Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why generations isn't necessary

Comments

• Options
    simfreak103simfreak103 Posts: 4,735 New Member
    edited May 2011
    DrChip wrote:
    I'm blowing my money on Generations! How dare you try make people not buy the EP!
    That was probably one of my favorite posts. I will do the same as that guy. And now, I must say this in capital letters to make things more dramatic and make me look kind of enraged: IT'S AN EXPANSION PACK. TO EXPAND THINGS! THIS ONE AT LEAST ISN'T RANDOM. WA didn't even add stuff to the base game at all. And, before I continue, do not say: Oh, well WA and AMB were just RPG games and I didn't like them so don't even tell me any more info on what you wanted to say. OK, back on track, no expansion pack is NECESSARY. (I got this from someone else:) Food and water is NECESSARY. This is all for fun. And, although we already have parties, now they are more exciting. Passing out from too much nectar? AWESOOOOME! Home videos? BRING IT ON!
  • Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited May 2011
    DrChip wrote:
    I'm blowing my money on Generations! How dare you try make people not buy the EP!
    That was probably one of my favorite posts. I will do the same as that guy. And now, I must say this in capital letters to make things more dramatic and make me look kind of enraged: IT'S AN EXPANSION PACK. TO EXPAND THINGS! THIS ONE AT LEAST ISN'T RANDOM. WA didn't even add stuff to the base game at all. And, before I continue, do not say: Oh, well WA and AMB were just RPG games and I didn't like them so don't even tell me any more info on what you wanted to say. OK, back on track, no expansion pack is NECESSARY. (I got this from someone else:) Food and water is NECESSARY. This is all for fun. And, although we already have parties, now they are more exciting. Passing out from too much nectar? AWESOOOOME! Home videos? BRING IT ON!

Thank you oh Simmer of much needed sanity! No game is necessary, and if the game isn't necessary for someone's collect because they are not interested in it, then logically that person is not going to go out and buy it. For example when the pets expansion comes out, I won't be spending $40 on it its of no interest to me, so I'm just not going to buy it, nor am I gonna sit around wasting time complaining about it.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited May 2011
    Kail16 wrote:
    DrChip wrote:

Thank you oh Simmer of much needed sanity! No game is necessary, and if the game isn't necessary for someone's collect because they are not interested in it, then logically that person is not going to go out and buy it. For example when the pets expansion comes out, I won't be spending $40 on it its of no interest to me, so I'm just not going to buy it, nor am I gonna sit around wasting time complaining about it.

Cool, but some people do care about the content that the EP is adding, but worry that it's not up to the quality that it should be. It's not all black and white like "Oh, I love what this EP is adding, I'm buy it for sure!" or "I don't care for what this EP is adding, I won't buy it."

You see, there are parts of Generations that I would actually like, but I think the EP as a whole is really lacking and that bothers me. I'm not going to buy it, but I am going to post my opinion over it.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's a video game not the Cuban missile crisis. You like it you buy it, you don't like it then you don't buy it. Maybe it's just me, but I do see this in a more black or white fashion, yea I love the series and all, but it's just a game nothing to be taken seriously.

I love Super Mario, but I don't like every Super Mario sports game and don't buy the ones I don't like. And as for having an opinion. I have to wait until after I actually play to decide I hate it, but if I'm straight up uninterested to begin with then I'm not gonna bother spending my money. Simple solution crisis averted.
  • Options
    YungSimYungSim Posts: 28 New Member
    edited May 2011
    i kinda agree with him i mean i think they could of gone way more deeper in this ep. ive pretty much seen the intire game from videos, pics, posts etc. its not sumthing i would be totaly stoked to get u know. I can honestly say this was the most fail etempt for a sims 3 ep yet. But none the less an Expantion pack is an "Expantion" ill still buy it eventualy i hate not having something new that i kno other people have 8)
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited May 2011
    I agree with the OP and many other comments on the forums, however, we cannot blame EA for this expansion pack. Many of the items in the pack have been requested by the very people on the forums. I have seen THOUSANDS of daycare job posts, stroller posts, dating posts, more crap for children to do posts, etc....

I think the folks at EA are trying to give us what we want, but I think they also misunderstand what we want. For example let's look at dating. I am sure many people wanted to see dating back into the game, I certainly did. I think many wanted the whole restaurant experience from the Sims2. What is the point of the prom and dating experience if it is done in a rabbit hole? It is stuff like the rabbit hole experience that makes the game\expansion pack seem half done. Honestly if they were able to add like 10 bars in Bridgeport, I think they can add a couple of open restaurants around town.

