Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Aren't door knobs supposed to be on the right hand side of entry doors?

When you enter a building from the outside isn't the door knob supposed to be on the right hand side of the door? I honestly have never thought about this in game before but tonight I noticed all my doors on my houses have the knob on the left hand side? What? Is this a glitch or a mistake or what? I think I remember in some of the earlier Sims games you could jiggle the door back and forth and the knobs would move back and forth (if you had enough room on the wall to adjust it) but I couldn't get that to work in Sims 4.

Comments

• Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Is this a glitch or a mistake or what?
    This community really thinks anything is a glitch or mistake
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,924 Member
    The door knob is on the left side of my home's front door.
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

This is really interesting.
    So the front door of the building where I live has the knob on the right side (viewed from the outside, but otherwise it would block the stairs).
    My flat door on the left side (viewed from the outside).
    And my neighbor's flat doors on the right side (viewed from the outside. In the same building on the same floor!).
    I never payed attention to that ^^' But I think, since our flats are mirrored, the open flat door would block the bathroom door.
    My daughter's flat has the knob on the right side too (other building, viewed from the outside, otherwise it would block the counters).
    But the building's front door: left
    Where I lived before: right, where my daughter lived before: left hahaha, I think it depends what lies behind?
    When you ask google to show you entrance doors, most knobs are left. Maybe because most people are right handed and open the door with the right hand?

6b0022f555402d3941aebb9bea0a1ea864b3e2d8.pnj
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    It all depends on the inside layout. The front door knob on my house is on the right because it opens up against a wall on the left, if the door opened the other way it would block the stairs on the right.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 443 Member
    edited October 2023
    For me, it's not whether the front-door knob is on a certain side, it's ensuring that the front door opens inward.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited October 2023
    i7-13700K β€’ 16GB β€’ RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,944 Member
    It's left for me!

It can be on either side. Plus as previously said, you can flip doors by rotating them (though using , and . buttons is simpler...).
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,442 Member
    In real life door knobs can be left or right. It depends on the layout of the house and the direction in which the door is supposed to open.

I sims you can rotate doors by pressing < and > while placing them. (on my azerty keyboard this is, and ; ) For doors that look the same on both sides, this works very well. For doors with a different appearance on both sides, for example some of the realm of magic doors, flipping them makes less sense.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    edited October 2023
    Most people are right handed. Which makes it easier to open the door if the knob is on left side, because after the door is open then your right hand is on the same side of your path as the door :). If the area left and right of the door is kind of narrow, it is also easier to use a key if the lock is on the left side of the door. If on the right side, your arm would easily bang into the "whatever" is next to the door. When lock is on left side, you get the entire door width as your "working space".
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,975 Member
    I have both configurations for doors that lead outside irl and I think it just depends on what is in front of the door or behind the door

also like sometimes you have to alternate which way door opens/which side has knob cause otherwise you'd get stuck in corner

you can turn around most of the doors in the game to have knob either side but it will also affect if the door opens in or outwards and some of the doors have different look inside and outside so it'd look silly
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,925 Member
    It's about 50/50 here. I noticed a lot of exterior doors riding to work today after reading this question :)

If I were to guess, it would have to do with the flow of traffic inside when the door is open-- preferring for the open door not to block a hallway or other door for example.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I have both at my house.
    • Front Door = Knob on Left
    • My Bedroom Door = Knob on Left
    • Daughter's Bedroom = Knob on Right
    • Bathroom Door = Knob on Left
    • Back Door = Knob on Left
    • Basement Door from Kitchen = Knob on Right
    • Outside Basement Door = Knob on Right
    • Outside Garage Side Door = Knob on Right
  • Options
    FlamingoKicker1FlamingoKicker1 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2023
    Oh, this is very helpful.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Keep in mind, rotating the doors with <,> won’t work for all the doors. Some doors have a glass window with a tiny curtain, flower pot hanging, or some decoration that is meant for them to be on a specific side
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Actually all doors have both. The door knob is always on the left on one side and on the right on the other as there is typically only one door knob that is on both sides. My front door knob is on the left on the exterior and on the right on the interior. My back door is the opposite.
  • Options
    TebanGreenTebanGreen Posts: 54 Member
    The beauty about Sims is that you can use either. Depends what's on the other side of the door. I prefer front doors to open inwards, but I've come across many in real life that don't. For internal doors it purely depends if there is room for my Sim to enter a room or not.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,641 Member
    When you enter a building from the outside isn't the door knob supposed to be on the right hand side of the door? I honestly have never thought about this in game before but tonight I noticed all my doors on my houses have the knob on the left hand side? What? Is this a glitch or a mistake or what? I think I remember in some of the earlier Sims games you could jiggle the door back and forth and the knobs would move back and forth (if you had enough room on the wall to adjust it) but I couldn't get that to work in Sims 4.

I don't know, personally, of any hard and fast rule as to which side of the door, the knob is supposed to be. In my current RL house, the front door handle is on the left. One of the bedrooms upstairs, the knob is on the right, but that's mostly, I think, because the room opens into a large hallway. My loft office is on the opposite side of this room. But the bathroom and front bedroom doors have the knob on the left, as well. So, there's a real live example.

If you click and hold the door upon placement, I believe you can still change which side of the door the knob is. Same as the windows.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 368 Member
    edited October 2023
    It depends on the builder's or owner's preferences. There are no hard and fast rules. Also aesthetics and layout play key roles. Turn it the way you want.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    It doesn’t matter in game like it does IRL. But I try to hang the doors in a sensible direction. In my last apartment there were 2 cabinets that opened into the room instead of flat against the wall, and someone rehung the bedroom door so that it would open against the wall but then it blocked the light switch. At least our sims don’t have to deal with inconveniences like that.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,402 Member
    I'm pretty sure it depends on which side of the door you're facing. By default, it appears on the left from outside the room, but on the right when viewed from inside the room. Like others said, you can flip the doors around, but this also makes the doors open outside the room not inside it. But with doors, it's important that they allow for easy traffic, so the way they open depends on the layout of the house. Also, for fire safety and easy evacuation, doors in public places are supposed to open to the outside.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    We replaced our front door this year and were given the option to get a version that hung right or left.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER β€” Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.