask.

One of the women launches into an explanation. “Well, we’ve been friends since high school. I’m Sharon, and these are my best friends Amber, Lota, and Maureen.” You shake hands with each of the women as they are introduced.

ry%3D400

“We’re interviewing several design firms to see which firm can provide our kids with the best condo/townhouse for their college experience. We’d like for each firm to provide us with a computerized model of their design. We’ll then pick the design that best meets our needs.”

Feeling a little puzzled, you hope for further explanation. “Is this a family build?” you ask.

“Oh, no!” the women answer in unison.

“Although we may as well be family,” laughs Lota.

Sharon continues, “It’s so hard to believe that our friendship started over 25 years ago! We married at slightly different times, but we all ended up having our first children in the same year. What an amazing coincidence! It’s like the kismet that our friendship was - we all have children going off to the same state college this year. We’ve decided that building a townhouse for the kids to live in will be a good investment, and will allow us to keep an eye on what they’re up to.”

ry%3D400

“Not that we’ll be intruding on them every weekend or anything,” interjects Maureen.

“Oh, surely not!” adds Amber. “We just want a nice place for them. They’re all great friends, so it should be the perfect arrangement… right?”

Sharon nods and resumes her explanation of the group’s desires. “Well, of course, we’ll want the boys’ rooms and the girls’ rooms to be somewhat separated for privacy. Each pair of rooms should have one common bathroom to share. And study areas will have to be included!”

“We expect our kids to have fun at State, but we also expect them to study hard and do well.” This interjection from Lota brings nods and smiles from the group.

Sharon continues once more, “Since we’re pooling our family resources on this, we have $175,000 to spend on building, interior design, and landscaping. Be sensible on the furnishings though – they’re college students. They’ll probably end up wrecking the place a bit.” The women laugh and nod at this as if remembering their own college experience.

“Kids will be kids, after all!” Sharon adds. “Super high-end furnishings are not practical. Just make sure it’s contemporary and cute. We’re sure they’ll end up loving it!”

ry%3D400

You take this opportunity to ask about any additional room needs. The women provide a detailed list of indoor and outdoor areas that they will require.

Sharon adds firmly, “We’ll need a guest bedroom for visiting parents and friends. It’s up to you how to arrange it, but the guest area should sleep 3 people. A bathroom for guests is also a must. You never know who is going to have game tickets and need a place to stay - Go STATE! ” At this, the women break into side conversations about the upcoming football weekend dates and State’s chances at another national championship.

Trying to refocus the meeting, you begin asking about the four students who will be sharing the condo. The women each describe their children, and the following picture emerges -

1. Sharon’s daughter: Josie - environmental/flower child
    2. Lota’s daughter: Abrial - girly girl
    3. Amber’s son: Cameron – jock, yet academically inspired
    4. Maureen’s son: Joey - computer/sci-fi geek

Whew - the energy of these moms is infectious! You begin to get excited about the design opportunity being presented to you. “Here’s what I propose,” you say. “I’ll begin looking for design inspirations and start sketching over the next few days. I’ll choose an overall design theme and color scheme, although I’ll personalize each child’s area a bit to reflect their unique personalities. I’ll then get my best people on the task of creating a working computer model of what the units will look like. I’m sure you’ll be thrilled with the results!”

ry%3D400

The women thank you and chatter happily as you escort them to the front door. Closing the door behind them, design ideas are already starting to take form in your mind…

Challenge Brief:
    • 5 BDR/3BA Townhouse or Condo for college students
    • 2 boys/2 girls (sims and profiles provided)
    • 30x30 lot
    • Pool and outdoor entertaining area required
    • Each student needs a study area or provide one common study room
    • Choose an overall design inspiration picture for the common areas and provide a
    picture with your submission
    • Decorate each student room according to the student’s personality and preferences,
    but tie it somehow to the design inspiration

Teams for Challenge 4

1. JSS Designs, Inc: Jasnik82 - architecture, SmokyTopaz - interior, Sherry1968 - landscaping
    2. Freynas - architecture, Juliababyjen - landscape, Judywork - interior
    3. Kaybea - architecture, Kimwriter75 - interior, Cera13 - landscaping
    4. Smiler3 - architecture, chocolates2009 - interior, kquinn1990 - landscaping
    5. Starbuckle - garbuckle3000 - architecture, tristarin - landscaping, kelren837 - interior
    6. Scoiattolo - architecture, AuroraDay - interior, mystiqueblue - landscape
    7. Adler900 - Architecture, Hazentw - Landscape, _Princess_Natasha_ - Interior
    8. Ehaught58 - architecture, TnT_Terry - landscape, BrennaW - interior
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 4 Entries and Results - judged by Kitkat

Challenge 4 - Back to School - Results

Comments - in order of sumbission...

1. Smiler3 - architecture, chocolates2009 - interior, kquinn1990 - landscaping
    Download - TBC-SKC
    Interior Pictures.......More Pictures

Inspiration Picture
    dth_kav01.jpg"height=350""width=400

I like the angular lines to the house. Interesting sculpture-y wall out front. Some nice landscaping. Like the use of rocks and banana plants. Cute outdoor bar area next to the pool. I like the sun deck area and firepit seating next to the pool. Nice use of pool to create water features in the landscaping. Love the large windows and the choice of exterior building materials. Nice wood flooring inside. I like neutral color scheme for the main areas. Cute entryway. Like the of color in the girls’ rooms. Hmmm is the dresser in the pink room usable? Love the soft grey in the guest room. Is there a separate guest bath?

side notes – Be sure to read the challenge scenario carefully. Should have been on a 30X30 lot and you went overbudget by about $20,000. Also, more pictures would be helpful :wink:

2. Freynas - architecture, Juliababyjen - landscape, Judywork - interior

Download - Co-ed College Condo
    Exterior Pics........Interior pics

Inspirational Pic
    5066126544_200938b215_s.jpg"width=300""height=200"
    More pics here

Cool landscaping! The foundation wall on the left is a neat effect. The decks are nicely decorated giving it a functional look. Cute sand garden. Nice use of terrain paint for the drive and pool area. Like that you gave them a garage. Some cute of indoor plants in the yard for interesting planting areas. I like the use of CFE to create the slanted walls in the deck areas. Like the exterior siding. Cute laundry room and kitchen. Gorgeous entry area. I can see how your inspiration pics drove your design. Love your use of pattern and color. Nice idea to have the guest areas separate on the lower level. Cute décor down here as well. Nice use of MOO in the den/entertainment area. Looks sophisticated, but college appropriate. Cute flower child room! Love the elegance of the girly-girl room. Like the choice of objects in sci-fi room and the jock room. Great layout and very nice use of space.

3. Adler900 - Architecture, Hazentw - Landscape, _Princess_Natasha_ - Interior

Download - Four Friend's Condo
    Interior Pics

Inspiration Pic
    poj.jpg

Use of saturated colors gives an edgy look to the two upstairs rooms. I don’t always like this much color, but you handled it very well. Like the communal bathroom layout. Great use of the plants in the flower child room. A sophisticated flair in the girly room. Love the open overlook and fireplace. Great railings for the open walkway. Love that the geek room has a robot sculpture! Like the use of orange as a tie-in color in the common areas. Great bar area in the kitchen. Those striped light fixtures are fantastic. Love that the kids have study options – in their rooms or all together. Nice landscaping. Like the use of the fog emitters to create fountains. Fantastic pool area. Love the use of wood and glass in this area. Great fountain/pond area. Cute MOO’d chimney/grill combo. Great bar. The reflecting pools out front are a nice touch.

4. JSS Designs, Inc: Jasnik82 - architecture, SmokyTopaz - interior, Sherry1968 - landscaping

Download - Townhouse by JSS Designs
    Link to media

I think you guys might be the only entry that didn’t go very modern – a nice change of pace. Cute intro to the slide show! Love the exterior. Cute gables and balconies. Love the study area. Like the pink and green in the girly room. Cute camo towels :) Like the spacious kitchen and dining area. Nice functional rooms and furnishings. Cute use of pattern in the flower child room. Love the bathroom with the green accents. Nice guest loft. Love the side garden looking back to the outdoor seating. Cute bike corral! Gorgeous pool with plantings and fountain. Cute bar and outdoor dining area. Like that you included parking out front. Great little secluded seating area by the front entrance. Love the gate with flowers leading to front porch. Fun – a trampoline!

