Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I always keep one lot in my save empty, for poor households to stop for charging their cash balance before moving to their permanent address. It's not really a problem, just takes a couple extra loading screens.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    Oh no, moving sims in to unplayed apartment buildings using freerealestate was exactly how I was planning to fill my buildings! I certainly hope this was an oversight or a bug because that is not good. I don't have the pack yet, but I'll "me too" the thread anyway cause that's just not cool. I understand there's a workaround, but we shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do something we've been doing with no issues for years.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    This might be something I'm doing wrong rather than a genuine negative, but I couldn't find a way to upgrade a unit in Build/Buy while a tenant was living there. How are we supposed to improve the unit rating if we can't add furnishings, decorations etc while someone lives there? Unless there is a way and I just haven't found it yet.

My guess is that this is by design because adding furniture/decor would raise the rent. Maybe you have to wait for the lease to run out first.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    I haven’t tested it but i read on twitter it works if you capitalize it. “FreeRealEstate On“.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I thought I wouldn't be able to resist the new pack but after seeing all these reports, I got time to wait. Cut off for bonus items is January 18, 2024. :blush:
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I thought I wouldn't be able to resist the new pack but after seeing all these reports, I got time to wait. Cut off for bonus items is January 18, 2024. :blush:

That’s how I feel about it too. I haven’t even installed the patch yet. I’d like the bonus items, but I won’t break my game to get them. I’ve missed out on previous bonuses for this reason. It’s fine.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    This might be something I'm doing wrong rather than a genuine negative, but I couldn't find a way to upgrade a unit in Build/Buy while a tenant was living there. How are we supposed to improve the unit rating if we can't add furnishings, decorations etc while someone lives there? Unless there is a way and I just haven't found it yet.

My guess is that this is by design because adding furniture/decor would raise the rent. Maybe you have to wait for the lease to run out first.

Whot??? We can't rent out units that are not equipped? I don't want the landlord to decide how my sim shall decorate for the rest of their lives... How about households bringing their household inventory full of old furniture, including the old portrait of long gone Aunt Millie? It really should be allowed to pat Auntie on the wall in their new home! All heir lovely furniture, too!

Kid: Mommy, I want my huge fluffy friend in my new bedroom!
    Mom: Sorry kid. Landlord will not allow you that. You must try to make friends with that tiny ball that he placed in your room.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »

That’s how I feel about it too. I haven’t even installed the patch yet. I’d like the bonus items, but I won’t break my game to get them. I’ve missed out on previous bonuses for this reason. It’s fine.

Yeah, I'm not patched either. I never rush to patch these days unless I can't wait for whatever reason.

There's hope a patch could come out before cut off to hopefully address these issues but.... not likely. :disappointed:
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Objects keep disappearing when I place playground objects for kids for backyard of a residential rental lot, is this a bug or what??

Did you place those objects on a section of the garden that is assigned as part of another rental unit? In my test I have a rental lot with 3 units. I had no problems with anything placed outdoors, but then non of the outdoors area was ever assigned as units. Did not try those playground objects, though.

I am not sure, but I repaired my game and apparently it still rejected the object placements after the repair was done and I restarted the game. But it happened much less. I am playing with my friend right now. So the EA app game repair helped a lot it seems. However I am not sure about the garden as we never assigned it for another rental unit, it was the "shared spaces" garden for all the tenants, but the way I simply put the objects behind the house didn't allow me to assign the backyard as shared spaces as there was no floors or rooms created so it was just the plain terrain and objects. Also the objects disappearing glitch happened before our Sim family moved to the residential rental unit, in a regular Sims 4 residential lot. Actually it has happened in my game for a long time now every once in a while, I am not sure what causes it... :(
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    Ah so you can't set the lot to Residential Rental and set the units and then move in Sims from the Household 'Manager' via the world map?

You can. I did it that way. It's a pain in the butt though, especially if the new household doesn't have enough money to rent the furnished lot. I had to remerge and then split and cheat them enough money.

freerealestate cheat?

I don't have the pack yet
    but I feel like since apartments are like separate lots to the game you have to re move in your sims to these new lots anyway

would just do it all in manage worlds

Freerealestate doesn't work with the apartments. I tried it on multiple lots with multiple families as I was trying to move them all back into their apartments.

Free real estate is for buying the lots, I think it doesn't work because in apartments they pay rent, there is no lot purchase fee.
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I used the FreeRealEstate cheat to have my sim purchase the rental lot as the landlord, but her tenants would be renting so the cheat shouldn't apply to renters. If you want to move specific sims in, you are going to have to make them homeless because those are the only sims who will show up as possible tenants.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Free real estate is for buying the lots, I think it doesn't work because in apartments they pay rent, there is no lot purchase fee.

At first I thought this can't be true because you can use the cheat for CL and EL apartments, but then I remembered that those apartments require a deposit. Do the residential rentals require a deposit?

