Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited February 3
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    One thing I've learned: lighting is everything
    69w1231re5dx.png
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    69w1231re5dx.png

I can't even see her face. Definitely need more light there.
  • Options
    69w1231re5dx.png

I can't even see her face. Definitely need more light there.

Yes, that's the before image. Image on the left is after the improvements they added to the graphics.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited February 3
    I'm gonna say it - they need to work on the hair shader. And possibly the skin shaders. Both are better than they were, but they still don't look natural.

And don't at me about Sims. The Sims looks toony by design.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    They need a delay.
    Their characters are not ready yet. They look worse than TS3 sims.
    They should at least look as good or a little better.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Deadlines are important but having been involved in - entirely unrelated work - sometimes when dealing with something so complex decisions are made for better end results. I'm not someone keen on early access or even with any specific timeline to play any of these games though I'm a potential player. I'll say in their defense though that we can see that they have got a game that they are finishing. They're trying to make a better product and there are a lot of legal considerations that they face.

I'm less fond of how Paralives has been taking donations from future players and is very vague about a release date. Public pressure may change that for them but I don't like it honestly. As far as this taking money for Early Access? I mean, that's still going to exist, they're just pushing back the release date of a game that is nearing release. I find that less problematic. They also know that ultimately the game will make bank especially if it is more solid and if they even raise more investment. If they return some player money now, they're still going to rake it in later. Some of these same players would probably go for refunds if they don't like the product so it's a shell game as to what decision the developers make now.

At the same time, this is why I really don't spend time thinking about speculative games but I think this one is almost done. Also, while The Sims does need bug fixing and maintenance, they do get real content out there to players. I hope The Sims keeps producing more to play with but also that they work on bugs and that they increase the testing of what they release. Keep up the live service, basically. The two key words there are "live" and "service".
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    SimplyBrea wrote: »
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Then they may never release it, because I don't think that any lifesim (or even any modern game) can ever be completely bug free. It's simply a matter of how frequent and how disruptive those bugs are.

But I do agree that they shouldn't put a date on it until they're sure that it will be mostly stable on most systems.

I know they wouldn’t release it if it’s not completely bug free.. but pushing back on Early Access release because people want to complain about the graphics and animations of the game. It is never going to be free from criticism. I think they’re trying to avoid bad publicity on the game but people should know early access isn’t a complete game. I have been waiting on a true life sim game with customization and open world for ten years and now we have to wait couple more months or year(s). When May comes around, they may delay it again due to “feedbacks” they’re receiving. I will take gameplay over graphics any day. Graphics without gameplay is pointless.

I agree with you 100%. Look at how people love Minecraft and Untitled Goose Game. Even Undertale has lots of fun gameplay-and none of those games have great graphics. Baldi's Basics had terrible graphics,but people loved the gameplay. It's the gameplay that makes games enjoyable,not the graphics.

Look at games like No Man's Sky,Mass Effect Andromeda,and Gotham Knights-those games all had stunning graphics but horrible gameplay. Those games may of looked good,but they failed because the gameplay was garbage.

Life By You should have great gameplay when it releases-if there's nothing but stunning graphics and terrible gameplay,then nobody's going to want to play the game.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    At least one thing, the longer they delay it, the more of a chance that I will have upgraded/replaced my PC by then. All I need to do is up the RAM, and it's hard to do inside a compact case. But, my PC's about four years old, and I usually replace them every five. Besides, the current gen of the same prebuilt is the same cost as mine was four years ago; so it's actually cheaper than the PC it's replacing.
  • Options
    cody6268 wrote: »
    At least one thing, the longer they delay it, the more of a chance that I will have upgraded/replaced my PC by then. All I need to do is up the RAM, and it's hard to do inside a compact case. But, my PC's about four years old, and I usually replace them every five. Besides, the current gen of the same prebuilt is the same cost as mine was four years ago; so it's actually cheaper than the PC it's replacing.

Why buy a whole PC instead of upgrading individual parts?
  • Options

I had a Geek Squad guy from Best Buy tell me that parts for a computer are stocked for about 5 years. After that, you are better off buying a new computer.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member

I had a Geek Squad guy from Best Buy tell me that parts for a computer are stocked for about 5 years. After that, you are better off buying a new computer.

That's some horrible advice. It's cheaper and better to upgrade parts as time passes rather than the whole PC. My husband has been upgrading the same PC he bought when we first moved into our old apartment 10 years ago. One part gets old or goes bad and he just swaps it out.
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member

That's some horrible advice. It's cheaper and better to upgrade parts as time passes rather than the whole PC. My husband has been upgrading the same PC he bought when we first moved into our old apartment 10 years ago. One part gets old or goes bad and he just swaps it out.

