Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Horse ranch negative discussion.

Comments

• Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    The cave thing isn't my cup of tea, but it's unique gameplay with a bit of depth to it. Why didn't they cover it sooner? It's not like the "livestream" had too much to cover or anything.

Other than that, the pack feels like such a downgrade from Sims 3 Pets. Sure, horses have better CAS, horses have more skills and children can ride them. But competitions are worse. There are no unicorns. You can't control horses. They take up a slot in the household, but the game doesn't adjust household size so you can have more sims/animals in it. There are less variants on the training equipment.

Aside from nectar making and the mini animals, you could get everything this pack offers and more with Sims 3 Pets. And nectar making came with World Adventures, along with a lot more stuff. If you bought those two EPs, you'd have more content and would have spent less than you would on 2 Sims 4 EPs and one SP.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    LSM36 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we actually get the crops for the Three Sisters Chili? Especially since they included the part about planting them on the same plot? I have the feeling we didn’t. Especially since the English Simmer’s video hovered over the recipe on the grill and it required onions and tomato. But that kinda feels like an obvious miss.

From the reviews i watched, they unfortunately didn’t, which I feel was a big missed opportunity.

Ikr?? Who wouldn't want to be able to plant some corn at least? And how different can squash be from pumpkin (CoL), would that be so hard to add?

im really glad i wasnt the only person really dissapointed by this. When they specifically mentionned the 3 sisters chilli and went in to the detail of the growing method i just assumed that making such a strong reference to growing the crops together that they would have added them to the game.... seeing how they were talking about having added so many cultural references to the indigenous community... i mean... i was hoping for a new kind of bean, a maize/corn and a squash harvestable and then in my dream world if you grew all 3 plants together, perhaps in a designated 3 slot planter you would then get a boosted crop/yield when harvesting, compared to the individual crop of the plants alone, because that is the whole point of the 3 sisters.

Dev's, Gurus... it's not too late to add the 3 sisters crops to the game as harvestables and a 3 sisters raised bed, as a future basegame update... perhaps in time for harvest? I think it would be wonderful and would make a great addition to the game in line with a food/recipe overhaul as the menu for cooking has become so overcrowded now, it could really do with some ability to organise the recipes by more than just skill level- sweet/savory/snack, world/culture pack, meat/fish/vegetarian/lactofree, base recipe/unlocked/discovered recipes. It's time we had a recipe book that really can cope with the diverse range of recipes we now have in game, that all recipes are updated to have the simple living ingredients requirements and chuck in a couple of new harvestables to fill in some of the ingredient gaps across the recipes.
  • Options
    TartosanVigneronTartosanVigneron Posts: 24 Member
    Apparently the price of nectar doesn't match the value of the harvestable. I just saw a review where the person said a bottle of nectar made with 3 dragon fruit was only worth around 300 simoleans before aging... :-/
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Does anyone know if we actually get the crops for the Three Sisters Chili? Especially since they included the part about planting them on the same plot? I have the feeling we didn’t. Especially since the English Simmer’s video hovered over the recipe on the grill and it required onions and tomato. But that kinda feels like an obvious miss.

From the reviews i watched, they unfortunately didn’t, which I feel was a big missed opportunity.

Ikr?? Who wouldn't want to be able to plant some corn at least? And how different can squash be from pumpkin (CoL), would that be so hard to add?

im really glad i wasnt the only person really dissapointed by this. When they specifically mentionned the 3 sisters chilli and went in to the detail of the growing method i just assumed that making such a strong reference to growing the crops together that they would have added them to the game.... seeing how they were talking about having added so many cultural references to the indigenous community... i mean... i was hoping for a new kind of bean, a maize/corn and a squash harvestable and then in my dream world if you grew all 3 plants together, perhaps in a designated 3 slot planter you would then get a boosted crop/yield when harvesting, compared to the individual crop of the plants alone, because that is the whole point of the 3 sisters.

