Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Sims Idea

I seriously wish you would consider making a disabled Sims. I like the idea that my SIMS could be in a wheelchair and reflect how I truly am. I know there are people out there who think it's a bad idea, but they don't have to use the SIMS if they don't want to. There ARE those who would like to have a more accurate representation of ourselves.

Comments

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited October 2011
    I seriously wish you would consider making a disabled Sims. I like the idea that my SIMS could be in a wheelchair and reflect how I truly am. I know there are people out there who think it's a bad idea, but they don't have to use the SIMS if they don't want to. There ARE those who would like to have a more accurate representation of ourselves.

*sigh*

So we have to do this argument again?

Look, let me save you some time and energy: This is a bad idea. All you'll get, at best, is one massive argument against it that'll probably end when you're challenged to prove that putting disabled people in a game that, due to its very nature, inherently mocks everything added to it and you fail to prove that your idea wouldn't result in disabled people being mocked by EA, massive protests against EA, and the entire EP pulled from store shelves to minimize the damages.

EA's not going to do this any faster than they'd do an EP that allows teens to woohoo. They can't afford the outrage and they know it.
  • Options
    karmatrashkarmatrash Posts: 48 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see how this would be possible. Think, and really think, about the practicality of it, and how it would be done. What would determine a Sim's disability? Would they be born this way, or would it be possible to be injured in accidents landing them in wheelchairs? If either, what would be the circumstances causing them to be born in this way? A mother not having a good pregnancy? At random? And if they are part of a tragic accident, this may be very sensitive for some people, as you can imagine. It would be very difficult to make this a light-hearted or funny occurrence, as most things in the Sims games are handled. (For example, the grim reaper makes death in the Sims comical in a way, but death happens to everyone, it isn't as sensitive as one may think)

Any disability or fatal disease would be difficult to implement, honestly. Some people could be very offended by EA even trying to do so, and may consider their attempts to be a mockery of those with disabilities. I understand how you feel, but one thing I think people forget is that the Sims is not actually supposed to be a serious replication of real life. It is impossible to include every single aspect of every single person's possible lifestyle into a simulation game about life.

If you are interested, I'm sure there are mods out there that may implement wheelchairs or other disabilities that you can download to add to your game. Like TanyaRubirose stated, this could cause very serious repercussions for EA, and it's best that they leave it alone.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    edited October 2011
    karmatrash wrote:

If you are interested, I'm sure there are mods out there that may implement wheelchairs or other disabilities that you can download to add to your game. Like TanyaRubirose stated, this could cause very serious repercussions for EA, and it's best that they leave it alone.

um sorry Karmatrash but this is one case where mods can't help. and the ONLY wheelchair CC is only for picture-taking it doesn't move. Since for mods to added such a thing it would need to already be hidden in a code and since its not...they can't do anything.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    No need to apologize. I too was referring to the wheelchair for picture-taking, as I have seen that implemented. I did not mean for actual gameplay, however, as I have not yet seen that created, and do not see a way for it to be created based on current gameplay interactions. My mistake for being so vague!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Yes I am aware a lot of people disabled or not disabled don't want it but what about people who just want to create more of a sim-self..yes they can do a sim-self but its just not "them". Since some of us..have accepted our selves for having a "problem". Sure there are plenty who haven't..but..its just seems just as wrong not to include them. Yes I'm aware its would just be a thin edge to asking for serious illness and stuff...(which I don't want). I would love to make my neighbor Jackie..but she uses a cane and she's not an elder and she also uses a scooter but not the kind from WA.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    MadamLee, the best way I can explain it is that we live in a crappy world with crappy people in it.

Who knows? Maybe in the future people will look back on conversations like this and need someone to explain to them exactly what social pressures and problems would have prompted an idea like this to gain so much opposition on the basis that it'd offend. But until then, we have to deal with the here and now and the fact EA could face serious consequences, even fines from the FCC, for this.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited October 2011

This isn't a new idea. There's a 37 page thread somewhere on this forum that has a lot of debate on this very topic.

You act like it's all that simple. Okay, here's a wheelchair; here's the Sim in the wheelchair, now I can make myself as I really am in real life. But it really isn't. You're asking EA to rewrite the entire game, just so that you can put yourself in it.

And for what? So that EA can say that it encourages diversity by putting in a token disabled person that just runs around in a wheelchair, just like Mattel tried to do with their Becky-in-a-wheelchair? The only difference between Becky & Barbie is that Becky had skinnier legs. And she couldn't fit into Barbie's Dream House...not even in the elevators.