Going forward, I think we should all make an effort to fully express an idea for the game. It is very easy for the developers to misunderstand what we really want from an idea. The next time you say bring back weather you should tell them you want seasons with rain, sleet, hail, snow, sims to carry umbrellas, outerwear, tanning, sims to be able to smell flowers, new fruits and vegetables to grow...etc or you may just get some fog...hahahah
  • Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited May 2011
    After seeing the Walk-Through Video, it confirmed to me, this one should be the weakest, lamest yet. This one is truly for the storytellers. The daycare job did sound like the best part and they just skimmed right over that. Strollers would be fine, but strolling one child is the same game effect as walking with one. This EP isn't for gameplayers, it's novelty.

The imaginary friend goes all the way to the fridge while the child stands in the yard for ALL that time, then the child takes the bowl when the imaginary friend finally struts it to him and he takes the bowl back to the table NEXT to the fridge it came from to eat it??? Someone thinks THIS is good gameplay, a good new animation?

BODYHAIR? Pranks? KIDS STILL CAN'T PAINT OR PLAY AN INSTRUMENT!?

They said they can't wait to see what the storytellers do with this, I'm glad SOMEONE will be entertained by this.

What a let down!
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Kail16 wrote:
    It's a video game not the Cuban missile crisis. You like it you buy it, you don't like it then you don't buy it. Maybe it's just me, but I do see this in a more black or white fashion, yea I love the series and all, but it's just a game nothing to be taken seriously.

I'm not taking it too seriously.

However, The Sims has always been a series that has blown me away... At least since I got to the PC version. There aren't any other games like it. I love life simulation games, sometimes those other video games just get boring.

It's sad to me that such a great and unique series has started to go downhill. It was a series that I have invested a lot of time and my creativity in.

And this certainly isn't a black and white situation. Not buying the EP will not improve my game.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    barisaxy wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:

However, The Sims has always been a series that has blown me away... At least since I got to the PC version. There aren't any other games like it. I love life simulation games, sometimes those other video games just get boring.

It's sad to me that such a great and unique series has started to go downhill. It was a series that I have invested a lot of time and my creativity in.

And this certainly isn't a black and white situation. Not buying the EP will not improve my game.

It is black and white. There's no deeper issue behind it. And ok, not buying the EP won't improve your game, but on that note, will buying and Expansion Pack that you don't like improve your game either? See it's all good breezy and simple, Nothing more to it and certainly not something to get worked up over, if if ain't for you then it ain't for you. And there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    After seeing the Walk-Through Video, it confirmed to me, this one should be the weakest, lamest yet. This one is truly for the storytellers. The daycare job did sound like the best part and they just skimmed right over that. Strollers would be fine, but strolling one child is the same game effect as walking with one. This EP isn't for gameplayers, it's novelty.

The imaginary friend goes all the way to the fridge while the child stands in the yard for ALL that time, then the child takes the bowl when the imaginary friend finally struts it to him and he takes the bowl back to the table NEXT to the fridge it came from to eat it??? Someone thinks THIS is good gameplay, a good new animation?

BODYHAIR? Pranks? KIDS STILL CAN'T PAINT OR PLAY AN INSTRUMENT!?

They said they can't wait to see what the storytellers do with this, I'm glad SOMEONE will be entertained by this.

What a let down!

Kids can paint already they could since the base game.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kail16 wrote:
    barisaxy wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:

It is black and white. There's no deeper issue behind it. And ok, not buying the EP won't improve your game, but on that note, will buying and Expansion Pack that you don't like improve your game either? See it's all good breezy and simple, Nothing more to it and certainly not something to get worked up over, if if ain't for you then it ain't for you. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Buying it/Not buying it is not the point. Neither one of them makes me happy. I wanted Generations to be better. :?

It wouldn't be so much of an issue if all EPs could somehow get released at once (I know that's not realistic) and I could pick and choose which ones I like and which ones don't interest me. Instead, we get the EPs over a period of several years. And when the EPs are not improving the game where I really feel it should be improved (especially when an EP has a theme in which's potential is not met) I will be disappointed. It's a bit different from having all EPs at once. Instead it's a waiting game.

And if the past The Sims patterns are any real indication, we are pretty much half-way through this game's lifespan now. Issues that are not being addressed are becoming worrisome. However, from the EPs before this (particularly Late Night) I know that EA can fix them, and that's what keeps me watching and keeps my hopes up.