Dev's, Gurus... it's not too late to add the 3 sisters crops to the game as harvestables and a 3 sisters raised bed, as a future basegame update... perhaps in time for harvest? I think it would be wonderful and would make a great addition to the game in line with a food/recipe overhaul as the menu for cooking has become so overcrowded now, it could really do with some ability to organise the recipes by more than just skill level- sweet/savory/snack, world/culture pack, meat/fish/vegetarian/lactofree, base recipe/unlocked/discovered recipes. It's time we had a recipe book that really can cope with the diverse range of recipes we now have in game, that all recipes are updated to have the simple living ingredients requirements and chuck in a couple of new harvestables to fill in some of the ingredient gaps across the recipes.

Heavy on organizing the recipes. A few years ago I posted about something like that and mentioned even making it like a recipe book passed down from your grandmother. And in the way of modders always doing 1 better, there’s like 7 cooking mods like that, unbeknownst to me at the time. The sims could definitely implement something like that with just their recipes. And make cooking so much easier. Plus then those mods would have an even easier time working with the game. It’s crazy how laggy the regular cooking interface is. As it stands we probably won’t even be able to Find 3 sisters chili when we want to cook it, without clicking 3-5 times.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    LSM36LSM36 Posts: 593 Member
    Apparently the price of nectar doesn't match the value of the harvestable. I just saw a review where the person said a bottle of nectar made with 3 dragon fruit was only worth around 300 simoleans before aging... :-/

Idk maybe it’s how you grow it. I watched a few vids and it looks like you need to use the manure to fertilize it, make sure to evolve the produce, and for best results age it in the racks in a cellar. They only showed a handful of recipes too, only a few were based in individual fruits/ veggies. So maybe things like dragonfruit don’t count as special if they go into a nectar where any fruit works. Or it could be that that’s as far as it’s base price could get. Bc I’m pretty sure the strawberry nectar was worth a lot less than that at first, and ended up being worth like several hundred.
    Check out my posts in the Ideas corner, and see the Simsverse living inside my head. :blush:
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member

Totally! Quite disappointing tbh.
  • Options
    SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member
    edited July 2023
    Two new skills (riding and nectar making were added in Horse Ranch, but zero new club activities were added with the pack. This feels inconsistent and disappointing, but would love to see them added in a patch. New activities are added with just about every pack, so this feels like an oversight.
    Post edited by SappySifaka on
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    I can see how you wouldn't be able to create a riding club because you'd need both humans and horses to be club members, and horses can't join clubs because they're not controllable. They're also not objects you can place on a lot and "use," like goats and sheep. Begs the question, can you have a club where you care for goats/sheep? Seems like that should be possible.

However, I don't see why making nectar couldn't be a club activity. It's probably an oversight. (And not a surprising one.)
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    It's possible that neither horse riding nor nectar making work as autonomous activities. While some existing activities are like that, I don't see much point in adding those.
  • Options
    I can see how you wouldn't be able to create a riding club because you'd need both humans and horses to be club members, and horses can't join clubs because they're not controllable. They're also not objects you can place on a lot and "use," like goats and sheep. Begs the question, can you have a club where you care for goats/sheep? Seems like that should be possible.

However, I don't see why making nectar couldn't be a club activity. It's probably an oversight. (And not a surprising one.)

You make a good point regarding the riding club concept. I hadn't considered the complications of a riding activity requiring horses as club members. That is a fairly reasonable explanation and I can see why they would have chosen to avoid those complications. But yeah, with nectar making, I just don't get it. They've enabled autonomy for knitting and cross-stitching as club activities, so I don't see why they couldn't do it for nectar making as well.
  • Options
    EvvieSimmerEvvieSimmer Posts: 134 Member
    Awww that is disappointing. They should have at least included nectar making. Hopefully it'll be added in a patch in the future
  • Options
    musteni wrote: »
    It's possible that neither horse riding nor nectar making work as autonomous activities. While some existing activities are like that, I don't see much point in adding those.