There is no way that EA can accurately portray the reality of what it means to spend your life in a wheelchair. And the other thing is, that The Sims 3 is supposed to be *entertaining* and fun. Now, tell me where is the fun in being disabled and in a wheelchair? You're asking EA to rewrite and redesign the whole game just so you can make yourself rolling around in your wheelchair; but in doing that, you're also minimizing how hard it is in real life to *be* wheelchair bound.

I should know; my eldest daughter has neuro-muscular atrophy and she has to wear a respirator. I'm *sure* she'd be thrilled if I were to make her in The Sims 3 (just as many people on that ultra-long disability thread have said that they'd like to make their friend Mike/Joe, whoever, but they can't cause he's in a wheelchair).

In fact, she's the one who told me that *if* she were to play the Sims 3 at all, she would love to be able to make a Simself that *wasn't* in a wheelchair; someone who could do the things she can't do in real life. So, yes, as long as she's against the idea, so am I.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    simgreensimgreen Posts: 1,630 New Member
    edited October 2011
    A single poster bring this topic up already brings so much argument. It's no wonder EA hasn't implemented this.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It could be worse.

There was one game a few years back where a forum idea almost had an in-game civil war result.

Oh, yeah, guess why I oppose Sims going online for the main series?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I couldn't agree more with Jarsie9's post. Please don't take this the wrong way, OP, but disabled Sims would bring an unnecessary level of severity to the game. They would have limitations that other Sims would not have, or they would patronize a difficult way of life, because they would need to be changed in such a way that they can still do all the things the other Sims can do, as if it's completely normal and easy to do, such as swimming or dancing.

I have a friend with a prosthetic leg, and I actually asked her, and she laughed - "Why would I want my prosthetic leg represented in a fictional game?" The point of playing the Sims is to escape reality, and have the chance to "live" in a world where everything is fun, easy, carefree, imaginary, and not real life. She's completely happy to make herself in the game as is, and it's still a fictional Sims 3 representation of herself. Otherwise, her Sim would have to remove her prosthetic leg before swimming and showering. What does that really add to the game, except new animations?

It would be fun to see a Sims game with mental illnesses, since we're on the topic. Especially neurotic Sims, or other Sims prone to life-long negative moodlets, such as unlucky, loner, etc. They could visit the hospital for a therapy or group session, and leave with a positive moodlet that lasts the rest of the day. However, I completely understand that this will never be added, and I understand why. Am I offended that those of us with mental illnesses can not be completely represented in the game? Of course not. I'm okay that my "disability" is not represented, because it's a game meant to entertain and provide fun, not mirror reality.

The fact remains that even those of us with two functioning legs will never be able to totally replicate ourselves in the game. We all have differences in body types and appearances, traits that are not represented, differences that are difficult to remake with CAS's limitations, and that's okay. Make yourself with what's given, and live your Sim in a different world than reality - that's the point. Why is everyone so concerned with making the Sims so realistic, in ways that limit and remove fun from the game?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Some disabled people play it to escape the RL world. But others want there to be the option of a wheelchair at least? I mean it certainly wouldn't happen for Sims 3..since the strollers are terrible. But its doesn't seem right that on the back of the box it says "Create anyone" since that is kind of incorrect you can create ONLY able-bodied sims.

I mean for one thing how would the sim get the wheelchair in the first place? Would it be in CAS? and if it was would it be able to work in the sims world? If not (in CAS) where would it be put in Buy mode? but where? since you would want it to work both outside and inside the house. (I'm not going to discuss anything like accidents happening)Not to mention that some community lots would need to have work done. Some major work (like SV's City Hall since it would have to have both ramps and a wider doors) and others like the Spa would need to just have wider doors. FYI some people in wheelchairs CAN drive themselves it just depends on how serve the disability is).

I don't know how old the fisher price schoolhouse and School bus with wheelchair is..but considering the fisher price people look a lot like the modern day ones..I don't think it can be that old. Fisher price has made a lot of wheelchairs for their Fisher price people..and no one has complain about that have they?)

Why are we allowed to have Gays in the game if we choose too but can't allow for those with disabilities--they are just as much part of the diversity as African-Americans/Canadians/Asians (Chinese/Korean/Japanese)/Europeans. I mean to me what with the big fuss over same-sex marriage in the U.S....it just seems wrong we can choose to have one but not the other.

Children (Teens included) need to be able to have option of having "toys" that respented themselves and the only disabled "toys" out there on the market are super expensive.

PS. the wheelchair could have other uses too like bring the mom out of the hospital..I mean who seriously walks out of the hospital after birth?

PPS. Sims is suppose to be a virtual dollhouse right? Well I think of it as a virtual "Little People" from Fisher price toys.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited October 2011
    And what's wrong with only being able to create able-bodied Sims? For heaven's sake, it's a GAME, and it's far simpler to make able-bodied Sims than it is to redesign an entire game around people with disabilities. And at that, you're only limiting it to a wheelchair to represent the whole spectrum of disabilities.