Anyway, again, there's quite a difference between being disappointed in an EP and not being interested in an EP. I wasn't really interested in Ambitions or World Adventures. I didn't buy them, and that was fine. But when it comes to an EP which has a theme that I am interested in, has a lot of potential, but is very disappointing I will post about it. It doesn't even matter if I don't buy it, it's not the point. That has nothing to do with anything.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    biddy_bumbiddy_bum Posts: 102 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I really don't get the whole "this ain't so serious get over it" approach to peoples posts...I mean really...duh! Do you think we're all losing sleep or crying in a corner in the foetal position because we're dissapointed in a 'game'...really you guys have to quit taking it so seriously... as you keep pointing out it is just a game. Its a game we play and we want to discuss...thats pretty much it.
    I'm at work I'm bored, I like the Sims, I check the forum people are talking about something that interests me I post and put my two bob in...
    I think the games are disappointing...other people agree...cool. Maybe this or that could fix it, lets discuss...cool. Quit telling people to get over it. I love Anavatsia's quote in another post "its a forum not a fansite". Sheesh.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,539 Member
    edited May 2011
    It's a forum and people have their opinions. Some are more passionate than others. Some don't want to read what they disagree with and just want them to shut up. So much for being a forum. :P
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    edited May 2011
    The only thing with the "disappointment" posts that gets me, is that they are all terribly redundant, about a game that isn't even released, and also WHY SO SERIOUS? And posters who are claiming they are voicing their complaints are doing so in a manner that attempts to convey that the disappointment is a majority when in actuality many people are either satisfied with what they have heard, or are waiting to reserve judgment. I am one of the latter. I am buying Generations, but don't feel it necessary to over-analyze the features I have only gotten to see through other people's eyes and speculation about bugs and issues.

To be honest, I really feel a lot of people lately are ready to jump at the slightest thing as displayed in the thread about no Generations for Mac. Its based purely on speculation and some spicy hysteria and some people seem determined to be unhappy no matter what. Yes, this pack does appear to have a lot of elements for storytellers or sandboxers. Which isn't a bad thing because they have kind of been forgotten as of late. And maybe they could have done more or done some things differently, but then a different group of people would be unhappy. EA can't please everyone. Its totally cool that some people aren't into this EP, but why let it get you so upset and irate?
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif
  • Options
    biddy_bumbiddy_bum Posts: 102 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I just don't see why some people's posts aren't considered 'valid' because they are 'complaining'. And it gets pointed out 'its just a game' when people have concerns about said game.
    I'm not 'irate' about my concerns, they're just annoying and I like that I can discuss it with other people who play the games and are annoyed. And yeah its all been said before but there's probably not going to be an original topic on here that hasn't been discussed more than once.
    ..I'm just happy to listen to everyones opinion about the GAME but I don't see the point in the posts that just tell people to get over it. How is that helpful or constructive? How about you get over the fact that you want people to get over it. lol.
  • Options
    GazetteGazette Posts: 40 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Anavastia wrote:
    I have a feeling multiple seat strollers will come in a stuff pack. Along with other baby items, toys, clothing. I think they'll make a stuff pack geared around children and teens, maybe toddlers. Never babies ;_;.

I wouldn't say generations is unnecessary, worth 40-50 dollars now we can have a converstation. Lower it to 19.99 or 29.99, between those two prices.

The price for the game is set for the amount that the majority of people in a region will pay. I live outside of the U.S. now and am surprised by how low many games are in Asia. While I do not have the option of the buy Generations and get OSP free offer, the normal price for the game is $23.92. But this is because video games are considered a deterrent here. Most families try to seriously limit game time. If the price were the same as in U.S. no one would buy them (or not enough to make it profitable).

I completely agree that they should make the multiple stroller for parents. I don't like having to leave one child at home because the father is at work and no one can carry the other toddler or baby.
  • Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited May 2011
    I am not going to bother reading through 20 something pages of this post. I just find it funny that most people complaining about Generations will undoubtedly be using CC from all the new meshes it will come with. However this EP is totally unnecessary.
  • Options
    WhiteRosesWhiteRoses Posts: 82 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I haven't read much more than the first few posts, but may I just say something?
    While you may not find this necessary, there are many people out there who want this expansion pack. I also understand that there would be quite a lot of people out there who agree with you, but EA is not making it for you. They are making it for the people who want it. What I don't understand is why you feel the need to complain? It won't change anything. The game is only a week away from release.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited May 2011
    Kim5496 wrote:
    I am not going to bother reading through 20 something pages of this post. I just find it funny that most people complaining about Generations will undoubtedly be using CC from all the new meshes it will come with. However this EP is totally unnecessary.

Then I gather *you* have no plans to buy it, since it's totally unnecessary?

Just curious. I'm buying it, by the way.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2011
    Druscylla wrote:
    The only thing with the "disappointment" posts that gets me, is that they are all terribly redundant, about a game that isn't even released, and also WHY SO SERIOUS? And posters who are claiming they are voicing their complaints are doing so in a manner that attempts to convey that the disappointment is a majority when in actuality many people are either satisfied with what they have heard, or are waiting to reserve judgment. I am one of the latter. I am buying Generations, but don't feel it necessary to over-analyze the features I have only gotten to see through other people's eyes and speculation about bugs and issues.

