Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who wants Christmas back to the sims?

Comments

• Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    edited July 2011
    calmorezoo wrote:
    cant say i want any religous crapp in the game thank!
    I have to agree, wanting to celebrate something as natural as Christmas is fine, it's great for those who enjoy an event that brings families together. The great thing for Simmers is they may add to the game what they choose to so it is always a choice.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    edited July 2011
    Yes, Christmas was better in Sims 2, you could make christmas cookies, and what about those presents that were in the decor section you could use them for all kinds of events. New Years Eve you could celebrate with Old Father Time and Baby New Year. Other things I miss are guests at the wedding that would toast's the wedding couple,when the bride and groom cut the cake, they had a choice to smash the cake or feed it to their intended nicely. I miss the lumio that would come after a wedding and take your sims on a honeymoon. I miss the diving board, and my sims swimming in the ocean. Another thing I miss is when a sim moves out the other sims in the household would run and say good buy.
  • Options
    MissChatterboxMissChatterbox Posts: 4,277 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I wouldn't mind free christmas themed stuff in the store, but it would create too much controversy :roll: in game.

Christmas is what you make it :P
  • Options
    embrea11embrea11 Posts: 227 New Member
    edited July 2011
    mattgstl wrote:
    calmorezoo wrote:

I don't think this has much to do with religion :?
    It is when Jeasus was born :roll: christmas is a very religous ceremony.

Um, actually, Jesus wasn't born on Christmas day.
    That's been proven over and over again.
    People are just not prone to changing their ways, especially when it comes to religion.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/news/2000/dec08.html

(And there is no "a" in Jesus..."
  • Options
    overcookedburgerovercookedburger Posts: 2,152 New Member
    edited July 2011
    calmorezoo wrote:

As I see it nothing wrong with having something in the game that brings families closer together and what is so bad about religion anyway? I have both free Christmas sets from the store and I love he tree.

I dislike people who show their hate for religion like that. I'm religious and it does confuse me. If you hate racism, why bring it up? That sentence was quite racist to me. It wasn't just to one specific religion but all of them.

Why does nearly all Holiday topics somehow slide to this conversation. Sad!
  • Options
    embrea11embrea11 Posts: 227 New Member
    edited July 2011
    calmorezoo wrote:

As I see it nothing wrong with having something in the game that brings families closer together and what is so bad about religion anyway? I have both free Christmas sets from the store and I love he tree.

I dislike people who show their hate for religion like that. I'm religious and it does confuse me. If you hate racism, why bring it up? That sentence was quite racist to me. It wasn't just to one specific religion but all of them.

Unfortunately that's gonna happen because most of the major holidays have religious roots.

Christmas- "Jesus' birth"- Christians
    Hanukkah- Jews
    Kwanza- I'm sorry, I don't know the religious term for the people who celebrate it.
    Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha- Muslims
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    embrea11 wrote:
    mattgstl wrote:
    calmorezoo wrote:

I don't think this has much to do with religion :?
    It is when Jeasus was born :roll: christmas is a very religous ceremony.

Um, actually, Jesus wasn't born on Christmas day.
    That's been proven over and over again.
    People are just not prone to changing their ways, especially when it comes to religion.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/news/2000/dec08.html

(And there is no "a" in Jesus..."

Finally, someone who knows. Noone really knows when Jesus was born. Christmas Day is more like a reminder of him being born, not his birthday. I never get it why people sometimes sing songs about him being born that day.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited July 2011
    I loved how the snow looked with christmas lights on the house, fire blazing and all the stockings on the mantle gifts piled all over the place. Christmas trees inside and out. It looked so beautiful. sometimes I really miss sims2 just because of this.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    embrea11 wrote:
    calmorezoo wrote:

Unfortunately that's gonna happen because most of the major holidays have religious roots.

Hanukkah- Jews
    Kwanza- I'm sorry, I don't know the religious term for the people who celebrate it.

Mhmm, mhmm.
  • Options
    CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    edited July 2011
    I can't wait to see what this years holiday set from the store has. I'm hoping for some mistletoe.

same here too and egg nogs and fruit cake, and candy canes for trees and out doors. There were a Candy Cane Lane in St Joseph while I was growing up. It is awesome to see It
  • Options
    lovenadialovenadia Posts: 36 New Member
    edited July 2011
    I think it would be great to have it back. For all the people who complain about not wanting religion in your game, you don't have to buy it. It's really that simple.

Also, the person calling religion "crap" is very uncalled for.
  • Options
    McbeanMcbean Posts: 2,551 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Umm, I'm sorry, but when did Santa become synonymous with religion? Did I miss that memo? If so, could someone please point me to the local Our Santa of Grace Upon the Mountain? I'd most definitely attend there.

Beeteedub, I too think it would be smashing to have Santa as a babydaddy.

Cheers.