• Options
    The_MercuriaThe_Mercuria Posts: 159 Member

It took all day before I got an install so I was only able to peek at the world.
    20x15 and 20x20 lots in abundance ... are you kidding??? I had hoped for some room to grow.
    It's bad enough the world is so small but I never expected it to be that small. I feel like I paid $40 for a Game Pack, not an EP
  • Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    I was kinda hoping that the blackmailing would get more profitable with the mischief skill, but it doesn't seem so :( I just cheated the mischief skill to 10 and it still only gives 100$ :(
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

Wait. Adding furniture raises the rent? Is this just from the landlord side? Surely if a household moves in with their own furniture, it has nothing to do with the rent. Or if a household purchases furniture or upgrades, that comes from their own money, does that raise the rent too?
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Colorist40 wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I hope we can toggle the break ins. It sounds OK for some situations but I don't want this in all the apartments.
    .I want Mediterranean food. With the Mediterranean world of tartosa we got only Asian food so it would be only fair if this Asian pack finally gives us the Mediterranean cuisine we missed out on. Especially lasagna and ravioli. But I get an impression we only get more Asian food.

Break ins? I saw nothing of that in the trailer. I am very much hoping for more than just rentals, though. I'm a tad disappointed.

There was a sim girl bashing at a door and then held up a crow bar and then you see her in the apt. So yes it is a thing.

Bad enough my Rock Star has to worry about his Stan breaking in and taking mementos, now he'll have to worry about other unsavory Sims breaking in? LOL Will the police come if called?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    This pack seems a bit buggy. I ended up buying it last night and started building a rental lot. After I started assigning units, the game randomly generated a rental unit called "-300 Pebble Lane". When I tried to go in and delete it, the game completely crashed. I had been building for almost 2 hours without saving, so I was quite annoyed that it crashed on me.
    Not the best first impression of the pack....
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Colorist40 wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I hope we can toggle the break ins. It sounds OK for some situations but I don't want this in all the apartments.
    .I want Mediterranean food. With the Mediterranean world of tartosa we got only Asian food so it would be only fair if this Asian pack finally gives us the Mediterranean cuisine we missed out on. Especially lasagna and ravioli. But I get an impression we only get more Asian food.

Break ins? I saw nothing of that in the trailer. I am very much hoping for more than just rentals, though. I'm a tad disappointed.

There was a sim girl bashing at a door and then held up a crow bar and then you see her in the apt. So yes it is a thing.

Bad enough my Rock Star has to worry about his Stan breaking in and taking mementos, now he'll have to worry about other unsavory Sims breaking in? LOL Will the police come if called?

From my understanding, there are no autonomous break-ins. The break-in feature is something that the player can opt to play out themselves as the "burglar" or "snooper". So no real burglars, no police.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    edited December 2023
    I was kinda hoping that the blackmailing would get more profitable with the mischief skill, but it doesn't seem so :( I just cheated the mischief skill to 10 and it still only gives 100$ :(
    @flauschtrud Does blackmailing in the Strangerville pack get more profitable with higher mischief skill? I remember being disappointed that you can't make a proper living as a blackmailer there. Never occurred to me that it might be a skill issue.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    Eleri wrote: »
    @flauschtrud Does blackmailing in the Strangerville pack get more profitable with higher mischief skill? I remember being disappointed that you can't make a proper living as a blackmailer there. Never occurred to me that it might be a skill issue.

Hmm, no idea, I don't own Strangerville :D
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I agree with those who have said that the pack seems incredibly buggy: tenants invading others' rentals, landlords only being paid once during an entire in-game year, build mode lagging when placing wallpaper, community lots not working correctly because of fame, event outfits not working correctly, the residential rent system being confusing and lots getting stuck as rentals... seems like it's almost turning into My Wedding Stories' launch.

I'm not patching or installing this pack on my main computer this week (maybe this month). :|

• Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    I don't think I am playing the For Rent way at all. I am going back to the method I used before on my multi sim homes. Door locks (We have to use them anyway in For Rent) and short walls and room colors to separate the apartments. But is does work and I enjoy being able to see the whole building, instead of the blank squares.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    My only issue with this pack is that the shared spaces don't work that well. Meaning that my sims ex husband is renting a room from the family when I play him the tenant no one is around in the shared spaces. He can only interact with them if he is in their part of the house.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited December 2023
    It sounds like most of the bugs so far are specifically related to the landlord/tenant/residential rental system, which is not surprising, since that's the primary content of the pack. I'm just wondering whether I should go ahead and buy and download the pack anyway. As a rotational player, my current household is still in university. I was planning to have them play straight through to graduation before moving on to the next household, and I don't really have any interest in having that household use the residential rental system at this point.

However, I would like to have them take a vacation to Tomarang to celebrate graduation. I will probably also give them a kettle and slow cooker when they move into their first real home. Has anyone encountered any bugs so far that are tied to just visiting Tomarang or utilizing CAS or B/B? The only B/B issue I've heard about so far is the massive slowdown when the lot is a residential rental, but since, again, I won't be using that feature yet, it seems like it should be fine.
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited December 2023
    I’ve run into a few slight issues so far:

1. One side of my duplex had its rent at double the cost of the other despite them being nearly the same. I somehow got it back down too match the other side, but Idk what I did to fix it.

2. The one side of my duplex didn’t show in the world view. I had to add something to it for it to show.

3. My doors aren’t staying locked when I switch to the other tenant. My no trespassing options stay, though.

I’ll have to play some more to see how I feel about the pack. So far, I think the idea is cool, but these slight annoyances make me think that the execution probably could have been better.
    Post edited by SimDork23 on