They've enabled autonomy for knitting and cross-stitching as club activities (just in the recent patch), so I don't see why they couldn't do it for nectar-making as well. Fingers crossed they add this in with a future patch, because it feels like a mistake more than anything. Horse-riding I've realized would be a bit more complicated. I'd be happy just with a nectar-making club activity to be honest.
  • Options
    Chemina78Chemina78 Posts: 4 New Member
    Made an account just to say this: It broke my game and I never had this problem before. It is unplayable and I do not have CC, not one and it has all updates and whatnot. After a few minutes of playing it freezes. I have nearly all expansion and packs, missing a few kits and a good gaming pc. Build/buy lags. If this is gameplay that requires the user to only have base game so it will run smoothly - then the company should say so or not sell it. Full stop.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Chemina78 wrote: »
    Made an account just to say this: It broke my game and I never had this problem before. It is unplayable and I do not have CC, not one and it has all updates and whatnot. After a few minutes of playing it freezes. I have nearly all expansion and packs, missing a few kits and a good gaming pc. Build/buy lags. If this is gameplay that requires the user to only have base game so it will run smoothly - then the company should say so or not sell it. Full stop.

Hi, welcome to the forums! Have you tried restarting your computer?
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    HoneyinmyteaHoneyinmytea Posts: 15 Member
    I'm really upset that the barrel racing has 2 barrels not 3. What they have in the game is not barrel racing, and is frankly insulting to all of us who compete/used to compete for that to be passed off as barrel racing. The sport has a long history and tradition, why the heckins was it so badly bungled?! They went to a ranch to watch horses play with balls but couldn't take the time to actually research the sport?! If you couldn't get it to work properly just say so, don't pass off something that it isn't.
  • Options
    Chemina78Chemina78 Posts: 4 New Member
    @greydonn Thank you for your comment and the help. Yes, I tried restarting my PC and I checked if it has any missing system updates. Maybe it is simply a case of never play on patch day but it is making me grumpy. I was looking forward to completing the shell I prepared for the 64x64, a Nectarium and it is freezing on me again and again. I tried to play on a new safe, with regular prebuilt lots and it lags and stutters. I am curious if others experience the same difficulties.
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member

Welcome to the forums.
    For your problems you should report it here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    @greydonn Thank you for your comment and the help. Yes, I tried restarting my PC and I checked if it has any missing system updates. Maybe it is simply a case of never play on patch day but it is making me grumpy. I was looking forward to completing the shell I prepared for the 64x64, a Nectarium and it is freezing on me again and again. I tried to play on a new safe, with regular prebuilt lots and it lags and stutters. I am curious if others experience the same difficulties.

I hope it smooths itself out. The only other advice I can give, aside from waiting for a hot fix if others are having the same problem, is uninstalling and reinstalling.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    10/10 can't believe that nectar making is a full skill but was not added as a club activity
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Why does my game claim that my Sims household is full? It has 4 Sims and 3 horses, which makes it a 7 total. :(
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Oh, my Sim is getting pregnant again...that's why. Sorry my bad. IDK why my Sim keeps getting pregnant all the time...
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Oh, my Sim is getting pregnant again...that's why. Sorry my bad. IDK why my Sim keeps getting pregnant all the time...

Did she woohoo? :lol:
  • Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    edited July 2023
    Does that confirm that this is the shallowest EP yet? No overarching new gameplay system (Milestones, Clubs, Lifestyles etc.), few new gameplay aside from horses and nectar making, mostly rabbitholes.

At least they seem to have gotten the horses part good! But the rest... It's empty.

Please EA give the sims team more budget
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    10/10 can't believe that nectar making is a full skill but was not added as a club activity

is it full? I thought i heard from a review that it was a 5-level skill maybe I misheard, or dreamt it :D
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    Does that confirm that this is the shallowest EP yet? No overarching new gameplay system (Milestones, Clubs, Lifestyles etc.), few new gameplay aside from horses and nectar making, mostly rabbitholes.

At least they seem to have gotten the horses part good! But the rest... It's empty.

Please EA give the sims team more budget

I question whether it's just about budget.
    When they leaked the catalog and then removed it from the EA store, you could tell that it was lacking new gameplay objects. I think Plumbella gave a good review of the pack that had some constructive criticism. She even mentioned the rocking horse for toddlers.

We don't really get gameplay kits, so I expect new gameplay objects in an expansion pack. That's why you have people wanting stuff packs again because those kits are usually CAS and Build items.