Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many pics do you use for your sims blogging?

I feel that I might be using too many pics when I do the legacy stuff. I usually have about 20, but I cut it back for getting the better pictures. When I post I don't want it to feel to pic heavy for others, so I try to not post a lot. I'd say my normal is about 6-10 in a post, approximately.

What do you stick to, or do you just post whatever you feel is needed?
Feel free to add me to your Sims 3 friend list! I'm DMCharlie2017

Comments

• Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

I blog with text between the pictures and try to stay under 10 pics too.
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    When I copied my chapters to the forum, I tried to always limit the number of pictures to 10 (and an absolute maximum of 15) because with multiple posts in a thread there could easily be several hundred images hidden behind spoiler tags on a single forum page. Now that I don't copy posts over anymore, I use 10 to 30 large images. I think more is generally better and that we can do a lot of storytelling with images alone, so I don't think you need to cut back.

I try to make sure every image I post has a unique purpose and that I've covered all my bases (an image that sets the scene, another from a different angle to make it slightly more interesting, etc.).
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member

53230013936_1507a58c3e_k.jpg

Well @CharlieBleu ... I don't think I ever thought about it ... :D

There's plenty of people that will tell you any number of things, but what you produce is your 'product'.
    It needs to appeal to the consumer, but it is also still what you offer the consumer ... Your creativity.

Share at Will ...
    And Happy Simming ... <3

51500032713_3128cf51af_k.jpg

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    SprottenhamSprottenham Posts: 1,144 Member
    edited October 2023
    Probably way to many... I always start every play session with a blank page, no plan for what's going to happen (usually, but there are exceptions), and then I leave it to the sims autonomy or whatever their wishes are.. so, if "sim x" wants to go to the park, "sim x" will go to the park, and so on..
    Whatever "sim x" does while he/she/it's in the park is up to "sim x".. I'm just there to screenshot what happens.. then try to pick the most interesting ones from there..

I always keep it in the back of my head to limit the use of screenshots, but then again, since technically there is no plot in advance, I don't know which social interaction/action is going to be significant for what happens in subsequent chapters, and I always have this "fear of missing out"...
    Also, I usually don't use 'hideheadlineeffects on', because I also want to use their thought/speech bubbles as a part of the story.. that's hard, because sometimes they appear random (they probably are) and don't make sense. This is where I'll usually end up ignoring them/leaving those scenes out anyway.. if I just can't have a clue what they're talking about or why. ;) But when they actually do make sense.. it feels good, sometimes a little creepy, like wow... there's actually something intelligent and coherent in there afterall. Especially if it fits with the idea of who I think the person a.k.a. "sim x" already is...

BlackSand wrote: »

There's plenty of people that will tell you any number of things, but what you produce is your 'product'.
    It needs to appeal to the consumer, but it is also still what you offer the consumer ... Your creativity.

I agree.. when it comes to whatever is the actual story, I don't think (to much) about having it appeal to anyone.. it has to appeal to me first and foremost, or I just wouldn't do it... the only adjustments that have happened are 'dumbing things down', since I have to use words like juice and woohoo for the more grownup things... and sometimes toning the occasional thing down here and there to fit the forum..

Well.. but now that I'm not posting it only on my blog the will to tone things down aren't as strong anymore... and though I want people to find it interesting, I'm not, and have never, put a limit to topics I will cover... there are limits though, but they're self imposed..

Do what you want and have fun with it... it's your thing, not somebody elses.. as long as you keep your dark and twisted stuff only on paper or in an imaginary simulated world, I see nothing wrong with it... it might even be a good thing...

Yeah, I just went from the number of screenshots to that...
    th1das9.png
    Sub blogs: #01 Sunset Valley. #02: Lake Onebega #03: Sprottenham #04: Bewickton
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member

@Sprottenham ... With your Spoiler, I do the exact opposite ... :D
    You are correct that we all have our own way of playing and our own Self-Imposed Guidelines.
    My primary and almost only Guideline is ...
    "I play the game ... The game does not play me."

What that refers to is that I chose the course of actions my Sims take with only a little guidance from Wishes.
    Otherwise, to me, the game would be watching a bunch of randomly generated digital graphics with no real direction or purpose.
    EA did a decent job on the platform in how a Sim's traits may guide their actions, but I still find that lacking.

I also always play with 'hideheadlineeffects on' because I am particular about screenshots ...
    And the Idea that when I am looking at the same interactions between my Sims ...
    My options and their conversations are not limited to the game's platform.

When they are talking or interacting ... I create the conversation and the game doesn't.
    I find the conversations I create a bit more interesting at times ... :D

Either way ... That's the beauty of the game, and to me, especially the Open World in Sims 3.

Oh ... You can write a story that has pictures ... Or you can tell a story with pictures.
    Here's an entire story in 12 words on one screenshot and 12 pictures.
    There was bit more to the story ... But you can tell what happened.

Explore your Creativity and Imagination ... Happy Simming!

