Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointed or happy with the game?

Comments

• Options
    veggiveggi Posts: 171 Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm a little of both, really.

I haven't had too much time to play with it since I spent the first day making my sim and building a house.

The issues I have are:
    -Hairstyles are limited - there is no bob with bangs, not many hairstyles with bangs at all, and the short hairstyles are generally disappointing (manly or puffy/spiky). The male hairstyles suffer as well, but they are difinitely better than TS2s male styles.

-Glasses - all the eyeglasses are huge! The styles are ok, but do they really have to be Urkel-sized?

-The facial customization is pretty awesome, but I can't get my sim to look like myself. The mouths all look the same (bitter faced) and the neck isn't customizable at all (so all my sims have semi-turkey necks). I'd like more in depth customization here in order to fully tweak the faces. EDIT: I played around some more and was able to tweak the face better and it's closer to what I wanted.

-The limited amount of furniture is disappointing. I was hoping for some more modern items and less re-hashing of TS2 items. Also, the furniture doesn't seem to have very cohesive sets - it's a bit mismatched. The ceiling fixtures are very limited.
    However, I do like the new bookshelves and electronics.

-Why do sims run everywhere? Whenever I tell my sims to go somewhere, they run. It's annoying and tiring just to watch.

-Building is ok - choosing wallpaper and carpet is confusing because it's a little hard to tell what they will look like and some of the options don't have good descriptions. Door and window styles are limited and seem mismatched - there are styles I like, but they are the wrong size.

-Traits - the lifetime aspiration/goals are limited to choosing from five and there's no way to ask for more that might be related to your selected traits to come up. I keep getting the same goals. Maybe my sim doesn't want to be a professional author, tv newsanchor, or a master artist (or whatever that one is). I'd like to re-roll the goals based on selected traits and get more options. Not all bookworms want to be writers. :roll:

-Story progression is bugged and also not cohesive with making real stories. Our custom sims shouldn't randomly move out or have babies asexually. If I'm working on a relationship between two custom made sims in different households, I don't want to worry about the other half of the relationship disappearing during play. It would be nice to have an option to control several households at once - this way we could direct the sims in our storylines and still disregard the non-essential sims.

Things I like:
    -The Create a Style is pretty great. I like the amount of customization that we can control for all the different items - clothing, hair, objects. It's very engrossing.

-The new social interactions - what I've seen so far is fantastic. I like knowing what the non-controlled sim is thinking about my selected sim.

-Bookworm trait. Love this. I like all the traits, really, but the bookworm trait makes my day.

-Potential - the potential is there. I'm looking forward to actual gameplay to form more opinions on this. It seems pretty straight forward and close to TS2, so it doesn't have too much of a learning curve.

Some thoughts:
    In the future, I'd like to see some kind of auto-landscaping tool to fill empty yards with nice foliage. Maybe some presets of flower beds along the front wall and a couple trees in the backyard.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    StefSimStefSim Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2009
    I just can't get into it. I have always been excited about the sims. I have always played them. But it feels too complicated and confusing for me. The clothes were Ok, but I like being able to make them myself on photoshop. Not sure if I can bring them into this game. I made a cute little sim guy, got him a house yada yada..But it was so dissapointing when I took him out to eat..etc and I have to sit outside wondering what is going on. I can hear the clanking etc but I am totally out of his life..I got him to talk to a few people but they were not that friendly and then when I went to another area of town the same jerks were there. The house seemed too dark inside, and I had the graphics up all the way but I just wanted things to be a little faster so I toned them down a bit to what EA reccomends and it was tacky. I think my pc is strong enough for this but it's not the look I wanted...and the hairstyles..poor man didn't have many choices AT ALL..and I could have easily recolored on sims 2 so I think there should have been way more choices. I gave him a crew cut. What could I do.???

I think I could learn everything else but what got me the most was the camera. So hard to operate. I had trouble centering on anything. It frustrated me I got bored so quick.