Then you have the unmitigated gall to turn around and parrot exactly what I, and others who agree with me, have been saying all along about *why* having wheelchairs in the game would prove to be more trouble than it's worth, as if to support your argument, I suppose. If Mattel couldn't be bothered to make Barbie's townhouse accessible to Becky-in-the-wheelchair, what makes you think EA is going to go out of its way to do so?

And as for Fisher-Price and its schoolhouse and its little person in the wheelchair: That was 30 years ago, give or take a few years; they no longer make that product, and the wheelchair bound little person was a children's toy designed for children; it in no way reflected true disability.

I can sit here and argue from now til the cows come home, and it won't change a thing. EA is unlikely to take the trouble to make the game more disabled-friendly in terms of represening disabled Sims; not even in the Sims 4. I'd be surprised and disturbed if they did...especially if they took shortcuts just to make the game run faster.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:

Then you have the unmitigated gall to turn around and parrot exactly what I, and others who agree with me, have been saying all along about *why* having wheelchairs in the game would prove to be more trouble than it's worth, as if to support your argument, I suppose. If Mattel couldn't be bothered to make Barbie's townhouse accessible to Becky-in-the-wheelchair, what makes you think EA is going to go out of its way to do so?

And as for Fisher-Price and its schoolhouse and its little person in the wheelchair: That was 30 years ago, give or take a few years; they no longer make that product, and the wheelchair bound little person was a children's toy designed for children; it in no way reflected true disability.

its just is more then just the school bus having a wheelchair.

There were lots of other play sets from Fisher price that had a wheelchair

I only am using wheelchairs since its mostly what is request.

Sure there would be problems like how would a blind sim work? Since in a way you can already make a blind sim..but he would have to "read" or work w/ computer or "watch" TV like a regular sim

and a deaf sim..well don't know how that would work..you would need several new animates for SSL (sim sign lanauge) not to mention sim captions on aim TV. Then there are the items that the one deaf guy suggest on the other thread.

(some people like paramedics loose their hearing because of sirens when they're sitting in the ambulance racing someplace).

There been many people through out history that have problems. Yes some people like FDR did hide it...but we still know about it.

You wanted me to name one TV person who actually had a disability? Chris Burke.

Technically almost every single toy company out there has tried to have disability (most wheelchairs) in their sets. Little Tyke, Fisher Price, Mattel, Playmobile.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    jeanamariex3jeanamariex3 Posts: 1,274
    edited October 2011
    You know to be honest, and I will discuss this in a lighter note, it almost reminds me of my opinion on the vegetarian trait. I am a vegetarian, and it's really not something I see as part of my personality. I am diagnosed with PDD/NOS which is now mild Aspergers, by the way.

Okay, so on the topic of vegetarianism with this discussion, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND MY OPINION ONLY SO DO NOT YELL AT ME OR ATTACK ME FOR THIS! Being a vegetarian is my choice. I love animals a lot, mostly cats, and I just got to the point where I couldn't see myself eating them. I just didn't give myself the vegetarian trait though because any of the foods in Sims could be meatless and you don't need a "veggie" label to do so. I just pretend they're veggie anyways. As far as growing patties in your garden, I just pretend they're gardenburgers/boca burgers. :lol:

• Options
    edited October 2011
    You know to be honest, and I will discuss this in a lighter note, it almost reminds me of my opinion on the vegetarian trait. I am a vegetarian, and it's really not something I see as part of my personality. I am diagnosed with PDD/NOS which is now mild Aspergers, by the way.

Okay, so on the topic of vegetarianism with this discussion, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION AND MY OPINION ONLY SO DO NOT YELL AT ME OR ATTACK ME FOR THIS! Being a vegetarian is my choice. I love animals a lot, mostly cats, and I just got to the point where I couldn't see myself eating them. I just didn't give myself the vegetarian trait though because any of the foods in Sims could be meatless and you don't need a "veggie" label to do so. I just pretend they're veggie anyways. As far as growing patties in your garden, I just pretend they're gardenburgers/boca burgers. :lol:

I think I'll stick with your lighter note for the moment. I just don't feel like typing out yet another long post :lol:

Given that they can be grown on plants, I think your argument for that pretending actually has pretty good merit.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Thank you. Oh and cheese from a cheese plant is vegan cheese and lactose intolerant friendly cheese. Eggs are tofu eggs. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Thank you. Oh and cheese from a cheese plant is vegan cheese and lactose intolerant friendly cheese. Eggs are tofu eggs. :mrgreen:

How about eggs being a different breed of eggplant? The ingame description hint at that.