To be honest, I really feel a lot of people lately are ready to jump at the slightest thing as displayed in the thread about no Generations for Mac. Its based purely on speculation and some spicy hysteria and some people seem determined to be unhappy no matter what. Yes, this pack does appear to have a lot of elements for storytellers or sandboxers. Which isn't a bad thing because they have kind of been forgotten as of late. And maybe they could have done more or done some things differently, but then a different group of people would be unhappy. EA can't please everyone. Its totally cool that some people aren't into this EP, but why let it get you so upset and irate?

Hmmm, i would ask the same of many people than why so serious. Why worry about what someone else has posted? I think it falls all in the same category we came here to have a discussion. I wouldn't care if it's positive of negative, all in all we're all fans of the game and come to this forum for a discussion. No one knows who is majority and who isn't. Unless you have statistics to back said proof up. As i've said in my thread even (if) we are the minority that wouldn't stop me from voicing out how i felt.

EA surely can't please everyone, however sims has apart of the fanbase dropping off from it. It focuses on type of people that play the game and alienates the other. In this sense EA can accomodate both sides by offering variety, depth, and detail. I don't know if I am the majority, and would not judge that based on forums. Since in that sense we all are the minority. Forums repersent a small part of the playerbase, that includes both sides. We very well may have people like me who like sims 3 but sit on the fence about it. We can swing our vote either way to buy or not to buy. Honestly i will just go play the other quality games in my collection that I have. The difference is if EA wants that money from certain groups than they'll have to open up appeal to those groups. I think they will.

As in my thread i was very happy to see interactions being brought it. I was very happy to see the focuse taken from a telling a story and placed on the acutal sims themselves. I was very happy to see so many ideas that people wanted being implemented. However those feelings are easily met with disappoints. Prom occuring as a rabbit hole event, infants being left out for detail. Beaches not fully being implemented, and still lack of quality things in the community for the sims to particpate in. I do not feel generations is unnecessarry. I don't even care that people feel this should have been base game. The point was it wasn't, yet they still heard us about what was needed and took the steps towards that. I think they will continue to do so. Negative feed back is viewed as bad for many. Here is the way i see it. Even if this customer has stopped buying, if i see them making a complaint it means they still have an interest in my product. Perhaps i can still get the sale. It's the ones that go away silently that you need to worry about. You never know why they left, and if that means it's the end of your product.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    barisaxy wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:
    barisaxy wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:

Buying it/Not buying it is not the point. Neither one of them makes me happy. I wanted Generations to be better. :?

It wouldn't be so much of an issue if all EPs could somehow get released at once (I know that's not realistic) and I could pick and choose which ones I like and which ones don't interest me. Instead, we get the EPs over a period of several years. And when the EPs are not improving the game where I really feel it should be improved (especially when an EP has a theme in which's potential is not met) I will be disappointed. It's a bit different from having all EPs at once. Instead it's a waiting game.

And if the past The Sims patterns are any real indication, we are pretty much half-way through this game's lifespan now. Issues that are not being addressed are becoming worrisome. However, from the EPs before this (particularly Late Night) I know that EA can fix them, and that's what keeps me watching and keeps my hopes up.

Anyway, again, there's quite a difference between being disappointed in an EP and not being interested in an EP. I wasn't really interested in Ambitions or World Adventures. I didn't buy them, and that was fine. But when it comes to an EP which has a theme that I am interested in, has a lot of potential, but is very disappointing I will post about it. It doesn't even matter if I don't buy it, it's not the point. That has nothing to do with anything.

OK so its an issue of waiting for something more to your liking and standards then, easy breezy good and simple. To me this is like why spend $40 on something that is apparently not improving your game play experience. And if NOT buying it also does NOTHING to improve your game play experience then you can by the logic, not buy and have NO improvement in your experience for FREE :wink:
  • Options
    PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited May 2011
    :)
    I have a question? What would happen if you didn't teach the teens to drive?
    :) Smile!

• Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited May 2011
    Puddinroy wrote:

Maybe they can't drive unless they learn, wonder if they ever fail and can't drive until they learn again. ha ha that my friend would be so funny.
  • Options
    DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    edited May 2011
    Puddinroy wrote:

They'd then drive like 90% of the people of Colorado Springs. Its not something you wanna see.
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited May 2011
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:
    21 days 14 hours 35 mins 28 secs

:shock:

@Trendhater73: First, yes I think EA has found a way to strip the sims out of its long lasting enjoyment factor that it once had in its previous to installments.
    Also yeah I think EA strategically made its first two eps/ even the third sort of to not expand much on day to day lives of sims so that when they finally added an ep to expand on daily life everyone latched on to the idea because we have been so depraved of home life interactions for so long...
    EA is very clever.
    (I'm saying this because you talked about how you still feel like your sims can't do much 3 eps in).

@SelahFreeAtLast: That is EA in your brain back to their old mind controlling tricks again.

Oh no no no. I never bought WA or stuff packs. I only buy those I am really interested in. Believe me, I am really interested in Generations.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter