Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    It's really refreshing to see that they listen to input and take action to give people what they want to have in their game. B)
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    I'm glad they are adding consequences. But I hope they don't lean into the exclusive support of "storytelling players." When I heard that, it reads:
    "we let you do whatever you want to fulfill the story you want. You can marry anyone in a day. Characters with opposing personalities can be forced to get along so that you make your story come true."

I still feel Sims 2 was the best game in that sim reactions and consequences added surprise and intrigue.

That's not what I took from his statement at all. I heard that they were considering all different types of players, and he included Achievers on that list. Achievers, that's players who want to play it like a game with consequences for their actions and a challenge to achieve things.

Of course how well those theories come out in the real game, we will have to wait until at least March 5th to see. Though it will still be in development during that time, and they will still be adding to it at that point.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,402 Member
    Sarah26Cat wrote: »
    I'm glad they are adding consequences. But I hope they don't lean into the exclusive support of "storytelling players." When I heard that, it reads:
    "we let you do whatever you want to fulfill the story you want. You can marry anyone in a day. Characters with opposing personalities can be forced to get along so that you make your story come true."

I still feel Sims 2 was the best game in that sim reactions and consequences added surprise and intrigue.

That's not what I took from his statement at all. I heard that they were considering all different types of players, and he included Achievers on that list. Achievers, that's players who want to play it like a game with consequences for their actions and a challenge to achieve things.

Of course how well those theories come out in the real game, we will have to wait until at least March 5th to see. Though it will still be in development during that time, and they will still be adding to it at that point.

I consider achievement-based players and wants-based players to be different.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    Having a studio head actually be humble and kind enough to listen to his team and the fans of his game, even if their ideas don't fit with his initial vision, is both refreshing and encouraging to me as a consumer. I was becoming very iffy about this game due to the less than stellar human visuals and animations. However I can see they are making improvements. Couple that with them actually listening to fans and not just giving us lip service, or worse yet, telling us to shut up and be grateful like another company I know... And yeah, they have won me over. I'm gonna buy this game on the day of launch now.
  • Options
    Having a studio head actually be humble and kind enough to listen to his team and the fans of his game, even if their ideas don't fit with his initial vision, is both refreshing and encouraging to me as a consumer. I was becoming very iffy about this game due to the less than stellar human visuals and animations. However I can see they are making improvements. Couple that with them actually listening to fans and not just giving us lip service, or worse yet, telling us to shut up and be grateful like another company I know... And yeah, they have won me over. I'm gonna buy this game on the day of launch now.

Couldn't have said it better myself. B)
  • Options
    edited January 24
    Thoughts?

Personally, I like this art style. It's like a fusion of Paralives and Life By You/Sims 3.

v5qi42pi37op.png
    nr7s04q1xs8s.png
    2d1hkoetm6cg.png
    q9xybx2xe74a.png
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    I think it looks great. Love how you can have a curved wall. B)
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Seems like Vivaland went with art style first it looks good I will give them that but it reminds me so far of what Sims 4 was originally designed to be. :# The world is tiny designed to bring in friends where your characters stand around chatting and only do things with other characters when you yourself force them to. I hope I'm wrong as I want competition in life sims so they are forced to do better.

Now with Life by You they did the complete opposite of Vivaland and went in strong with the game play systems such as retail being extremely mod friendly world editing lot placement the tools are there. Life by You put graphics last as they prioritized game play systems, I'm glad the sandbox was there before the pretty things in the sandbox.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Seems like Vivaland went with art style first it looks good I will give them that but it reminds me so far of what Sims 4 was originally designed to be. :# The world is tiny designed to bring in friends where your characters stand around chatting and only do things with other characters when you yourself force them to. I hope I'm wrong as I want competition in life sims so they are forced to do better.

Now with Life by You they did the complete opposite of Vivaland and went in strong with the game play systems such as retail being extremely mod friendly world editing lot placement the tools are there. Life by You put graphics last as they prioritized game play systems, I'm glad the sandbox was there before the pretty things in the sandbox.

This is how I feel. Life by You's world is huge and extremely moldable and to be honest, I'm tired of prettiness over substance. Yes the characters still need some work, but the world itself is gorgeous (to me at least) and the under the hood mechanics are fleshed out which will make the game fun long term. Graphics can be polished later.
  • Options
  • Options
    They look nice. I'm hoping I'll be able to make some European style houses which are my personal favorite. I'm confident they will also give us columns in building as well as many different kinds of siding. I'm still excited about being able to have circular stairs. B)
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    The game is improving, that can be clearly seen. I like the idea of being able to customize a lot. Originally, the whole thing just looked like Southern California which is great but isn't really "Life By You" if you want something else. I'm not lining up for early access because I'm just not in a hurry to do that. It is getting better though and I wouldn't rule it out if it keeps getting better.

Honestly, I have concerns with some of these games about how much the fan base communities push changes some of which are improvements but some of which make the games less interesting to me and less like something I actually want to play. I'm thinking specifically of Paralives and how much they keep changing based on catering to some fans. I'm going to kind of watch for the same thing about LifeByYou. It seems like they are going to try to listen to players but also keep a sandbox approach.

About the graphics, they are better but I honestly still don't love the look of the characters and some of the lighting. I get that not everyone agrees with me and that is cool but I still have TS3 and if I want to play that look, I can just boot that game up. That said, I like this game better now than I did. They should keep working on it. I also have played City Skylines and it is a fun game but I did get bored of it once I got used to it. I still would play it again but it doesn't draw me back in repeatedly. I'm going to watch for more info about replayable gameplay. I will say for The Sims, that I find them fun to replay.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    I noticed the beams in the picture with the small house. I hope this means we can put beams on the ceiling of interior rooms as well. That would look great on a log cabin or a great room with vaulted ceilings.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    I noticed the beams in the picture with the small house. I hope this means we can put beams on the ceiling of interior rooms as well. That would look great on a log cabin or a great room with vaulted ceilings.

I hadn't noticed that. That certainly would be a great option to have! B)
  • Options
    The bark on the trees make them look very realistic.

Fun to watch Rod learn how to do things like I would be learning. B)
  • Options
    The grass has changed the look of this game so much the world looks better than ever really liked the sunrise over the field of flowers as well the art team has really picked it up the last few months.

The random character they used did not look bad in this video and this is without all the planned changes for the face and bone structure. The hairstyle did a good job of showing off hair physics so nice to see movement after years of playdoh bringing us back to Sims 2 quality.
  • Options
    manicpot8tomanicpot8to Posts: 222 Member
    Color me surprised I did not realize they were this far along in development. I honestly don't think it looks terrible at least miles better than when I first heard about it. I'd definitely buy on launch just to see what it's about.
    28dul88f8gdo.png
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member

I hadn't noticed that. That certainly would be a great option to have! B)

@Aeroprincess87 @luvdasims55 That works in TS4! It's one of my favorite uses for spandrels ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2
  • Options
    I was not expecting another delay but I will support it once again they just showed me they want the best game possible. My only question is with this 3-month pushback do we still expect a year of early access since they now have modders and players already doing what we were all supposed to do in early access have an impact on the game.

The male in their blog post is looking good now it actually looks to have some facial expression so if 3 months improves something I already like even more I'm all for it.

8._LbY_Storyteller_Romance.png?w=1920&q=75
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
  • Options
    SimplyBreaSimplyBrea Posts: 145 Member
    At this point don’t put a date on it. Just release it when it’s ready and bug-free.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    SimplyBrea wrote: »
    At this point don’t put a date on it. Just release it when it’s ready and bug-free.

Precisely,this is just ridicolouse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top