Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Religion???

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited July 2011
    Candi_Dyla wrote:
    What about modernized versions of the Jacoban church and the Peteran church? They've already included religion in the Sims Medieval -- and I don't think that caused any problems.
    Correct. But in the Sims Medieval it made sense because there weren't really more religions to consider in the medieval time.

Today adding (modernized versions of) those two religions would be much more problematic because then people would want many other religions too (like Islam Buddhism and Judaism). Even Shintoism would also be wanted because EA has really many customers for the Sims game in Japan too.
  • Options
    EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    edited July 2011
    It would be sweet and adorable for parents and children to say prayers together before bedtime, and for everyone for to say a prayer before every meal.
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited July 2011
    never gonna happen too many religions
    i am christian but not everyone else is christain or catholic or muslim etc
    it wuld cause to much conflict if they put in one religion and not the other or they tried to include a animation and it offends somoene

but if your looking for churhces you can dowload them on different dowloading sites i've seen some beatiful church buildings made by our fellow simmers
    good luck
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited July 2011
    never gonna happen too many religions
    i am christian but not everyone else is christain or catholic or muslim etc
    it wuld cause to much conflict if they put in one religion and not the other or they tried to include a animation and it offends somoene

but if your looking for churhces you can dowload them on different dowloading sites i've seen some beatiful church buildings made by our fellow simmers
    good luck

This doesn't have to be an expansion pack. A few objects that would allow players to design and play their own church *as a church* would be harmless; like the podium I suggested earlier. The main reason I don't download churches or make my own church ingame is becase the Sims *don't act like they're in a church*...they won't even sit down and listen to a sermon properly. I don't think it's too much to ask for EA to make such a podium. It's generic enough and non-specific enough not to offend anyone, unless of course, they *want* to be offended.

But at this point, we're beyond talking about a religious expansion pack, which would never fly, and at least, *I'm* trying to discuss some objects that players could use when they build their own churches.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    yeah that would be a good idea
    i know of a church that was made and the person who made it somehow made it so that certain sims she created in the CAS were always in the church so like everytime you went its like they'd be in church not sure where but i never downloaded just read the description
    and im sorry i didnt relize you were talking about just objects b.c alot of people ask why theres never been some sort of religious aspect or ep and thats why i said that

but i like your ideas b.c i always wish there was church just for my sims to be able to get married in
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    A few objects that would allow players to design and play their own church *as a church* would be harmless;
    How about the people who prefer a mosque or a synagogue or a shrine instead because they have a completely different religion?
  • Options
    JohanFoppaJohanFoppa Posts: 1,084 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Can I be a pastafarian or a nihilist? If so I'm totally on!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Erpe wrote:
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    A few objects that would allow players to design and play their own church *as a church* would be harmless;
    How about the people who prefer a mosque or a synagogue or a shrine instead because they have a completely different religion?

What *about* them? The podium I suggest is simply a generic object. People can use it any way they want it to; it's designed to have whatever kind of connotation a player wants, religious or otherwise.

I've been careful to suggest only generic ideas that can be adapted in various ways; anything specific can be added by downloading objects from specific fansites; all EA would do is give us the tools to make our own religious observances. Surely, you're not going to tell me that Muslims, Jews, and people of other religious beliefs don't listen to lectures or sermons or teachings during some of their services, are you?

As I said, the podium in question can be used also for political rallies, as well as having a lecture in the park or whatever. The key is that the podium makes the people surrounding it react in a certain way: if there is seating, they sit and listen; if there is no sitting, they gather around and listen. That should not even be a problem or cause any controversy. And the other objects like the stained glass windows would just be the main mesh that a custom content maker would draw on to make their own religious windows; simply that. Fansites can take care of specific details.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    What *about* them? The podium I suggest is simply a generic object. People can use it any way they want it to; it's designed to have whatever kind of connotation a player wants, religious or otherwise.
    Maybe I misunderstood you. I read your messages like you proposed EA to give us objects so that we can build a church (the building). But if we talk about the buildings then there aren't many similarities between our churches and mosques and synagogues and the Japanese shrines. That was my point.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited July 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Erpe wrote:
    Jarsie9 wrote:

I've been careful to suggest only generic ideas that can be adapted in various ways; anything specific can be added by downloading objects from specific fansites; all EA would do is give us the tools to make our own religious observances. Surely, you're not going to tell me that Muslims, Jews, and people of other religious beliefs don't listen to lectures or sermons or teachings during some of their services, are you?

As I said, the podium in question can be used also for political rallies, as well as having a lecture in the park or whatever. The key is that the podium makes the people surrounding it react in a certain way: if there is seating, they sit and listen; if there is no sitting, they gather around and listen. That should not even be a problem or cause any controversy. And the other objects like the stained glass windows would just be the main mesh that a custom content maker would draw on to make their own religious windows; simply that. Fansites can take care of specific details.

Combining the podium (and maybe other basic objects) idea, with a faction system would allow the player to create their own religions and the faction system would could be used to call them in for 'sermons', it could also be alternatively used for meetings of the supervillains society, political rallies, ETC... Essentially the only limit would be the players imagination.

I definitely support your idea if it is combined with a faction system.
    raw
  • Options
    Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I'd like to see an option to create your own religion(s) in the game. You could create a lot, designate that lot as "Worship", and then be asked a series of questions in order to create the religion:

Name of religion
    Title used for followers
    How many deities are worshipped (one / two / several)
    Pick 5 characteristics to serve as teachings (at this point, you would pick 5 characteristics, just as you would when creating a Sim)

Sims who have one or more of those characteristics will automatically be drawn to the lot... if your Sim does not have any of the characteristics but goes to services at that lot anyway, and if they go, say, 3 times and have a great time there every time, they may get a Want to join that religion.