5. Kaybea - architecture, Kimwriter75 - interior, Cera13 - landscaping

Download - The Baccalaureate
    Link to media

Inspiration pic:
    interiordesign2.jpg&t=1

Nice bright color scheme. Yikes! I can’t figure out how to slow down this slide show. I can’t type that fast! Oh, phew. I can see interior pics in the final album. Like the paint effect on the wall behind the dining area. Nice kitchen layout. Love the wrap-around bar idea. Cute tv area. The color blocking effect on the wall is very clever. Is that a giant flower tattoo on Josie’s back – awesome! Cute girls’ bath. Love the use of pattern and plants in the flower child room. Cute computer area with attached laundry. Like the whimsical flair in the geek room. Love the use of florals in Abrials’s room. Nice guest room. Cute common areas inside. Love the exterior color. Nice landscaping out front. Is someone a UF fan, cuz those are definitely Gator colors! Love the sand gardens with rocks and banana leaf plants. Cute seating area next to the pool. Like the bar. Love the pool landscaping. Really cool how the top story appears to be coming through the front walls – neat effect. Love the daylight pics even more. Cool skylights. Like the two garages. Interesting layout and shape to the house.

6. Ehaught58 - architecture, TnT_Terry - landscape, BrennaW - interior

Download - Harvest Moon
    Media

Inspiration Picture
    BET

Fabulous architecture. It really has a condo or dorm look to it while still looking very elegant. Great bar on the back deck – love the license plates. Pool area is fantastic. Cute diving board! Like the tv area. I can see the fall color scheme carried throughout. Love the color and pattern in the guest room. Fantastic bathroom. Love the jock room! Cool modern feel to the sci-fi room. The tile is a good choice for a college pad. More great use of color and pattern in the dining room. Nice spacious kitchen. Love the study. I like that you included computers as well as a table for studying. Great bookshelves as well. Cute laundry room. Love the game room with stereo. Sophisticated girly room. Love the quirky feel to the flower child room. Interesting overall layout. I like the distinct purposes for each level. Love the aerial view of the pavers in the back yard. Great geometric design.

7. Starbuckle - garbuckle3000 - architecture, tristarin - landscaping, kelren837 - interior

Download - University Avenue
    Link to Media

Cool modern look. Like the illusion of the 2-story windows. Cool dimensional effect on the sides of the building. Like the many balconies. Some nice CFE work. Like the garage. Cool slanted effect on the pillars here. Cool floorplan. Definitely dl’ing to see how you created the garage level :wink: Cool “green” roof with solar collectors. Love the flower beds and hedges out front. Like the grilling area with picnic tables. Cute rooftop veg garden. Great elevated pool area. Love the flowers around the deck. Adore the flower child room! What a cute pattern. And the Faire Folk tree is perfect. Wow. The girly room is so chic. Cool rug. Great colors in the jock room. Ha! That body outline rug in the sci-fi room is priceless. Love the Space Invaders wall art as well. Fantastic kitchen. Like the brick wall texture - gives it an industrial look. Cool study area. Oh, the paint spatters on the floor by the easel are perfect! Love your choice of patterns – many almost have a 40s/50s feel to them. Uhm…is that a stripper pole in the living room? LoL! Awesome use of clutter objects in the sci-fi room. Love the posters as well. Love the teal and black in the guest bedroom. Hmm… stretching the specs a little by giving each student a private bath…but I’ll let it slide since together they’re the size that one bath would be.

Results...
    Well, this was a REALLY difficult decision. I have a couple of "stand out" awards to give in addition to the place awards. They are:

Outstanding Landscaping - Sherry 1968
    Clipart_Landscape_trees.jpg"width=200""height=150"

Outstanding Architecture - Freynas
    0511-0810-0919-2308_Persian_Architecture_clipart_image.jpg"width=200""heighty=100"

And the Overalll Winners are...

1st Place - Team Starbuckle! An overall very well-rounded lot, and the fantastic interiors really gave this one the extra edge.

2nd Place - Team BET! Wow - this build really shows each collaborator's talents. Nice job :)

There were so many fantastic builds this challenge, and each build had one or two facets which really made them shine. The winning teams shined just a tad brighter :) Thanks to all teams for sharing your work - I had a great time looking at your work and ended up creatively inspired, as usual :)
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 5 - Starts Monday, 10/18

Team Building Challenge 5 - Hosted by Jasnik

Challenge 5 Starts Here

After much planning and consideration Club Quixote was built. The Mayor had invited the Chevaliers to the opening ceremony, and to start the celebrations. It was a good turn out and the new club seemed a hit with the town.

ry%3D400

The Chevaliers had enjoyed many fun filled evenings, dancing the night away with their friends. Marianne is doing well in the police force, and Andre has been working long hours, getting promotions, and even dabbling in a little private investigation. Marianne is happy that Andre is doing well in his career, and the boss seems to like him, he is a hard worker after all. After another busy, stressful day, Andre calls Marianne to tell her he will not be home in time for the dinner she had planned. He said he was very sorry, but he needed to tie up a few lose ends, and would be another hour at least. Marianne was a little upset since she had prepared Andre’s favourite meal, and they were going to share their favourite nectar from the local nectary. Marianne, being as easy going as she is, was determined not to let work spoil their evening. She packed everything up, and decided to meet Andre after work for a moonlight picnic.
    The surprise picnic was just what Andre needed after a long day. The park was quiet, and they enjoyed the time together. After they had eaten, Andre decided he’d share a surprise of his own, and explained to Marianne that his boss had given him some much needed time off, and how about they go away somewhere. Marianne was so excited; they had not had a break in so long. She wanted this to be really special, just the two of them.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The next day while Andre was at work, Marianne made some phone calls and got everything booked up. She couldn’t wait; the place looked lovely, set in a quiet little New England town with a little pub nearby, and a short walk to the lake. This was just what they needed.

New England in the Fall.

Your challenge is to build a small town bed and breakfast for the Chavaliers. Nothing fancy, just a cosy family run place with a homely feel. As the title suggests, it is autumn time so be sure to use your trees well.
    Build on a residential lot anywhere along Redwood pkwy .
    You have a budget of $160,000.
    You may also create the owners of your bed and breakfast if you wish.
    If you are stuck you should find plenty of inspiration on the web, this is a popular getaway at this time of year.

Have fun!
  • cameonet1950cameonet1950 Posts: 2,138 Member
    edited September 2010
    Challenge 4 - Starts Monday!
    What IS it?
    TS3Siggy.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 5 Entries and Results - Judged by Jasnik

KCK Concepts.
    Architecture: KayBea
    Interior Design: Kimwriter
    Landscaper: Cera

The Borden Bed and Breakfast.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3352946#
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v204/sarask/Cera...tion=view&current=*****2ab.pbw

The Borden BnB was definitely a surprise to me. I had heard of it before but never really knew the story. I did go and read up on it and what an interesting case it is, for those who do not know, I highly recommend you take a look to fully appreciate the work that has gone into this lot.
    I think you guys have done a remarkable job of re-creating the Borden house. The likeness is eerily realistic, from the simple style of the house itself, right down to the interior furnishings and rooms. I can see that you have made every effort to create each room as it was originally. I like that you kept the walls, carpets, and furniture appropriate for the time period, and the landscaping reflects the season perfectly. The Borden Bed and Breakfast definitely feels like a BnB, although I am not sure I would be brave enough to stay there  Great job guys!

Essemelle
    Architecture: Scoiattolo
    Interior Design: LeeBeeJeeBee
    Landscaper: MystiqueBlue

Mystic Point Inn.
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3348553
    http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u221/mightykits/?albumview=s
    lideshow

From the exterior Mystic Point Inn, is a pretty looking BnB, with pleasing architecture. I really like the dormer windows, and the large deck with pergola. The dining room is gorgeous and would be lovely to come down to breakfast. The guest rooms are well organized and nicely decorated, some with pretty views. The landscaping is nice but a little sparse in some areas, you can tell it is autumn time. Its good to see some outside seating for guests to enjoy the view. Take a little more care with your media as this shows all your hard work Great job team Essemelle!

Team SKC
    Architecture: Smiler3
    Interior Design: Chocolates
    Landscaper: kquinn

SKC Bed and Breakfast Inn
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3349464
    http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad280/kfq1990/tbc/?albumview
    =slideshow
    http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/ab200/chocolate...ast Inn/?albumview=slideshow

This is a quaint little BnB that looks like it has been there for many years, receiving lots of happy guests. From what I can see the landscaping is good, nice pergola with an autumnal feel. Sadly I could only find 2 landscaping pictures, and none for the rear of the property, which does make judging difficult. The rooms are lovely, well placed and comfortable looking, I really like the purple suite . I did find the yellow room rather modern, and a little out of place with the rest of the BnB. One of my favourite features is the reception desk, what a cute idea. Well done guys!

JSS Designs Inc
    Architecture: JuliaBabyJen
    Interior Design: SmokyTopaz
    Landscaper: Sherry1968

Sleepy Hollow Bed and Breakfast.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/y8ek992462ty8e2/Slee...ed & Breakfast.Sims3Pack
    http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/shegrissi...tion=view&current=6303ef66.pbw
    http://www.slide.com/r/_ITdNs8Dzz-mvPUnk5yKORpDDN-JrbnC?

