Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is there so little wallpaper and flooring in the game even in the expansions?

SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
I've recently been interacting with The Sims 3, and I've noticed that in addition to the color wheel, each expansion in the game adds many options for wallpaper and floors. Why in The Sims 4, despite the many expansions, do we have so few options? It seems to me that wallpapers and floors require much less work than brand new furniture. Surprisingly Spa Day Game Pack is one of the strongest packs in this category still today.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    We could probably speculate but I doubt anyone actually knows. I've never seen any discussion of it from the Sims team.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    I'm more puzzled why we seem to get so many similar wallpapers like the modern wooden slats x how many times by now
    meanwhile yeah lacking selection in pretty much everything else
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    I've been wondering whether they keep it like that so that people buy kits to get them. In my opinion, some of the best ones came with kits.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I'm more puzzled why we seem to get so many similar wallpapers like the modern wooden slats x how many times by now
    meanwhile yeah lacking selection in pretty much everything else

Well spoted. In my opinion the game is lacking in solid wallpapers. I mean literally solid, flat colours, but with almost every expansion we receive similar wooden patterns. I'm surprised that we didn't receive anything in SDX updates. Long time ago in one hour I made 100 CC swatches even if I'm console player.

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    We should have hundreds by now, it is very sad how few options we really have. Especially for carpets.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited July 2023
    I'm not sure, it looks like they never did add a lot of that. Maybe because they felt the base game wallpaper and flooring worked fine for their suburban american worlds so we mostly got new patterns for unique worlds.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I would love more colour choices for solid colour walls, tile patterns for both walls and floors, and some more of the modern looking wallpapers.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    We should have hundreds by now, it is very sad how few options we really have. Especially for carpets.

I'd love more carpets.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I think there is enough choice for me. What I do miss is
    - sets of match floor tiles and wall tiles for bathroom and toilets. The floor and walls are one design
    - walls with half tiles for kitchen counters and a matching tile free colour for the rest of the room. (jungle adventure has this in one set)
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I would love to have more options, especially with colors! I want more exterior wall colors so i can have many different color houses. Green is very limited in exterior walls. I would also love more shutter colors. Houses sometimes have shutters with brighter colors (like New Orleans and tropical places). Different hues of colors would be nice as well. I would buy a kit with specific styles of wallpaper (interior/exterior) representing different eras without hesitation!
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    edited July 2023
    I basically miss more standard wallpapers, delicate patterns and not the bold stuff that we mostly get. I want wallpapers that can be used in multiple houses, floral patterns etc. Typical bedroom or living room, with 5-10 color swatches each version would make wonders :) But I would rather have different prints with each floor trim versions, than one print and x trim alternatives. Eventually one version with no trim at all, in a bedroom that would still work well. Meanwhile I use many cc walls, and I also created some floral designs myself.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Yeah, I always wondered why we didn’t get more floors and walls too
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    I wish we had colour-wheel for a plain wallpaper (maybe with or without a basic trim at the bottom) and some plain carpets and tiles. It would help in so many situations.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    My guess is in Sims 3 wallpapers and floors were all seperate options even if it's the same pattern but a different colour, while in sims 4 all the colours of a single pattern are in the swatches panel cleaning up the catalogue.
  • Options
    YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Yeah, I always wondered why we didn’t get more floors and walls too
    Yea...me too. It was always very strange to me considering how easy it is to create floors and wallpapers.😕
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The pathetically low number of carpets - especially when you'll see more of your carpet than your wall - definitely irritates me.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 704 Member
    @Simmerville Did you create them with Sim4 studio?
  • Options
    Ziafar wrote: »

Yupp. They can be downloaded from my downloads page (granted they still work, lol)
    https://www.hinsides.no/ts4/registry/downloads.html
  • Options

Yupp. They can be downloaded from my downloads page (granted they still work, lol)
    https://www.hinsides.no/ts4/registry/downloads.html

Oh-ho! I checked the download page and found that those walls were never added! I have no ide why, as they are quite old, except that I intended to but forgot. I've added them now... there were only 3 patterns, I thought there were tons more, but I probably used someone else's CC walls thinking they were created by me, LOL :)
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Thank you very much Simmerville. Next time I open my game I will happily grab them. Are they difficult to make?
  • Options
    RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    edited July 2023
    I have not used in a long time Simsrocuted Behr walls paint and really liked it;https://sims4updates.net/build-mode/behr-walls-at-simsrocuted/

The colors are classic, neutral, and a colormania. Really looks great in the builds.
  • Options
    CC is always a nice addition but keep in mind that we, clonsole players have no access to them. It would be awesome to have another collaboration with CC creators such as Peacemaker_Ic who does amazing CC textures!

splendidpanelling-styles.png

https://legacy.curseforge.com/sims4/build-buy/splendid-panelling/screenshots
  • Options
    Thank you very much Simmerville. Next time I open my game I will happily grab them. Are they difficult to make?

They are not impossible to create, but I found it was too time consuming, so I rather grabbed a few that others had made to save my time for gaming :) You will need to make patterns seamless, but the extra is that with TS4 we have 3 wall heights, so you should actually do that job 3 times for a good result. If only for your own game you can of course make only the height you normally use.
  • Options
    @Simmerville Thank you for the explanation. It does look time consuming. I think I will continue to grag what others have had the courage to make.
  • Options
    After the ceilings patch I miss one additional thing. Solid ceilings/flooring options. I mean literally something we had orginally but with the colour variants.