I really really wanted to like this game and I have never had to pack up a sims game and put it away, except when I bought it on the xbox and this game feels like that. Maybe if I have some more paitence in the future I would get into it but I don't see that happening any time soon. Dissapointed that I can't enjoy it.
  • Options
    baykinsarbaykinsar Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2009
    I love it. Sure, there's bugs but the game JUST came out.
    There will be patches to fix most of the bugs that are there.
    You can't really expect them to release a game bug free; it seems pretty impossible.

Overall, I adore the game. It seems completely different from the previous games for me and its an interesting difference.
    My stories:
    Hello, Twinbrook
  • Options
    MJennifer1990MJennifer1990 Posts: 51 Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm on the fence about the game right now. I am a die-hard sims fan since Sims 1 came out. I have almost all the sims 1 and sims 2 games and have always been happy.

I played it last night for a couple hours and i completely hated it. I was disappointed and basically ticked of that i spent so much on a game i probably won't play. So i went to bed mad!

Then i woke up in the morning and decided to give it another chance and i have been playing it for hours. I'm starting to like it.

But the speed, omg is that so annoying. i made a whole breakfast while my Sims slept. I'm hoping the game makers can make a download for that, to make it faster. It takes forever to do one thing.

It's very hard to make people fall in love, takes forever, but i can deal with that.

I guess so far I'm getting used to the game, but we shall see, I'll give it a week before i give a "thumbs up-Thumbs down"

• Options
    YouarewonderfulYouarewonderful Posts: 108 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am a creature of habit, so I am of course not as thrilled as I could be, I was the same way when Sims 2 came out (in fact I reverted to playing the original Sims for a while when it came out, and then one day fell in love with 2...). However, I know over time I'll love all these amazing changes! I haven't been able to play for too many hours yet, so I'll probably grow to love it even more as time goes on.

I do have a few things I absolutely love already and a few things I'm not so fond of..

-Create a Style. For me, this is both the most amazing thing ever and a curse XD In the good way, of course! I spent an hour in Create a Sim customizing very single detail of the outfit, the accessories, etc XD I love it so much!

-My computer is a very new Mac with loads of space and ram and all that other technical stuff, and yet it still lags a bit...ah well.

-I love the traits(especially "easily excitable," that's me!)! I love all the ways they can interact with others! I love the fact that they can have favorites!

-As it's been said many times on here, not so fond of the fact that I can't go into schools/workplaces/etc...I didn't know that and so I was trying as hard as I could to get in...

-I don't like that the camera angle keeps changing...nothing too big, but I'm weird and I only like looking at the home from one perspective o.o

-One thing I'd wish they'd do eventually is have a control to adjust height.

-The faces kinda look the same to me? I'll have to work on this.

There's some other things I don't like, but that's because I'm really used to TS2...once I get used to this one and make a bunch more sims to fill up the town I'm sure that most of the qualms will go away.
  • Options
    WildHartzWildHartz Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Love the game hate the fact you cant make your own town. You can have more then one family, but hate the idea that are not where you left them. Played with family one for 4 hours went to family 2 they already had 2 kids. I didnt even get to name them. So one family is all you get unless you like big surpises. :(
  • Options
    Bonesaw40Bonesaw40 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited June 2009
    lots of change, but I do like them.
  • Options
    IceSolatedRavenIceSolatedRaven Posts: 30 New Member
    edited June 2009
    So far I've been wonderfully impressed with the game. However, I think it's still too early for me to really say if I am truly happy with the game or not. I wish the sims were a little more customizable (facial features), but the sliders are an absolute win in my book. However, I think I will need more play time because I don't know everything that I can do yet. If anyone else reads this, know that The Sims 3 is noticably different from The Sims 2, not in a good way or bad way, but different. I read earlier that it felt like a different company had made the game and I'm not totally opposed to that thought. Mind you, I still have greatly enjoyed what I've seen so far. I got the hugest kick out of watching my Sim sit on the edge of the bathtub to read the newspaper! The wind moving through the trees and bushes gives a lot of life to the surroundings and at night when the moons shines across the ponds on my sim's property it's enough to make my jaw drop. Time will tell if the gameplay will be up to par.