Sleepy Hollow Bed and Breakfast looks so inviting nestled in those stunning grounds. Very woodsy and fall like, with interesting paths leading to a nice place to sit, or cross the cute bridge. I am sure guests would love to fish in the pond or take in the fresh air from the lovely pergola; the vegetable garden is a nice touch too. The building is interesting, and full of character with its dormer windows, grand entrance, and covered porches. I was surprised to see no fireplace for those chilly fall evenings. The rooms look bright clean and well maintained. Very thoughtful having the family rooms, and I noticed the owners even provided hair dryers  The sitting area looks like a cozy place to relax. Well done JSS Designs Inc!

Team KBT
    Architecture: TNT Terry
    Interior Design: BrennaW
    Landscaper: Kitkat

Applewood Dreams
    http://www.4shared.com/dir/BMFJjEIH/Applewood_Dreams.html
    http://s1013 http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/pictures/slides...W/recentuploads?view=slideshow

Applewood Dreams is full of New England charm; its style is very typical of the area with its light coloured wood siding, and white trim. I see buildings like this everywhere, so you have really captured the theme perfectly. I love the dormer windows, the trellis work, the front porch and the expansive decking, for guests to unwind and take in the views. The landscaping looks well established and is really pretty. I love the sign on the way in, the spot to leave your bikes, and the little orchard. Who doesn’t enjoy picking apples at this time of year? The interiors are just as inviting as the exterior, with the traditional décor, and classic pieces of furniture. The dining room is very well placed with gorgeous views, and the sitting room looks like a cozy place to spend the evening. My favourite room?………….well it has to be the wine cellar, no need to walk to the pub. Super job Team KBT!

Starbuckle
    Architecture: Garbuckle
    Interior Design: Kelren
    Landscaper: Tristarin

Maple Bed And Breakfast.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4pbdi8b0fr5ciu5
    http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz155/tristarin...tion=view&current=34e501d0.pbw
    http://s826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/kelren/?a...tion=view&current=e23b8829.pbw

The Maple is another beautiful example of New England style architecture with the sunny yellow siding and white trim. I love the wrap around porches, the welcoming entrance and the pretty pergola. I like how you have extended the landscaping beyond the picket fence, and the way you created a formal garden, but still gave it a cottage feel. The bridge is cute, and the herb garden is a nice touch. Even though you did not have some of the brightly coloured trees, this lot still feels like those early days of fall, when you don’t want summer to be over quite yet. I love the fact you have lots of fireplaces for the chilly evenings, and the sitting room looks like a nice spot to read or have a cup of tea. The bedrooms are beautifully decorated and look well furnished. I like the vibrant entrance hall, with its rich warm colours, although I probably would have chosen different stairs, it looks a little odd being able to see through them. Super job guys!

Well, now on to the winners. After thinking long and hard all week, the winners of the Team Building Challenge #5 are *drumroll*

Team KBT, with Applewood Dreams. You guys did a fantastic job at capturing everything the Chevaliers were looking for, in their little getaway to New England. Congratulations!

I would like to give an honourable mention to Team Starbuckle who came extremely close.
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 6 - An Unusual Client - Starts 11/15 - Hosted by Sherry

Sighing as you collect your things, you think how nice it will be to go home and relax tonight. It is wonderful to finish your project, but it has been hard work. You look at your watch and realize how late it has gotten while you were wrapping up the paperwork for the day. It’s after 6:00! You pick up your keys and start walking toward the door when the phone rings. Staring at the phone uncertainly, you ponder the benefits and risks of ignoring the call. You have almost decided to leave without answering it when you feel a strange compulsion to walk toward the phone. Well, it might be something important you realize as you snatch up the receiver.

“Hello?” you begin breathlessly, completely forgetting that you are still at work and should be telling them where they are calling. There is a brief pause on the other end of the line, and you glance out the window to see the sun slowly sinking below the horizon.
    “Ah, good, you are still there,” a deep voice finally answers. The speaker has a slight accent that you can’t quite place. “We need to meet with you about a building request, would now be a good time?”
    “Well, actually, I was just getting ready to…” you stop momentarily, forgetting what you were about to say. Strange, what was it? Oh yes! “Certainly!” you respond quickly, “Come right over.”
    “Thank you so much, we shall be there in 15 minutes,” the voice informs me.
    That was certainly odd. You put your keys back on the table and walk decisively toward the coffee pot. You might as well make some coffee. Whoever is coming might enjoy a warm drink after being out in the chilly fall weather. Suddenly you realize that you didn’t even get their name. You take a deep breath and let it out slowly as apprehension builds in your chest. It is rather silly to feel so nervous. They were probably busy during the day and couldn’t call until just now.

The smell of fresh coffee fills the air as you walk over to the couch to straighten the pillows. Your shoes echo against the tile floor, making you feel very small and alone. The light in the room seems far too dim against the darkness of the night, and you turn on a couple of lamps. The sharp knock on the door startles you and your knee hits the table as you turn around. You walk awkwardly toward the door, trying to rub your knee as you go.
    Still, slightly bent over, you pull the door open and see a well dressed man and woman who appear to be in their early 30’s. They both have dark hair and strangely colored eyes and appear a little pale. Suddenly the cold air hits you and sends a shiver down your spine. Pulling the door open wider you force a smile and extend your arm into the room to show them in. The man angles his head slightly and the corners of his mouth curve up slightly, but the smile never reaches his eyes. There is an awkward silence for a moment and then he says, “I am Dimitri Lupei and this is my wife, Amaranth. I believe we spoke earlier on the phone.”

“Yes, yes,” you assure him. “Won’t you sit down while I get you a cup of coffee?” You begin walking toward the coffeepot before you realize they are still standing outside the door. Dimitri glances at his wife before returning his gaze to me. “Isn’t it cold out there?” you ask. “Please shut the door before we lose all the heat!” The couple both have a slight frown on their face, but neither one of them moves. “Oh for goodness sake, come in!” you exclaim, losing your patience a little bit. At that they both step through the door and move toward the couch. You stare at them incredulously before turning back toward the coffee. “Would you like cream or sugar?” you inquire as you lift the coffeepot.
    “We will not require any beverages, thank you,” Dimitri responds very gravely.
    This night is getting stranger by the minute you think as you carry your own coffee mug over to the seating area . “Dimitri, Amaranth, please sit so we may discuss your request.” Dimitri removes his long, um, cape?, before he and his wife take a seat on the couch. “Now, please tell me what brings you out at this hour,” you request staring at the couple curiously. Amaranth’s long hair curls slightly at the ends, framing her oval face. You find it difficult to look away from her eyes. They seem to be almost silver and glowing from where you are sitting. It must be a trick of the lighting.

“I apologize for the late hour, but our days are otherwise occupied. We are new to Sunset Valley,” Amaranth begins, “so we would like to build a new home here.” She smiles at Dimitri as she continues, her teeth flashing white in the dim light. “You see, we just came from overseas and moved into the city, but it is just not to our taste. We would prefer a larger home out in the country.”
    “That is what I’m here for,” you assure her, still riveted by her silver gaze. “Just give me some details so we can get started.”
    “Something with a historic feel , it should be on a fairly large lot,” Dimitri offers. “And we prefer natural materials, especially stone.”
    You turn your attention to him. “Historic, like art nouveau, vernacular, Victorian, Romanesque…” you trail off, waiting for a response.
    “Well, no, I was thinking more, I don’t know, medieval, I suppose.” At this Dimitri smiled again in the same manner, not quite reaching his eyes.
    “Medieval? Like a castle?” you laugh a little, uncertain of his meaning.
    “Yes! Exactly! A castle would be sooo charming!” Amaranth exclaims.
    You are a little taken aback by their request, never actually having built a castle before. “Well, I don’t know. It is rather unusual, and will be quite expensive…” you inform them rather uncertainly.

Dimitri looks at me seriously, his eyes seem to have a slightly red tint to them. “Money is no object. We can pay you very well for your time, and we have heard you are the best in the area.”
    You suddenly feel quite confident in your ability to build them a castle. “Well, then. Just tell me what you will require in your new home, er, castle.”
    “We both love the outdoors, although we are mostly outside at night, so lighting is important. And I would love to have room for a flower garden. Maybe even a pond of some sort? Or a moat! Oh! And we will definitely need a basement.” Amaranth provides.
    “Yes, a basement is essential. Also, I think 4 bedrooms and a study should be sufficient. A large master bedroom and bathroom and some indoor entertainment, as well as somewhere to entertain guests” Dimitri adds. “We prefer darker colors and stone as I mentioned earlier. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us. The evenings are the best time to reach us.”
    You are feeling a little overwhelmed, but still confident that you can provide the Lupei’s with the home, er, castle, of their dreams. “Okay, is there a budget we need to keep in mind?”
    “Price is no object,” they both answer at once.
    Well then, I’ll contact my team and we’ll get started right away!