Voila! The player can choose whether or not to have religion, and can create as many faiths as they like and design and name them whatever they wish. No hurt feelings, no outrage, no insults... you create it all yourself. If you don't want it, don't put a Worship lot in your town. It's just that easy.
  • Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Please check out the following thread link. Since we can't seem to have a discussion about religion in game that will stay on topic and not offend someone .... here is the GENERIC thread.

Please keep it going so we can get the GOOD ideas in front of the Gurus and possibly in game.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/443691.page

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited October 2011
    Research the different faiths then create the objects and buildings.Then stick them up for sale via the store thus everybody wins and EA makes more money. :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Meh, this thread started its life a year ago. It should never have been raised from the dead in the first place...nor even in the second place, since before this thing got restarted, the last response was in July of this year, I think.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    KazzJazzKazzJazz Posts: 237 New Member
    edited October 2011
    mikitta47 wrote:
    Please check out the following thread link. Since we can't seem to have a discussion about religion in game that will stay on topic and not offend someone .... here is the GENERIC thread.

Please keep it going so we can get the GOOD ideas in front of the Gurus and possibly in game.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/443691.page

God Bless,
    mik

Thank you for posting the link in this thread. You've come up with a great solution IMO and I would love to see EA implement your ideas into the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Meh, this thread started its life a year ago. It should never have been raised from the dead in the first place...nor even in the second place, since before this thing got restarted, the last response was in July of this year, I think.

THIS ^
  • Options
    georgie31999georgie31999 Posts: 193 New Member
    edited October 2011
    They could bring the Watcher from TSM in, even though I don't really enjoy that, and it was a bigger let down to me then TS3 was.
  • Options
    NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 811 Member
    edited October 2011
    Wasn't there JUST a thread about this kind of thing that got locked? Who resurrected this one?

I don't mean to sound offensive, but it astounds me that people want religion in a game that has absolutely NOTHING to do with it, and has been doing well without it for quite sometime. What exactly is the point of adding it? Don't say it adds realism, because it really doesn't. The reality is that not everyone is religious, and it is very rude to assume otherwise. And don't say Atheism is a religion, because that's like calling bald a hair colour.

So I'm just going to say this: I think the idea of religion is TS3 is completely idiotic (and probably not going to happen), but if EA finds a way to make it completely optional, I wouldn't have a problem.

On the other hand, I think the ideas that other people thought of are really cool, for another game. Not in TS3, please.
  • Options
    danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Wow, I can't believe this topic is still up and kicking.

Okay, here's my latest proposition to EA: give us the tools we need to build our own church: specifically a podium that a Sim can speak from and that will have some kind of built-in interaction that will immediately cause other Sims to sit down and listen if there is seating in the building. The same podium could also be used in front of City Hall or any community lot for various purposes...a political rally or whatever.

Give us some stained glass looking windows like you did in The Sims 2 so that we could use them in our church building; yeah, you can make some nice generic ones; the CC makers will have a blast redesigning them with religious themes; if I recall correctly, I had a nice set of religious stained glass windows in one of my Sims 2 churches. We already have the wedding arch; some kind of a tall table that could be used as an altar would be nice; I would put candles and flowers on mine.

All Arond the Sims has some nice church themed things that I have used in the past; the only problem is that whenever I have a church, my Sims don't act right when my Sim is standing behind the podium (which is a part of the church set); instead of sitting down and listening, they talk amongst themselves among other things. So, yeah, I think a podium would do the trick nicely. That, and a few generic stained glass windows. It's a start.

To add: No worship of Llama religion. Some people just don't WANT their Sims to be religious. So let items be completely optional and multi-functional. If there is a podium or 'statues' that people can admire, let them be multi-purpose and up to interpretation.
  • Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Narcissa and danivixen-

Go up a bit and read the last post I made - click on the link. Keep that post going because the ideas are good. If you can think of anything that is multifunctional which would work well, that I didn't add into the opening post - please add it. There is a way to make it possible for religion to be in game without it being forced on anyone or even come off as religion for those who don't want it - BUT all those ideas greatly enhance game play. That is - they capitalize on the generic aspects of fellowship regardless of creed and leave the rest up to window dressing and imagination.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:

Whoops, my bad... is there a rule to how long a thread can stay inactive before it's officially "dead"? I just came across this by accident.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:

Whoops, my bad... is there a rule to how long a thread can stay inactive before it's officially "dead"? I just came across this by accident.

If you had to dig down to page 99 before you ran into this thread, it's probably best left alone. It's always wise to check the original date; I'd say anything from 2009/2010 is pretty much dead, because usually those ideas have already been added to the current expansion packs.

Anything from this year is okay, as long as it is relevant to whatever is currently going on, or is a topic of such interest that it has quite a few pages devoted to it. That's my general rule of thumb anyway...your mileage may vary.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    branjulabranjula Posts: 5
    edited October 2011
    i think if they were fake religions like they were in the sims medieval it would be fun and if you don't like the idea it's not like you have to do it it would just be a option.
  • Options
    nmr89nmr89 Posts: 18
    edited October 2011
    they shouldnt use real religions in the sims 3 if they were to approach this with fictional or even user created religion.think about it you could create the religions of their world, add commandments,taboos make it scientific/sprital, good/evil.like say say you have a commandment that forbids your sim to wear pants or something funny like that.as for church/mass i think the developers would be smarter then to turn a religious building into a place to force religious people actually go. im catholic but i dont go to church and are sims can have the same option if your custom religion belives in such buildings.:) :P
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited October 2011
    branjula wrote:
    i think if they were fake religions like they were in the sims medieval it would be fun and if you don't like the idea it's not like you have to do it it would just be a option.

except they really aren't fake reglions at all they are based upon the break with the (Catholic) Church with Henry VIII.
    6adMCGP.gif