One rant- I hate The Store. Not because I'm paying for content, but because I think it's over priced. I don't like paying a buck for a single female hair cut that only applies to one age level. And I don't like the idea of paying twenty bucks for a single set when the stuff packs had way more much included, and more sets. If they were to cut prices in half maybe then it would acceptable.
  • Options
    IceSolatedRavenIceSolatedRaven Posts: 30 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am a creature of habit, so I am of course not as thrilled as I could be, I was the same way when Sims 2 came out (in fact I reverted to playing the original Sims for a while when it came out, and then one day fell in love with 2...). However, I know over time I'll love all these amazing changes! I haven't been able to play for too many hours yet, so I'll probably grow to love it even more as time goes on.

I do have a few things I absolutely love already and a few things I'm not so fond of..

-Create a Style. For me, this is both the most amazing thing ever and a curse XD In the good way, of course! I spent an hour in Create a Sim customizing very single detail of the outfit, the accessories, etc XD I love it so much!

-My computer is a very new Mac with loads of space and ram and all that other technical stuff, and yet it still lags a bit...ah well.

-I love the traits(especially "easily excitable," that's me!)! I love all the ways they can interact with others! I love the fact that they can have favorites!

-As it's been said many times on here, not so fond of the fact that I can't go into schools/workplaces/etc...I didn't know that and so I was trying as hard as I could to get in...

-I don't like that the camera angle keeps changing...nothing too big, but I'm weird and I only like looking at the home from one perspective o.o

-One thing I'd wish they'd do eventually is have a control to adjust height.

-The faces kinda look the same to me? I'll have to work on this.

There's some other things I don't like, but that's because I'm really used to TS2...once I get used to this one and make a bunch more sims to fill up the town I'm sure that most of the qualms will go away.

In regards to faces-
    I agree the faces look a lot the same to me as well, I think I just need to spend some more time in CAS to figure things out :-/
  • Options
    missaznkalimissaznkali Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This is the best sims game yet. It's no competition at all.
  • Options
    ohxmeganmeganohxmeganmegan Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I don't understand why so many people have so many problems with this game. I personally think it is amazing.
    The customization, the traits, how people interact.

I made a sim with the clumsy trait, and when she went to introduce herself to someone, she tripped as she was walking over. I think it's so clever.

Yeah, it lags sometimes, but it's not enough that I don't want to play the game.

I don't know. I love it. I'm completely happy.
  • Options
    WIZardman1000WIZardman1000 Posts: 38 New Member
    edited June 2009
    My computer copes with the game perfectly. I like the Sims 3 by far.
  • Options
    medina143medina143 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Extremely disappointed :(
  • Options
    jenheart15jenheart15 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm happy for many things but I am also very disappointed in a few things.

I love the people, but I thought they would make more fashionable styles of clothing.

I dont like, at all, how you CANT CHANGE THEIR HEIGHT!
    That's something I was reallllyyy hoping for........

I like how you can make them fat, though. ^_^

The time also goes really slow when you speed it up. >.>

But overall, I think it is a pretty great improvement from the sims 2, and definetly the first sims! :D
  • Options
    sims2alwaysrockssims2alwaysrocks Posts: 47 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have a lot of likes and dislikes. Overall I'm a little disappointed, but I'm still enjoying it.

I like the level of customization, the more realistic bodies, the quicker loading and saving times, the fact it hasn't crashed yet, being able to travel places, the aspiration-like wishes, the opportunities, the traits, the new social interactions, being able to upgrade objects.

I dislike how it takes forever to create a sim, the worse graphics (in my opinion), how it takes FOREVER to wait for them to get done working, the limited traits a sim can have(seriously? only FIVE? people are more complex than that), that you just go inside a place and wait for your sim to come out, how expensive the books are, less socialization (sims don't just come by), it's harder to advance in a career, The Store.
  • Options
    CrumlishCrumlish Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I’m a little disappointed actually, sure the ability to customize textures and colors is very cool, And the personality traits are awesome. But what about creating your own town from scratch? What about controlling multiple households? I feel very limited with S3 despite the freedom roam.
  • Options
    scifinut68scifinut68 Posts: 20 New Member
    edited June 2009
    scifinut68 wrote:
    I'm not sure if anyone has said this... There are a lot of things I like about the game; however, you have to have a whole separate "game" for each family you create and place in a home (I'm just trying to create families and move them into their homes right now). It sounds like the other families that I create won't interact with each other. That's disappointing. I can't figure out, yet, how to move them out of one house and into another one. I want to be able to use "motherlode" or even the Sims 2 cheat "familyfunds [family name] [$$ amount]" before I move them into a home. I also wish that the characters had the options to be a little more realistic (not so cartoonish).

I like the ease in which you can create and modify colors. Hopefully, there will be a "stuff" pack soon so I won't have to keep buying extra nice items.

If you click on options than "lessons" there's a tutorial on how to move Sims to one house from another.

It's driving me nuts, too that there's no "familyfunds" cheat. I also miss being able to place an empty lot, move a Sim in and build from scratch.

Thanks, Mikeysmom728. I'll go into options and find out how to do that.
  • Options
    StynkleStynkle Posts: 39 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Don't Like it. Very disappointing. I'd like to remind people who wrote they "like it and can't wait for an expansion pack" that, that doesn't make a good game. a $50 game shouldn't be OK, or could be better with an additional expansion pack. It is seriously not living up to its hype. :evil:

My likes:
    the lighting
    the expand a room tool
    create-a-style
    paying bills easier
    ease of separating households
    load time
    knowing what needs the baby has

My dislikes:
    create a sim (they are ugly and it takes forever-they all have Jay Leno chin or something)
    time (it takes forever to do anything, and wait for sims to get home from work)
    The organization in the interfaces
    Not being able to go in the building that the sim is working in or the stores
    the limited interactions
    the hair
    not having the numbers under the relationships(i miss those)
    not having pets, a servo, or the butler, or nanny (babysitter sucks)
    not having the look down on the plot tool when building
    where is the green coolaide to expand life?
    leaving the house is not all its cracked up to be..nothing is happening out there, there are no random cool things going on. so what?-was that worth yrs of waiting?no
    I'm bored with it already
    the traits are too extreme
    can't figure out how to marry people

• Options
    tiptuptuliptiptuptulip Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2009
    Love this game. I have been playing for hours without getting bored. It runs so smoothly on my computer, and I like the way it looks. I love that I can go to community lots with no loading screnes and I can even go visit all the neighbors. I like the traits and the opportunites. It's great!

The one thing I hate about it is the limited number of items and hairstyles.
    I think it's disgraceful to put so few items in a game, and then sell what should be in the game expensively at the store. If they were going to do that they should have reduced the game price, because $50 is the price of a complete game.
  • Options
    wubble_simmieswubble_simmies Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    My friend and I got so excited about it coming out so we rushed to the store to get it, then we realized you can't make your own neighborhood! What is with that? Is there a way to do that?? :?:
    :(
  • Options
    AlenuskaAlenuska Posts: 273 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm enjoying the game so far i played it all last night however i'm disapointed some things were missing like a hot tub diving board ect. I was also really disapointed there were no combat boots or very little clothing for people of alternative life styles / goths / punk ects. I hope custom content can remedy this however.
  • Options
    johnnydeppxoxojohnnydeppxoxo Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i like it! there are still so many things i have to find out though...i haven't made a sim with the evil trait yet....
  • Options
    ColorfulSmilesColorfulSmiles Posts: 126 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I really like it even though there are some things that can be better :D
  • Options
    ShxtiitzlalyShxtiitzlaly Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    is it just me or it wont let me enter the community buildings???
  • Options
    ShxtiitzlalyShxtiitzlaly Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i cant see wat my sims doin inside the building