It was not until long after they had left that you realized you had not seen a car…

Challenge Details:
    Castle
    No budget
    Large lot
    Outdoor lighting
    Pond or moat
    Basement
    4 bedrooms and study
    Large master bedroom and bathroom
    Indoor entertainment (for the Lupei's)
    Somewhere to entertain guests
    Stone and dark colors

If you would like to download the Lupei's, they are here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3387794#
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 7: Winter Wonderland - Hosted by Kitkat

Wow! The holiday season has come and gone, and business is booming in the new year. Just as you get off the phone with the Lupei’s from discussing some questions related to the finishing touches on their castle, your secretary buzzes to let you know that your noon appointment has arrived.

“Thanks, Christy! Go ahead and show them in.” You’re excited to meet the brother and sister duo who have an exciting new job for you.

Cliff and Bunny Loveland walk in, exuding energy. The pair is dressed in outfits that immediately put you in mind of the ski slopes.

“Hi, I’m Bunny, and this is my brother, Cliff!” You hold out your hand as they make introductions introductions. Cliff pumps your hand vigorously and smiles broadly. Bunny does the same. “Please sit down,” you say, indicating for the two to take seats. Energy and excitement just seem to ooze from this pair.

Cliff takes a seat and launches into an explanation. “As we’ve explained on the phone, we’ve recently acquired some land in the hills of Sunset Valley. Our Great Uncle Erik Crumplebottom died young, and he and his wife Agnes didn’t have any kids. We were Great Aunt Agnes’s favorite niece and nephew, and she left us the Crumplebottom land outside Sunset Valley when she passed away last year.”

“Gosh, I miss her!” interjects Bunny. “She was so great! She used to take us camping out there all the time.”

“Yes,” says Cliff. “We really learned an appreciation of the land from Aunt Agnes. We feel so privileged that she left us this inheritance. We’ve been thinking of how we can use it to honor her memory in a way that we think she would approve of.”

“We want to open up a ski resort in Sunset Valley!” interjects Bunny, unable to contain her enthusiasm.

Cliff smiles and nods. “We love the outdoors and are avid skiers ourselves. There are several peaks on the land which are covered in snow for much of the ski season. We’ll start out small with a lodge and a couple of runs on one of the peaks. Hopefully we can expand the slopes as the business grows. The lodge might even be perfect for that weekend getaway in the mountains in the off season as well. ”

“So,” says Bunny, “what we need you to do is survey the land to decide what the best location for the lodge would be. We’d like for it to be at the base of the runs. We can expand the slopes out from the lodge area. We’d love a bar, restaurant, and a place for the skiers to relax between runs. Of course, a store with ski rentals and gear will be a necessity as well.”

“A couple of guest rooms would be great if you can fit them in,” adds Cliff. We want this to be a first class resort with all the amenities.”

You can’t help but become excited by the enthusiasm of the Loveland siblings. “Have you thought about what design style you’d like to go with?” you ask.

“Well,” says Bunny, “I really like a modern style. Maybe kind of a retro 60’s look with lots of chrome, wood, glass, and funky patterns. Not too crazy on the patterns and colors though – I’d like it to have an updated and sophisticated point of view. Cliff is more into the rustic lodge look though. We’ll trust your decision as the designer. Which style do think would fit the job best?”

“I tell you what,” you say. “I’ll put a couple of my best design teams on the job. That way, you’ll have more than one option to choose from.”

“Sounds great!” they chime in unison.

“Do you have a budget in mind for this job?”

The two glance at each other before answering. “Well,” Cliff ventures, “we’re going to go ‘all in” on this. Aunt Agnes left us the bulk of her estate as well as the land, and we figure we should make use of it for the business rather than hording it or using it for our own entertainment. That means $350,000 is what we’ll have available.”

You nod. “We should be able to build you a dream lodge at that rate!” As you show the Lovelands out, visions of fireplaces, hot tubs, and ski slopes begin to dance through your head…

Design Brief:

-Build a ski lodge at the base of the slopes
    -Build on any 60x60 or larger lot in Sunset Valley
    - Style should be updated and sophisticated take on 60’s retro or rustic lodge look
    -Required elements
    *Bar/restaurant (can be combo or separate areas)
    *clothing/gear store
    *4 guest rooms w/ attached baths
    *Interior and exterior relaxation areas for skiers
    -Give some thought to terraforming!
    -Budget is 350,000
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 7: Winter Wonderland - Hosted by Kitkat

Wow! The holiday season has come and gone, and business is booming in the new year. Just as you get off the phone with the Lupei’s from discussing some questions related to the finishing touches on their castle, your secretary buzzes to let you know that your noon appointment has arrived.

“Thanks, Christy! Go ahead and show them in.” You’re excited to meet the brother and sister duo who have an exciting new job for you.

Cliff and Bunny Loveland walk in, exuding energy. The pair is dressed in outfits that immediately put you in mind of the ski slopes.

“Hi, I’m Bunny, and this is my brother, Cliff!” You hold out your hand as they make introductions introductions. Cliff pumps your hand vigorously and smiles broadly. Bunny does the same. “Please sit down,” you say, indicating for the two to take seats. Energy and excitement just seem to ooze from this pair.

Cliff takes a seat and launches into an explanation. “As we’ve explained on the phone, we’ve recently acquired some land in the hills of Sunset Valley. Our Great Uncle Erik Crumplebottom died young, and he and his wife Agnes didn’t have any kids. We were Great Aunt Agnes’s favorite niece and nephew, and she left us the Crumplebottom land outside Sunset Valley when she passed away last year.”

“Gosh, I miss her!” interjects Bunny. “She was so great! She used to take us camping out there all the time.”

“Yes,” says Cliff. “We really learned an appreciation of the land from Aunt Agnes. We feel so privileged that she left us this inheritance. We’ve been thinking of how we can use it to honor her memory in a way that we think she would approve of.”

“We want to open up a ski resort in Sunset Valley!” interjects Bunny, unable to contain her enthusiasm.

Cliff smiles and nods. “We love the outdoors and are avid skiers ourselves. There are several peaks on the land which are covered in snow for much of the ski season. We’ll start out small with a lodge and a couple of runs on one of the peaks. Hopefully we can expand the slopes as the business grows. The lodge might even be perfect for that weekend getaway in the mountains in the off season as well. ”

“So,” says Bunny, “what we need you to do is survey the land to decide what the best location for the lodge would be. We’d like for it to be at the base of the runs. We can expand the slopes out from the lodge area. We’d love a bar, restaurant, and a place for the skiers to relax between runs. Of course, a store with ski rentals and gear will be a necessity as well.”

“A couple of guest rooms would be great if you can fit them in,” adds Cliff. We want this to be a first class resort with all the amenities.”

You can’t help but become excited by the enthusiasm of the Loveland siblings. “Have you thought about what design style you’d like to go with?” you ask.

“Well,” says Bunny, “I really like a modern style. Maybe kind of a retro 60’s look with lots of chrome, wood, glass, and funky patterns. Not too crazy on the patterns and colors though – I’d like it to have an updated and sophisticated point of view. Cliff is more into the rustic lodge look though. We’ll trust your decision as the designer. Which style do think would fit the job best?”

“I tell you what,” you say. “I’ll put a couple of my best design teams on the job. That way, you’ll have more than one option to choose from.”

“Sounds great!” they chime in unison.

“Do you have a budget in mind for this job?”

The two glance at each other before answering. “Well,” Cliff ventures, “we’re going to go ‘all in” on this. Aunt Agnes left us the bulk of her estate as well as the land, and we figure we should make use of it for the business rather than hording it or using it for our own entertainment. That means $350,000 is what we’ll have available.”

You nod. “We should be able to build you a dream lodge at that rate!” As you show the Lovelands out, visions of fireplaces, hot tubs, and ski slopes begin to dance through your head…

Design Brief:

-Build a ski lodge at the base of the slopes
    -Build on any 60x60 or larger lot in Sunset Valley
    - Style should be updated and sophisticated take on 60’s retro or rustic lodge look
    -Required elements
    *Bar/restaurant (can be combo or separate areas)
    *clothing/gear store
    *4 guest rooms w/ attached baths
    *Interior and exterior relaxation areas for skiers
    -Give some thought to terraforming!
    -Budget is 350,000
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 7 Teams and Results

1. Team Esmelle - Scoiattolo, architecture MystiqueBlue, landscape Leebeejeebee, interiors
    2. KCK Concepts - Architecture – Kaybea, Landscaping - Cera13, Interior Designer - Kimwriter75
    3. ArchitectKOman123,Chiaopi Interior Designer, ClarkFamilySims Landscaper
    4. Team Rockstar - Krisque-architechture, Bergcrys-decor, Nam24601-landscaping

Looking for a team:

5. Garbuckle3000 & Whisperingtruth are looking for a landscaper...
    edited March 2011

Challenge 8 - And then there were three - - Hosted by Jasnik

Back from their relaxing break at Applewood Dreams bed and breakfast, where they had a wonderful time, Andre and Marianne Chevalier settle back into the routine of everyday life. Fortunately Andres hours have settled down a little too, and the couple have had more time to spend together. I guess it was no surprise to Marianne when she discovered she was pregnant. She was so excited and couldn't wait to share the news with Andre when he returned form work. After dinner, Marianne broke the news to her husband. Andre was just as happy as Marianne, and as he took her in his arms hugging her tenderly, he whispered "I guess this means we need a bigger home". The couple held hands and gazed into each others eyes, then Andre gently kissed Marianne's cheeks, and they curled up to watch a movie together.