50170724482_a5383ab68a_k.jpg

50240757098_f9b33a6457_k.jpg

50207146562_14b222bc18_k.jpg

50252573931_9ead232ef0_k.jpg

50214829501_cb5fdcd903_k.jpg

50248761607_c006a0cd58_k.jpg

50248561711_338a9ee104_k.jpg

50251915248_878a5d9e2c_k.jpg

50230581441_4428c6115b_c.jpg

50301120318_c97f621ecb_k.jpg

50301122108_411b3d07e5_k.jpg

50325365641_f6f8e13acc_k.jpg

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member

Well it just depends on how many pictures that I take while I'm in the game and which ones I like better. I end up taking anywhere from 40 to 60 pictures during gameplay which I try not to do as I don't want a lot to have to upload to imgur all at once, so I try to my keep picture taking to about 20ish so that I can rename my pictures to something like 1, 2, 3, etc, then I'll move them to the proper folder in my screenshots folder that I keep outside of the Sims 3 file before uploading them to imgur. I then afterwards either go back to my gameplay and take more pictures or I will then add the pictures to a new thread or an existing thread of mine while creating the story for the pictures. If I have 20 to 60 pictures that I need to create my stories for, then I will create a couple of postings as I try to limit my pictures for each posting. So if I have 30 pictures that I want to share, then I will create 2 postings with 15 pictures in, 40 pictures will be 20. But if I have 60, then there will be 3 postings as I will try to keep my picture limit to 20 per posting. Then sometimes, I might not use all of the ones that I did take and only use a few of them as it just depends on how I feel at the time or how much time I have at the time before I have to go do other stuff.

One of the reasons why I try to limit how many pictures per post is because I don't want the readers to start to get too bored with the high amount of pictures in the post and then decide to just scroll through the post without reading the content in the post. I know that there are some people who will post quite a few pictures in their but when they do that, their whole post takes up the entirety of the page, meaning if you look at the sidebar at the edge of the right side of the page, the gray bar will be almost at the top of the page instead of near the bottom where it was before someone unhides the spoilers in the post. And so when it gets like that and I try to read their story and look at their pictures to see what's going on in them, I tend to lose interest and will just scroll through looking at the pictures instead of reading their storylines for each picture or sets of pictures. I'm sure that there are others the feel the same way about my postings as well which again is why I try to limit my pictures per posting.

@Nikkei_Simmer, has created a thread last year titled 'Writing Tips' where he posted some of the things he does when do his storytelling... :)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/18084284#Comment_18084284
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    It depends where it's being posted. I think 6-10 is a good number for a forum post (especially in more general threads where people might not be reading it for your content) but I put the limit higher for dedicated story threads and personal blogs. I keep my Outrun the Scythe posts under 30 pictures when possible. The limit came from another forum capping story posts at 25 images, but it tends to load quickly in my blog when I test it outside of my house so there might be some wisdom there idk!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member

I think what @lisasc360 said about not posting all the pictures you take is a good advice and I've heard many bloggers do this.
    For my story I take at least 3 or 4 x the amount of screenshots I actually post.
    So I can pick the most interesting and beautiful ones.

In general I learned a lot from other bloggers. In both ways. What would I do like them and what do I not like and make different?
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I don't think the number of pictures are that important as long as you think they are nice and necessary to your storytelling. The problem is when people quote and don't erase the pics, which make the pages too pictureheavy :s
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member
    My first few generations I limited myself to 9 but for Gen IV and V I’ve gone up to 12. I’ll often use carousels for things like birthday cake poses/transformations so that individual images are quite different. I try to avoid duplicating similar images unless it’s a really intimate scene like a conversation where I want to show changes in expression or body language as part of the story.

I would say, I have never read a SimLit and thought there are too many images but I do think there’s a balance/ good ratio to be had between images and text
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,216 Member
    @CharlieBleu - The best advise I can give, is to use as many images as needed to tell your story or convey your message. There are many tricks you can use to reduce the number of images you are uploading if you feel you are using too many. One is to crop, reduce and combine multiple images into a single image.

Another trick is to add text to an image which contains a bit more information or story thereby eliminating the need to add additional images. Taking multiple screenshots of the same moment from different viewpoints is always a good idea. This way you can choose which picture will best suit your need.
  • Options
    SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    I keep it to at least ten, often with a bit of commentary
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited December 2023
    ~evil smirk~

As many as it takes to get the story across. Or to convey the "emotion" that the story is supposed to generate. Do closeups. Use cc-Poses...do everything you can to have your story give that emotional punch that will keep readers coming back.

Also I have a lot of saves for one story (this way I don't lose saves because something went corrupt. The second reason for this is I want to touch up certain sections of my story, it means I have places where I can start from to redo some of the pictures. (my sims are actors, so it allows me to go back to scenes and recreate them if need be if the pictures aren't conveying the emotion I want the story to tell).
    HYijBEM.png
    All the saves with the names with TCL in them are a part of my legacy, that way I can find them easily...and I also have a 2-3-letter code to identify which world I'm using, so that I know that CG_TCL_03 is the third save in my Cape Garner The Chikamori Legacy save.

In a conversation, I take multiple shots...as the facial expressions of the sims change (just a minute eyebrow twitch can convey a different emotion) and I also use cc-Poses in any case as far as complex conversations such as an argument.

KieVdap.jpg
    sometimes, though the EA animations provide me with perfect setups, such as this shot where Yasunobu was telling Mayumi (Haruo's evil/mean-spirited (narcissistically abusive mother) to finally get the hell out! And she's going where am I supposed to go? and Yasunobu is saying "I couldn't care less. I've had enough of your mental mind-twisting".

My story chapters each are 20 pages (minimum) of text and my sims' lifespans are set on outrageously long or I turn off aging all together and use timeskips to get what i want of my story...and the images augment that. I'm a narrative story-teller and not so much of a let my sims wander around creating their own story. I use the sims to tell the stories I want to tell.

Then again, I'm old so there's lots of stories to tell ~smirk~

On Chapter Two of my Legacy; I’m halfway through Page 11 of 21 pages and I’m at 115 images. 🤣

Every bit of emotion is wrung out of these sims. And frankly, sometimes I have retake the scenes multiple times to get the pose that I want to convey the emotional scenes that I want to portray in the Legacy. Haruo comes from a background of being a survivor of “narcissistic abuse” so he’s a bundled up “ball of rage”. River on the other hand, well, she just barely understands the tip of the iceberg of what Haruo went through at Mayumi’s hands.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~