My mom still has several old computers, I'm talking XP models that are still functional, if not being able to get online or do anything is functional. She has a vision of being able to take them to an expert and get them upgraded... I don't know if that's going to work out... But atleast I won't have to be the one to have that conversation with her... :D

I also noticed on the above photos, Roofs have a price in this game. At first I was like WHAT! Roofs cost money! Then I'm like duh of course roofs cost money. Its only in the sims that they are free. It will make playing rags to riches more interesting. But building interesting tricks with roofs where you double them up may be more expensive. Hmm? Pros and cons of everything...
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited February 6

The thing is and this pusjback .It feels less about the game and more about the community.It feels like it was pushback because they were scared of the reaction community.I think listening to the community is not bad.I think a lot people were expecting a more polish game.

It's an early acess games are not meant to be complete or bug free or polish.Early acess you get a build at a game a cheaper price support us,and we build on it latter.There some games I have hardly anything in it,but slowly updating it making it more fleshier.

I feel eveb comparission to soms 4 launch is bad as well.Sims 4 was not an early acess title.It was launch as full fledged game at full price.

I feel like team needs to have a meeting to decide do they really want to give early acess or can they? Because the constant pushing back the dflashier.will get old and will give them a bad mark.If they not sure they should remove dates and decide are they going to do it.

• Options
    Rob1992Rob1992 Posts: 56 Member
    It's sort of a loud minority issue, lots of us are fine with a early access game having glitches, but there's also a lot of people who will argue that any and all patches should only fix things and add functioning things. Which is fine for a release game, but if you have to spend dev time debugging every bit of beta functionality before you release it into early access, you'll get nothing done.

Like personally, i'm fine with them patching in a function which worked fine on their dev hardware. and then it turns out to break in wacky ways on a myriad of differently configured player hardware they couldn't predict so they have to release a hotfix or two. That's just the life of a beta game. I've played games in early access that used databases for information storage, and the SQL running it was rewritten so significantly within beta several times that you had like 6 instances over the years where just based on that alone you'd lose save file version incompatibility.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited February 9
    Join GM Rod Humber as he takes his character Fabian for a haircut and asks you some questions about what you would like to see in the open world of Life by You.

https://youtu.be/DTRpPUzPTUI?si=mNWtg2unCe0ZoCRj
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    They really need to get more game play into this they continue to default collecting every video. The salon works in the most basic way now but I want to see more from it like you pick your hairstyle then the game play of the cut and hair washing happens.

Also seriously why are the majority of "male" styles just converted long female cuts even when men have longer hair they style it differently. The one with the bangs. :s
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Alright the gameplay looks boring right now.The town looks incomplete.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    I don't know if it's just Rod's gaming style or what, but these constant collecting videos are getting old. We need to see how the characters interact together at something like a wedding or a dinner party. Also I want to see the town full of more than 2-5 characters at a time. Right now it feels like a ghost town.
  • Options
    I agree. Frankly, I’m still struggling to find a game that will replace Sims 2/3 for me. Paralives is the closest, but there’s a lot I still need from these other contenders.
  • Options
    Collecting and gardening are not my thing. I'm more of a social player. So I'd really like to see something like meeting the neighbor or going to a bar and socializing there.
  • Options
    I agree. Frankly, I’m still struggling to find a game that will replace Sims 2/3 for me. Paralives is the closest, but there’s a lot I still need from these other contenders.

I think trying to look for any of the games .To be a replacement for the sims is not good idea at this point.

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Collecting and gardening are not my thing. I'm more of a social player. So I'd really like to see something like meeting the neighbor or going to a bar and socializing there.
    Same the last time I really gardened in a Sims game was Sims 2 and collecting is just not interesting only way I'd use it all if it offered some really good item from crafting I could not get another way.

I really hope during early access the community gets onto them about group social interactions and activities it's one of the areas Sims 4 has failed at beyond just chatting and currently Life by You has the same issue though at this time a little worse as its one-on-one convos even though they are more interesting because real text.

Bars need to be designed so couples or friends naturally gravitate to each other if music playing friends should dance and have fun together as should couples music should naturally control dance styles if its rock music no slow dancing if its romantic type of music they do. Thankfully they have a good system in place already for relationships even one sided so I think the dating nightlife of this game could easily be made interesting if they could get some game play and animations in there to support the good system they have in place.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    https://youtu.be/H8IwOPS_kRg?si=sm7a3UUw4_Rongap
    I had to search for one of my old posts to find where this thread was placed.
    Anyway, new update.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    I think I'm realizing just how much I care about expressive animations, idle animations, and reaction animations. Sims 2 excelled at all of those.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top