Screenshot-17.jpg

Several weeks later Marianne received a phone call from her mother in Paris, saying that her dear grandmother Renee, had passed away. Marianne was very upset as she had always been close to her Grandmother. She has fond memories of spending time at grandma Renee's house in the french countryside, it was always nice to get away from the city during school holidays. Marianne would often help her grandfather in the small vineyard they had, or help grandma in the kitchen. Marianne decided now would be the perfect time to cheer her mother up, and bring some joyous news to the family, and since all was going well with the pregnancy, she told her mother that she was expecting their first baby. The news was indeed well received and both Marianne, and her mothers tears of sadness turned to joy. Hanging up the phone, and drying her eyes, Marianne decided it would be nice for her and Andre, to take a walk in the park.

Screenshot-2.jpg

Over the next few months, the Chevaliers search for a home had not really turned up anything suitable. Most of the houses for sale in town were either too modern, too big, or needed some serious renovation

Screenshot-5.jpg

Feeling a little frustrated, and worried that the baby may come before they move home, the Chevaliers headed home.

Screenshot-4.jpg

A few weeks later, Marianne was woken up with dull pains in her tummy, and realizing the baby was on its way, she woke Andre. Andre escorted Marianne to the hospital, and finally the Chevaliers were blessed with a new baby boy.

Once the craziness of being new parents had settled a little, Andre and Marianne got back to house hunting. They decided to take another trip to the Estate Agents.

TBCEstateAgents.png

As they stepped inside and had a look around, they were greeted by a gentleman who asked if they needed any help. "Actually yes, we are looking for a new home, and have not had much luck", explained Marianne. "As you can see we have just had a new baby, and are anxious to move as soon as possible", said Andre.

Screenshot-14.jpg

"I see", said the gentleman now sitting at his desk. "What exactly are you looking for"? "Well, I think we will need four bedrooms as we do plan for our new baby to have a sibling or two" Marianne said as she gave a glancing smile to Andre. "yes he replied, and I would need a study for work, and a garage with room for bikes would be great". "Since we grew up in the city, it would be lovely to have a nice garden for our son to play in". "And finally", said Marianne, "I would like to have a rustic country feel to the home, with some grapes in the garden to remind me of my late Grandma Renee".

Screenshot-12.jpg

The estate agent looked at Andre and said "I see your problem, we really don't have anything like that on the market at the moment. However I do know of a team of builders that have a fantastic portfolio, and come highly recommended. We could send them your requirements and your house can be ready in just three weeks. How does that sound"? The chevaliers looked at each other, realizing the wait would be worth it for their perfect home, they turned to the gentleman and at the same time said "that sounds perfect".

Your challenge is to build the Chevaliers new family home. Marianne's grandmother Renee had left her $100,000, an antique chair, a dresser and a mirror, and she intends to use them in their new home. I will be downloading and playing all lots, to see which one the Chevaliers like most, as well as my usual voting method.
    NO CC PLEASE.

Requirements

You have a budget of $175,000
    You may build anywhere in Sunset Valley
    4 bedrooms
    Study
    Garage with room for bikes (bicycles)
    good sized garden (don't forget the grape vines)
    You must use Grandma Renee's antique furniture (design these yourselves)
    Rustic French country feel
    NO THIRD PARTY CC
    you may use store stuff and patterns
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 8 Entries and Results

Teams for Challenge 8

Looking for a Team:
    1. ZYisSims

1 Team KCK Concepts will be participating.
    Kimwriter75 - Interiors
    Cera13 - Landscaping
    Kaybea - Architecture

2 Team Nestlé
    Architecture: garbuckle3000
    Landscaping: KittKat7147
    Interior Design: Chocolates2009

3 Team Essemelle is up for the next challenge, too!
    Architecture: Scoiattolo
    Landscaping: MystiqueBlue
    Interiors: Leebeejeebee

4 Team Flying without a License
    KOman12-architect
    Simmerwithskill-interior
    Clarkfamilysims-landscaping

ReesesPiecesNo1 - Architecture
    Whisperingtruth - Interiors
    Flobobunny - Landscaping

6 'Old'uns and a Young'un'
    Architecture - Hazentw
    Landscaping - SillyCailey
    Interiors - PrincessNatasha
    edited March 2011
    Challenge 9 - A Sweet Challenge

As you reflect on your previous jobs you realize the last two clients were very challenging in their own unique way. It was difficult to keep on schedule with the sheer size of the projects, and you find yourself hoping for something smaller and more manageable. When you hear the knock on your door, you jump up, eagerly anticipating a fresh start, with new ideas and innovations.

Screenshot-327.jpg

Not knowing what to expect, you pull open the door to two beaming faces. You realize at once that they must be brother and sister. The blond hair and blue eyes lend a cherubic quality to their appearance, and they are both grinning from ear to ear as you introduce yourself and invite them in.

Screenshot-392.jpg

“Good morning! What can I do for you today?” you ask, unable to prevent your own grin from escaping.

“Hello!” the young man exclaims. “I am Hansel, and this is my sister, Gretel. We are new in town, and are looking for a small house in the suburbs. Not too secluded, you understand, but we both enjoy nature and the outdoors. We don’t have a lot of money, but have saved up a little bit together. Something under 100,000 simoleons is preferred, but we can go as high as 130,000 with a little help from our father.”

Screenshot-486.jpg

“I see. That is certainly something I can help you with,” you assure them.

“Please tell me some more about what you are looking for in a home, and I will
    get my best people on it!”

“Well, it is just my sister and I, so nothing too large, but we would each like our own space to get away. Two bedrooms and two bathrooms for privacy, and an open kitchen, living, and dining area would meet our essential requirements.”

“That will be no problem!” You relax, smiling as you realize this sounds like a simple job.

Screenshot-444.jpg

“And also,” Hansel adds, “security is important to us. We are somewhat intimidated by strangers due to some unfortunate events in our past, and so we like to feel safe when we are at home.”

“I am sure that we can provide you with top notch security. Is there anything else?” you inquire, already enjoying the calm weeks ahead.

“There is one more thing,” Hansel explains. “We have always dreamed of a home made entirely of candy and desserts, or as close as we can get to that. We like bright colors and all kinds of sweets. ”

Screenshot-473.jpg

You shake your head a bit, not quite certain that you have heard him correctly. “I’m sorry, did you say made of candy?”

“Yes!” Gretel smiles as she answers eagerly. “We do love any kind of sugary confections, and have often wanted our own candy home. I personally am very fond of gingerbread.”

Screenshot-439.jpg

You frown in concentration as you look down at your hands. It suddenly appears that you will have more of a challenge than it first seemed, but as you stand to show the pair out, the wheels in your head are already turning. After all, that is why you started in this business, to use your creativity and imagination. As the door closes behind Hansel and his sister, a broad smile begins to show on your face. This could be really fun!

Screenshot-499.jpg

I would like to ask once again that you use no CC so that I may judge them all in game if possible. I have tried to judge solely on the pictures, but it seems to be much fairer viewing the actual lots. It is still a good idea to take high quality pictures as I may be missing an item or two you have used.

edited March 2011
    Challenge 9 Entries and Results
    edited March 2011
    Please do not post any comments on this thread.

If you would like to make any comments, please do so in our Official Thread - http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/227188.page , as we need this thread chat-free so that it can serve as an archive only

If you want to compete in the current challenge, please visit the Official Thread at: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/227188.page

Thank you,

Kitkat :D
  • TeamBuildTeamBuild Posts: 54
    edited November 2011
    Challenge #6 Entries: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/240/278556.page#4196097
    Challenge #6 Results: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/390/278556.page#4536119
    Challenge #7 Entries:
    Starting here - http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/420/278556.page
    Challenge #7 Results: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/600/278556.page#4834183
    Challenge #8 Entries: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/465/278556.page#4629990
    Challenge #8 Results: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/660/278556.page#5018365
    Challenge #9 Entries: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/600/278556.page#4832614
    Challenge 9 Results: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/765/278556.page#5318349

Challenge 10 ^^^^ (goes in above post)

Challenge #10:

Customer: Sunset Valley City Council

Assignment: Art Gallery and Gardens

Preferred Style: The city council would prefer something that will blend seamlessly with the architecture in downtown Sunset Valley. You will be replacing the existing Art Gallery in the city center with a more updated building. The council feels that the existing buildig has an unfortunately dated late 70’s/early 80’s approach to modern. They would like a new approach to a modern design or, at least, a modern update to the existing architecture. In addition to a gallery building, the council wants a sculpture garden to show off some recently acquired static and water sculpture features. The council has also noticed that gallery attendance has dropped off somewhat now that there are more leisure options in Sunset Valley and the surrounding towns. The best designs will incorporate additional features to draw the interest of the community while still maintaining the integrity of the art gallery.

Lot Size & Address: 31 x 50 540 Mirabello

Budget: The council recognizes that additional art objects and other industrial features will need to be acquired in order to fulfill the contract which could be quite costly. Accordingly, a budget of $750,000 has been set for the project.

OH, And the City Council have absolutely no problem with CC on this project.

Challenge 10 Art Gallery Team Challenge Results

Let me just start by saying that the judging of this challenge was EXTREMELY difficult! There were parts of each build that I truly loved. It came down to a tally of which build had the MOST parts that I loved, and that was part of what took me so long in coming to a decision. And here are my comments in no particular order...

Team: Oldun's and a Young'un

Architecture - Hazentw, Landscape - SillyCailey, Interiors - Princess_Natasha (PN)

Link to Lot
    Architecture - www.mediafire.com/?nvj97v6h25qp09h
    Landscape - www.mediafire.com/?9jvrus7vahpqt7v
    Interiors -

Link to Media
    Architecture - www.slide.com/r/JMXqEMsL4j9zZuD1gKaP_QoD...rl&view=original
    Landscape - www.slide.com/r/nEfM3qrwzj8iBSkKtFxccnK3...rl&view=original
    Interiors - s745.photobucket.com/albums/xx92/_Natash...=Screenshot-32-1.jpg

Great modern update to the existing art gallery building. Cute desk at front entry. Love the key art sculpture. Some nice use of MOO to create sculptures. Love the seating with accompanying artwork. Great modern aesthetic. Nice design in the restrooms. Love the use of the wall/fishtank. Cute different art areas like the modern inventions and artistic food. I was a bit confused by the open air areas - are some of the display areas roofless? Lovely art areas interspersed with some areas that the entire community can enjoy. Food inspired dressed mural in the cafe is fantastic! The color blocks on the exterior building are great. Fantastic fountains and art displays outside. Love the multiple roof-top terraces. Great sculpture garden - there's a treat around every corner!

Team IFW Builders

Itguyinsc - Architecture, Whisperingtruth - Interiors, Flobobunny - Landscaping

Love the Bauhaus architecture – nice job! The openness and natural light inside are perfect for the gallery. I like the multiple levels. Nice work on creating lots of different spaces for different types of displays. I allowed CC on this one thinking people would need it for art options, but you have done a great job of using the in-game décor to create your art displays. The different cultural displays are a fantastic idea. Love, love the education rooms downstairs! Great work on the curator’s office – very sophisticated décor. Nice, relaxing café area. Moving outside, the landscaping blends with the architecture seamlessly. Love that you provided some parking. The Zen sculpture garden is lovely. I really like the blend of the sand, rock, and water.

Team Flying without a Licence

KOman123 - Architect, ClarkFamilySims - Landscaping, SimmerwithSkill - Interiors

I love how the building is situated on the lot. The diagonal entrance facing the corner lends drama and invites visitors in. The stairs tucked in under the overhand give more visual interest to the entrance. Nice landscaping out front. Love the fountains and potted plants. I love all the little areas in the sculpture garden and how you’ve named each one. Cute that the area students also have an exhibit! The art exhibits outside are quirky and eclectic in spots, a very inviting approach. The interior is cozy and approachable. I like the antiquities exhibit in the entrance. Interesting glassed in exhibits. Lots of wall space for paintings.

Team - The Mod Squad

Team members & roles: Sherry1968 - Architectur, Cera13 - Landscaping, Kimwriter75 - Interiors

Link to lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4042782

Link to media: http://s1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/SimKim75/...20Gallery/?albumview=slideshow

Very modern architecture. Love the expansive windows. Nice exterior exhibits. The glimpses of the interior exhibits look very realistic. As you said, the emphasis in on the art, not the walls. Cute café space. Like that you added a bar – very trendy in art galleries. Love the “egg” barstools in the café. Gift shop is a nice touch! Lighting of wall artwork is nice as well. Is that an aquarium display? Cool! Like the use of free-standing walls to add extra display space and the strategic placement of seating. The painting studio with objects for still life painting is genius! Water features and ponds all around the building is striking.

Team ?

Team members & roles: Scoiattolo - architecture, Bellili - landscaping, Mystiqueblue - interiors

Link to lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4098858

Link to media: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/fallenmystique/Sims 3 Comp/Team Challenge 10/?albumview=slideshow
    Architecture:http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab173/Scoiattolo9/Team Challenge 10/?albumview=slideshow
    Landscaping: https://picasaweb.google.com/110835890751108669100/TeamBuildingChallenge2?authkey=Gv1sRgCPqy096cq6_BEQ#

Striking architectural features. Like the skylight work. Nice terraforming of lot. Good work with CFE to create the pillars. Love the underground parking. Nice interior layout with plenty of galleries. Like the idea of including a theater for screenings. Love the plant combinations in the landscaping. Clumping of rocks is nice as well. Lovely outdoor seating area in the sculpture garden. I like the way the sculptures are highlighted. Clever creation of planter in this area with foundations and ½ walls. The formal walks and geometric planting areas go well with the architecture. Interesting exhibit ideas. The movie gallery is quite creative. Very nice layout of the Egyptian exhibit. Love the outdoor terrace in the café area.

And the winning team is...

item

Team IFW!!! Congrats on a superb build which excelled in all three areas :)
    edited November 2011
    Challenge 11

Team Building Challenge #11 – Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue.

The Chevaliers settled into their new home wonderfully, they have enjoyed many trips to the beach, and the local park. Damien is learning to talk and gets excited when Andre gets home from work. Renee Rose has begun to smile, and is beginning to sleep through the night. Andre continues to do well at work, and Marianne is perfectly happy staying home to bring up the little Chevaliers.
    Screenshot-81.jpg
    Screenshot-83.jpg
    A few months after their move, Andre’s sister Celine, called with news of her engagement to Philippe, her childhood sweetheart. She was really excited, as she explained how they intended to come to Sunset Valley for their wedding. Celine went on explaining how she and Philippe had heard all about the new venue to be built, and wanted to be one of the first to be married there. Also they were very much looking forward to spending time with Andre and Marianne, and finally meeting Damien and Renee Rose. Andre congratulated his sister, he agreed to help with the arrangements, and sending his love he hung up the phone.

Screenshot-90.jpg

Screenshot-91.jpg

The next day Andre set to work gathering information for his sister and her fiancée. A trip to the town hall revealed, that there was indeed plans for a new wedding venue in Sunset Valley, and the mayor had just given the go ahead for work to begin at 12 Sim Lane. "The contractors are ready to go, and the entire project should be finished by the beginning of June", the mayor said. “Hmmm, this sounds perfect, thought Andre, it’s exactly what Celine and Philippe want”. Before heading home, Andre stopped by the local bakery, and florist, to get some information on cakes and flowers, to send to his sister.

Screenshot-92.jpg

When Andre arrived home Damien was waiting eagerly at the door. He knew the sound of daddy’s footsteps coming along the path, and always looked forward to Andre playing with him when he got home. As always, Andre scooped Damien up and tickled him, then they took a walk around the garden together. Marianne greeted Andre, and they shared the day’s events. Marianne offered to mail all the information Andre had gathered, to his sister in France first thing in the morning.

Screenshot-86.jpg
    Screenshot-88.jpg

Your challenge is to create the perfect wedding venue for Celine and Philippe. I say venue because I realize not everyone gets married in a church. Of course I would love to see some churches, or if you are not that way inclined, then anything goes. This is where I got married http://www.countryhouseweddings.co.uk/leez-priory/

The specifics.

* Build on 12 Sim Lane
    * A place for the service to be held
    * A place to sign the register
    * Guest seating
    * No budget
    * No cc please
    * Bathrooms
    * A good spot for photos
    * A place to have the reception party afterward, including tables for a sit down dinner, a dance floor, bar area, and don’t forget a display for the cake.
    * This is the wedding colour scheme. This does not mean that I expect you to colour everything these colours, it is purely so that the wedding venue will actually tie in with the bridesmaids etc. So think more of accent colour rather than floor to ceiling blue.
    COLOURloverscom-TB_Wedding_theme.jpg

Deadlines

Phase 1 Sun May 22nd
    Phase 2 Sun May 29th
    Final Phase Sun June 5th

edited November 2011
    Challenge 11 Entries and Results

Finally the results for Team Build 11 - Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue.

Its a shame we had a couple of teams unable to make the finish, I still enjoyed watching the progress and looking at the final entries we did get. I can see that each team has put a lot of thought into what makes for the perfect wedding day. And we have had some really creative and beautiful designs. Without further ado, here are my comments in no particular order. A big well done to all of you.

KFW builders - Cherished Hearts Chapel
    Architecture-Katesterling
    Landscaping-Flobobunny
    Interiors-Whisperingtruth

Such a pretty chapel, so much old world character. The bell is a really nice feature. You have used the lot position really well, making the most of the corner angle, and is a great addition to the town. The tower really adds so much charm, and the stonework is lovely. The landscaping is stunning, it complements the chapel beautifully and I really love how you have mixed the fencing with the hedge in that way. There are some nice spots for pictures, and the pergola is lovely, with a unique roof line. The ceremony room is pretty, I like that you included a piano. Nice dining and entertainment area too. I am a little confused why you left the 2nd floor empty and crammed everything into the 1st floor. It would have been nice to make use of the space.

Honeymoon Hotel and Resort.

Architecture - Kay
    Landscaping - Sherry
    Interiors - Kim

Impressive build, looks just like a resort hotel that you would find in many holiday destinations. I really like the blue panels you used as a design element for the
    exterior of the build. I would have expected to see more windows. The penthouse suites are fabulous, really well laid out with just about everything the newlyweds could possibly want. I love how you have used the huge windows looking out onto the balcony and the beautiful views. You did a fantastic job with the function suite, you stuck to the colour scheme really well and the wall pattern looks wonderful. I like the benches you used for the guests to witness the wedding. The landscaping is beautiful and the pool is very creative. I love the addition of the bridges for the wedding ceremony, and the palm trees really help with the honeymoon escape feel. Lots of nice spots for photo's.

Mavello Church

Architecture - Mossorator
    Landscaping - Kittkat
    Interiors - Scoiatollo

Lovely build, fits into town very well. I like the varying roof lines and the towers. The stonework gives it character and an older feel to the building. The entrance is nice and would make for some nice pics. The ceremony room is beautiful and reflects the colour scheme very well. I like that you included a place to sign the register, and a place for the bride to prepare herself. It was also thoughtful to provide for the little ones that may arrive at the wedding. The viewing balcony is a nice idea too. The gardens are very pretty, with some nice photo opportunities. I particularly like the pergolas for the happy couple to sneak off for a little peace and quiet. The grounds to the left of the building seem a little bare in contrast to the rest.

And now for the winning Team. Drum roll please ..................................................

Congratulations goes to KFW builders.

Cherished Hearts Chapel looks stunning in town and will make for a wonderful wedding for Celine and Philippe.
    edited November 2011
    Challenge #12 -- A Light in the Park

The Sunset Valley city council has requested a meeting with you on Monday morning, and you are eagerly awaiting their visit. Your past projects with them have been very successful, and paid very well. As you wait for your meeting, you wonder what their next project could be.

The doorbell breaks your reverie, and you jump up to invite the visitors in. Smiling brightly, you open the door to a middle aged gentleman with graying hair. He is slightly taller than you, and his broad shoulders fill the door frame.

“Good morning,” you greet him and introduce yourself as you hold out your hand. “Please come in.”

“Thank you,” he replies. “My name is Brett Smith. I’m a member of the city council. I’m so glad you have time to take on a new project. I’ve seen your work, and I know you will do an outstanding job!”

He continues as you offer him a seat, “Our last inspection of the Sunset Valley light house revealed problems with the structural integrity of the building. Unfortunately, we will have to completely tear down the lighthouse and rebuild it from the ground up. We would like for you to create a park using recycled materials from the old lighthouse at 500 Sunnyside Blvd. We are unable to permit the public access to the official lighthouse Sunnyside Island for safety and security purposes, so the council feels this will give the townspeople an opportunity to enjoy the lighthouse experience in safety. We feel that you may either rebuild the current structure in its entirety, or you may create a new design and structure to fit in with the park you create.”

“Well, that sounds like quite a challenge, but I’m sure we can deliver above and beyond your every expectation,” you respond eagerly. “Just send me the details, and let me know when we can break ground. I will start putting a team together right away!”

You stand and shake Brett’s hand before walking him to the door. He promises to get you the details in the next day or two, and your mind is spinning with ideas as you close the door.

Project specifications:

> Lighthouse built at 500 Sunnyside Blvd on a 40x40 lot.
    > There should be basic living quarters for the park staff, and they may be contained in the lighthouse or in a separate building.
    > A place should be provided for indoor recreational activities as well. This also may be separate or connected.
    > A picnic area, public bathrooms, and outdoor activities for sims of all ages.
    > No budget!
    > No CC please. Store content is fine.
    > If you do not have Generations or Ambitions, and you cannot provide access to the upper lighthouse levels, that is fine. Please just note this on your entry. (Ambitions provides the fireman’s pole.)

Project Due Dates

Phase 1 due Sunday, June 19
    Phase 2 due Sunday, June 26
    Phase 3 due sunday, July 3
    edited November 2011
    Challenge 12 Entries

Completed teams:

The Smokin' PJs
    Jasnik82 - architect Phase 1: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: Crocodile Rock was inspired by the beautiful Lizard Lighthouse, in Cornwall England. It is a victorian building with much charm, and is still standing strong today. My focus was of course the lighthouse itself, I wanted it to stand over the rest of the lot, so I kept the main building on just one floor. I terraformed the land to make the main building visible from the entrance of the park, and over the ticket office. I kept the original white exterior and added driftwood columns for a nice seaside theme, that complemented the white buildings. Inside I wanted to create space for a ticket office, since visitors will flock to see this wonderful historic building, its artifacts, and its beatiful gardens. I also left plenty of space for displaying objects of importance and places to have fun too. And lastly living accomodation for the brave sims that work tirelessly to keep our seasims safe.
    Peacemaker_ic - landscaper Phase 2: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: The gardens surrounding crocodile rock lighthouse are designed to welcome the visitors to this important heritage location. mimicking the pale colours of the buildings, the mature magnolias provided shade for many of the outdoor activities while lightly filling the air with the sweet scent of its large creamy flowers.
    Ornamental pear trees line the entrance into this historic site drawing the eye inwards. it adds structure to the gardens without seeming formal and ornate. The addition of the pampas grass, white hydrangeas and yellow lilac accentuate the structure and its age with the pale colours and graceful presence.
    The small pond overlooked by one of two gazebos is a tranquil reminder of the inland lakes that the many caretakers left behind in order to tend to their duties during the lifetime of this fine building. One can just sit and watch the ripples created by the fish swimming around reminded of the ocean and the change from a tranquil mirror like surface to a harsh, unforgiving force.
    The landscaping is not the only aspect to keep a sim occupied. The are areas for the children to enjoy from a sandbox using the local sand to the tree house constructed by a past caretaker. It offers activities for sims of different ages and is certainly a must see for anyone who pass by this wonderful historic location.
    SmokyTopaz - interiors Phase 3: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: The Lizard Lighthouse is a beautiful and vital piece of West Cornwall history, and it’s guided mariners across the surrounding ocean since 1752 when it was constructed. The Lizard Lighthouse sits on West Cornwall’s most southerly point, and its Heritage Centre tells the fascinating tales of its keepers, their families and how it was built. This lighthouse, Crocodile Rock, is based on it. In the rl lighthouse there is a sort of museum with various collections in it, now ours also has a display area where people can marvel at the debris from wrecks. The basement living area is obviously utilitarian as the men who looked after the lighthouse rotated their duties and life was ever a bit spartan on a rock. The entrance houses the ticket office and a coffee shop, the proceeds going to the RSLBA (Royal Simmie Life Boat Association). Most people visit for the views and the scenery, but on rainy days there is always the museum and a play area to entertain visitors.

ASK Builders
    AnonymousMist - architect Phase 1: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: When I first saw the challenge I thought...lighthouses are so boring. However I had never actually been inside one (shocking since I live like 5 minutes away from one). SO I wanted to provide lots of space to be a kind of new vibrant community center for any and all kinds of Sims.
    In order to do that I used a clean-lined play on the traditional light house architecture with a bit of retro inspiration. There is a balcony surrounding the top floor so visitors can sit and enjoy a birds-eye-view of the harbour and surrounding areas. A concert area for those musicians and a small area for info booth.
    Scoiattolo - landscape Phase 2: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: Lighthouse Park has outdoor activities for everyone. Kids can play hopscotch or build sandcastles in the Play Area. Adults can swim, drink nectar with friends on the beautifully landscaped terrace, picnic while watching the weekly outdoor concerts with a breathtaking view of the Sunset Valley Lighthouse, or simple sit and enjoy the meditative sounds of the central fountain.
    Kittkat - interiors Phase 3: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: We wanted to provide plenty of space for visitors to have fun indoors as well as out. The information center provides exhibts and research space related to Sunset Valley's maritime history. The game room and snack bar on the first floor has plenty of activities from darts to chess to arcade games and even a music studio. The 2nd floor isn't open to the public but houses the staff lodging area. The 3rd floor contains a cafe where visitors can grab a bite to eat and enjoy the amazing views of the ocean. The fourth floor is an event space available for parties and other functions.