Tofu... might get a revolution organized against whoever thought of including it in game :lol: I even know a couple of vegans who'd rather eat a steak than eat tofu.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Tofu... might get a revolution organized against whoever thought of including it in game :lol: I even know a couple of vegans who'd rather eat a steak than eat tofu.

Really??? Hah! I'm a mostly raw vegan, but do eat tofu occasionally. Tastes great frozen, to give it a chewier texture, then marinated in whatever flavour or type of sauce the recipe calls for. I've never understood why so many veg's hate it, hehe :]

And jeanamariex3, THANK YOU for having some creativity and actually using your imagination when playing this game ;P I'm vegan myself, and honestly don't really care whether or not my Sims eat meat, but I also pretend those little burgers are Boca patties when playing a vegetarian Sim :]
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I tried having Vegetarian sims eat Cheese and eggs and nothing happens.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    MadameLee, cheese and eggs are considered vegetarian, as they are not flesh. Vegans do not eat any animal products, however, so vegan Sims (if such a Sim existed) would have a problem eating these things.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    oh but it seems like in this case sims with Vegterian trait are lacto-ovo Vegetarians.

That one argument about people making stories abusing disabled sims IF it was included? What the big deal? EA doesn't have anything to do with stereotypical ideas since people already have stereotypical ideas. Jarise9 remember that person who mentioned that (according to EA) once the Stories area was filled with stories about fat and ethnic sims and how people were doing mean things to them?

Should we get rid of fat sims because it offends obese people? Should we get read of dying? Oh and we should get rid of the black&yellow skins in CAS since it offends people who are don't like African-Americans or Asians (Korean/Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Vietnamese/Indian) or (this last part doesn't count) Should we get rid of ghosts/vampires/unicorns since it offends religious people?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    MadameLee wrote:
    oh but it seems like in this case sims with Vegterian trait are lacto-ovo Vegetarians

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

What makes no sense to me is that with the vegetarian trait, my home grown meat patties, will still get them sick. That's why I instead of labeling my Sim as vegetarian, I simply just work my way around it by giving them a vegetarian favorite (fruit parfait, autumn salad, PB&J), and grow meat from the ground and pretend they're Boca Burgers/Garden Burgers/Morningstar Farms. When my Sim wants an instant meal, I will simply pretend it's Amy's Kitchen. On Sims Social, I pretend my TV dinner is Amy's Kitchen. :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    MadameLee wrote:
    That one argument about people making stories abusing disabled sims IF it was included? What the big deal? EA doesn't have anything to do with stereotypical ideas since people already have stereotypical ideas. Jarise9 remember that person who mentioned that (according to EA) once the Stories area was filled with stories about fat and ethnic sims and how people were doing mean things to them?

Should we get rid of fat sims because it offends obese people? Should we get read of dying? Oh and we should get rid of the black&yellow skins in CAS since it offends people who are don't like African-Americans or Asians (Korean/Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Vietnamese/Indian) or (this last part doesn't count) Should we get rid of ghosts/vampires/unicorns since it offends religious people?

It comes down to what EA can be legitimately sued for as to what we shouldn't include. Which means the rest of what I have to say is actually going to get quite cruel, but real life is cruel.

Getting rid of fat people? No. Let's face it; fat people don't have a leg to stand on in most lawsuits. Realistically, they could do an entire EP around beating fat people with sticks until they get thin and there's no chance of EA facing a successful lawsuit over it. Those who are overweight are pretty much a second class of citizen as far as these things go, since the official position of the courts is that being fat is their fault (in spite of what science may have to say) and that they should shut up and accept the consequences. So, yeah, keep them.

Getting rid of different races? Once again, being offended by someone being a different race is no legal ground to stand on. In fact, it'll probably get you arrested if you sued over it.

As for ghosts/vampires/unicorns: Religious people have never had a legal leg to stand on when suing over those, and they likely never will. The legal systems typical response to such lawsuits is "either adapt your beliefs or avoid it; if you can't avoid it, then adapt." So, no, there's no capacity for them to sue over those being included.

Can disabled people sue and win if they're offended? Oh yes. Oh yes in a very, very big way.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Here's my big problem with adding disabilities to Sims: How would this be done? Are you going to combine traits that make a person act a certain way and label them as something in their bio? Or would these disabilities appear as traits? There are a number of pre-made Sims that have certain trait combos that have been mentioned on several different threads to give a Sim whatever disability they want. By adding disabilities, you're saying those premade Sims have disabilities already.

Didn't they imply that the Hart Family could have mental issues?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    being obese is a problem over in the Netherlands (I think). Danes attidue to it is like some people's attitudes to disabilities.

@jarise9 Can I count Seamse Street for a TV show which is NOT a cartoon which had human characters that were disabled?
    6adMCGP.gif