Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you play with fashion trends?

My current households are very limited in what they wear, it's either uniforms (including casual freetime uniforms) or "anything that doesn't look too out of place at Batuu". Before that I played a 1700s save, with limited options, too. And my androids and cops also have to adhere to a dresscode.

But before all that, I remember how much I enjoyed incorporating fashion trends into my game. I'd decide on a color or style or a pack that was "in" and then my sims either followed or ignored that, depending on their personality. At one point around 2016 I also had specific styles for the worlds so that I'd see on first glance who was hailing from where. It was fun, and that comes from someone who couldn't care less for fashion irl.

Are you playing with fashion trends? Are you using, for example:
  • Mannequins
  • Thrift shop outfits
  • Celeb outfit copying
  • or your own fashion trends

Or is personal expression more important to your sims? Or did they find a happy medium between these two?

Personally I have disabled the celeb outfit copying with a mod. I want to keep control over my sims.

Comments

• Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

Saiwa and Noxee are the owners of Strawberry Cake Fashion. Sai started this a few years ago to sell Noxees clothes.
    4cdac20aa483812252d2e79dc83d33ecdc9cecdd.jpg

Then it became an online shop and now they have a store in Tomarang.
    They love to dress the Boys! And we so wish we had better clothes options for male sims (not looking at you, Manswear Fashion! 😑).
    Each of them has their own style and we often do photoshoots for the shop.
    And all their outfit categories are full! We always cry when we have to ditch an outfit for a new one 😭

ca23f5bed0e2afa715f1f4a2d043ce68d05adabd.jpg
    πŸ‘‡ ~15 pics below the spoiler ΓΆ.Γ–' 🚸
    1e837074e5bb9a583d66abefe2c368594649c3ca.jpg

And yes, there are also manequins. Jack was tired from setting up the store and dressed them in random outfits but they look surprisingly good :3
    0eb49e622ef78410bbc22d2f7affc8bb479dfa73.jpg

We followed many many trends and do specials often. Like here for the Simtimates Collection.
    8464ca381be535c6444fab99851a084a583ad28b.jpg

The Grunge Revival
    fdccc40cd83ba96e822b1270d7563781b1095b26.jpg

Or the Goth Galore
    0e91f70ae899bb016b40f7e95f6f80f9cf49af4e.pnj

From the Heidi Special
    6160ff78adebf5b29e68353528aaf70ae1433064.jpg

Western
    74c623f924025a375ebc2735ee17223ff8ea40db.jpg

70s
    5cd25037abca4f4c747ed4aa79c3ea55fe469f4d.jpg
    85ebfc192f42640747b183c325b9743dba3cc0e7.jpg

Thriftea Session at Tartosa
    43062468e623968c4130b908285dc7930734bbdc.jpg
    4b003e8bdd4178adfeb6ea8ad41fc629c5f5dc2d.jpg
    c2879ff8738f3f1884aa3cdf13065337fefdf288.jpg

Autumn Fashion and so many more.
    723c1f1fe4262368e43e40f9e9f610e0a78b6f20.jpg
    8a2e1002df68cc1c9bc6d4264538c951fa45d398.jpg
    b1d4a2c19093c9b83c9f3e7874cf052fd5d5d73d.jpg

Jeb took Sai to the Thriftea for their first date <3
    But they used to bicker a lot about fashion because Jeb always complained hahaha
    56cdc778ad4b514a2cabb68da7c5214a8ba5270a.jpg
    πŸ‘†
    And Vlad even died for fashion! (We were about to shoot these photos when a random vampire bit Ji Ho and we wanted to kill him via the killer bunny but it killed Vlad instead...)
    Jack and Ji Ho wear trendi outfits btw ^^'
    bd4320cd013b76660187e19a04927a0cd51caa99.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited February 23
    I don't really like to say I'm into fashion/trends because well fashion isn't into me and that would be awkward πŸ’”

but I do really like character creation so I tend to style my sims according to color schemes or their personality or whatnot to create their personal look I can instantly recognize them from :)

and yes sometimes/ most of the time tbh I do take into consideration the world sim lives in

tend to avoid anything that copies outfits cause it just feels off when Nancy Landgraab decides to copy Bella Goth like no. just no.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    And all their outfit categories are full! We always cry when we have to ditch an outfit for a new one 😭

I know the pain! Especially since I like setting the same outfit, but with/without cap, or with/without gardening gloves. Really wish we could take accessoires off and put them back on again (without resorting to adult mods).
    tend to avoid anything that copies outfits cause it just feels off when Nancy Landgraab decides to copy Bella Goth like no. just no.

Hard agree! Although I could see her don something mocking Bella and her style ;)

• Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    I like to style my main sims with their own personal aesthetic that fits their personalities . I’m always looking for cc to give them a unique look, and woe be to any random that shows up wearing something I’ve decided belongs to β€œmy sim.” My most played sims have all of their wardrobe categories filled. Secondary sims have at least three outfits per category. I let the game generated sims keep their mismatched clothing as long as they’re not wearing cc or anything that belongs to the main guys. They’re just lucky to get one outfit per category, and if I catch them wearing cc, they get re-dressed with my least favorite items and are forced to wear that eyeball ring forever. πŸ˜€
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    My sims just wear whatever looks nice on them, or what best expresses their personality. It may sound a bit controversial but I love stereotypes in my game (i.e. cheerleader, geek, jock, etc.).

But your idea of setting fashion trends for worlds and/or which packs are "in" is an interesting idea. I would have never thought of that. I may eventually steal that idea. Hope you don't mind. :)
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I play with a lot of characters so I put them in a lot of different outfits and I guess I have my own sense of style. I don't think I am one of the players who are very fashion-obsessed though. I don't use CC. I don't put on the false lashes or go for the types of looks that are popular among the crowd that really focuses on fashion in the game. I do think my sims mostly look great though and I dress them to reflect their personalities whatever those are. I do tend to have a lot of outfits that just "pop" for the sims that play with but that's just reflective of me. There are some that are kind of nerdy or just wear very average clothes as well and that's completely fine with me too. Those are jus sims who are not overly fashion-obsessed.

I have lately used Trendi a little bit and I started having sims make some additional outfits at the thrift store but I really just do that for certain stylish sims. More recently, I have moved onto following some of my graduates to university because I'm making a group of YAs that are my characters for whom I can then have some bigger gameplay.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    A sims fashion depends on their personality in my game. Seasonal outfits are tuned to fit the weather in the world they live in.

Recently, I've been exploring color themed sims and it's been really fun. I remember seeing someone on the S3 forums who did this for every sim based on their favorite color. I thought that was so unique but felt limiting so it's taken me a while to finally try it out myself. It's a nice challenge to see how creative you can be in this game since S4 does not have Create a Style.
    i7-13700K β€’ 16GB β€’ RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I don't use global or regional trends, but I keep additional DNA info and preferences for each sim to know pretty well how they will dress. Sims that I play in some depth will get numerous outfits percategory based on this, but less played sims might just get their everyday outfit right, and might appear in clothes not really reflecting their personality.

My parameters are color preference, mateial preference (not just for clothes as it can be ie Stone or Wood etc), Setting preference (indicating patterns/no patterns/cold/warm/simple etc). And I know how the sim balance between masculinity/femininity, how they feel about modern/traditional, bling/natural etc. I also wrote a script that calculates theyr preferred clothing style (re CAS) based on those parameters, but also including their type of skills and their traits.

So I feel most sims find their indivdual style, but no super trends really.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    edited February 25
    Jules Rico *just* got to the point where he could set trends via the style influencer career, and then Emmeline moved out and went to college, so I only had a chance to play with the trend feature a little bit.

I think it's really fun. I wish there were a way to make them more general. One specific outfit being the trend I see everywhere could get old quickly. Instead it would be fun if like, maybe blue is in, or striped leggings are in but in any color swatch, or this trucker hat with a sloth on it is in but the rest of the outfit could be anything.
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    I set trends in my game; it gives me a good reason to inject some historical detail in the way sims look.