Team KCK Concepts
    KayBea - Architect Phase 1: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: I really wanted to build something out of the box. After conversing with my fellow team mates we decided that a super modern somewhat futuristic lighthouse was the direction that we wanted to take. A lot of my inspiration came from the Las Vegas Stratosphere which I recently got to visit on vacation.
    Defiantly the tallest building in Sunset Valley, the Simstosphere Lighthouse, has the best and most gorgeous views around. The entrance leads underground to maximize outdoor park space.
    Cera13 - Landscaping Phase 2: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: For the Simstrosphere I really wanted to keep the landscape natural and use native plants. The indigenous plantings of beach front Sunset Valley surround the gorgeous park setting of the Simstrophere lighthouse. There is plenty for families to do as well as adequate parking for the long drive from the mountain region. I've included the a Gnubb court, picnic area, playground and large lawn for games of tag or catch. The grounds also feature telescopes for enjoying the views of the ocean as well as chess tables and benches for reading or napping near our entrance fountains.
    Kimwriter75 - Interiors Phase 3: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: There are so many different levels and aspects to Simstroshere. Firstly, This particular lighthouse was representational of an iconic structure for which it got it's name. Elements responsible for this include it's futuristic look and appeal. Starting with the lighthouse itself, the forth deck, one closest to the ground is the lavatory deck complete with waiting area. This has a more posh appearance but is grounded enough for everyday patrons. Third deck is all about family fun. It has a children's play area, arcades and foosball for teen and darts and drinks for the adults. Second level is more common to find young adults hanging with friends or on a date. This floor has the dance floor and a band stand as well. Live entertainment is a must here, but there is a luxurious sofa in the wings for the weary. The first deck is probably the most exclusive with it's private views and limited seating. A more mature audience would be indulged by this level. The bunkhouse serves several function. First, it is the living quarters for the caretakers and second, the main entrance to the lighthouse itself. The first level is the donation room. It features art work of the masterminds of the Simstroshere. There are several donation tables and plenty of history of the lighthouse. From there you descend the stairs which takes you to a hallway that leads to an elevator. Go up and you reach the lighthouse. Down will take you to the staff living quarters. Walking into the staff living quarters is like walking into home. Lavish decor ornaments this small confined space and makes it breathable. There are computer work stations and a television viewing area. The kitchen is small, yet functional. There is one bedroom that contains four beds and adequate storage. The washroom is small but serves it's purpose well. I hope you enjoy your tour of Simstroshere Lighthouse.

The ? Team
    Scorpiophoenix - architect Phase 1: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: I wanted to keep the architecture very East Coast with a touch of the South. I wanted the structure to look like it had been there for generations but had been updated and had continual maintenance over the time span. I was influenced by lighthouses up and down the East Coast but especially in the Carolinas and on southward. The architecture needed to look genuine but not rely on trickery or hype to sell it to visitors.
    _Princess_Natasha_ - interiors Phase 2: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: I continued the beach feel/theme that scorpio started when he did the architecture. I used beach and nautical furniture throughout. Filled spaces up with a few plants, especially the light house as it was a (perfectly) small area that needed something to liven it up. Per request, I added a decent amount of indoor activities such as an easel, chess tables, a TV, a little cafe area, bookshelves so Simmies can read, a computer, and a little game room.
    Bergcrys - landscaping Phase 3: Lot/Slideshow
    Details/Rationale: I came in halfway through this because my teammates were short landscaper and I immediately knew where I wanted to go with it upon seeing Scorpiopheonix's architecture. There was plenty of room in the front so I saw most of the activities being there....and i definitely saw a swimmable pond nestled in trees with seating. I think we all wanted it to look very natural grown in. I know we wanted it to look light and beachy as well. In the back I tried to keep it a little more structured by paving the area. There is an area to paint or look at the stars overlooking the back. Two firepit areas in the back are a great place for sims to socialize.

Flying Without a License Did not finish. :(
    KOman123 - architect Phase 1: Lot/Slideshow
    ClarkFamilySims -
    SimmerwithSkill

A Light in the Park Results
    Team Challenge #12

The Question Mark Team:

Screenshot-173.jpg

This build had some serious curb appeal! There was a traditional New England or Southern feel to the building, and although the lighthouse was not terribly tall, it suited the building and also had a traditional feel. The first thing that struck me was that the lot was sunken, meaning most likely it was built or at some time placed on another lot or in another town. That is something to keep in mind when you are building for a challenge as it detracts from the lot. The second thing that I noticed was that the landscaping did not exactly suit the surrounding area (palm trees vs. shade trees, etc), another thing to bear in mind when building for a specific lot or location.

The landscaping was luscious, with lots of flowering plants and shade trees. The picnic area was lovely, and conveniently situated next to the well equipped playground. There were plenty of outdoor activities for everyone. Kudos to the landscaper because I’m going to go out on a limb and say that was the best swimmable pond I have EVER seen in this game. If you don’t believe me, you really need to DL and check it out. It’s awesome!

The interiors were well decorated, and the colors and patterns were well balanced. I found the firepits inside the lighthouse a little strange for my taste. I also wish the staff had a small indoor kitchen, but they can use the outdoor kitchens, grills and firepits. And really, in the game there will not truly be a staff. ;) Also, there was no light in the lighthouse for the ships to see! There is, however, plenty of indoor entertainment, and good sized bathrooms too. Altogether a wonderful simpark!

Team KCK Concepts:

Screenshot-625.jpg

This was a much more modern lighthouse design. I can really appreciate how the landscaping blends almost seamlessly with the surrounding area. I especially love the parking right at the end of the road. There are also plenty of outdoor activities for sims young and old. The fountains in the front were a beautiful decorative touch. The exterior is eye catching, it reminds me of one of those amusement park rides that you go up in to see the park. It was definitely tall enough for warning ships! ;)
    I was pleasantly surprised at the interiors. There was so much variety there, and such a great hangout spot! I love that you had it divided by level into more exclusive clubs. Just needs a bouncer now, lol. The only problem I could see is that anyone outdoors would have a pretty long trek to the bathrooms! I also wish that there had been a brighter light at the top for a more “lighthouse” feel.
    My sim could only use one of the dining chairs in the living quarters, and only one of the desk chairs. This probably could be fixed fairly easily though. Although the staff quarters were underground, they were well equipped and decorated with taste. Everything went well together inside and out.

The Smokin PJ’s

crl_1.png

While the landscaping does not blend seamlessly with the native flora, it is not out of place either. The magnolias and hydrangeas are very beautiful, and I love the meandering stone path. The elevation changes add visual interest to the lot. The lot is tastefully segregated into different areas, each tucked away in their own little corner of the colorful foliage. The gazebos add some sheltered areas to enjoy the outdoors. The telescopes and easels were perfectly situated to take advantage of the beautiful view.
    The traditional architecture is appealing and comfortable. The staff quarters were perfectly placed with steps leading directly into the lighthouse for maintenance, and though spartan, had all the necessary appointments. The interior was small, but had just enough to keep the masses entertained while visiting. They will likely spend most of their time enjoying the grounds and the view.
    I love that you were inspired by a real lighthouse, and the name was very creative. My very favorite part of your rationale was the Royal Simmie Life Boat Association. That had me giggling! All three phases were well done.

ASK Builders

Screenshot-32.jpg

This build also had a more modern flavor. The landscaping was more structured, and there were some great outdoor activities. I really love the pool and the outdoor stage with room for a band. The fountains and paved areas had a more formal feel, but there was still room for a playground to keep the kids happy. The palm trees and other plantings helped the lot blend into the surrounding area.
    The architecture for this lighthouse was unique, but allowed for plenty of room for indoor entertainment. There is no lack of variety for the discerning sim. Inside, there are four floors, each with their own appeal. From a mixology bar to a dining area, a dance floor to chess tables, there is something for everysim. And is that a recording studio? The only thing I would change was that most of the indoor entertainment seemed geared toward the adult sims. My favorite part was the information center. It was sleek and modern, but still seemed to hold a lot of history and reference materials. All in all a great job!

The Winner:

In conclusion, these are all very beautiful and unique lighthouses, and my sims and I would be happy to have any one of them in my game. Each one has it’s own charms and attractions. It was a difficult choice to make, but the one that seemed to put it all together for me was…

Crocodile Rock by The Smokin PJ’s

crl_1.png

Congratulations to Jasnik82, Peacemaker_ic, and SmokyTopaz!