Mcbean
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    embrea11 wrote:
    calmorezoo wrote:

Hanukkah- Jews

Kwanzaa doesn't really have religious roots, it's a celebration of heritage(african dispora).
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Mcbean wrote:
    Umm, I'm sorry, but when did Santa become synonymous with religion? Did I miss that memo? If so, could someone please point me to the local Our Santa of Grace Upon the Mountain? I'd most definitely attend there.

Cheers.

Mcbean

Santa has never been synonymous with religion. I'll never understand what Santa has to do with Christmas but im not going to change anything. Who DOESN'T want free toys and sweets?
  • Options
    gembrett101gembrett101 Posts: 2,578 New Member
    edited July 2011
    It would be so cool to have Christmas back in the game, then again this does bring the attention back to the age-old discussion of religion in the sims. Which will not happen and if it did, it would be like TSM :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Mcbean wrote:

Cheers.

Mcbean
    Google helps:
    "He is a religious symbol, but has nothing to do with Jesus.

Santa Claus is St. Nicholas, who is from the third century. His (wealthy) parents died while he was young. He used his inheritance to help the sick and needy. He was a devout Christian. He dedicated his life to the church, and became Bishop at a young age. Later, he was imprisoned for being Christian. He died years after his release from prison. After his death, loads of stories were passed down about his life and deeds... right up to now when we tell the kiddies about Santa Claus."

There's a more to the story. It's a pretty interesting one. You should look it up.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Here is Candy Cane Lane in St Joseph http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=224424578877&v=wall
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It would be so cool to have Christmas back in the game, then again this does bring the attention back to the age-old discussion of religion in the sims. Which will not happen and if it did, it would be like TSM :wink:

I would love to have a Faith expansion for the Sims 3. But many people would overreact over it. So that's that. Seasons is the more 'friendly to people who over-react' for holidays.

What a world we live in.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    lovenadia wrote:
    Mcbean wrote:

Cheers.

Mcbean
    Google helps:

Santa Claus is St. Nicholas, who is from the third century. His (wealthy) parents died while he was young. He used his inheritance to help the sick and needy. He was a devout Christian. He dedicated his life to the church, and became Bishop at a young age. Later, he was imprisoned for being Christian. He died years after his release from prison. After his death, loads of stories were passed down about his life and deeds... right up to now when we tell the kiddies about Santa Claus."

There's a more to the story. It's a pretty interesting one. You should look it up.

Wow thats interesting. Never knew. Its funny now how people potrait how he dresses like this.

crying_santa500x708.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2011
    lovenadia wrote:
    Mcbean wrote:

Cheers.

Mcbean
    Google helps:

Wow thats interesting. Never knew. Its funny now how people potrait how he dresses like this.

crying_santa500x708.jpg
    Lol, poor girl.
  • Options
    jkstensjkstens Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited July 2011
    I wouldn't mind having holidays in game, but in my perfect game I'd like them to be completely Sims 3, not some religion, culture, or country's holiday.
  • Options
    cindercelicinderceli Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Holidays would be wonderful! If they provided a list of only the major culture holidays, (Christmas, Kwanza, Hanukkah, etc.) And if someone didn't wish to have their Sims participate in the events, perhaps they could provide an option to disable it?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    cinderceli wrote:
    Holidays would be wonderful! If they provided a list of only the major culture holidays, (Christmas, Kwanza, Hanukkah, etc.) And if someone didn't wish to have their Sims participate in the events, perhaps they could provide an option to disable it?

Cool and welcome to the forum
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,800 Member
    edited July 2011
    embrea11 wrote:

Hanukkah- Jews

Just a minor correction is in order. You have it correct that the holiday we celebrate as "Christmas" is for the birth of Christ. The word Christmas, however, was derrived from the Mass celebrated in church commemorating the Nativity of Christ. Hence, you have Christ mass, or Christmas. Same thing happened with the word holiday. Essentially, it is Holy Day, but when said quickly, like most of us do, the word morphs into holliday with the short vowel sound over the long one. English is alive and ever evolving . . .

And I have been given to understand that Kwanzaa is an African celebration, but I have no knowledge as to what it pertains to or denotes. Hopefully, someone more schooled in these things will enlighten us.

Forgive me for butting in . . .
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,800 Member
    edited July 2011
    lovenadia wrote:
    Mcbean wrote:
    Umm, I'm sorry, but when did Santa become synonymous with religion? Did I miss that memo?
    Google helps:

Mcbean wrote:

Actually not such a mystery at all. St. Nicholas was the bishop of Myra and Lycia in the Holy Orthodox Church, (the ancient church). Bishops wore red vestments cinched at the waist with a belt (for lack of the real term). Nicholas was, indeed, from a wealthy family and was quite generous. The whole legendary present-giving thing started when he set out to save two young women from a poor family from being sold by their father into slavery. The father was a very proud man and wouldn't accept help up front. So Nicholas found a way to help in a quiet fashion. He flung a couple of small bags of coin through the man's window and they ended up perching inside the stockings (or shoes) left drying on the hearth.
    So, you see, he was a real man. Keep in mind that behind every Legend there is an ounce of truth. . .
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/